Under the radar, hidden gem Games of 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Overall I'd say 2012 offered a lot to games, maybe not alot in the new IP department, but some overall incredible AAA tiles. Outside of the AAA tiles, I ran across a few games that may have not been widely popular or critically acclaimed but overall provided a great gaming experience. I am curious what under the radar games did you pick up and absolutely enjoy in 2012? Who knows, maybe you'll post a game others completely missed, but check out after seeing your forum post! I am sure a lot of these games are now in the 10 - 30 dollar range, making it even worth that much more to check out! 

Here are a few of mine (note I played these all on the PS3):

1.) The Darkness II: I loved the first game, sure it wasn't perfect, but it offered a good story with great gameplay. I was interested in the sequel, but just completely missed it when it was first released. I did eventually check it out last fall, and I really enjoyed it. The story was pretty solid and did just enough to keep you wanting to know more....so you kept playing! The gameplay and use of special powers was awesome, you felt like a powerhouse at times and the gameplay was excellent throughout the ~ 6 - 8 hour story! The game came out with a Co-op mode, of course the servers were a little dead when I got the game. Convinced two friends to pick up the game though and we did have some fun for a week or 2 playing through the co-op missions. If you missed this game and like FPS games in general, its worth checking this game out, esp at its discount price if you can find it!

2.) Ridge Racer: Unbounded: Racing is my favorite gaming genre. I love simulation style racers and I love arcade style racers. Saw this game on clearance at target last month, so I figured I'd check it out as I remember reviews somewhat favorable for this game. Glad I gave it a shot, because I keep playing this game on and off. It is largely an arcade style racer with overall good drifting mechanics, the catch here is you can destroy parts of the track/environment giving you the edge in races. This is not the first time this type of element has been added in a racing game (split/second) but it is defintely implemented very well. It adds a layer of depth to the racing. Everything else in the game from graphics to sound to content is good across the board. Some of the tracks feel a little too similar but that has to do with them being constructing by a dev tool which gamers can use in an edit mode to make your own tracks. More replay!!

3.) SpecOps: The Line: I actually picked up this game fairly close to its release date, but it got hidden real fast with 3rd quarters AAA games releasing a month later. The 3rd person action isstandard, nothing terribly new here. The game takes place in an environment riddled with sandstorms, which are well done, and adds a nice wrinkle to the gameplay. The story is what shines here! Excellent story telling and you are faced with some tough in-game decisions. Atmosphere is extremely well done, and I can honestly say if you just like action games in general and would like to play through an epic story, check this out. The game includes multiplayer, the servers have to be dead now, but even if they weren't, it was very standard and nothing to write home about.

So those are my 3 hidden gems of 2012! I'd recommend any of the to you if you are into those genres. You can get them at a discount price, why not check them out! Interesting to hear what games you loved that were under the radar! I am sure I'll end up checking a few out! (yes I tend to write alot when I do post in forums, sorry in advance!!)

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts

Binary Domain. A neat twist on the third person squad shooter. Also had a very well done story. Overall, it's just a ton to play. I think it's around 15-20 bucks now

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Spec Ops was amazing and was probally in my top 3 favorite games of 2012

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I agree with your first two choices, but I'm not sure about Spec Ops. Sure, it wasn't super popular at release, but I think it was one of the most talked about games of 2012.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

If you have a 3DS and like anything Final Fantasy you owe it to yourself to get this game

Theatrhythm.png

It's fun, charming, accessible and chock full of content and collectables. I had no plans on getting this and laughed at the big reveal for the 25th anniversary (a music game, really?).

