What games have had the biggest influence on this generation of gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I'm gonna say Killswitch. Yeah Winback and Timesplitters had cover, but these days more and more developers are employing the same gameplay that Killswitch refined. Gears of War helps sell 360s and KZ does the same thing but in FP.

Suggestions?

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Halo and Halo 2. Halo created the console FPS formula, and Halo 2 created the console multiplayer formula. If not for those two games there wouldn't be an endless ammount of FPS games.

NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NEStorianPriest

Was also going to mention Tribes. Never played the original but I played Aerial Assault, and it played very much like Halo. 1 and 2 in '98 and '01. Aerial Assault was a little later.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Halo and Halo 2. Halo created the console FPS formula, and Halo 2 created the console multiplayer formula. If not for those two games there wouldn't be an endless ammount of FPS games.

magnax1
some one was living under the rock the fps formula really kicked off with goldeneye but was there for doom on the snes how can you call halo the starter of the fps genre when goldeneye was really the first multiplayer console fps turok 1 if i remember came shortly after then doom 64 and hexen 64 cause i remember i had bought these games after goldeneye and waverace mario pilotwings and mariokart these were my first 9 games -mario 64 wave race 64 mariokart 64 pilotwings 64 goldeneye doom 64 hexen turok 1 and mario party so ya , to say halo kicked off the genre is completely false you better go look at ps1 and 64 era , before makin that judgment in fact timesplitters was last gens first fps along with agent under fire so to say last gens first fps was halo is also completely wrong
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NEStorianPriest

You could turn over objects and create cover in Cold Winter, as well as fashion items out of found components. The former shows up in Uncharted. I don't see how Halo influenced this particular FPS? Please, Halo didn't invent as much as it did refine and polish. It's a great franchise. But can we not make this an all things sprang from Halo's forehead thread? There are plenty of places to debate that. I'm just interested to see if other people have noticed trends in the 7th gen culled from older, lesser known games.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
Custer's Revenge :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm gonna say Killswitch. Yeah Winback and Timesplitters had cover, but these days more and more developers are employing the same gameplay that Killswitch refined. Gears of War helps sell 360s and KZ does the same thing but in FP.

Suggestions?

NEStorianPriest

Yeah, I always bring up Killswitch, but for some reason people tend to deny its existence because they have this image in their heads that the mighty Gears of War created that style of gameplay.

It is impossible to deny Halo, as well. The fact that fps games have been around far longer than halo has, does not matter. Halo got the fps console controls right, and it has more or less been consistent to that original game.

I no longer care for the series, but you got to mention GTA, for sure.

Another game I'm not a huge fan of, but KOTOR really started the big surge in popularity amongst games in that vein.

AAAAND, of course halo 2. I don't care if you liked the game or not, but it helped boost online console gaming, and introduced the concept of matchmaking.

NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NEStorianPriest

Custer's Revenge :lol:JuggaloRandall

Sadly, this.

NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NEStorianPriest

[QUOTE="NEStorianPriest"]

Suggestions?

Heirren

Yeah, I always bring up Killswitch, but for some reason people tend to deny its existence because they have this image in their heads that the mighty Gears of War created that style of gameplay.

It is impossible to deny Halo, as well. The fact that fps games have been around far longer than halo has, does not matter. Halo got the fps console controls right, and it has more or less been consistent to that original game.

I no longer care for the series, but you got to mention GTA, for sure.

Another game I'm not a huge fan of, but KOTOR really started the big surge in popularity amongst games in that vein.

AAAAND, of course halo 2. I don't care if you liked the game or not, but it helped boost online console gaming, and introduced the concept of matchmaking.

Actually, Bungie's Oni got the TPS/FPS console controls right with dual analogs.

I thought battle.net started matchmaking? You could arrange teams in Warcraft 3 by size and rank.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

It breaks my heart that people actually think halo "defined" a genre. I will second GoldenEye as well but how about even farther back with Doom and Quake? The FPS has been around for a long time and it was popular before Halo came out. All Halo did was get the college jocks playing as well.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#11 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

I also choose GoldenEye above Halo for FPS, though the franchises as Half Life and Quake also did their parts on the FPS genre.

And Kill.Switch is a very good point, I'm glad seeing the recognition it gets. It might not be the best game ever, but it did set the tone for the now "cool" games like Gears of Cover and such..

