What makes a game truly Next-Gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts

They shoved it down our ears for months and months. The next gen is finally comfortably here and i still have yet to see anything, besides graphics and cover-systems, that make any new games actually next gen.

the only games i think are actually going to make everyone realize what advancing games really is (since updated graphics is a given, everyone knows graphics are always going to get better, why does everyone acted so amazed when they see better graphics?!?!?!) are Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet and maybe a few others, but those two are the only two that seemed to be doing things in whole new ways. mgs4 will introduce dozens of new features, gameplay mechanics, story telling techniques, and much more - let alone graphics. and littlebigplanet is introducing what is practically an entirely new genre of gameplay- thats what is truly NEXT-GEN to me. what about you?

what do you think makes a game truly next-gen????

n00b1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 n00b1337
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts

To be honest I never really think about games in terms of whether or not they qualify as "next gen". The term is simply bandied about by marketers for hype whenever a new line of gaming system comes out, it has been happening for years and years.

I guess when I hear the term now all I think about is "better graphics", which is normally the most obvious step (as a result of more processing power) between generations.

I suppose that if a system comes out that doesn't really push processing power and markets itself on other changes (i.e. the wii and motion controls) then the term "next gen" and what it implies really is up for a lot of debate.

Dreamable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Dreamable
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

Well its hard to say what a next gen game is. Especially now that we're pretty far into the current gen. But for me personally the first "next-gen" experiance I had was Motorstorm. I played what I think was a demo in a store back early '07. I was with some friends and we were just standing by the PS3 stand for like a good 20-30 minutes. It was really quite awe inspiring, and very cool. Now that I have Motorstorm in my home it doesn't give the same feeling, b ut it still awesome fun :D.

But back to the topic... I think a next gen game needs graphics, story, and gameplay that is all better than most of the games last gen

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
any game with graphics that are above anything seen before, with better gameplay than previous games... and any game that runs at least at a playable framerate... which is rare these days since almost every crap game on consoles runs below a playable framerate... gta 4 is almost unbearable... it isn't next gen at all, with all the blurry graphics it should run over 100 fps.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

To be honest I never really think about games in terms of whether or not they qualify as "next gen". The term is simply bandied about by marketers for hype whenever a new line of gaming system comes out, it has been happening for years and years.

I guess when I hear the term now all I think about is "better graphics", which is normally the most obvious step (as a result of more processing power) between generations.

I suppose that if a system comes out that doesn't really push processing power and markets itself on other changes (i.e. the wii and motion controls) then the term "next gen" and what it implies really is up for a lot of debate.

n00b1337

Agreed. I get the feeling that people are expecting some massive 2D to 3D type leap forward, and its just not going to come.

Potts1350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Potts1350
Member since 2008 • 456 Posts
My definition is pretty simple: A game with unique/new features and ideas never used before in games that add to the overall idea of what a good game is(good graphics, good story, fun gameplay, replayability) and next gen games aren't only because of the console but because mostly because of the people making the game
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts
Next gen in my definition is something new like ronnie's idea, something big like Mario and Sonic going 3-D
morph_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 morph_basic
Member since 2002 • 1672 Posts
To me, next-gen is anything that makes me go "wow" or just feel...totally immersed and in awe. It doesn't even have to be with things that are new, but I have to get that feeling. An example is when I went from SNES to N64 and played Goldeneye. Goldeneye was one of those moments. Also, Ocarina of Time in terms of just sheer...amazingness. When I first played Ocarina of Time, my head was spinning in joy for days. The gameplay, music, graphics, environment, everything... the feeling was amazing, and times like those I qualify as next-gen. The first Halo was next-gen for me too.
Uma-Chan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Uma-Chan
Member since 2005 • 14901 Posts
A game is "next-gen" to me when it can run smoothly without any problems that plagued the last-gen games for example..stupid AI, horrible camera, etc etc..
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Graphics are given so...

If it's a sequel, gameplay should be improved and a lot of new features.

If it's a new game, it should have something that not a single previous gen game has.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
only graphics, all others are available in all gens.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
So, what was so revolutionary last gen? "Generations" are just marketing speak. They just herald the new era of hardware. What devs do with them is irrelevant.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
For me, basically the game has to offer something I feel wouldn't have been possible at all in the previous generation. The Wii I don't quite hold to this standard. It sort of has its own- it has to do something with motion sensing that truly adds something to the game that wouldn't be possible with standard controllers or use it in a way I couldn't have imagined before seeing that particular game.
vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts
That its not the present. A PS4 is next gen, while the PS3 is current gen.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

They shoved it down our ears for months and months. The next gen is finally comfortably here and i still have yet to see anything, besides graphics and cover-systems, that make any new games actually next gen.

ronniepage588

Really, that's all you've seen from this generation?

Maybe you should pay closer attention or play some better games?

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20983 Posts
A game is next-gen if it appears on a next-gen console. That is all.