what ever happened to cheat codes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brettray85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brettray85
Member since 2009 • 176 Posts

now ill say this first and foremost.

i dont play games with cheats activated until i have beaten it first.

i enjoy the challenge of a game firstly and have fun with the codes after.

however. theyre becoming more and more less frequent in games and it kinda sucks to a degree.

i guess resident evil has replaced them with things like unlimited ammo on or off etc..

but if you hear where im coming from let me know what you think

when i was a kid i loved picking up tips n tricks magazine.

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

Apart for the fun ones, theres really no point for them.

areuodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 areuodd
Member since 2009 • 170 Posts

Games are more online focused, so they cant really be used there...

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

Im with the OP. The loss of cheat codes started with the Dreamcast. Ever since then the only legit codes you can find/use are Action Replays(which I only have for Cube and PS2). I remember the days when each game had its own set of cheats like Screen-codes or secret cheat menus. Oh the memories.

I dont use them to beat games but if I get really stuck on something I usually bust out Infinite Health or something like that just get me over the hump, then I'll take it off. Which doesnt happen often since just like this topic suggests, codes are dying :(

randino84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 randino84
Member since 2009 • 457 Posts

i understand OP. personally i never used many cheat codes but once in a while i would use a few on a game i already beat. if you look hard enough their are still a few games out their like deadspace, GTA4, marvel ultimate alliance, and wolverine origins that still have cheat codes you can put in.

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

Pretty much trophys/acheivements happened

violian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 violian
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

I have Action-Replay that allows downloading of cheat codes unto the original xbox memory card, and there's limitless ways to cheat. I only used it when I feel bored of the game I'm playing, and don't feel like sitting through it anymore. There are instances when I see it as "value-added", like racing games where it just unlocks all the tracks, cars, and upgrade-parts for people who don't have time to spend hours on end trying to unlock everything....and it gives these people the chance to experience the entire game's content.

ajkalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ajkalan
Member since 2004 • 399 Posts

I must join the OP in lamenting the loss of cheat codes. Sometimes, it's just fun to play as Superman, beating boss characters to death with your bare hands and surviving 500-foot falls off of skyscrapers without a scratch. The Gameshark/Action Replay devices, especially, had the potential for making some truly off-the-wall scenarios. This is part of the reason why I played GTAIII/Vice for such a long time: there were so many crazy glitches to exploit that they were fun long after I'd finished all the story missions. I understand why they've gone away - that's what social/competitive features like online multiplayer and achievements will do to games - but I still have a place in my heart for them. (Besides, as long as PC games have mods and console commands, these experiences aren't truly going away.)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
yeah new games def lack the cheats of old school games.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Unlockables and have achievements have become the new "in" thing.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Many older games were nearly impossible to beat due to poor game design; making you start from the very beginning of the game when you get a game over, crap like that. So cheat codes were a necessity. Nowadays, most games have lots of checkpoints, most of which come right before and after a challenging part, plus you can choose your difficulty level in respect to your skill in a certain genre. So really, cheats aren't needed anymore.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#12 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

They got replaced with unlockables and DLC.

Not really worth the trade, IMO. I miss real cheat codes.

Dreamerdude26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dreamerdude26
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
One answer is, games are just not hard enough anymore to require them. People used to use them because certain games were really difficult to them so they could basically breeze through a hard game with infinite health but honestly today's games are just too easy to need them anymore.
brettray85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brettray85

i hear where yourcoming from and i suppose achievements have really caused people to not cheat anymore.

plus with unlockable on off upgrades. and when they're on you dont get the achievements i suppose it has in fact been a main reason for phasing them out.

but there is not one person here who can honestly say unless you were born post 2000, that you dont miss entering the debug d,u,l,l,a,r,d cheat on mortal kombat 1, or whatever.

the konami code.

i honestly hardly used them like i said when i was playing through a game for the first time. but upon beating it i had tons of fun with it.

and yeah another good point someone made was saying how games arent as challenging anymore.

mega man series was pretty much a requirment to cheat haha

Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#16 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

yeah because most games have an easy mode now.

old games use to often just have 1 difficulty and depending on the game could be reallly hard.

amareen18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 amareen18
Member since 2007 • 1259 Posts
Agreed! i miss cheats :|
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I miss cheats. I enjoyed them for some of the weapons that weren't available otherwise, or other such things.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I miss locking in the invincibility code for a fun romp around areas. Some games have made the cheats unlockables. Kinda takes away the fun methinks.
mistergamerguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 mistergamerguy
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts
don't see anything wrong with cheat codes on my games, take gta 4 for example
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Man, I remember the days when you'd walk into a news-agency and head to the computer/gaming magazines section and see dozens of different cheat books...but now they're gone. RIP cheats we had a fun ride.

CipherZilla
But even if cheats still WERE common, the "cheat books" would be obsolete because of websites like gamefaqs
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I was actually thinking of making the same thread a few weeks ago.

(I miss some cheating fun. In single player games, obviously)

darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts

I was going to make a post like this as well, but yes I think its due to the fact that there are many check points in game and most games are beatable nowadays. I've beaten 10/18 of my games so far. Though at some point in my gaming there have been times where I've wished for a invincible code or unlimited ammo code.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="CipherZilla"]Man, I remember the days when you'd walk into a news-agency and head to the computer/gaming magazines section and see dozens of different cheat books...but now they're gone. RIP cheats we had a fun ride.UT_Wrestler
But even if cheats still WERE common, the "cheat books" would be obsolete because of websites like gamefaqs

Not really. If it was a game that I liked, or if it was a book of a lot of cheats, I would buy it. A single book is far more convenient than logging onto the Internet whenever needed.
dragonic9100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dragonic9100
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

Hopefully GTA will keep this alive to some degree but i definately agree.

brettray85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 brettray85

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="CipherZilla"]Man, I remember the days when you'd walk into a news-agency and head to the computer/gaming magazines section and see dozens of different cheat books...but now they're gone. RIP cheats we had a fun ride.muthsera666

Not really. If it was a game that I liked, or if it was a book of a lot of cheats, I would buy it. A single book is far more convenient than logging onto the Internet whenever needed.

one could say that video game mags are obsolete, but i guess with egm going under its beginning.

but i also have to say that i would buy the cheats book in a second also, i hate pausing my game and running back to the computer to check it. call me crazybut ink isnt cheap and id rather run to the comp than print a million pages.

i think there is a big thing about the 90's i miss and it was when i was stuck i would (when i was 9) go to the local library and go online to find help guides or whatever,.

somehow i dont have that patience anymore because everything is at my fingertips.

i miss the 90's for its simplicity, for its cheat codes, for gamepro magazine and its shoddy editing. and the fact that most of my good game memories are from that time

anyone remember looking at tips and tricks and trying to jot down codes in the store becauseyou didnt wanna buy the whole mag.

reading **** saturn reviews and being stoked on the rad CGI