This generation has killed turn-based gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

I don't know if it's this generation of consoles, or this generation of gamers, but one or the other is about to ring the death knell on turn-based RPGs, and I couldn't be more disappointed.

It seems like even self-proclaimed RPG lovers are pushing for more action-oriented gameplay, and it sickens me. Supposedly, turn-based combat is "out of date," or "doesn't work with current levels of graphics," and I find these ideas completely mind-boggling.

Turn-based combat is supposed to be slower, but with a deeply strategic edge that you can't find in twitch gameplay. That's not to say that a lot of companies haven't just glossed over the whole "deeply strategic" part, and made combat as easy as mashing the X button, but its strength lays in its potential, not the lazy, over-simplified schlock some developers are willing to put out.

*Sighs* I don't know... I just feel like I'm an ever-dwindling minority, and it makes me feel like I'm going to lose that niche in gaming that I've carefully carved out for myself.

For the record, this rant was instigated by this article: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/final-fantasy-xv-could-be-action-rpg

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I thought FF 12 handled battles really well. I don't even care about all that, I just want a good rpg. There hasn't been a single rpg on the ps3 this gen save for Eternal Sonata. I'm still waiting on Tales of Vesperia.

Seriously, not a single great RPG. It's goddamn depressing. The Wii doesn't have one either. Though I haven't kept up to date on all this Operation Pandora thingy. If it's even a
thing anymore. God knows gamers don't have enough sense to get companies to release games. It's... ugh I get a headache just thinking about it.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Greyfeld
Have you tried Valkyria Chronicles?
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
Perhaps people can code future versions of ultima underworld under turn based games. A multi level cave map or castle with tons of different types of magical monsters. With upgradable magical weapons , armor, ability stats and cool conversation scenes. Was once a famed game 10 years back!
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles is a game that's critically well received and a lot of people like it and I'm glad that they enjoy playing it.

However it's just not my kind of game. Hell you were talking about turn based games in your post, but VC isn't even that :P . It's a strategy rpg/third person shooter hybrid of sorts. Not to sound picky or anything hehe.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Greyfeld

Valkyria Chronicles is a game that's critically well received and a lot of people like it and I'm glad that they enjoy playing it.

However it's just not my kind of game. Hell you were talking about turn based games in your post, but VC isn't even that :P . It's a strategy rpg/third person shooter hybrid of sorts. Not to sound picky or anything hehe.

thattotally

I only mentioned it, because you were complaining about the lack of RPGs on the PS3, and I figured I'd bring it up. Anyway, it's more a turn-based strategy RPG with real-time elements, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the original point of the thread lol

MrBlobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 MrBlobz
Member since 2011 • 299 Posts
This is why I can't wait for the FFX HD re-release
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Greyfeld

This is why I can't wait for the FFX HD re-releaseMrBlobz

It'll be interesting, but re-releases don't keep an entire genre or playstyle afloat. We need new IPs or franchise installments to maintain that integrity.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Greyfeld
I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.Oilers99
The thing that bothers me is, if Square Enix wanted to explore action RPGs with a new IP, I'd be like "hell yeah, go for it, let's see how it turns out." But no, they want to take the bankability of their Final Fantasy franchise and exploit it to make sure that any garbage they turn out makes money. It's the exact same thing they're doing with Dragon Quest.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"]I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.Greyfeld
The thing that bothers me is, if Square Enix wanted to explore action RPGs with a new IP, I'd be like "hell yeah, go for it, let's see how it turns out." But no, they want to take the bankability of their Final Fantasy franchise and exploit it to make sure that any garbage they turn out makes money. It's the exact same thing they're doing with Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest is the last series I would worry about changing. But Final Fantasy games have always been about change; they are not supposed to be anything but JRPGs... Beyond that they have always exercised complete freedom.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"][QUOTE="Oilers99"]I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.Oilers99

Dragon Quest is the last series I would worry about changing. But Final Fantasy games have always been about change; they are not supposed to be anything but JRPGs... Beyond that they have always exercised complete freedom.

I suppose that's true, but Final Fantasy XIII didn't necessarily have a lot of freedom, especially in its linearity. Of course, every JRPG or WRPG is linear from point A to point B in terms of story, but FFXIII didn't offer much in the way of extra distractions or sidequests. You just keep on going through...

