weird habits you have with games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

poordude1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 poordude1089
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

What do you guys do that you think might be weird or that you think nobody else does?

Me, I can't play a horror game if the sun is up, I have to wait until dark, turn off the lights, etc. Also, in games where there isn't a level select (like RPGs) i tend to make permanent saves so I can come back to a part of the game later.

MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts

I always itch when I play music games, soI have to wait until a fill or break in the song to scratch it. Sometimes I take a risk and go to scratch and screw up the perfect run. Also, I'm extremely conservative with saves in most games. Specifically in RPGs, I usually save after every little thing.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#3 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Hmm, I'm not really sure. I have to have a large portion of time available in the next coming days to start a new game. Also, I need to play a game on it's original system as authentically as I can. none of that is really strange.
bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

What do you guys do that you think might be weird or that you think nobody else does?

Me, I can't play a horror game if the sun is up, I have to wait until dark, turn off the lights, etc. Also, in games where there isn't a level select (like RPGs) i tend to make permanent saves so I can come back to a part of the game later.

poordude1089
Sorry to burst your bubble but I do that too 8)
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

I save alot in games you can save whenever you want. And i mean alot. Once everytime i kill something or turn a corner.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I don't think I have any anymore, as I'm not as into games as I used to be, but there were games that I had to complete beyond 100%. Off the top of my head; before I even entered the last Koopa battle in Mario 64, I had to not only get all 120 stars, but also grab every single coin in every single level in order to assure myself that I had the maximum score possible. That led to some frustrating times. I also remember not advancing in that game until I had fully completed the given floor.

In Zelda games, I have a tendency to cut down every bush and blade of grass in the game. I know other people surely do this as well, but as fans of the series, we almost already know where objects will actually be uncovered. I also won't complete any Zelda game unless I've found every last treasure/heart in the game.

I used to play Goldeneye with the same intensity that I would with sports. When things weren't going right, times would get heated and when all was said and done, any two given opposing teams could go the rest of the day without talking to each other. Or we'd cool off for a bit and have back at the game. Such a great game.

If I was in the middle of a game, say Blast Corps, and I came into a room and a friend was further along than I was, I would not want to look at the screen. This is one of the few that I still do, i suppose. Spoilers are bad in any kind of game.

I tend to kill every enemy in Metal Gear games.

Like others have mentioned, when starting a new game I need to invest a bit of time in initially playing it. It helps me develop that connection with the games story and world. Most new game stories and worlds are terrible these days, so maybe not so much.

Donkey Kong Country will forever be the best looking game ever made.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I make weird faces when playing hard games :P
MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts
I make weird faces when playing hard games :Pracing1750
Oh, this reminds me. I usually end up having my tongue out while playing rhythm games.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 racing1750
[QUOTE="racing1750"]I make weird faces when playing hard games :PMarioRPGer
Oh, this reminds me. I usually end up having my tongue out while playing rhythm games.

My brother has a bad habit of drooling when he's concentrating :lol:
CD-i_ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CD-i_ownz
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

Whenever I play a stealth game I feel like I have to somehow dispatch every guard even if sneaking past them is the much easier option.

Bridgelayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bridgelayer
Member since 2008 • 236 Posts

Whenever I play a stealth game I feel like I have to somehow dispatch every guard even if sneaking past them is the much easier option.

CD-i_ownz

i have this same problem as well, taking the more violent and needless route when leaving things be would be much easier. Also I have a tendency to jerk or move the controller as i'm playing, like that really helps my gameplay movements.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Also I have a tendency to jerk or move the controller as i'm playing, like that really helps my gameplay movements.

Bridgelayer

cool so you're good at wii and aren't complaining about playstation move.

DanDaRuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 DanDaRuff
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

Whenever I'm playing a game like OoT I'll always reset my file after the first boss until I get it right. Usually the rule for me is that I can't take damage once in the first dungeon, and I have to save at certain points in the game. i.e. When I first start, after I talk to Saria, after I obtain the sword, after I buy the shield, e.t.c.

