What do you think about the Gameboy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KFXG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 KFXG
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts
I think it's awesome, one of the greatest handhelds if all time. 10/10
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

The Gameboy is awesome!

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

Even though I preferred my NES/SNES over the Master System/Genesis, I always favored the Game Gear.

Gameboy - 8/10 (Loses 1 point for the abysmal yellow/green screen, and 1 Point for the ergonomics. (It always felt awkward to me and still does)

Game Gear - 9/10 (Loses 1 point for taking 6 batteries)

The gameboy had more games, probably nearly twice the amount if not more, but the game gear had more games I was interested in.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
The Gameboy is an ode to Nintendo fanboys' stubborness. The Gameboy was CLEARLY the inferior handheld when compared to the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear. Both of those systems had full color screens, with backlights, and had better graphics. Both companies also put their first-rate series and characters out on the systems. Yet due to Nintendo fanboys' loyalty, and the brand recognition of Nintendo with the general public, the crappy little green & white wonder still won out the handheld wars. Yeah, the Gameboy has a lot more games. But that's due to the years that Nintendo milked it. During the time it was competing with Lynx and Game Gear, it didn't have nearly as many games as it does now. IMO, the Gameboy wasn't even worth buying until Gameboy Color came out. And even then, I didn't buy one until Gameboy Advance came out. And thank god for Advance. It only took Nintendo 10 years to match Game Gear and Lynx's quality. Advance definetly beats out Game Gear and Lynx, though. Much more quality games on Advance. Now don't get me wrong here. I still do like Gameboy, and I play Gameboy games. But it just doesn't make sense to me why people would have chose the crappy little green and white powered Gameboy over the fully color, backlit Game Gear and Lynx.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

a longer more durable nes with long battery life

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

It was awful. It felt bad in my hands, and you can barely see anything.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I had great times with the few games I had for it. Wished I had more games to personally play.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#8 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Beats the Game Gear right out of the sky I tell you that :lol: What it lacked in power, it made up for in a huuuuge library, user friendlyness, battery life and most of all sturdyness. It's quite the analogy for today's DS VS PSP issue. Yes, the PSP owns DS in theory, but the practical side is a complete reversal.
KFXG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KFXG
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts
nice to see lots of different thoughts on the gameboy
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

Lynx should've been the top handheld during that era, but Atari gave it too big a price tag. I think Nintendo understands the wallets of consumers better than any other video game company. Probably why it's still able to compete with the DS; while not as feature-packed as the PSP, that DS Lite is cheap.

The GBA was when the Game Boy finally became up to date but obviously it took FOREVER to reach that level. While the Lynx was out, while the Game Gear came out, all Nintendo did with the Game Boy was make it smaller and smaller, then gave it a color screen that was IMPOSSIBLE to see, THEN releasing the GBA. But while the Gameboy probably isn't technically the best handheld ever, Yamauchi was a genius keeping it alive.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]Beats the Game Gear right out of the sky I tell you that :lol: What it lacked in power, it made up for in a huuuuge library, user friendlyness, battery life and most of all sturdyness. It's quite the analogy for today's DS VS PSP issue. Yes, the PSP owns DS in theory, but the practical side is a complete reversal.

Come on now. Lets be serious. lol
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Gameboy color was the first "game thing" i had oh brings back memories then advance SP was also great

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#13 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
[QUOTE="SNESMaster420"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"]Beats the Game Gear right out of the sky I tell you that :lol: What it lacked in power, it made up for in a huuuuge library, user friendlyness, battery life and most of all sturdyness. It's quite the analogy for today's DS VS PSP issue. Yes, the PSP owns DS in theory, but the practical side is a complete reversal.

Come on now. Lets be serious. lol

Like the plague.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I agree that the gamegear was underrated, but the atari linx? you can barely see the screen!

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"] Now don't get me wrong here. I still do like Gameboy, and I play Gameboy games. But it just doesn't make sense to me why people would have chose the crappy little green and white powered Gameboy over the fully color, backlit Game Gear and Lynx.

Price? Portability? Battery life?
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

That the Game Gear was a whole lot better.

