What is next for Valve

This topic is locked from further discussion.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
What is next for Valve after Half Life Two Episode 3 comes out hopefully later this year??? Will they make a Portal II??? Or a Half Life 3??? Who knows...
fred1712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fred1712
Member since 2005 • 1220 Posts
Portal 2 was already announced. Its called Portal: Still alive. and its coming to XBLA
Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

Portal 2 was already announced. Its called Portal: Still alive. and its coming to XBLAfred1712

Are you sure? What if its simply a map pack? Or a re-release? We dont know yet.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

Episode 4 seems like the best bet. Considering how slow they work it may not show until 2030. For a company that put on a big show about how great episodic content was they sure are doing a rotten job at getting this stuff out the door. Maybe they should abandon the episodes and go build Half-Life 3.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts

Maybe they should abandon the episodes and go build Half-Life 3.

Drosa

Well Episode 3 has been announced, but I think they are better off making a whole new game. Half Life 2 was a Masterpiece. I was starstruck when playing. It was one of the most engrossing games I have ever played.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Episode 4 seems like the best bet. Considering how slow they work it may not show until 2030. For a company that put on a big show about how great episodic content was they sure are doing a rotten job at getting this stuff out the door. Maybe they should abandon the episodes and go build Half-Life 3.

Drosa

That's what they're doing. Gabe Newell said that he was displeased with the way episodic content turned out and that they would probably be returning to traditional development for HL3 (IIRC. I believe he said that in the same interview where he lamented not naming the episodes Half-Life 3: Episode 1/2/3).

Portal 2 was already announced. Its called Portal: Still alive. and its coming to XBLAfred1712

No, that's just a map pack. Portal 2 is pretty much a guarantee at this point (since Valve has stated their intention to make it and they've already started hiring voice actors for the game) but it won't be released until at least next year.

Anyway, HL2:E3 isn't coming out this year. There's been no information on it, not even a teaser trailer, so its pretty safe to say that it won't be getting released any time soon. Right now Valve's schedule of releases will probably involve Left 4 Dead and Portal: Still Alive being released this year, and then Episode 3 and Portal 2 getting released in Q4 2009. After that we'll probably see one or two more Source engine games come out of Valve before HL3 gets released in like 2010 or 2011.

In_Vino_Verita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 In_Vino_Verita
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts
A solid Half-Life 3 would be the best case scenario. Im tired of all that episode junk.
gleb2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gleb2006
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts

After Half life 2: Episode 3

I would hope Half Life 3 would be announced, being worked on the same crew as all the time... Pray for no Codecs being stolen :P... But Half life 3 would be great, Since for me It's the Series of our Generation.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

After Half life 2: Episode 3

I would hope Half Life 3 would be announced, being worked on the same crew as all the time... Pray for no Codecs being stolen :P... But Half life 3 would be great, Since for me It's the Series of our Generation.

gleb2006

I assume HL:3 or portal 2

eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts
yea they got left for dead coming up. but yea itll defintly b half life 3 will b the next b thing and portal 2. the portal thing thats happening on XBLA is just additional maps to the original game
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
Another Half Life would be nice but all i'm thinking about is Left 4 Dead.
Thunderlip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Thunderlip
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
Left 4 dead is comming out soon, its gonna be really cool. And I think its gonna run off the source engine.
kdsns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kdsns
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

I always said that all this episodic BS was silly. I really enjoyed EP1 and EP2 but really, theyre nothing compared to what Half Life 3 could have been. Everyone was saying "what a cool idea!" when they first announced it, but now the magic has worn off and people are realizing that a whole new game would have been a better choice. I keep on thinking about what it would have been like had valve never released Half Life 2 and instead done this episodic crap with the original game.

Besides, Valve's whole point was to take up less time creating these packages and giving us more content faster. But look at whats happened: EP 3 wont be released until 2009. Thats 5 years since Half life 2 came out. In 6 years (maybe 7) they could have done Half life 3, and it would have been a hell of a lot more incredible then all these little expansions.