And I must do things in a certain order, to make it feel more "smooth" to me.

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
-I refuse to use potions in the newer Castlevanias -In FPS/RPG's I save after almost every kill. This is why I can't stand playing these games anymore, I hate it so much but I can't stop. -If I lose too many lives in a game I just give up and kill myself so I can restart with more lives again for a better chance at beating the stage (Contra etc.)
Hellfire-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Hellfire-1
Member since 2009 • 3532 Posts
I duck when I go under close overpasses in racing games, and turn in my seat with the car...
IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
If I'm really into a game, when my character dies I fall in real life. Heh!
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

When I'm playing racing games I tend to shut my eyes for a second or two every now and then or quickly glance at something away from the telly. It usually happens if I'm on the last lap or at a really tense part.

I don't know why I do it, but I can't seem to help it. It's as if there's an urge inside me to blink/look away :lol:

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

I curse a lot when I'm losing, and get real impatient and jittery when a game takes forever to load. No, I'm not ten years old.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Reloading weapons when I have 27 bulllets left or checking the map although I know where I'm going. Damn my OCD.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

I wait untill the whole house is quiet before I play some games, atleast for parts I know are going to be emotional.

I also always run in a specific pattern if the ground has a design. for ex: In Persona 4 in Rise's dungeon, I tried to not run in the center of the floor tiles.

Also, if it's a game where I'm becoming close to someone....like Agarest or an Eroge, I kind have the tendancy to squeal like a girl and smile.:? I should really stop that.

icy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 icy06
Member since 2005 • 727 Posts

I save alot in games you can save whenever you want. And i mean alot. Once everytime i kill something or turn a corner.

Zerocrossings

Man, I should do this more. Was playing through Deus Ex today, played for about 1hr after my last save point and died, thus loosing an hr of progress :(

Edit: Also, I don't like games that have really hard boss fights, so I normally just exit the game if I lose more then 2/3 times.

Lost_Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lost_Omega
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

My mouth will sometimes open involuntarily when I'm really into a game.

BradHummr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 BradHummr
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts
I'm with you guys on several things here! First one is saving all the time with game that have that feature. Turn a corner, save. Kill an enemy, save. Did I save or not? Don't remember. Save. Another thing I do is reload constantly. Even if I only have one bullet from my clip missing, I'll reload. It really interferes when I play game where the bullets in the clip I'm reloading don't carry over to the next clip. :P Another thing I do, in racing/driving games, is test out vehicles by seeing how well they can do donuts. In PGR3 I would do donuts every time I test drove a new car. I do the same in GRiD and I can't think of a single racing game where I didn't attempt donuts.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Despite how long I've waited on a game, I'm hesitant to start it. Maybe a fear of a letdown? I dunno.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I reload too frequently in FPS games.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I make weird faces when playing hard games :Pracing1750
I don't make weird faces I stand up when I'm playing a difficult level in a game. If I sit down and play a game I'm ok but I start to have trouble but when I stand up I usually beat that level or Boss within the next 2 tries onyl problem is I can't play the whole game like that or my feet and legs would hurt.

When I play Rhythm games I have to stand to play Guitar parts like in Rock Band because if I sit down I mess up. Samething with the having to stand up but I'm trying to move around the room constantly so I'm not standing in one spot and my feet get hurt.

Hellfire-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Hellfire-1
Member since 2009 • 3532 Posts
Despite how long I've waited on a game, I'm hesitant to start it. Maybe a fear of a letdown? I dunno.btaylor2404
Me too. My reason is that it looks so awesome in the packaging...
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I tend to hold my breath when my character has to swim underwater. Thats about it, actually.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I don't enjoy games during the morning/midday as much as I do at night/wee hours of the morning. I'm not by any stretch extremely active, but sitting down to play a game when the sun's still up doesn't work for me. During the weekday, and I have nothing to do, I'll still only play with my friends starting at 9 or 10. It's the same with TV, too. I would rather start late and watch well into the morning than get an early start if I have a DVD set.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#31 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]Despite how long I've waited on a game, I'm hesitant to start it. Maybe a fear of a letdown? I dunno.Hellfire-1
Me too. My reason is that it looks so awesome in the packaging...