There's a neat little demo with a couple of songs on there and just those two songs alone were enough.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Binary Domain. A neat twist on the third person squad shooter. Also had a very well done story. Overall, it's just a ton to play. I think it's around 15-20 bucks now

Canuck3000
This. The story is the best part about the game.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

closure was one of my favorite games last year but it wasn't a big seller and it wasn't on many game of the year lists. it's a devious puzzle game that expects a lot out of the player. that's not just in terms of puzzles, but also in noticing details for the story.

sound shapes was really good too. it's a sharp merging of platformers and music games. any platforming you do has an effect on (or is effected by) the music and all the music has roots in the gameplay.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Uh, Adventure Time 3DS, I suppose? I didn't really play that many games from 2012, and most of the ones I did play were high-profile in some degree.
Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts
Dishonored for me it wasn't talked about much but had a amazing single player and great reviews to back this game up.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
Binary Domain
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Syndicate. Say what you will but Starbreeze knows how to make some excellent FPS campaigns.
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

All of you guys that have mentioned binary domain, thank you! Picked it up for $20, and played a few hours this morning, its def a fun 3rd person shooter and so far the story has been interesting!

You may be right, Spec Ops was hyped prior to release and talked about for sure in 2012. On the flip side, it seems like all of my friends who game never played it, so that is why I tabbed it as a hidden gem. Regardless, it was a great gameing experience, I may fire that one up again next week and play thorugh the story again!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think Final Fantasy 13-2 is a pretty good game that got overlooked
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Ridge Racer Unbounded and Sleeping Dogs

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
999 is a game that was much better than I thought it would be. In fact, it probably has the best written story, in a video game, that I have played in a long time. Everything just fits together so perfectly in the end. Nothing is there to show you how the story is put together; you have to put the pieces of the puzzle together yourself.
ESPM400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ESPM400
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
With the exception of Far Cry 3, the end of 2012 saw me playing a lot of alpha and beta builds, along with a bunch of indy games, something I've not been all that into until recently. Although my favorite game of last year does fit into one of the aforementioned catergories (it's a mod that's still in alpha), I wouldn't call it 'under the radar.' It's 'DayZ,' and despite the recent press it received during the Steam/WarZ controversy I'm still surprised how many people haven't heard of it. If you are a fan of survival games, I would seriously suggest you check it out. The second one I played that deserves some recognition would be 'Don't Starve.' Although it is a survival game as well, it's one of a totally different variety. It's an indy game that is still in beta (last time I checked) that is intensely addicting. It's strange, but the satisfaction I've been getting out of the non-AAA titles of late has been intensely gratifying. Not only can you usually get several for price of one retail release (which means when you burn out on one, you have others to take its place), but you often get a certain uniqueness that is rarely seen in the games of today.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Darksiders 2.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
For me it was Spec Ops: The Line, and Hitman Absolution. Playing through Binary Domain right now actually, and while I find it to be fun, And the game play itself fantastic. I find the story a little bit second string, and felt like Alpha Protocol was better. Then again I am just coming off of playing Max Payne 3 so maybe my judgement is clouded atm /shrug.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the darkness 2

Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
Is Homefront from 2012? That game for me.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Knytt Underground.getyeryayasout
Ew. Hated that game. It was sooooooo boring. One of my least favourite Vita games I own for sure.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
[QUOTE="Sali217"]For me it was Spec Ops: The Line, and Hitman Absolution. Playing through Binary Domain right now actually, and while I find it to be fun, And the game play itself fantastic. I find the story a little bit second string, and felt like Alpha Protocol was better. Then again I am just coming off of playing Max Payne 3 so maybe my judgement is clouded atm /shrug.

Wait for the ending.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Glad to see so many mentions of Binary Domain. I consider it the second best third person shooter in existence, behind the masterfully crafted Vanquish.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"][QUOTE="Sali217"]For me it was Spec Ops: The Line, and Hitman Absolution. Playing through Binary Domain right now actually, and while I find it to be fun, And the game play itself fantastic. I find the story a little bit second string, and felt like Alpha Protocol was better. Then again I am just coming off of playing Max Payne 3 so maybe my judgement is clouded atm /shrug.

Wait for the ending(s).

fixed
YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 YosemiteSam400
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts
Chocolate chunks is another underrated gem