top 3 game stories this gen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

the more i play games this gen i notice that stories take a huge backseat this gen. i hate this becouse a great story in a game can make me get immersed in the experience and overall enjoy it much more when done right. but while i noticed this i looked at some of the story's this gen and found some unmatched by anything on the past 2 generations.

what are your top 3?

3: kane and lynch: dead men

(yah yah debate the quality of this game all you want but one thing we should all agree that the story to this game is amazing. it has some of my favorite moments in gameing this gen for how they seemlisley implement tense story moments into gameplay)

2: mgs 4

(i dont want to explain why this is an amazing story beouse that would take up about 5 paragraphs of praiseing this game. all i have to say is everything is handled perfectly in this. even the 90 minuete ending was a blast to watch. this games story is the defenition of perfect)

1: gta 4

(this is without a doubt the best mob story ive ever heard. niko bellic is one of the best video game charecters ever. the story may be slow at the beggining but the second you get to mission 11 "uncle vlad" the story skyrockets to top quality. the ending to this game(revenge ending at the least) is one of my favorite closures to a game ever. i cannot give this games story praise anough let alone this game. this is the second best story ive ever heard in about anything. if this game was a movie trilogy it would be one of the greatest written films ever)

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#2 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
1.MGS4 2.ME2 3.Maybe Heavy Rain
djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

1. Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2- The deepest, most engaging space opera since the original Star Wars trilogy.

2. Assassin's Creed & Assassin's Creed 2- The first game was a little confusing and the gameplay was a bit shallow, but the overall arc is unique and interesting.

3. Uncharted 2- not nearly as deep or unique as the previous 2, but the way it's told is exceptional.

BlueHarvest28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlueHarvest28
Member since 2010 • 323 Posts

the call of duty's mw and mw2

Gta iv BOGT

AC2 or Red dead redemption

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I don't know if I can rank them. -Mass Effect. I won't include the second even though it's part of the same series, and I can't in good conscience pick it on its own because the story isn't as good as the first. The game itself is better, yes, but the lack of a real villain hurts the game, and the structure only serves to break it up more. Where characters aren't quite as fleshed out in the first game, the overall narrative is much stronger and by the time the end rolls around you feel a real sense of satisfaction rather than the annoyance ME2's ending brings. -Deadly Premonition. The game itself isn't so good, but the story is unique and nothing short of fantastic. You've got the seemingly dual-personality main character, obsessed with obscure 80s movies, and a cast of crazy small town people from cross dressers to fat traveling plant salesmen and a guy so obsessed with rocking out 24/7 that his wife keeps stealing and hiding his guitar. I just can't say much more about the story itself for fear of spoilers, because it goes into so many bizarre places. -Bioshock. A safe choice, maybe, but the way it handles the story (for the first half or 3/4s of the game, anyway) is masterful. Sure, it kind of falls apart at the end (especially the lame final boss that would be more at home in Doom) but it's still a unique tale and told in a way that would only work as a videogame.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#7 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

3. inFamous

2. Half Life 2: Episode Two

1. Mass Effect (The story in Mass Effect is miles better than in Mass Effect 2)

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

id go with dragon age origins, mgs4, and valkyria chronicles. its rare that you get a game with as rigid a mission structure as VC and still have a story that works so well in conjunction with gameplay.

i still have play some big titles this generation though like heavy rain (somebody spoiled it on these boards and im trying to forget it as well as wait for ps move in the hopes that it will be a better way to experience the game) and bioshock though.

CHOVI3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#9 CHOVI3
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

The only one i've played with an amazing storyline so far is hotel dusk: room 215

It's sequel will probably have an awesome story too

And maybe i'd add Resident Evil 4 for the wii (even though's a remake)

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 livingundead
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

Uncharted series

Bioshock series

Mass Effect

Bioshock would probably be #1, but it's horribly close. I'm not big on survival horror games. Other than S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bioshock is the only one of played. The game is intense, and it's like the wrold has feeling. The story line seems pretty basic, but it evolves as you play by including audio journals from people and you learn how they live, and what happened. I thought it was really well done.

Mass Effect was AMAZING. My friend lent me his XBOX 360 so I could play it (and Bioshock to a lesser, but more surprising extent). I didn't like the characters as much as the ones in ME2, but I like the story better. IMO ME2's story isn't finished yet, so I can't really say I've beaten it. Mass Effect kind of had a slow start, but once it got going it was pretty intense.

