Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

So, even though I posted the same kind of question in the "Off-topic thread" regarding movies...I want to know what horror games scared you thus far. In order or not.

Alien Isolation I wouldn't call it "scary" per say. But it's definitely suspenseful.

Outlast Good jump scares.

Slenderman the Arrival Great atmosphere. Scary

F.E.A.R I can't play this one alone. The original is still to this day the scariest game I've played. Idk what it is. Alma maybe? Lol

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

The first Silent Hill for ps1 scares the absolute shit outta me, even today. I really wish Konami didn’t jack up the “remastered” collection for ps4 ‘cause I never got to play the other ones.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

Resident evil 1 and 2 still have those scares in places. The genre really has started to wind down which is worrying hopefully the 2 remake will kick start it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

It's difficult for anything to generally scare me anymore, I don't think one has made me generally scared since Gamecube.

Simply because I've played too many Survival Horror games. Never played them for the cheap scares though, played more for the sense of hopelessness and tension. Having to overly think of my options and resources. I was playing and 100%ing The Evil Within 2 and Demento last year and they did a good job. Resident Evil 7 did also to a less extent due to how on rails and scripted the game was, that breaks immersion for me_

I don't think the Remake of Resi2 will give me a single jump-scare either, however I will get that sense I'm going to get my face eaten off around the next corner commonly. And that's why I like Survival Horror.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10517 Posts

i'm replaying my old 360 copy of dead space on the xbox at the minute, in between other games. it's, at times, really tense, it's got a great visual style, the pacing is fast, the enemy design is inventive and the combat is challenging. it's not particularly scary but it has its moments. it's lots of fun and holds up well.

as far as genuine scares go, alien isolation is the only game that has ever, at times, terrified me lol. the apollo core and alien nest mission was horrifying. oh and the first third or so of resident evil 7 in vr. shit, that was really intense.

@speeny said:

F.E.A.R I can't play this one alone. The original is still to this day the scariest game I've played. Idk what it is. Alma maybe? Lol

fear is one of my favourite shooters but the alma moments were too brief and few and far between for the encounters to be anything other than a novelty from what i remember

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@RSM-HQ: from whats been shown of Resi 2 remake so far it looks like a straight up action game like Res 4,5,6

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ

@thehig1: I disagree, looks to have focus on light resources, and importance of management. Over giving endless supplies and instant-kill dropkicks.

Vocal minority 'purists'/ or as I prefer to call them 'nostalgic-ranters' are claiming Remake2 is Resi5/6 entirely on the perspective choice. And that's a clear over-exaggeration, I imagine these are the same few that still shout "Crapcom".

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thehig1

@RSM-HQ: im pretty much in that camp still salty its not in remake style.

Looking at the gameplay videos you seem to have a ton of ammo, emenies are bullet sponges and the controls are tight.

Too me that's an action game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ

@thehig1: Series was never about fixed camera angles. And don't get me wrong, I love Remake, grabbed a Gamecube for that game.

However Resi was about deciding to pick your items when needed, problem solving to progress (do I shotgun this Licker or run around and save ammo for something I cannot avoid that can eat my face with ease). Actions having consequences.

Looking at the gameplay videos you seem to have a ton of ammo, emenies are bullet sponges and the controls are tight.

Too me that's an action game.

I admittedly stopped at the e3 hype trailers, I'm going spoiler free for release (why would I spoil a Survival Horror game?). Yet if we end up with too much ammo? I will be pretty negative on the game, hoping for more The Evil Within series or early Resi in being stingy for supplies.

Resi7 was ok at it early-on, but mid to end game we're jacked with ammunition even on hardest difficulty.

The way (good) Survival Horror games balance ammo was sponge bosses, and have them plentiful, with follow-up areas with no supplies, or light, with many enemies. This is what I expect from Resi2Remake.

I cannot comment on what you've seen, but my guess is a demo build in which has plenty of ammo coded in so the player can beat it without issue. And not a reflection of the final product 'hopefully'.

Eitherway I didn't get a Action game vibe, I didn't see wrestling moves, constant cool one-liners, or Leon flipping like he was born for Kung-Fu movies. DMC5 however? Certainly got that vibe.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehig1

@RSM-HQ: you cant speak for other people's experiences to me it was about the fixed camera angles.

Everything I love about the original games cannot be recreated with over the shoulder and right accurate controls its not really possible.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
@thehig1 said:

@RSM-HQ: you cant speak for other people's experiences to me it was about the fixed camera angles.

Seems you misunderstood, was reflecting what makes a Survival Horror game, a Survival Horror game. The genre isn't defined by a camera perspective. Which developers have heavily stated was done due to hardware limitations. Classic Resident Evil was originally intended to be FP after all.