Vault_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Vault_Monkey
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts
I think it was an incredible invention. I still whip mine out every once in a great while to play my pokemon games.:)
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

Well if we are going to compare the Lynx, Game Gear, and Game Boy, there are many reason's why the Game Boy "won" and the other ones didn't do so well.

First of all, how many of you have actually played an Atari Lynx? Ok, out of you, how many of you found a game that you could have any fun with? That is the primary reason the Lynx failed. I have one for novelty purposes, but I sure as hell won't play anything on it because everything is terrible.

The Game Gear is a fine system. Don't own one myself, but all of the games on it that I played seemed to be ports or remakes of games that were more popular on the Genesis. And the battery life needs to be mentioned. That thing was a **** battery sponge. You'd put in your assload of batteries to play "on the trip" and before you even got to where you were going you were out of batteries, so much for the trip back home.

Keep in mind this was over a few week period when I borrowed a Game Gear, so my experience was limited.

Nintendo also had that brand recognition going for it. Around that time the act of "playing videogames" was so closely linked to Nintendo that it was sometimes called "playing Nintendo", even if it was a Genesis, Atari, or a Master System.

Honestly I got my Game Boy as a gift, a complete surprise to. There I was playing Super Mario World and on my birthday I got a Gameboy... a Nintendo, that I can take anywhere. Oh **** it was so on...

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Emerald_Warrior

Well if we are going to compare the Lynx, Game Gear, and Game Boy, there are many reason's why the Game Boy "won" and the other ones didn't do so well.

First of all, how many of you have actually played an Atari Lynx? Ok, out of you, how many of you found a game that you could have any fun with? That is the primary reason the Lynx failed. I have one for novelty purposes, but I sure as hell won't play anything on it because everything is terrible.

The Game Gear is a fine system. Don't own one myself, but all of the games on it that I played seemed to be ports or remakes of games that were more popular on the Genesis. And the battery life needs to be mentioned. That thing was a **** battery sponge. You'd put in your assload of batteries to play "on the trip" and before you even got to where you were going you were out of batteries, so much for the trip back home.

Keep in mind this was over a few week period when I borrowed a Game Gear, so my experience was limited.

Nintendo also had that brand recognition going for it. Around that time the act of "playing videogames" was so closely linked to Nintendo that it was sometimes called "playing Nintendo", even if it was a Genesis, Atari, or a Master System.

Honestly I got my Game Boy as a gift, a complete surprise to. There I was playing Super Mario World and on my birthday I got a Gameboy... a Nintendo, that I can take anywhere. Oh **** it was so on...