Uncharted. The first one was impressive. Nothing special though. To me it seemed like it was just to show the capabilities of the PS3. Uncharted 2 was absolutely golden though. I was totlly immersed in the game. I had to force myself to take breaks. And when I wasn't playing it I was thinking what was going to happen next. If more games are made as well as Uncharted 2, the movie industry might be in some trouble.

HM to Valkyrie Chronicles (I haven't beat it yet), Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age: Origins.

OneShotFOGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OneShotFOGE
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 - I give major credit to Kohima in not only wrapping up but finding an interesting and reasonably realistic rationale for everything in the other games. I truly loved the way they explained the la-le-Lu-le-lo and Vamp. Also, Meryl was an interesting character and I liked seeing a strong female role for her in MGS 4. Uncharted 1&2 - Hollywood should take note of the amazing storytelling in this game. It's funny, interesting and unique. Nathan Drake is the Indiana Jones of our generation and I cannot wait for a third and perhaps final uncharted. Resistance 1&2 - I got obsessed with the story in each of these games. I tried my damnedest to findand actually read all the intel. I watched a show on the history channel about the asteroid in Tunguska, Russia in 1908 that "started" the story of Fall of Man. I was shocked at the end of R2 and am dieing to play the third one. Do u hear me insomniac?! I want resistance 3 and I want it soon!
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts

Heavy Rain

Gta Iv

MGS4

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

1. MGS4

2. Mass Effect 1 & 2

3. Halo 3

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Luthreidrome
Member since 2009 • 253 Posts

Lots of the ones Id pick are already stated, Id add Half Life 2 (as well as episode 1&2) the writing is simply exceptional.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#15 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

1. Mass Effect.

2. BioShock

3. Gears of War

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 TleilaxuMaster
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

Numbers 1, 2 and 3 right here. No contest.

100 CIassic Books - Nintendo DS

Or is this cheating?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3121 Posts

Geometry Wars 1 and 2.

\thread.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

1. Bioshock series

2. Mass Effect series

3. Alan Wake

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Lack of brutal legends is sad.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

Lack of brutal legends is sad.

Wolfetan

From what I've played of Brutal Legend, I would have to say the story was going quite well. However, the game was so bad I couldn't even tolerate it enough to continue the tale.

Gezo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gezo24
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts

Read Dead Redemption

Metal Gear Solid 4

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 2 wasnt really that much of a new idea, it was almost the same as the first one, but it was really cool how it played out like a movie. Metal Gear Solid 4 was confusing without a doubt, but it was epic. Red Dead Redemption is just number 1.

cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
FFXIII valkyria chronicles MGS4
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jsh020
FFXIII valkyria chronicles MGS4cropcircles
i loved XIII but i know the story wasnt good. it was the charecters that made the game and not the actual plot. and ill admit XIII's story has way to many striking similaritys to X. ragnorok=sin sanctum=church of yevon lli'ce= al-bhed but still it had anough twists on the formula that seperate it from "X entirly.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I would say Tales of Vesperia, FFXIII and Mass Effect.

Worse story GTA4 and Fallout 3.

cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
[QUOTE="cropcircles"]FFXIII valkyria chronicles MGS4jsh020
i loved XIII but i know the story wasnt good. it was the charecters that made the game and not the actual plot. and ill admit XIII's story has way to many striking similaritys to X. ragnorok=sin sanctum=church of yevon lli'ce= al-bhed but still it had anough twists on the formula that seperate it from "X entirly.

i think it has one of the best stories ever.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jsh020
[QUOTE="jsh020"][QUOTE="cropcircles"]FFXIII valkyria chronicles MGS4cropcircles

i think it has one of the best stories ever.

its just in my eyes that on a charecter driven story scale then yes best story ever. on story wise. its a good. like a 80/100 if i had to score it. but still proboly the most underatted game this year. which will proboly be tropped by kane and lynch 2 which i just have a feeling from all the hate towards it becouse of mafia 2 i doubt it'll sell
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#27 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
The Witcher Hotel Dusk: Room 215 Overclocked: A History of Violence Yeah, actually I am gonna break the rules by adding NWN2: MotB, Bioshock, Cryostasis, A Vampyre Story and Ace Attorney as well.