Of course, we all know Mario 64 created every modern platform to date.

Oh, little known fact, and I always try and bring this up: Rescue: The embassy mission was a pioneer on stealth action games, be it very basic.

God of War and Devil May Cry spawned an entire new genre of action games. Though I'm not sure if Ninja Gaiden came first or not.

RPGs, hm, hard to decide which really revolutionized the genre, but I suppose Square Enix as a developer always had a hand in the next evolution.

NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NEStorianPriest

I also choose GoldenEye above Halo for FPS, though the franchises as Half Life and Quake also did their parts on the FPS genre.

And Kill.Switch is a very good point, I'm glad seeing the recognition it gets. It might not be the best game ever, but it did set the tone for the now "cool" games like Gears of Cover and such..

Of course, we all know Mario 64 created every modern platform to date.

Oh, little known fact, and I always try and bring this up: Rescue: The embassy mission was a pioneer on stealth action games, be it very basic.

God of War and Devil May Cry spawned an entire new genre of action games. Though I'm not sure if Ninja Gaiden came first or not.

RPGs, hm, hard to decide which really revolutionized the genre, but I suppose Square Enix as a developer always had a hand in the next evolution.

Daavpuke

Never heard of Rescue. Thanks I'm gonna have to check that out. Love MS(G) series, Splinter Cell and Tenchu.

Rpgs? Hmmm. I thought Threads of Fate was pretty cool when it came out. Two characters, two game paths. Plus it was a 3D action rpg. I liked how Rue could turn into monsters he defeated, and I've seen that concept in other games like Folklore. Anything like that that preceeded ToF?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Wolfenstien 3D was an obvious influence (being one of the first successful FPS games) , Doom as an extention of that .

I am also going to say mortal kombat, even though fighting games have seen better days, MK paved the way for games with mature themes in them, simply be adding blood (and alot of it) , into the game, meant gaming was more open towards violence and such (although early on , it wasn't handled very well, some games had gore for the sake of gore)

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

mariokart64fan

some one was living under the rock the fps formula really kicked off with goldeneye but was there for doom on the snes how can you call halo the starter of the fps genre when goldeneye was really the first multiplayer console fps turok 1 if i remember came shortly after then doom 64 and hexen 64 cause i remember i had bought these games after goldeneye and waverace mario pilotwings and mariokart these were my first 9 games -mario 64 wave race 64 mariokart 64 pilotwings 64 goldeneye doom 64 hexen turok 1 and mario party so ya , to say halo kicked off the genre is completely false you better go look at ps1 and 64 era , before makin that judgment in fact timesplitters was last gens first fps along with agent under fire so to say last gens first fps was halo is also completely wrong

I never said it kicked off the genre, but it fixed the control scheme. Yeah, there was perfect dark and Golden eye, but those didn't work on consoles like FPS did on PC. Halo basically did, and thats why it was so popular, and thats why FPSs started to come out of the clockwork after it came out.

I knew there'd be a bunch of idiots who'd say Golden eye was more important, but when Golden eye came out, did FPSs suddenly stat to explode in popularity? No, they did when HAlo did though.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Goldeneye and GTA

NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NEStorianPriest

I knew there'd be a bunch of idiots who'd say Golden eye was more important, but when Golden eye came out, did FPSs suddenly stat to explode in popularity? No, they did when HAlo did though.

Usually it takes someone a little longer before they resort to calling people idiots. Nice.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

gran turismo. before you couldnt tune a car to turn sharper they were pre tuned. now you can tune almost every spec of the car because of this game. it also showed us that you dont need a supercar and if you did, you can modify it. it also was the first to have custom body parts. if gt wasnt invented, i wouldnt play racing games with real cars or have an intrest in cars in the first place. i could be a photographer or video maker if it wasnt for this game. instead im in to auto mechanics because of this game

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts

Halo basically did, and thats why it was so popular, and thats why FPSs started to come out of the clockwork after it came out.I knew there'd be a bunch of idiots who'd say Golden eye was more important, but when Golden eye came out, did FPSs suddenly stat to explode in popularity? No, they did when HAlo did though.magnax1

FPS didn't start to explode in popularity when Halo came out or even when Goldeneye came out. The popularity of FPS exploded in the late 80's early 90's but what do I know I'm an idiot.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CDuG

[QUOTE="magnax1"]Halo basically did, and thats why it was so popular, and thats why FPSs started to come out of the clockwork after it came out.I knew there'd be a bunch of idiots who'd say Golden eye was more important, but when Golden eye came out, did FPSs suddenly stat to explode in popularity? No, they did when HAlo did though.hesel

FPS didn't start to explode in popularity when Halo came out or even when Goldeneye came out. The popularity of FPS exploded in the late 80's early 90's but what do I know I'm an idiot.

Yay we're both idiots!

*high fives*

*misses*

*plays Halo*

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Jurassic Park Trespasser had a pretty important part to play in the evolution of gaming, it was the first game to use Raqgdoll physics.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

I don't care what anybody says, the game that set the bar for First Person action was Sierra, ala Half Life.

Call me a fool but I will always say Half Life started FPS action. Goldeneye only advanced it.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

fps went big back with doom but back then I thought they were garbage and I still think those were garbage. I'm probably the only person I know who didn't like Golden Eye but I know it made a big difference and many people will swear by it. I didn't come around to liking any FPS until Halo and Metroid Prime, those 2 changed my mind and seemed to launch a revolution of a far higher quality console FPS games.

Sand Box games are still being done left and right and we all know that comes mostly from GTA(more specifically GTA3). I think someone else mentioned this as well but Devil May Cry made a huge difference and had Ninja Gaiden based off of the gameplay and later GoW brought the hack and slash genre back in full force. QTA is often said to have been brought about from Shenmue but I think it gained most of it's popularity from GoW.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CDuG

What about the Resident Evil's?

NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NEStorianPriest

Yeah. I think the ubiquity of survival horror and people nommingultimately stems from this series. Also, I can't remember playing a game before Resident Evil that made me careaboutmaking headshots. Not just because of the kill, but because you needed to conserve ammo.

Anybody ideas on the biggest influence on headshots?

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
Duck Hunt. No, seriously. The freakin' dog gave awesome incentive to shoot the freakin' ducks the first time through.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CDuG

I was always upset you couldn't shoot the dog...

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#27 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Super Mario World for introducing Yoshi and a new style for Mario games after SMB3, Goldeneye and Doom for the FPS blueprints, Final Fantasy, Ultima, and Dragon Warrior for RPGs; it can go on.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#28 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I would say one of the legacy games that has the biggest impact on this generation is Goldeneye 007. That game arguably revolutionized FPSs...every FPS you play has influence from Goldeneye in it.

Lanbeforetime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lanbeforetime
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

The first thing that came to my mind was Archon for Sega Dream Cast. This was the original SRPG. Turn based attacks on different squares each providing advantages or disadvantages that allowed for two pieces to attack each other once within range.

pestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 pestro
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

I've never been a big fan of 3D fighting games but I remember that Virtua Fighter caused quite a stir back in the days. I remember it being one of the first 3D fighters that I ever played. I'm not sure exactly how influencial the game really was but I've always believed that it paved the way for the 3D fighting genre and games like Tekken and Dead or Alive which, in turn, have had an enormous impact on fighting games today.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"][QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

I never said it kicked off the genre, but it fixed the control scheme. Yeah, there was perfect dark and Golden eye, but those didn't work on consoles like FPS did on PC. Halo basically did, and thats why it was so popular, and thats why FPSs started to come out of the clockwork after it came out.

Totally agree with this. Besides FFVII, Goldeneye is the most fanboy popular game there is. For what reason? No reason. FPS games had 2 major explosions. A. Wolfenstien 3d which then led to Blake's stone, Doom, Doom 2, Quake, etc. and then again with Halo. Just because you didn't own a PC long before Goldeneye doesn't mean that FPS games didn't exist or weren't being played on multiplayer LANS. On the other end if you are going to call people idiots you should head over to the other forums where the 13 year olds and people with 13 year old mentalities play.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CDuG

