What makes a great game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dansnipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dansnipe
Member since 2005 • 237 Posts
With gaming on the brink of turning up a notch or two this year, i started pondering. what truely makes a game great? for me its depth of plot. but i was wondering what others felt about it, i know graphics are an important factor as is playability, what makes games great for everyone else?
CGavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 CGavin
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts
Depth and Re-playability.  I can't stand spending money on a game and then not playing it any longer because I beat it after a week or so.  Diversity is very important.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#3 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
A great game needs to have satisfying gameplay, decent graphic/or superb, great audio, great story and plot(if the game has any), and replay value.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
I think having great characters and a great plot goes a long way to making a game great. But it depends. You don't really need either to make a great FPS or RTS or sports game. But I'm a sucker for a good story and charcters I can empathize with.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

It depends on the genre, but I'll list what I can:

Action: Fast paced action that never lets up

RPG: A grand story and inticing gameplay

Strategy: Having to actually come up with strategies and know how to apply them

Puzzle: Addictiveness. That's it.

Fighting:  Challenging gameplay that's easy to get into

Racing: Upgrading cars and challenging opponents

Sports games: I don't know, seeing the crack sweat on this season's John Madden Pic? :? 

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#6 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Definitely diversity, I have played many games that ended up becoming a chore to finish instead of a joy!
rottenjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 rottenjoe
Member since 2006 • 905 Posts
nice graphics, nice story, good gameplay, and if it is online, it must have tons of options..
jbdb1345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 jbdb1345
Member since 2005 • 810 Posts

unlike most people the anwser is not graphics thats only a part of it.

what makes a game great is the plot the gameplay the graphics the enjoyment level and what makes a game great in your own mind and what makes a game great to eveyrone else are two totally different things.so don't go around saying this game is great if everybody disagrees keep it to yourself! GRAPHICS AREN'T EVERYTHING!!!

dansnipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dansnipe
Member since 2005 • 237 Posts
for the record i never said graphics make a gr8 game lol i just wanted to get a feel for how graphics rate when compared to plot etc the perfect example is Deus Ex: imersive plot, well developed characters. graphics dont even play a part. on the opposite side yo uahve games like Just Cause. Virtually no thought out plot, but new graphics technology. i just wanted to see how many other people thought plot makes a game that lives forever :P
zeppelin6591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zeppelin6591
Member since 2005 • 1332 Posts

Better graphics

More nudity

Less talking

Chainsaws 

Jedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#11 Jedo
Member since 2003 • 1094 Posts

The words "Metal Gear" in the title lol

Generally: a good amount of stuff to do; balance between too hard and too easy; either advanced or well used graphics; longativity; originality

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
its hard to explaine what is good it really a good idea makes a good game
NinjaBlade753

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 NinjaBlade753
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts
I like a good story, fun gameplay, and replayability. Graphics help too.
Stieuweneeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stieuweneeg
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
It's not one thing which makes a game great.. It's a whole bunch of things which all add up to playability. and graphics have some influence but not much.. it's probably the "new and innovating" factor which some games have, and these games are almost immediately great..
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

What truly makes a great game for me is when it seems to transcend the player/system interface.  When I can play a game and feel like it's an extension of my fingers where I don't even need to think about what I'm doing and am fully immersed......that to me makes a game incredible.

It's almost like the game is "molding" itself to you when you play it.  Few games have ever accomplished this, but The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is one that pops immediately to mind.

This aspect is what makes a game great and is more important than all others.

So I suppose it's playability.  That is the core of what makes a game great.  Everything else is just building off of that foundation.

toldale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 toldale
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I agree with most people that a great game is created by its depth in plot and excitement of seeing sequels amerge, although i personally enjoy games such as counterstrike source in which you can have fun for hours in a community of gamers but not really feel you have achieved anything. Graphics are important and a great physics side to a game can make it more enjoyable. (no good shooting a bottle and it just stayin still). Maybe future games will be affected with lighting more so when a grenade is sent into a room, the explosion will knock out the lights. Hopefully only time and technology will make the gaming world even more exciting than what it already is. Tom!
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

In a singleplayer game, I know the game is going to suck. Events are scripted. Bots are stupid. Levels are the same no matter how many times you play it. That's why the only redeeming factor is the story. But 9/10 it's the same SAVE THE WORLD bs that I'm sick of.

In a multiplayer game, I want a game where I'm facing people of my own skill level. Playing against a total noob or a pro just isn't going to end well.

I hate RPGs, reflex games are... eh, but my main forte is strategy. 

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
What makes a good game is that it does not suck.
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trylks
Member since 2005 • 1948 Posts

The only thing that a game needs to be good is to be fun. Now the question would be what makes a fun game? but that is a hard question about which books could be written if someone had the necessary knowledge.

X-Faktor0858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 X-Faktor0858
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
A great game must have a deep storyline.....lots of action and different twists during the storyline.....and should keep you interested for more than three days lol.
rwrden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rwrden
Member since 2003 • 342 Posts
story and replayability