Fredrick2003x
The Game Gear did suck up batteries, yes, but that really is a small complaint considering the rest of the plusses behind it, and the fact that you could get both an AC Adapter and a Car Adapter for the Game Gear, thus overcoming the battery issue altogether. The Gameboy was FAAAARRR from a portable Nintendo. It dreamed of being able to do what an NES could do. It had horrible graphics. You had to play it in direct light or you couldn't see a dang thing (which is funny that you point the Lynx out as having that problem, the Gameboy was far worse than the Lynx in that department, and the 2nd model Lynx had a backlit screen option). It displayed graphics in monotone green and darker green. Back when it was competing against the Game Gear it didn't have the huge library that everyone seems to point out, it had just as big of a library as the Game Gear then. And the sound, it could barely beat a touch-tone phone in that department. The Gameboy was a cheap piece of crap. It was just because of the Nintendo name, and the Mario and Zelda games mostly that it did so well. As for the Game Gear on the other hand it had true 8-bit graphics that were just as good as Master System (which had better graphics than an NES even), in fact it uses similar hardware as the Master System. It had a backlit screen so you could play anywhere, even in a pitch black car in the middle of the night which the Gameboy couldn't do. It had far more than Genesis ports. Yes it did have Genesis ports, but it also had many, many Game Gear exclusives. And not only did it have Genesis ports, but it also played Master System ports, and with a small adapter it could play the actual Master System cartridges. So in my book, the ports is a plus, not a minus. Because if the Gameboy was able to play NES cartridges or true NES ports, then I would totally say the Gameboy was far better, but it couldn't. And if you got sick of playing games, the Game Gear even doubled as a TV (although the TV adapter is useless now since TV no longer runs on analog signals, but back in the day it was a pretty dang sweet option). As for the Lynx. Yeah, it was hard to see on the first model, but the Gameboy was much harder to see it's screen without direct light, due to the green color scheme they used for graphics display. And the 2nd model Lynx fixed that issue by having a backlit screen option. As for games that were good on the Lynx, you need to do some more digging if you think there's not any good games for it. Atari put some of the best games they made for 7800 on the thing as did third party developers that were still holding on to the Atari name: -Alien vs. Predator -Batman Returns -Centipede -Double Dragon -Eye of the Beholder -Gauntlet 3 -Joust -Lemmings -Lode Runner -Ms. Pac Man -Ninja Gaiden -Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom -Pac-Land -Paperboy -Pinball Jam -Raiden -Rampage -Robotron: 2084 -Rolling Thunder -Rygar -Shadow of the Beast -Super Off-Road -Xenophobe Looking back after it's all been said done; no one should have any doubt about Game Gear and Atari Lynx being the superior handhelds. It's as obvious as those old Atari 2600 vs. Intellivision commercials that had the same game for each system side-by-side. Nintendo simply marketed the Gameboy better, and had the name recognition behind them.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]The Gameboy is an ode to Nintendo fanboys' stubborness. The Gameboy was CLEARLY the inferior handheld when compared to the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear. Both of those systems had full color screens, with backlights, and had better graphics. Both companies also put their first-rate series and characters out on the systems. Yet due to Nintendo fanboys' loyalty, and the brand recognition of Nintendo with the general public, the crappy little green & white wonder still won out the handheld wars. Yeah, the Gameboy has a lot more games. But that's due to the years that Nintendo milked it. During the time it was competing with Lynx and Game Gear, it didn't have nearly as many games as it does now. IMO, the Gameboy wasn't even worth buying until Gameboy Color came out. And even then, I didn't buy one until Gameboy Advance came out. And thank god for Advance. It only took Nintendo 10 years to match Game Gear and Lynx's quality. Advance definetly beats out Game Gear and Lynx, though. Much more quality games on Advance. Now don't get me wrong here. I still do like Gameboy, and I play Gameboy games. But it just doesn't make sense to me why people would have chose the crappy little green and white powered Gameboy over the fully color, backlit Game Gear and Lynx.

Those color, backlit screens came at a serious price: The Game Gear, Lynx, and TurboExpress all took six AAs and sucked them dry in under 6 hours. The Game Boy could last 14+ hours on just four AAs. Having an AC adapter does not completely forgive this.

Game Boy was also the smallest of them. Especially compared to the behemoth which was the first model Lynx.

But probably one of the biggest reasons the Game Boy sold was Tetris.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigM10231
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]The Gameboy is an ode to Nintendo fanboys' stubborness. The Gameboy was CLEARLY the inferior handheld when compared to the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear. Both of those systems had full color screens, with backlights, and had better graphics. Both companies also put their first-rate series and characters out on the systems. Yet due to Nintendo fanboys' loyalty, and the brand recognition of Nintendo with the general public, the crappy little green & white wonder still won out the handheld wars. Yeah, the Gameboy has a lot more games. But that's due to the years that Nintendo milked it. During the time it was competing with Lynx and Game Gear, it didn't have nearly as many games as it does now. IMO, the Gameboy wasn't even worth buying until Gameboy Color came out. And even then, I didn't buy one until Gameboy Advance came out. And thank god for Advance. It only took Nintendo 10 years to match Game Gear and Lynx's quality. Advance definetly beats out Game Gear and Lynx, though. Much more quality games on Advance. Now don't get me wrong here. I still do like Gameboy, and I play Gameboy games. But it just doesn't make sense to me why people would have chose the crappy little green and white powered Gameboy over the fully color, backlit Game Gear and Lynx.

Those color, backlit screens came at a serious price: The Game Gear, Lynx, and TurboExpress all took six AAs and sucked them dry in under 6 hours. The Game Boy could last 14+ hours on just four AAs. Having an AC adapter does not completely forgive this.

Game Boy was also the smallest of them. Especially compared to the behemoth which was the first model Lynx.