It has nothing to do with it being a fanboy game, not for me anyways. There have been better FPS games for sure, but prior to that it was kind of like an elite club. IF you had a PC you probably had at elast one of those old hardcore FPS games (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein) or knew someone who did. They were great. But everyone had an N64 and everyone ahd GoldenEye (at least this is how it was for me and my friends) and if you didn't have it, you were over at the guys' house who did. THAT game to me (and apparently many others) not only revolutionized multiplayer FPS (pre-online obviously) but it made it an accessible genre, not just something you played in your room by yourself, but a social event, something you and your friends planned for. It may not be the greatest game (I still rpefer Doom or Quake and many newer titles as well, BioShock, Resistance) but as far as really changing the game, changing the way people looked at it, THAT'S why GoldenEye gets put on the pedestal it does.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
See, I totally understand your point of view, but I'll always argue that it's incorrect. Long before Goldeneye I was playing Doom 2 at LAN parties with friends, and Quake with I think 16 people if I remember right. Goldeneye was a watered down FPS that you could play on a usually 4x4 inch split screen. That didn't revolutionize anything except for the fact, that like you did say, not everyone had a PC. A lot of "kids" did have an N64 though. But I don't think that is reason to put Goldeneye on any kind of pedistal. It was fun, but not nearly as fun as Doom, and especially Quake or Unreal. It probably DID influence consoles to start looking closer at FPS games, but that's just being in the right place at the right time. FPS games are highly popular, and wheather it was Goldeneye, Doom 2, Unreal, or anything else that made it to consoles first, any of them would have had that success. Herzog Zwei was the first RTS to be put on a console, and while it gets some praise it doesn't get anywhere near the hype of Goldeneye.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CDuG

See, I totally understand your point of view, but I'll always argue that it's incorrect. Long before Goldeneye I was playing Doom 2 at LAN parties with friends, and Quake with I think 16 people if I remember right. Goldeneye was a watered down FPS that you could play on a usually 4x4 inch split screen. That didn't revolutionize anything except for the fact, that like you did say, not everyone had a PC. A lot of "kids" did have an N64 though. But I don't think that is reason to put Goldeneye on any kind of pedistal. It was fun, but not nearly as fun as Doom, and especially Quake or Unreal. It probably DID influence consoles to start looking closer at FPS games, but that's just being in the right place at the right time. FPS games are highly popular, and wheather it was Goldeneye, Doom 2, Unreal, or anything else that made it to consoles first, any of them would have had that success. Herzog Zwei was the first RTS to be put on a console, and while it gets some praise it doesn't get anywhere near the hype of Goldeneye. billyd5301

But in a roundabout way you're agreeing with me. See I was a kid then, and I didn't know anybody that had LAN parties for FPS. Hell I wouldn't have even known what that was then. It was the right place and the right time and for that I believe it does deserve credit. That's how history is made. It's not always about who does it first, or even best, but who does it right and they did it at the right time for the right market. I agree that Quake, Doom, probably even Halo, are better games overall. But like I said, GoldenEye was what made FPS accessible for MY generation. As a reference point, I'm in my late 20's btw.

As far as Halo goes, I think it gets put up higher than it needs to be. Wasn't there like a million Call of Duty's and Medal of Honour's before that? I'm not even trying to flame it, maybe it's this generation's GoldenEye and it just came too late for me. It just seems like people think there was nothing before Halo and that it invented the FPS. I don't think that of GoldenEye, because I played them prior to that as well. But I did it in my room by myself. It was visceral masturbation wheras GoldenEye was like having sex with somene else for the first time lol.

Anyways, I think I'm just repeating myself AND making this into sexual analogies. I'm either about to start a flame war or get another suspension.

neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

In terms of influence on this generation, it would have to be GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas. Since those games, just about any modern open world game is referred to as a "GTA clone" and there are plenty of them.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 magnax1

I'd say that Half life had more impact on FPS then golden eye. It was one of the first FPS that really played more like a modern FPS. lead to a more dramatic, and cinematic style of game that most FPS have today. Goldeneye was just a normal FPS on a console, and it didn't really play that terribly well with the control scheme it had sort of like RTS do on consoles. Halo really played like it was really built for consoles.

Gnomefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gnomefan
Member since 2009 • 1048 Posts

Pong.

gmoneybball91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gmoneybball91
Member since 2008 • 365 Posts

Goldeneye was the first game that really told us, you don't even need to play the campaign to have a blast with this game and that's where the industrys at today, Multiplayer my friends

gamesavers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamesavers
Member since 2006 • 591 Posts

Strangely Wii sports and Avatar (the 3d movie, not the game)