Not for me (I've sold the packaging for games for years) I just have a fear of an epic letdown. Dunno why. Ripped GOW III & Bioshock 2 right open, RDR sat there for a week or so.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"]I make weird faces when playing hard games :PNintendo_Ownes7

I don't make weird faces I stand up when I'm playing a difficult level in a game. If I sit down and play a game I'm ok but I start to have trouble but when I stand up I usually beat that level or Boss within the next 2 tries onyl problem is I can't play the whole game like that or my feet and legs would hurt.

When I play Rhythm games I have to stand to play Guitar parts like in Rock Band because if I sit down I mess up. Samething with the having to stand up but I'm trying to move around the room constantly so I'm not standing in one spot and my feet get hurt.

lol nice. Another habit is when i've been playing a level for hours and can't beat it, so i shut off my console and go to bed. The next day i fire up the same level and beat it in my first attempt :P That has happened to me a few times.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I save a lot in games that let you do so anytime and anywhere. Like Oblivion or Metal Gear Solid 2. I feel like I'm cheating, but I hate it when games send me back so far after I mess up.

ProjectClash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ProjectClash
Member since 2010 • 805 Posts

In RPG's i tend to have the need to discover every place possible and talk to every NPC which is the reason i gave up on Oblivion.

mm551144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mm551144
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts
In a game, when my character looks up, i also tilt my head like im looking up while im looking at the screen.
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
on my tv or receiver when i play games the volume has to be at an interval of 5, like 35,40 or 45. i have no idea why, i just do. that and I always have to have a drink with me
Avatar image for TheMorriganCall
TheMorriganCall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheMorriganCall
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
After completing a game as much as I possibly can, and if it allows you to play after you've beaten it (Fable, and the like) I'll begin to imagine new story lines within the game and play them out.
IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
I reload too frequently in FPS games.Crimsader
I do this too. I was playing Killzone 2 today and laughed out loud when I got a trophy for it.
txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

I have OCD. That says enough.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I always save the game for the final time in a certain way after completing an open ended game 100% or the equivalent if the game doesn't have a completion percentage.

Take RDR which I just finished 100%. I had to save in the family home wearing the default outfit. In Bully, I had to save in the original dorm with again the default outfit. I don't know why I do it but it makes me feel like the game is fully complete if that makes sense.

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts
[QUOTE="tryagainlater"]

I always save the game for the final time in a certain way after completing an open ended game 100% or the equivalent if the game doesn't have a completion percentage.

Take RDR which I just finished 100%. I had to save in the family home wearing the default outfit. In Bully, I had to save in the original dorm with again the default outfit. I don't know why I do it but it makes me feel like the game is fully complete if that makes sense.

I see some OCD traits.
GSB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 GSB93
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts

Lol I have a few of these.

Right when I am about to complete a very hard level I've already failed like 4 times, and I die, I double over in my chair like I just got shot in the stomach lol idk why I do that. Also in sandbox games I NEED to act like a normal person (drive like everybody else, not randomly shoot people, stop at red lights, walk, not sprint everywhere I go lol. Also if I mess up a little bit, like in GTA 4 if I get hit by a car, I'll reload the game because I just think what happened was stupid and shuouldn't have happened lol.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

- I always have coffee, soda, or water with me while gaming.

- I spend way too much time in the character creation portion of RPG's.

- I itemize all of the games that I want to buy, creating categorized lists, price sheets, etc. (Dorky, I know.)

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
Playing a game up to a point very close to the end and then not finishing it until months later, although lately I haven't been playing many games at all really.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
In First Person Shooters I always reload a clip if I can and there's nothing to shoot at that time, even if I've fired only a single bullet. Not a clever thing to do when playing online though.