But probably one of the biggest reasons the Game Boy sold was Tetris.

dont forget price. the gb was at 110$ vs gg lynx and te at 200$. what would rather get
ECCG13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ECCG13
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Its good but it takes 4 AA's
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ThePlothole
dont forget price. the gb was at 110$ vs gg lynx and te at 200$. what would rather getbigM10231

Well the GameCube consistently sold for less than the PS2 and Xbox, but still ended up third in total sales. I'm not saying cost wasn't a factor at all, but certainly being the cheapest opinion doesn't always help.

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#24 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

[QUOTE="Fredrick2003x"]

Emerald_Warrior

The Game Gear did suck up batteries, yes, but that really is a small complaint considering the rest of the plusses behind it, and the fact that you could get both an AC Adapter and a Car Adapter for the Game Gear, thus overcoming the battery issue altogether. The Gameboy was FAAAARRR from a portable Nintendo. It dreamed of being able to do what an NES could do. It had horrible graphics. You had to play it in direct light or you couldn't see a dang thing (which is funny that you point the Lynx out as having that problem, the Gameboy was far worse than the Lynx in that department, and the 2nd model Lynx had a backlit screen option). It displayed graphics in monotone green and darker green. Back when it was competing against the Game Gear it didn't have the huge library that everyone seems to point out, it had just as big of a library as the Game Gear then. And the sound, it could barely beat a touch-tone phone in that department. The Gameboy was a cheap piece of crap. It was just because of the Nintendo name, and the Mario and Zelda games mostly that it did so well. As for the Game Gear on the other hand it had true 8-bit graphics that were just as good as Master System (which had better graphics than an NES even), in fact it uses similar hardware as the Master System. It had a backlit screen so you could play anywhere, even in a pitch black car in the middle of the night which the Gameboy couldn't do. It had far more than Genesis ports. Yes it did have Genesis ports, but it also had many, many Game Gear exclusives. And not only did it have Genesis ports, but it also played Master System ports, and with a small adapter it could play the actual Master System cartridges. So in my book, the ports is a plus, not a minus. Because if the Gameboy was able to play NES cartridges or true NES ports, then I would totally say the Gameboy was far better, but it couldn't. And if you got sick of playing games, the Game Gear even doubled as a TV (although the TV adapter is useless now since TV no longer runs on analog signals, but back in the day it was a pretty dang sweet option). As for the Lynx. Yeah, it was hard to see on the first model, but the Gameboy was much harder to see it's screen without direct light, due to the green color scheme they used for graphics display. And the 2nd model Lynx fixed that issue by having a backlit screen option. As for games that were good on the Lynx, you need to do some more digging if you think there's not any good games for it. Atari put some of the best games they made for 7800 on the thing as did third party developers that were still holding on to the Atari name: -Alien vs. Predator -Batman Returns -Centipede -Double Dragon -Eye of the Beholder -Gauntlet 3 -Joust -Lemmings -Lode Runner -Ms. Pac Man -Ninja Gaiden -Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom -Pac-Land -Paperboy -Pinball Jam -Raiden -Rampage -Robotron: 2084 -Rolling Thunder -Rygar -Shadow of the Beast -Super Off-Road -Xenophobe Looking back after it's all been said done; no one should have any doubt about Game Gear and Atari Lynx being the superior handhelds. It's as obvious as those old Atari 2600 vs. Intellivision commercials that had the same game for each system side-by-side. Nintendo simply marketed the Gameboy better, and had the name recognition behind them.

Hey, that Game Gear TV Tuner isn't useless. I was playing Super Mario Brothers on my Game Gear the one day. You could even use the DTV converter box to get real TV if you wanted to. This all might not be practical...at all...but it is still fun to be able to say that I played SMB on a GG...lol.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ThePlothole

Hey, that Game Gear TV Tuner isn't useless. I was playing Super Mario Brothers on my Game Gear the one day. You could even use the DTV converter box to get real TV if you wanted to. This all might not be practical...at all...but it is still fun to be able to say that I played SMB on a GG...lol.

Mtngranek

The TV tuner accepts input besides antenna?

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

As a kid I thought the Gameboy was ace, I got one fairly cheap on holiday and couldn't afford a Game Gear and definitely not a Lynx (though I never saw anything appealing about the Lynx at the time, and if I'm honest, I've never been tempted to try one out). Battery life mattered to me, and stuff like Mario Land 1 & 2, Metroid 2, Revenge of the Gator, Dynablaster, Zelda were all games that I loved at the time. Plus Tetris, which on it's own made the system worth it for me. I eventually got a Game Gear 2nd hand, but it was a long time after and I didn't have many games, Sonic was ok, and Columns was cool as well (though inferior to Tetris).

