What is up with modern gaming?(message to veteran dudes)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

adrigt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 adrigt
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

It feels like it's not as big(gaming) as it used to be...

Now you are probably going to say that there are far bigger sale numbers than in the old times , and that is true ( see 20 m Call of duty sales with each game).

It seems to me that in the old days the gaming community was more evenly distributed between games (as far as population goes) whereas nowadays there are fewer stronger games , like call of duty , halo , gears , etc etc...

I noticed that because searching forums through the internet for very old games (like jedi knight: jedi academy , or wh 40k:soulstorm and many others) showed me that these games kept active for years and years to come.

Why is that for example , the force unleashed 2 has nowhere the amount of forums and discussion that jedi academy had despite the bigger salers?

Same with dawn of war 2 retribution , the game looks almost dead , no discussion going on at all and judging by the internet you could say dawn of war 1 is more active.

I know both of these old games have strong modding communities but i think it's not only that , i think gaming communities are starting to change.They are becoming dudes who just play the game and move on( not something bad or good) and not dudes who would take the time to discuss the game on forums and learn the ins and outs of it.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

I think it has to do with the sheer amount of games coming out nowadays. People finish one and move on because it seems like if you don't, you're missing out. Me, I play games from any gen. I just bought a used Genesis and me and my kids are loving it. But certain games just have stronger communities than others. And some games just have a higher replay value than others as well, whereas some are meant for more of an 'instant consumption' if that makes sense. I don't mind either way. They can make all the games and styles they want, I can find something to play, even if it is old. And I've recently learned like I said with my kids and the Genesis, good games will hold the same appeal.

adrigt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 adrigt
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

I think it has to do with the sheer amount of games coming out nowadays. People finish one and move on because it seems like if you don't, you're missing out. Me, I play games from any gen. I just bought a used Genesis and me and my kids are loving it. But certain games just have stronger communities than others. And some games just have a higher replay value than others as well, whereas some are meant for more of an 'instant consumption' if that makes sense. I don't mind either way. They can make all the games and styles they want, I can find something to play, even if it is old. And I've recently learned like I said with my kids and the Genesis, good games will hold the same appeal.

CDuG

that is probably it , the amount of games.

i do miss however the old school strong communities that would know EVERYTHING about the game :D

thanks for the reply

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

If you want a good online community then check out Dark Souls. Everytime I had a question I would get replies on the forum within five minutes. I think it depends on the game and the following it has gotten.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

in terms of strategy discussion and guides, there are still plenty of those but i think fewer people people need them nowadays. major releases are a bit easier and thats partly by intention and partly by developer ability.

in terms of general discussion, its easy to pick a classic game from generations past, ignore the mediocre games of that time, and then compare that classic game to a mediocre game from this generation. i just dont think indicative of anything.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

CDuG mentioned the sheer amount of games?Actually the library of games usually gets smaller with each generation. It takes longer to make games, hence why they are actually less games. The ps2, 64 & Snes/Genesis days had far larger libraries.

Modern gaming is insane. Its verydifferent intodays world. I think its honestly has alot to do with how popular the MP mode has become. It seems gamers just like to stick with one or 2 games these days & then they run around online shooting each other over & over again. People just dont pay attention to anything else these days, or at least dont care for anything else the way they once did. Now its alll about the online shooting competition.

I think its just more & more people are becoming less of gamers. Back in the day we use to play everything but now gamers will only pay attention to a few games & those games are only big blockbusters. Usually shooters. The ADHD is everyone is starting to take over. I just think people have forgotten the gamer they once were. I always pay attention to a huge variety of gamers, big or small but others just dont have the same passion for gaming. They're too busy trying hard to be the best on the scoreboards on their favorite MP game.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I really have no idea. Just a guess, but maybe trophies / achievements have something to do with it? I know back in the PS2 era, if I loved a game I might play it 6 or 7 times just to enjoy it. Now, once I get the platinum for a game, I feel like there's nothing left to accomplish and it's time to move on.

Or maybe it's marketing. The publishers advertise the hell out of games, and the gaming sites are very complicit in hyping up the big releases to the point where you just ain't nobody unless you run out and buy this thing on release day. But then again, didn't they always advertise the hell out of games? But maybe something subtle has changed.

