What cause dizzy when play fps?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
I feel nothing when play Half Life, but I got sick with Bioshock. I wonder what cause dizzy in fps. Why did developer do these games became dizzy as hell.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
The camera angle. This is the reason why I can't get into FPS. It makes me dizzy and I hate it when you can't see the character.
Zedit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zedit
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts
Its probably because of the "blur" in graphics being used in recent fps games... just take take a couple of panadol/ dafalgan or wathever painkillers... :P
nb: u can also turn off the motion blur in the graphics options :)
truegamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 truegamer92
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts
It's because your moving your character with one joystick and controlling your aiming with another. For the longest time, I couldn't understand why I kept getting sick from FPS but I realize it was the constant moving from me trying to move my character and aiming. I never got sick from playing Golden Eye and that was a FPS. It's because the control scheme for that game allowed moving and aiming with one single joystick making it more linear. I tried the first Halo for xbox when it came out and got really sick. I was dissapointed cause everyone said it was such a great game and I wasn't able to play it without becoming ill. Then, Resistance came out for PS3 and I was determined to play it. Only this time, I would only make quick movements when necessary and took it slow at first. Now, I can play almost any FPS. But, yeah, Bioshock did make me a little dizzy too. Another thing that factors in are the environments. It's hard not to get dizzy when your in a tight confine space as in bioshock.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I heard that it's called "simulation" sickness, (not motion sickness), and basically it caused by you seeing an image that your brain is registering as being incorrect. When you move through the real world your body is making adjustments constantly, particularly with your sight. In some people, with certain simulations, your brain gets fooled into thinking that what it is seeing on a screen is reality and starts making adustments, leaving you feeling a little ill. (That's how it was explained at least on one of those science shows).

I'm not usually affected by this, but the game Breakdown, from Namco did this to me. They went a little further than games of the time in presenting a first person experience.

RedneckJazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 RedneckJazz
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Virtually ALL fps games used to make me ill. The worst was Turok for the Game Cube, and it made the whole family and spectators sick/dizzy as well. Then I played Resistance on the PS3 and it was like magic, no dizzy headaches.

It seems to me that a smooth frame rate and practical camera angles make all the difference. Call of Duty 4 doesn't bother me in the least, but Unreal Tournament 3 brought back the old whirly's. I'm really glad COD4 didn't bother me, I have a crapload of hours in on that game. Bad Company can get me just slightly dizzy, if I sit too close to the tv screen.

I thought I'd never be able to play and enjoy FPS games.

-Z-

truegamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 truegamer92
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

Virtually ALL fps games used to make me ill. The worst was Turok for the Game Cube, and it made the whole family and spectators sick/dizzy as well. Then I played Resistance on the PS3 and it was like magic, no dizzy headaches.

It seems to me that a smooth frame rate and practical camera angles make all the difference. Call of Duty 4 doesn't bother me in the least, but Unreal Tournament 3 brought back the old whirly's. I'm really glad COD4 didn't bother me, I have a crapload of hours in on that game. Bad Company can get me just slightly dizzy, if I sit too close to the tv screen.

I thought I'd never be able to play and enjoy FPS games.

-Z-

RedneckJazz

Like I said, Resistance for PS3 was the magic game that made playing FPS possible for me. Oh, and I agree with Unreal Tournament 3, I tried it and had to look away from the screen for a little bit when my friend was playing.

ish27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 ish27
Member since 2006 • 1003 Posts
I get sick of playing those nerdy RPG games like WoW, SRO, CABAL, etc. I can play CSS, Halo, COD4, for hours at a time (I've played 12 hours straight before), but I can only play third-person games for upto 2 hours until I feel like vomiting.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

One thing I don't like in FPS or any first person games is that the moves are limited. You can only walk, jump, and crouch/crawl.

In third person games you can do a lot of moves like cling on edges, many types of dodges (roll, jump dodge, strafe dodge, etc), peek from a corner, etc.

EquiIibrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EquiIibrium
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

The only game that has made me feel abit dizzy and/or sick is Portal, after putting a portal in the ceiling and one on the floor then constantly dropping through them. Can't stand it after a few seconds.

Other than that i've never felt dizzy on a game.

Zedit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zedit
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

Portal and Prey to exact ...

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
never felt dizzy on a console game, but i have in PC fps games.
Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
My sister got motion sickness playing Marathon. I've never had it playing any kind of game. I do get headaches after 15 minutes of Gears though for some reason. :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The only game where I get nausea almost to the point of vomiting every time I play it is the original Metroid Prime.Weird,considering it's my favorite game of all time,and I can't go through more than an hour without having to stop playing out of illness.
danmam2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 danmam2
Member since 2008 • 393 Posts

I had played countless FPS's without getting sick (Halo series, CoD4, many, many more) but Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (and Episodes 1 and 2) got me dizzy or gave me a headache.

Made it a lot harder to get through those games. They're great games, besides the dizziness.

n00b1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 n00b1337
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts
First and only time it struck me was playing UT on a new PC. I upped the refresh rate on the monitor to 75Hz (was 60Hz) and that fixed my problem.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Battlefield: BC made me dizzy when playing single player for some reason, no other game has done it though.
Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

I had played countless FPS's without getting sick (Halo series, CoD4, many, many more) but Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (and Episodes 1 and 2) got me dizzy or gave me a headache.

Made it a lot harder to get through those games. They're great games, besides the dizziness.

danmam2

i'm in the same boat, as i'm going through half-life 2 now and can only play for up to an hour before i have to shut the game off...it'll probably take me a year just to finish the campaign mode and the rest of the episodes in the orange box (portal has been great to me so far though, fortunately)...

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I think it effects a few people. I haven't really had a problem before when it comes to playing games, but I know my brother gets dizzy playing Call of Duty 4.

My eyes start to hurt if I play for many hours. Since one of my eyes is bad, I have a hard time focusing at times and my eyes start to twitch or feel sore. A little rest gets me back on track. But I never experienced dizziness before.

zorlak316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zorlak316
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

im gettin dizzy right now at Resident Evil 5 in pc, im having a problem with those over the shoulder shooters, had experienced dizziness also in gears of war pc and deadspace pc, both i didnt bother to finish..but on fps i have no problems at all.

angelbelow000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 angelbelow000
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

Spinning in circles. Don't do it.

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#23 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts

i think it is mainly dealing witht the camera angle and the amount you can see i the picture.

Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts
The special blur effects added to fully immerse you into the gaming experience.
Danny--T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Danny--T
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts
i never have had a problem with dizzyness while playing a fps game, and thats on pc and xbox
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#26 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Spinning in circles. Don't do it.

angelbelow000

:lol: