What makes the games you play so great?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

Im curious to see why some gamers choose certain games over others and why they love the games they love so much.

Be honest and tell us why you love your games

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I'm cheap so I buy accordingly. Doesn't really mean that I'll love the game. I love games that are fun and easy to get into. Difficult and thinking games makes my brain hurt :( so I stay away.
imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imetamonster

I can be the same way. I do love hard games. But if im not into a game that is hard, it can be very frusterating.

On some games i dont mind dieing over and over because its just fun.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I find that I tend to be quite drawn to off-beat games that do things differently, which is kind of a problem, because that means I'm often drawn towards games that are not very commercially successful. Games like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon come to mind here. An engaging story and/or interesting characters is also an absolute must for me; while everyone was raving like crazy about Super Mario Galaxy 2, I really couldn't see what the big deal was. Games without either of those aspects are games where I find I have a hard time actually finding a reason to care about what I'm doing in the game.

imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imetamonster

I find that I tend to be quite drawn to off-beat games that do things differently, which is kind of a problem, because that means I'm often drawn towards games that are not very commercially successful. Games like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon come to mind here. An engaging story and/or interesting characters is also an absolute must for me; while everyone was raving like crazy about Super Mario Galaxy 2, I really couldn't see what the big deal was. Games without either of those aspects are games where I find I have a hard time actually finding a reason to care about what I'm doing in the game.

GabuEx

I understand what you mean. Most games i find really fun and fascinating are not extremely successful.

I mostly will look for a game having fun gameplay. And interesting/ loveable characters

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
Starcraft 2, i play this because i love competition and really intense moments where every split second counts. Games go so fast if you get distracted for just a second it might be a lost match. So many decisions to make and not enough time, prioritize and make each decision count. Civilization IV, unlike starcraft 2 you have all the time in the world to make your decisions, so you better make the best decision each time. I love competition and i love submitting my games of to hof.civfanatics.com. I love the strategic aspect and micromanage everything to get the best out of my civilization. The game mechanics are deep and you have to pretty much study the game to get good. I don't like easy games. I love deep strategic games.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Replayability and quality.

kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

Hands down - sotry . All my fav games are RPG's with great story :P

DarkyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkyGamer
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

i love my games cause of gameplay and how long the game lasts i.e story and stuff to do

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Games that are a challenge and take more thinking to play.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The reason I love the games I love is because they rock and are usually original in one way or another.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
the games i usually play are ones with great gameplay and can also require the use of the old noggin from time to time. my top games would be the likes of deus ex1, rome total war, baldurs gate, metroid prime and monster hunter 3.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

well...for me i play games that i like...and if i have to save up...then i do...i do get bored alot with games tho...cause my friends play alot of the same games...(all fps or all rts or all fighting games) so i do go out and buy games that are a genre that i havnt played before just for the difference...like i just picked up heroes of might and magic V...and its a good refreshing change to the bf2142 and sc2 ive been playin

Warpainting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Warpainting
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Pretty simple. Graphics, control, functionality, preface, and level of difficulty. My games have to be challenging or else I will get bored and not feel as if anything was accomplished. My next game purchase is going to be Dead Space for the Move.
Avatar image for deactivated-6040149309c71
deactivated-6040149309c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6040149309c71
Member since 2010 • 718 Posts

Although i normally will play games as a break, i still like them to be challenging, or have a strategic aspect, because i don't like mindless games.

Warpainting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Warpainting
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

Although i normally will play games as a break, i still like them to be challenging, or have a strategic aspect, because i don't like mindless games.

quaappybla
True Dat!!
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Openess, complexity,replay value, and customization.

I want the experience to be my own.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Long games must have good gameplay. Shorter games must have great gameplay and a very good story. In the end I actually don't care, as long as I'm having fun.
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Openess, complexity,replay value, and customization.

I want the experience to be my own.

cprmauldin

These!

XCNormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 XCNormX
Member since 2010 • 466 Posts

Well I want challenging, relaxing type games but ones I'm used to playing, kind of like the post earlier, if I play a challenging game that I haven't experienced yet or that I'm not use to playing then I can get quite frustrated. I also want replay value in a game. Of course my favorite games are the Devil May Cry series, Kingdom Hearts series, and Assassin's Creed series. And even though these games don't fit together, I'm getting my hack and slash on with DMC while enjoying a good story and if I choose can be very challenging. I get my action and RPG on with Kingdom Hearts again enjoying a great story, and if I choose can be very challenging and has a decent replay value. And last I get my action and adventure on with Assassin's Creed while..again enjoying a great story, somewhat challenging but relaxing, and great replay value.

Thats pretty much what makes me play them games and others like it. And a good multiplayer is always good aswell.

cheynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 cheynz
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Story is what draws me into the game but thats after i buy it. Sometimes i buy from other people telling me how good it is and there are some where it was a sequel to a game that i bought because of the others and a few times i went out on a limb and bought it to try it or because the cover or name looked cool.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Perhaps studying human psychology would help you understand morso.. There are some great courses

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I love story and character interaction while I am also very picky about the games that I play as time is limited, especially when RPGs are ones favorite genre. So all the RPGs that I get have a certain appeal that makes the game a lot of fun for me.

Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kori-san
Member since 2010 • 604 Posts

I generally prefer 3rd-person experiences, whether action, platforming, multiplyer, etc. It's not so much the "hype" of a game that draws me "in" anymore but the mechanics involved that keep me playing. Some favorite franchises of mine (milked or not) Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, DarkSiders, etc (you get the point). I play many many games when the time allows, however 3rd-person action games with multiple difficulty settings I hold onto the most.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Hour #1: "This game is pretty fun"

Hour #20: "This game is pretty fun"

That about sums it up for me.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

In most games I look for a good story, a game where you need to think tactically, moral choices, gear that you can choose from, and amazing music.

The only game that goes against these points is Diablo 2. It's just sooo addicting.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I like where I actually learn something, even it's not Math Blaster. Well, it'd probably be better called improve, rather than learning some new subject. Take Ninja Gaiden Black. Once Master Ninja is normalcy, a lot of other games that require parrying or quick-senses are more accessible at higher levels (Street Fighter) or outright easier in comparison (SoulCalibur).
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Story

or believability

or

fun gameplay