I was never a big GBA fan, there were a few games I bought and liked for it, but most of the ones I bought I generally regretted buying them (or they were just SNES ports).

I bought one last year or the year before, an original white Gameboy with the green screen, and was amazed by just how small the screen was, and how difficult it was to see what was going on on the screen. The fact that it's chunky and comfortable is cool, and I even like the green screen and the sound as they hold a lot of nostalgia value, but its just too hard to see anything. Playing the original games on GBA SP is much easier, but I wish it'd emulate the old green screen as to me it looks much nicer than black/grey or whatever it is that shows on the GBA.

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mtngranek

[QUOTE="Mtngranek"]

ThePlothole

Yes, but it is a little difficult.

If you look at the top of the Game Gear there are two holes that look like headphone jacks. the one on the (looking at it so the words are rite side up) left is the A/V input, and the one on the right is the Ext. Ant, or external antenna.

There is an adapter that is made that is a coaxial cable (the ne that the r/f tuner uses) connector with what looks like a headphone jack on the other end.

You can use this to either input the r/f signal from another console to the Game Gear screen, or input the cable line from your house (assuming your house still uses cable lines.

It is actually pretty cool, but practically useless...

I could do a blog on how to do such a thing...

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Mtngranek"]

Mtngranek

If you look at the top of the Game Gear there are two holes that look like headphone jacks. the one on the (looking at it so the words are rite side up) left is the A/V input, and the one on the right is the Ext. Ant, or external antenna.

There is an adapter that is made that is a coaxial cable (the ne that the r/f tuner uses) connector with what looks like a headphone jack on the other end.

You can use this to either input the r/f signal from another console to the Game Gear screen, or input the cable line from your house (assuming your house still uses cable lines.

I'm looking at mine because you have me intrigued. But I see no such holes that look like headphone jack holes. On the left side of the top I see the actual headphone jack, and on the right side of the top I see the AC Adapter port, which is an entirely different connection than the headphone jack. I also see and expansion port that looks kind of like a USB port, but it's a little different. But I know of nothing that uses that port. Are you sure you aren't looking at a Sega Nomad? I know that hooked up to a TV.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mtngranek

[QUOTE="Mtngranek"]

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

Emerald_Warrior

I'm looking at mine because you have me intrigued. But I see no such holes that look like headphone jack holes. On the left side of the top I see the actual headphone jack, and on the right side of the top I see the AC Adapter port, which is an entirely different connection than the headphone jack. I also see and expansion port that looks kind of like a USB port, but it's a little different. But I know of nothing that uses that port. Are you sure you aren't looking at a Sega Nomad? I know that hooked up to a TV.

I'm sorry, this is my fault. What I should have said was "If you look at the top of the Game Gear T. V. Tuner..."

Those holes don't exist on the Game Gear itself. They are on the T. V. Tuner. This is what the post should have said...-->

If you look at the top of the Game Gear T. V. Tuner, there are two holes that look like headphone jacks. the one on the (looking at it so the words are rite side up) left is the A/V input, and the one on the right is the Ext. Ant, or external antenna.

thud4man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thud4man
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts

I love portable gaming more than console gaming. I own possibly every portable from the original Game Boy up to the modern portables. Even some that were never released in the US, WonderSwan Crystal. When it came to the Game Boy, I liked the GB Pocket more than I liked the Original Pea Green Screen, even though I purchased two of them at an indoor flea market this past week. Couldn't resist, they were only a $1 each.

In terms of which portable that I played the most in those early years, it was more about games for me. It was more of a, "I am in the mood for this" sort of thing. So I was really not a fan boy, but I enjoyed them all. I have been playing my Game Boy Pocket and my PSP just this past week. I do think that the "Game Boy Advance SP bright" was Nintendo's crowning achievement in a portable. The design was perfect. And still feel that it has been their best portable yet.

