Thoughts on Dirge of Cerberus FFVII?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformersFan
TransformersFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TransformersFan
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

Hope that this is the right forum for this as the game specific forum is pretty inactive, but I was wondering what were some opinions and thoughts on Dirge of Cerberus. GS gave it a 6.0, but the user reviews are all over the spectrum. As a Final Fantasy fan would this be a nice addition to my collection? I read some good things about the story and cinematics, but that the gameplay was pretty mediocre. How about the locales? Do you get to revisit sme famous FF7 locations but now in updated graphics? One of my fave things in Crisis Core was visting some of the original locations from the church in the Midgar slums to Nibleheim.

So I saw this for sale at my local gamestore and i was wondering if it was worth a play?

Thanks in advance. :)

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

Terrible, absolutely horrible game.

The game's shooting has no weight whatsoever. It feels like you're shooting a pellet gun. It's almost like a tun-based feel but it real-time. It's really bad.

The Final Fantasy VII setting isn't enough to help you enjoy the bad gameplay and shooting. It appears that Square-Enix got better with third person shooting seeing how 3rd Birthday has a pretty good mechanic. If SE made Dirge of Cerberus with 3rd Birthday's engine and shooting, it would've been pretty good, although we would never know how that would translate to Dirge's game design.

If you really like FFVII then I guess you may find enjoyment if you're a fan. But I say just play Crisis Core or 3rd Birthday instead. Much better games.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I liked it. The shooting isn't as good as other 3rd person shooters but I thought it was still pretty fun. And the story should be interesting if you're a fan of FFVII, and are interested in Vincent's story.

As for the locales, you go to some of the familier towns, but they will look quite a bit different.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

meh. you do see a few locations from ffvii on ps2 power, but even that isnt much of a spectacle anymore with current generation standards. its mostly just a really bland shooter with some undercooked elements from the ff series thrown in. if youre a huge ffvii fan and can find it for under $10, i guess you could satisfy your curiosity. even then, there are much better shooters and ff games out there to play.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

it was a dry uninteresting experience.. and its challenge maps made me want to fall asleep with dis interest.. is it a bad game? no but is it better than say a 5/10.. id sooner eat my arm than agree to that.

tombtraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tombtraider
Member since 2004 • 497 Posts

It was an ok game. They did not put enough stuff in it to entise the person who is playing the game. They did not have enough locations, only a gun for a weapon. It was way too short of a game. The other ff games were longer and more challenging to play. Since the game is pretty cheap now, it would not hurt to but it and try it out. You may like it or not. You wont know intell you try.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Trash, complete and utter trash.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It definitely lacked personality.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Bad gameplay. Some nice ideas, but they were executed poorly. Boring, derivative level design, superficial RPG elements, and a definite lack of variation. All of the enemies are basically the same, aside from the bosses, and it's pretty much a rinse and repeat type of deal with every level. That being said, I would play the game again because I'm a hardcore FFVII fan, I love Vincent and the story is actually pretty good. If I didn't play it, I would definitely feel like I missed out in terms of the story of FFVII.