What Precisely Is The Story Concerning Free Radical Design & RareWare?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insinuendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 insinuendo
Member since 2005 • 3734 Posts

I remember when Time Splitters came out for the Playstation 2 thinking it had an uncanny resemblance to FPS RareWare titles (particularly GoldenEye) and wondering what the the story was, brushing aside a coincidence. Especially considering that, as far as I knew, RareWare was still a Nintendo Third party company, and FRD was certainly not, who developed the latter title.

Back in the early stages of this decade I did not have access to the immense forum that video games have these days. It just occurred to me at work recently of all the crap I've discussed online down the years concerning video games I have never brought this up.

Not a life changing topic, but I do struggle to get a straight answer from the web. I get bits and pieces about coders leaving and forming new studios, but nothing satisfactory.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Long story short, there was a core group of 8 developers at Rare that worked on GoldenEye. They all started work on Perfect Dark, but 4 of them left to form their own company at some point before it was finished, yielding Free Radical. One of the remaining 4 at Rare, Martin Hollis, later left to form yet another company.

There are a lot more details, but basically, they're similar because they were developed by some of the same people. :P

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#3 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

martin hollis is at 'zoonami' i think.

insinuendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 insinuendo
Member since 2005 • 3734 Posts

Long story short, there was a core group of 8 developers at Rare that worked on GoldenEye. They all started work on Perfect Dark, but 4 of them left to form their own company at some point before it was finished, yielding Free Radical. One of the remaining 4 at Rare, Martin Hollis, later left to form yet another company.

There are a lot more details, but basically, they're similar because they were developed by some of the same people. :P

MAILER_DAEMON

Lol. that'll do. You should Wiki that. Christ. I've spent time trying to find a an answer like that. I'll stick to forums in future.