What is the future of real time 3D graphics in an age of perfection?

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#1 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

Not that it matters. The game industry will die by the hands of AAA studios and their insatiable greed but when are we going to get to the level of Blur studios?

Games now have generic looking depth of field, flat spaghetti hair effects, stiffish animation, cheap cloth effects, post processing and motion blur but most importantly normal looking anti-aliasing that just makes things look sharp.

I mean I'm astonished how in some ways a CG cutscene from 2004 looks better than a modern game. And GOW Ragnarok is dang beautiful but despite the puddy looking skin just look at this-

But this is my honest opinion. I don't think games will look like live footage for more than a second. Now there are rare cases like Bayonetta where cutscenes have a nice cinematic buffer.

But what are your thoughts? I guess it will happen when the RTX 7060 drops. Perhaps Unreal 7. Or some fancy inhouse engine Greed studios will be tight lipped about lol.

Avatar image for hamiltonrichard
HamiltonRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 HamiltonRichard
Member since 2023 • 91 Posts

Well, let's not be so pessimistic about the game industry's fate! But I do agree with you that it's frustrating when game graphics don't quite live up to our expectations. Maybe we just need to start a petition to hire Blur studios for all game development? In the meantime, let's just appreciate the games for what they are and hope for even better graphics in the future.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#3 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

@hamiltonrichard: They did do the Rango game after all.