When it comes to that 8-bit 4 shades of grey, I always have a GB Pocket handy, loaded with Nemesis. It was one of the first games that I purchased for that big hulky pea green screen beast. I became addicted to it then and I have never kicked the habit.

morphies_emu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 morphies_emu
Member since 2006 • 260 Posts

The GameBoy, was a huge part of my childhood life. I loved it and its games; Pokemon, Super Mario Bros, TMNT: Rise of the Foot Clan and Kirby's Dream Land passed many hours sitting with my back to the window playing my way through these games. I can honestly say Id never heard of a Game Gear or Lynx until a year ago when I really got into gaming and Ive still never seen a GG in person, the second hand game store around the corner has a Lynx for sale.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
most gameboy games have aged rather poorly even games like the original super mario land aged poorly most game gear games on the other hand have aged pretty wel (although, only half of the sonic games on the game gear were any good)
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bigM10231
Its good but it takes 4 AA'sECCG13
would you like to use 6 and drain them in 5 hours? the gamegear is worse for that same with the lynx
Garfiun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Garfiun
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I loved my gba and im really thinking of geting one again I used to play it to death when I was younger.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Emerald_Warrior
Those color, backlit screens came at a serious price: The Game Gear, Lynx, and TurboExpress all took six AAs and sucked them dry in under 6 hours. The Game Boy could last 14+ hours on just four AAs. Having an AC adapter does not completely forgive this.Game Boy was also the smallest of them. Especially compared to the behemoth which was the first model Lynx.ThePlothole
How does it not forgive that? You can find the adapters dirt cheap and it completely eliminates the battery problem all-together. And there's also a car adapter, not just the wall adapter. It would seem a bit ridiculous to me to completely miss out on the awesome Game Gear just because you didn't want to fork out an extra $3, which costs less than using the 6 batteries.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mtngranek

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]Those color, backlit screens came at a serious price: The Game Gear, Lynx, and TurboExpress all took six AAs and sucked them dry in under 6 hours. The Game Boy could last 14+ hours on just four AAs. Having an AC adapter does not completely forgive this.Game Boy was also the smallest of them. Especially compared to the behemoth which was the first model Lynx.Emerald_Warrior
How does it not forgive that? You can find the adapters dirt cheap and it completely eliminates the battery problem all-together. And there's also a car adapter, not just the wall adapter. It would seem a bit ridiculous to me to completely miss out on the awesome Game Gear just because you didn't want to fork out an extra $3, which costs less than using the 6 batteries.

Hell, I believe you use the Genesis 2 power adapter for the Game Gear, so there is really no excuse.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]How does it not forgive that? You can find the adapters dirt cheap and it completely eliminates the battery problem all-together. And there's also a car adapter, not just the wall adapter. It would seem a bit ridiculous to me to completely miss out on the awesome Game Gear just because you didn't want to fork out an extra $3, which costs less than using the 6 batteries.

And what if you're not playing in a car or anywhere near a wall outlet? What if one wants to play on a bus, train, or taxi? Or in the park, camping ground, or even just the school playground?

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mtngranek

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]How does it not forgive that? You can find the adapters dirt cheap and it completely eliminates the battery problem all-together. And there's also a car adapter, not just the wall adapter. It would seem a bit ridiculous to me to completely miss out on the awesome Game Gear just because you didn't want to fork out an extra $3, which costs less than using the 6 batteries.ThePlothole

And what if you're not playing in a car or anywhere near a wall outlet? Do the trees at the nearby park or camping ground have convenient plugs?

Why yes, you can also plug your NES in and play in the screen that is on the tree as well. They have really thought of everything, haven't they?

But seriously, if that is your argument, that you can't play the handheld in the manner in which it was designed, then your argument is week at best. You can't play the Gameboy at night, so unless those trees that you mentioned have lights on them too, you are quite out of luck. There are always drawbacks to everything, but that doesn't mean that it is bad.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Its awesome.... If you are in a place that is insanely well lit. Seriously the only place I can play my gameboy is in school where there are a million hallogen lights everywhere

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThePlothole

Why yes, you can also plug your NES in and play in the screen that is on the tree as well. They have really thought of everything, haven't they?

But seriously, if that is your argument, that you can't play the handheld in the manner in which it was designed, then your argument is week at best. You can't play the Gameboy at night, so unless those trees that you mentioned have lights on them too, you are quite out of luck. There are always drawbacks to everything, but that doesn't mean that it is bad.

