what are some good upcoming rpgs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

so ofc i know all about dragon age and the witcher .. but other than those two .. what are some good upcoming rpgs ?

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

To Name a few:

• Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
  • Wasteland 2
  • Sacred 3
  • Risen 3
  • Gauntlet
  • Destiny
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Divinity: Original Sin (just came out)
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44284 Posts

Tales of Xillia 2 comes out August 19th for the PS3.

nechiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nechiken
Member since 2009 • 93 Posts

Rpgs are my favourite genre and I'm not looking forward to any upcoming rpgs. Western RPGs are moving towards flashy, illusion of choice shooters and JRPGs suffered horribly because devs don't know how to escape the random battle era.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@nechiken said:

Rpgs are my favourite genre and I'm not looking forward to any upcoming rpgs. Western RPGs are moving towards flashy, illusion of choice shooters

You need to get on PC man. Classic style WRPGs are actually coming out again. (thanks to kickstarter mostly)

Divinity: Original Sin (just came out)

Wasteland 2

Pillars of Eternity

Age of Decadence

Dead State

Torment: Tides of Numenera

UnderRail

Grimoire

You've already had some releases like Might & Magic X, Blackguards (sequel is coming), Expeditions: Conquistador, Legend of Grimrock (sequel is coming), Shadowrun: Returns..

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Divinity is a pretty good pick. Really open ended quest structure with multiple ways to complete objectives. The characters in the game will at times joke about the lack of quest arrows, an obvious shot at modern RPGs leading you by the hand everywhere. Some of the stuff is genuinely hard to figure out and some solutions present themselves only to players with certain abilities, meaning there is actually some RPG to this RPG.

Conversations affect the course of quests but also can result in bonuses that affect your stats in addition to your ability to achieve results with conversations elsewhere.

Environments come heavily into play...freeze a puddle of water and watch your enemy slip on it, blow something up to create a smokescreen protecting your more sensitive characters from long range attacks, etc.

Neat crafting system that's pretty logical - find pieces of paper and enchant them with spells, stack the resulting spell scrolls into a book that can be used to teach other characters the skills.

Easily a 60 hour game your first time through and you won't complete everything because, like i said, the solutions will often escape you without a guide, even though there's usually more than one solution.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Tokeism said:

To Name a few:

• Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
  • Wasteland 2
  • Sacred 3
  • Risen 3
  • Gauntlet
  • Destiny
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Divinity: Original Sin (just came out)

This list is pretty good roundup.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

Don't forget DiabloIII RoS/PS4 also coming out this August. I been waiting for this one.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@nechiken said:

Rpgs are my favourite genre and I'm not looking forward to any upcoming rpgs. Western RPGs are moving towards flashy, illusion of choice shooters and JRPGs suffered horribly because devs don't know how to escape the random battle era.

WRPG are suffering because they are focusing one picks in menu and JRPG are suffering because too many are whining believe the ideal that turn base battles are out of date. So now JRPG are abandoning what made them good just to make the whiners happy.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#10 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 are also big games, but they don't have official release dates yet. And from what I've seen of FF15, the combat looks freaking awesome. Hopefully the story is on-par with the SNES games.