What lessons should the gaming industry learn from this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I stole this thread idea from another forum I frequent.

What do you want to see in the next-generation of gaming. It's looming just over the horizon. We've already seen Nintendo 3DS. We've seen previews of Wii U and Sony Vita (PSP 2). We're also starting to hear rumblings on the internet of the next XBox and Playstation, and now I've even heard that rumors that Apple is considering a console next-gen due to gaming's success on the iPhone and iPod.

So what should the next-generation do right that this generation did wrong?

1. Focus less on flashy graphics, and more on gameplay and level-design.

2. Quit nickel-and-diming us on DLC.

3. Less sequels, more original games.

4. Quit punishing the consumer for buying used. No other entertainment industry (movies, CDs, books, comic books, etc.) are whining about it. And this crap Capcom is gonna pull with one save file per game is freaking stupid.

5. I know this is something that is probably inevitable, but this is all my opinion, right? Quit moving towards direct-to-drive/console games. I want my physical media. I can't trade or sell downloaded games that I ended up not enjoying.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Stop making shooters, for the love of god, ever other game does not need to be a variation of a shooter.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

Drop the motion control BS.

And stop trying to shoehorn Multiplayer into everything.

CD-i_ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 CD-i_ownz
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

Fun Fact: from the money's point of view, all of these are the definate way to go.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

add value by lowering the price rather than raising it and adding in junk. collectors editions are completely the wrong idea. dont try to make consumers justify higher prices. publishers should be justifying lower prices with higher sales.

consoles didnt do this so wrong, but its a trend that should be continued: digital distribution. with development costs rising and limiting the types of games being made, DD lessens the restrictions. new ideas and different experiences are good for everyone. gamers get a broader range of choices, developers get to make the games they want, and publishers sell more games. i couldnt care less about app crap, but platforms for the limbo's of the world are good for gaming. next generation, id like to see lessened DRM, more chances for different developers, and more experiments with episodic and segmented content.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Fun Fact: from the money's point of view, all of these are the definate way to go.

CD-i_ownz

This, sadly, and I have a bad feeling that many of these issues are going to get worse before they get better, especially considering that development costs are only going to get higher when the next generation rolls around.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts
1) you can nickle and dime people on the software but not the hardware. people seem to be more price sensitive on the hardware than software. you dont need to sell at a loss but a clear price gouge will be spotted. 2) focus on more DLC in its various forms. it sells well on all platforms that have it. 3) try and have a rounded portfolio of games for all mainstream markets. 4) if you a small developer then stay the hell away from consoles. the only time an indie dev should make a console game is if the manufacturer is prepared to bankroll it. PC, phones, tablets, internet based stuff....this is the way to go. wiiware, XBLA and PSN are not really worth the hassle. 5) unless you are blizzard and have a game called world of warcraft....dont charge a monthly fee for your MMO. it will fail, the userbase will quickly die off and you will struggle. the f2p model has consistently proven to be more lucerative for MMOs not called WOW. 6) graphics and tech are not the be all and end all. in fact most of the highest selling games this gen are technically in shabby shape. from COD to just dance.....nothing impressive in the tech department about them and yet they sell by the truck load. 7) the hardcore gamer is ultra conservative. once you have a formula thats a hit in that market change nothing. they just want more of the same. 8 ) the casual market is fickle. there more open to new ideas but getting one to become a hit is hard (and mostly luck based it seems). also the KISS mantra is essential for that market. 9) people of all markets like hats.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
So is this just a wishlist thread? As far as actual lessons; Gimmicks are short-lived
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#9 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Do not make a game where you cannot delete saved data.
doomguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 doomguy9
Member since 2011 • 355 Posts

Put more effort into your single player campaigns, I'm getting sick of all those 4-5 hours campaigns.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Consoles shouldnt be more than 400 dollars.

You can have gimmicks, but dont RELY on them.

Stop DLC, for games like CoD that make its money back 10x DLC should be free to reward their fanbase.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

What osan0 said.

Also majority of the consumers are casuals and iditos willing to pay for content that ships on disc...

Thelibarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Thelibarr
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts
Something I am surprised haven't been talked about more is integrated screenshot sharing in the console. I mean there should be a button on the side of the controller that can be pressed at any time in any game and instantaneously take a snapshot. Then when the game is finished you open up the dashboard and look at your 100 recently taken photos, shoose one and upload to your profile. A little extension of this would be to hold that button and by doing so activate video recording on the screen (that you later can upload just like pictures).
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

consoles that transport casual gamers into another dimension forever, plus the end of screen tearing!!

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#15 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I'm hopeful that the industry won't eventually go completely to motion-based gaming. To me, a regular, old-fashioned controller wins over motion control any day.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
You don't need to make a completely new game for a game to sell alot. Change a few things from a past game and then slap the number 2 on it.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

5) unless you are blizzard and have a game called world of warcraft....dont charge a monthly fee for your MMO. it will fail, the userbase will quickly die off and you will struggle. the f2p model has consistently proven to be more lucerative for MMOs not called WOW.osan0

No, most MMOs have monthly fees and there are many that have historically done quite well (Ultima, DAoC, EQ, EVE, Star Wars Galaxies, FFXI, etc). WoW just makes everything else look like a failure in comparison because of how absurdly huge it is. The big reason why most MMOs fail is that they don't have enough endgame content to keep people playing after they finish leveling. Or rather, they don't come out with new endgame content fast enough. There have been a lot of MMOs in the past few years that were off to a very good start but then nose-dived because there wasn't enough endgame content to hold people over until new content was patched in. WoW could actually have been killed by now had some developers not taken the mindset that endgame content wasn't important to have ready before or very shortly after launch.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Stop making games 10 hours perhaps lol//Work hard for my money..Its nuts that these devs toss in 10 hours of game=play and ask people for sixty bucks..Also how about more new ips stop being scared..Get creative again..Im tired of 1 2 3 4 already..Seams like you get a hit its got to have sequels..The days of the original ip is over..Now we are lucky if we get maybe 2 new ips a year..Not enough in my book,..

Novemberrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Novemberrr
Member since 2011 • 163 Posts
I pretty much agree with every point you make. I really wish game companies would steer away from casual games in the near future and I'd love more risks to be taken instead of taking the easy way out and adding a '2' or 'II' to the end of a game and shipping it out. :(
imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

stop with the non stop sequels that are nothing but rehash

Seriosuly... its depressing. I hate playing a sequel that is basically the first game.

Whatever happend to evolution in games?

Thats just a huge turn off for me.... In fact i seem to strongly dislike a game after this happens...

might be unfair but i miss the old days where sequels actually made a indent in the series history. that really improved and changed.

As a kid my favorite memories were when playing a sequel that was really different but kept the same feeling in the game. It always kept me interested and playing.

And actually make original games.

Honestly i cant tell the difference between many games these days...

Just feel like its all going downhill...

sorry... Had to let that all out... Was just boiling inside me.... like a boily bowl of soup at the top off a volcano that is way to hot to eat because its just to boily

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The only takeaway should be that releasing systems at a price point higher than $300 is a horrible idea.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

That two things are fundamentally and thoroughly lame:

1.$599 US DOLLARS

2. Busted-ass plots involving nanomachines.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Multiplayer is the only thing I can really think of. It doesn't need to feature in every game.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Thing that have to go: ================= 1.) DLC that comes included on the disc you bought but is locked out by developers so they can charge extra for it on day one. Examples are Bioshock 2 and Resident Evil 5 off the top of my head. Shady, shady, shady! 2.) Five hour long games at $60. Are you serious? 3.) Everything having a tacked on multiplayer feature. I'm sure everyone is going to be playing Kane and Lynch and Bioshock online over Cod, Battlefield, Halo and Killzone. Oh wait..... 4.) Everything being released in the fall. Guys..... there are like 12 games that I want to buy this fall, but I have had nothing to play of any real interest for months now. Can't afford that sorry looks like ill be renting the majority of them. If releases were more staggered throughout the year id buy more new games. 5.) Bioware dumbing down their games. Stop it, stop it! Bad Bioware. 6.) Motion controllers. WE DON'T CARE. 7.) Hideo Kojima.-----> **** you.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Look at Braid, use every single lesson learned by that game.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Nintendo should learn not to neglect third-party support!!!

The industry in general has to learn to be more original,and more DARING.

Why not make sexual games?

And unique ones?