If fixed cameras is for you all the difference with Survival Horror and Action Games? Well that's your mental barrier. Not the genres.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

Dead Space was really scary for me when it release back in 2008 and it was the only horror game that really got me good & Resident Evil GC as well. The latest horror game Agony was also gruesome and yet, so much horror stuff to add.

Mohandawgg12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mohandawgg12
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

None really because I don't play those type of games they kinda bore me out of it

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ
@mohandawgg12 said:

None really because I don't play those type of games they kinda bore me out of it

I'm the same way with 90% of openworld games. Namely because the majority I've played are noticeably mediocre/ poorly designed games.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

None until I used the PSVR.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

The dead space 2 atmosphere made it very tense to play.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Speeny

@davillain-: Still gotta play Dead Space!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Speeny

@npiet1: That’s the way. Become fully immersed. Lol

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Speeny

@Macutchi: Would you say the sequel F.E.A.R games are better than the original? Wasn’t 3 good? Or was that the bad one? Lol

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10517 Posts

@speeny said:

@Macutchi: Would you say the sequel F.E.A.R games are better than the original? Wasn’t 3 good? Or was that the bad one? Lol

not so much bad, just forgettable, iirc.

as far as the fear games go i vaguely remember the original's extraction point expansion being short but ok.

i don't remember fear 2 building much on the first. the stuff fear 2 tried to do had pretty much already been done better by big hitters from previous years, in particular gears of war, stalker and dead space, plus the original fear.

and fear 3 i don't remember much of. i think you could play as paxton the main protag from the first game, and he had some sort of psychic powers, i think. maybe. regardless, if you only played the first you probably saved yourself some time

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

Doom for ps1 cus of the soundtrack. Beating that game, felt like I’d been through ‘Nam. Gave me ptsd.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Speeny

@ronthallsballs: Good choice.

Wishidbeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wishidbeen
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Outlast got me,

Dead by daylight was intense for the first few hours but once you play it for a little the scare factor is gone

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Speeny

@wishidbeen: I still need to play Outlast 2.

Outlast was great to play with friends but I don’t think it would scare me senseless if I was playing alone. I find ‘ghosts’ creepier. Lol

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@speeny said:

Good jump scares.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Speeny

@Black_Knight_00: Lol, alright, I will now say, good jump scares "with friends"

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@speeny said:

@Black_Knight_00: Lol, alright, I will now say, good jump scares "with friends"

That's better. Still not good, but better :P

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I think i'm looking more to be unsettled. Usually that takes game that know how to pace itself. If it's just in your face scares all day long like a Dead Space, it loses all affect...you adapt. You need that game that let's you feel safe for awhile and then hits you. So like Silent Hill..."this is kinda peaceful." *sirens go off* That was like a psychological experiment. They had my fear tuned right into the game audio so whenever those sirens went off, my hairs went up.

Steve5XG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Steve5XG
Member since 2018 • 180 Posts

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. For PS1. Running away from Nemesis made me feel ansious.

Silent Hill. Every time I play this game, it genuinely terrifies me.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

I found Doom 3 pretty scary at times

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

Clive Barkers: Undying. Might not scare me now, but back in the day....freaked me out.

Runner up - Silent Hill.

surfnukumoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 surfnukumoi
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

@speeny: Definitely F.E.A.R!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

@speeny: Their is one more game I totally forgot to add. DOOM 3 back on Xbox (& now on PC with BFG edition) that game totally scared the hell out of me! It was my first ever playing DOOM game but DOOM 3 really gave me the best horror experience game, the dark corners in that game just freaks me out whenever an imp hides in the shadows.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Speeny

@davillain-: I had a friend who owned DOOM 3 on the 360. Never got around to playing it though. I love the more recent Doom but only it’s gameplay. Wasn’t something I could totally get into.

Sketch94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sketch94
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

loved playing Until Dawn with the lights off haha, but hands down I played Paranormal activity in VR...... and NEVER again! hahah

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Evil Within was very suspenseful to me.

Not necessarily scary either but suspenseful, nonetheless. Made my palms sweat.

I'm pretty desensitized by the horror genre in general but Silent Hill 2 back in the day was spooki, so was Silent Hill. I believe Silent Hills would have been the scary game that I and many others have been wanting.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Dino Crisis used to spook me, haven't actually played too many horror games recently though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RSM-HQ
@Gaming-Planet said:

Evil Within was very suspenseful to me.

Not necessarily scary either but suspenseful, nonetheless. Made my palms sweat.

Much agreed, The Evil Within did some very clever things to crawl up the players skin without making them scared. Till the final chapters the player is very left in the unknown to how Ruvik has the powers he has, and then the ending contradicts the whole premise with Leslie (Ruvik in the form) glitching in reality. Giving the player a sense of disbelief.

Cruellest Intentions Chapter 9: is also simply a masterclass of both tension and level design. Chapter 6 and 10 being other great sections of the game.

While The sequel to me is better in a lot of areas, it's far more straight forward and less focused on these moments overall.