Mtngranek

Because no one goes to the park in the daytime? I put edited in a whole bunch of other examples too, so go back and reread my post.

Of course there trade offs.... and saying that a power adapter eliminates the battery life issue is like saying a 60 watt light bulb eliminates the Game Boy's lack of built-in lighting issue.

Its awesome.... If you are in a place that is insanely well lit. Seriously the only place I can play my gameboy is in school where there are a million hallogen lights everywhere

VendettaRed07

They work wonderful outside in the day.

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mtngranek

[QUOTE="Mtngranek"]

ThePlothole

Because no one goes to the park in the daytime? I put edited in a whole bunch of other examples too, so go back and reread my post.

Of course there trade offs.... and saying that a power adapter eliminates the battery life issue is like saying a 60 watt light bulb eliminates the Game Boy's lack of built-in lighting issue.

VendettaRed07

They work wonderful outside in the day.

While I can see where you are coming from, I never said that getting a power adapter made the thing perfect. It really does have some flaws, but so did all of the other systems. The NES had the blinking red light, the Gameboy had the pea soup, only good in bright light screen, and hell, even the Playstation had those awful loading times. The only point that I am trying to get across here is that you should not miss out on a great system just because of a few flaws. Even the 360 and PS3 have the RROD and YLOD respectivly. Does that make them bad systems? No, it just makes them poorly designed.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Emerald_Warrior
[QUOTE="Mtngranek"]

ThePlothole

What? What kind of logic is that? The adapter is made for the Game Gear specifically to power the Game Gear. How is a light bulb comparable to that? And if you're gonna point out that single flaw in the Game Gear, what about the multiple flaws in the Game Boy? Monocrome color, pisspoor graphics, no back-light, no NES converter (the Game Gear has a Master System converter), no other functionality except to play games (Game Gear could be used for TV or radio). As for your example of playing in a park or outside, you're not out of luck. Even though you can't plug it in, you can still use the batteries. And the battery life is 6 hours. I doubt you'll ever play outside on a Game Gear or Gameboy for 6 hours at a time anyways. And you could play it at night outside if wanted even, which Gameboy cannot. I don't hate the Gameboy, I like it, but I simply feel that the Game Gear is superior, at least until GBA came out. And the battery life is a very trifle thing. That one advantage over Gameboy is really nothing in comparison to the advantages Game Gear has over Gameboy.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]What? What kind of logic is that? The adapter is made for the Game Gear specifically to power the Game Gear. How is a light bulb comparable to that? And if you're gonna point out that single flaw in the Game Gear, what about the multiple flaws in the Game Boy? Monocrome color, pisspoor graphics, no back-light, no NES converter (the Game Gear has a Master System converter), no other functionality except to play games (Game Gear could be used for TV or radio). As for your example of playing in a park or outside, you're not out of luck. Even though you can't plug it in, you can still use the batteries. And the battery life is 6 hours. I doubt you'll ever play outside on a Game Gear or Gameboy for 6 hours at a time anyways. And you could play it at night outside if wanted even, which Gameboy cannot. I don't hate the Gameboy, I like it, but I simply feel that the Game Gear is superior, at least until GBA came out. And the battery life is a very trifle thing. That one advantage over Gameboy is really nothing in comparison to the advantages Game Gear has over Gameboy.

The adapter overcomes the battery hogging nature of this handheld. The lightbulb overcomes the lack of self lighting.

It doesn't matter if you play for less than 6 hours at a time. You're still ultimately burning through AAs much quicker.

I'm not saying the Game Gear was a bad gaming system. If I really thought that then it wouldn't be on my wishlist of legacy consoles to acquire. It's just that its limited battery life seriously hinders it as a portable device. And while it can be argued that the Game Boy's purely reflective screen does this to some degree too, at least a sunny day doesn't cost you a single penny.