Or maybe it's that every game is a sequel these days. Who's going to play last year's game when there's a new one out now? I suppose multiplayer has a lot to do with that as the online community for the old game will die as soon as the new one comes out.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

When you were a kid you were playing VIDEO GAMES!!!

Now, you're an adult and its just a video game.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

CDuG mentioned the sheer amount of games?Actually the library of games usually gets smaller with each generation. It takes longer to make games, hence why they are actually less games. The ps2, 64 & Snes/Genesis days had far larger libraries.

Modern gaming is insane. Its verydifferent intodays world. I think its honestly has alot to do with how popular the MP mode has become. It seems gamers just like to stick with one or 2 games these days & then they run around online shooting each other over & over again. People just dont pay attention to anything else these days, or at least dont care for anything else the way they once did. Now its alll about the online shooting competition.

I think its just more & more people are becoming less of gamers. Back in the day we use to play everything but now gamers will only pay attention to a few games & those games are only big blockbusters. Usually shooters. The ADHD is everyone is starting to take over. I just think people have forgotten the gamer they once were. I always pay attention to a huge variety of gamers, big or small but others just dont have the same passion for gaming. They're too busy trying hard to be the best on the scoreboards on their favorite MP game.

brucecambell

Yes but take into consideration the life span of the PS2 and the N64. The current gens are at the halfway point of that and still pumping out games. I'm not comparing a total quantity but it seems to me that there are more games being put out overall per year let's say then there was last gen. Maybe I'm wrong but that is how it feels. I look at the PS2 library, and older than that as well, PSOne, or further back still and in my mind at least, because those games are already made I feel I have all the time in the world to get them and play them at my pace. Whereas current gen it constantly feels like if you don't play the games they're pushing now you'll miss out and get lost in a sea of games as newer and better oens will be out in a month practically. I don't fall into this belief and actualy play to it, as I've bought maybe 10 games this gen as compared to the massive PS2 library I have and am still collecting. But I feel it, a weird sort of gamers pressure to get "with the times" and be buying every new thing that hits the stores. I know I'm in the minority and I'm not judging those who do buy every new game as I'm sure many of them are good. But I like to wait for the hype to pass and judge a game on my own terms I guess, and my own time.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The sheer amount of games released now and days people have to be picky on what they buy

Since September I've bought Warhammer 40k spacemarine,Geow 3,BF3,MW3,Saints Row The Third,Batman AC,Skyrim,Uncharted 3,Dark Souls and Zelda SS.

Mac8457

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Mac8457
Member since 2005 • 2624 Posts

crimsonman1245
Perfect answer right there. This answer goes with a previous topic as well about games being dumbed down nowadays. Maybe they just seemed that way because we were younger. Who knows... But I do think it was bigger when we were young because it was new and weren't spoiled with video games then. Now we are and things just don't seem as grand as we remember.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

Mac8457

Perfect answer right there. This answer goes with a previous topic as well about games being dumbed down nowadays. Maybe they just seemed that way because we were younger. Who knows... But I do think it was bigger when we were young because it was new and weren't spoiled with video games then. Now we are and things just don't seem as grand as we remember.

Unless it's Skyrim, Dark Souls, or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Those games are really set apart from a lot of the other games to have come out this gen of gaming (ps3/360 era), and are all very grand in one way or another (often in many ways).

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

What is up with old people?

PAPERWARIO89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PAPERWARIO89
Member since 2011 • 128 Posts

I blame COD,Halo,and Mario party.:)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm not getting this at all. Do you mean multiplayer communities? And if you do, did you know that console online multiplayer only became big this generation? PC communities are bigger than ever, and many people are still playing decade old games (like Counter Strike). I'm not seeing the issue here. Gaming is a bigger industry and more popular than ever, and online communities are gigantic compared to a decade ago. So what is "smaller" exactly?
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

yeah, people don't play their games as thoroughly. I try to get the most out of mine, but many people are buying 3-4 games a month and zipping through them rather than 5-6 games a year and really playing them.