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mtngranek

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]What? What kind of logic is that? The adapter is made for the Game Gear specifically to power the Game Gear. How is a light bulb comparable to that? And if you're gonna point out that single flaw in the Game Gear, what about the multiple flaws in the Game Boy? Monocrome color, pisspoor graphics, no back-light, no NES converter (the Game Gear has a Master System converter), no other functionality except to play games (Game Gear could be used for TV or radio). As for your example of playing in a park or outside, you're not out of luck. Even though you can't plug it in, you can still use the batteries. And the battery life is 6 hours. I doubt you'll ever play outside on a Game Gear or Gameboy for 6 hours at a time anyways. And you could play it at night outside if wanted even, which Gameboy cannot. I don't hate the Gameboy, I like it, but I simply feel that the Game Gear is superior, at least until GBA came out. And the battery life is a very trifle thing. That one advantage over Gameboy is really nothing in comparison to the advantages Game Gear has over Gameboy.ThePlothole

The adapter overcomes the battery hogging nature of this handheld. The lightbulb overcomes the lack of self lighting.

It doesn't matter if you play for less than 6 hours at a time. You're still ultimately burning through AAs much quicker.

I'm not saying the Game Gear was a bad gaming system. If I really thought that then it wouldn't be on my wishlist of legacy consoles to acquire. It's just that its limited battery life seriously hinders it as a portable device. And while it can be argued that the Game Boy's purely reflective screen does this to some degree too, at least a sunny day doesn't cost you a single penny.

In reality, I don't use the Game Gear as a portable system. I can't afford the batteries...

Qu0t3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Qu0t3
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts
one word:POKEMON!!!!!!!
Qu0t3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Qu0t3
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts
STUPID SMILEY FACES!!!!!!!!!!
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

I like it more than the nintendo DS

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The original Gameboy 1989 was a piece of junk. Puke green dot matrix display with four tones of "black". Even when it was new in 1989 the Gameboy was considered a techological piece of junk. Dot matrix technolgy was on the way out back in 1987. So Nintendo using anold outdated display in 1989 was considered a mistake. The Nintendo gameboy seemed to be on it's way to failing when it was brand new in 1989. Plus it was an ugly handheld gaming device. Clunky and for an 8-bit machine (Z-80) was a unlikely success story for Nintendo. "Gameboy" was a dumb sounding name as well.

However the Nintendo Gameboy series was to be a major success for Nintendo. The Nintendo Gameboy, The Nintendo Gameboy Color, The Nintendo Gameboy Advance, and the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP, even the Gameboy Micro. These systems with there limited technological capabilities (even when they were brand new)ended up making Nintendo the King of Portable handheld gaming devices.

The Nintendo Gameboy brand of gaming machines are one of Nintendo's greatest success. Other competitors Handheld gaming systems were "better" then the Gameboyline of systems. But Nintendo managed to "defeat" Sega, Atari, NEC, SNK, and others. That crappyOriginal Gameboy started it all.Which continued with 4 other Gameboy's/and/or Gameboy variants. The Nintendo Gameboy ended up as a great system. A tradition which continues with the Nintendo DS series of portable gaming machines.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bigM10231

The original Gameboy 1989 was a piece of junk. Puke green dot matrix display with four tones of "black". Even when it was new in 1989 the Gameboy was considered a techological piece of junk. Dot matrix technolgy was on the way out back in 1987. So Nintendo using anold outdated display in 1989 was considered a mistake. The Nintendo gameboy seemed to be on it's way to failing when it was brand new in 1989. Plus it was an ugly handheld gaming device. Clunky and for an 8-bit machine (Z-80) was a unlikely success story for Nintendo. "Gameboy" was a dumb sounding name as well.

However the Nintendo Gameboy series was to be a major success for Nintendo. The Nintendo Gameboy, The Nintendo Gameboy Color, The Nintendo Gameboy Advance, and the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP, even the Gameboy Micro. These systems with there limited technological capabilities (even when they were brand new)ended up making Nintendo the King of Portable handheld gaming devices.

The Nintendo Gameboy brand of gaming machines are one of Nintendo's greatest success. Other competitors Handheld gaming systems were "better" then the Gameboyline of systems. But Nintendo managed to "defeat" Sega, Atari, NEC, SNK, and others. That crappyOriginal Gameboy started it all.Which continued with 4 other Gameboy's/and/or Gameboy variants. The Nintendo Gameboy ended up as a great system. A tradition which continues with the Nintendo DS series of portable gaming machines.

Megavideogamer
mega gamers dont hate on any video game product that doesnt deserve hate like the gameboy