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Oilers99

[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"] The thing that bothers me is, if Square Enix wanted to explore action RPGs with a new IP, I'd be like "hell yeah, go for it, let's see how it turns out." But no, they want to take the bankability of their Final Fantasy franchise and exploit it to make sure that any garbage they turn out makes money. It's the exact same thing they're doing with Dragon Quest.Metamania

I suppose that's true, but Final Fantasy XIII didn't necessarily have a lot of freedom, especially in its linearity. Of course, every JRPG or WRPG is linear from point A to point B in terms of story, but FFXIII didn't offer much in the way of extra distractions or sidequests. You just keep on going through...

I mean freedom for the designers, rather than the players. Final Fantasy has been a series marked by change, more than anything.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"][QUOTE="Oilers99"]I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.Oilers99

Maybe, but they've always maintained a turn-based or ATB battle system. I'd argue that the series has always been at its best when it's been turn-based (FFX being my favorite installment, with FF9 and FF6 bringing up a close second and third place), but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, even when the FF series has tried to do things differently, it's always held onto certain structures. ATB, party-based combat, character customization, etc etc. If they take the combat in the direction of action-based combat, half of what makes a game truly Final Fantasy will be completely gone.

As it is, I'm already unhappy with the fantastic job they did of completely taking combat out of the hands of the player in the last two installments.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oilers99

[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"] The thing that bothers me is, if Square Enix wanted to explore action RPGs with a new IP, I'd be like "hell yeah, go for it, let's see how it turns out." But no, they want to take the bankability of their Final Fantasy franchise and exploit it to make sure that any garbage they turn out makes money. It's the exact same thing they're doing with Dragon Quest.Greyfeld

Maybe, but they've always maintained a turn-based or ATB battle system. I'd argue that the series has always been at its best when it's been turn-based (FFX being my favorite installment, with FF9 and FF6 bringing up a close second and third place), but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, even when the FF series has tried to do things differently, it's always held onto certain structures. ATB, party-based combat, character customization, etc etc. If they take the combat in the direction of action-based combat, half of what makes a game truly Final Fantasy will be completely gone.

As it is, I'm already unhappy with the fantastic job they did of completely taking combat out of the hands of the player in the last two installments.

Other than ATB, which is not a series staple anyway, most of the things you described are JRPG standard design.nAnd I don't think they took away control in the past two. They just let you control the combat on more of a macro level... If you wished.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

[QUOTE="Oilers99"] Dragon Quest is the last series I would worry about changing. But Final Fantasy games have always been about change; they are not supposed to be anything but JRPGs... Beyond that they have always exercised complete freedom.Oilers99

Other than ATB, which is not a series staple anyway, most of the things you described are JRPG standard design.nAnd I don't think they took away control in the past two. They just let you control the combat on more of a macro level... If you wished.

I'm not going to argue about FF12, for various reasons, but they definitely took control away in FF13. Two of the characters in your party are completely automated, there are almost no situations in which mashing "auto" doesn't kill everything, you can only choose your own team during the last 1/3 of the game or so, and if the center character dies you get a game-over. The combat LOOKED impressive, but it's laughable to believe that the game didn't take control away from the player.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I notice you have a PSP and a DS. Yet you're still wanting for turn-based rpgs?

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Greyfeld

NEStorianPriest

I would like to see them on consoles, instead of just handhelds. Turn-based and bad graphics don't have to go hand-in-hand.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

[QUOTE="NEStorianPriest"]

Greyfeld

I would like to see them on consoles, instead of just handhelds. Turn-based and bad graphics don't have to go hand-in-hand.

For someone who still goes back to the PS1 rpgs I played in the 90s, I don't have a problem with the graphics. Probably because I'm primarily interested in story, scenario and combat/spell system mechanics.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I gotta agree which is the very reason why I bought a PSP this year. I have no problem whatsoever with graphics as I really don't consider it bad at all. What games on PSP do you consider 'bad'?

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts
turn-based...Record of Agarest War Zero and Hyperdimension Neptunia are out
Roweanos313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Roweanos313
Member since 2009 • 593 Posts

I don't know if it's this generation of consoles, or this generation of gamers, but one or the other is about to ring the death knell on turn-based RPGs, and I couldn't be more disappointed.

It seems like even self-proclaimed RPG lovers are pushing for more action-oriented gameplay, and it sickens me. Supposedly, turn-based combat is "out of date," or "doesn't work with current levels of graphics," and I find these ideas completely mind-boggling.

Turn-based combat is supposed to be slower, but with a deeply strategic edge that you can't find in twitch gameplay. That's not to say that a lot of companies haven't just glossed over the whole "deeply strategic" part, and made combat as easy as mashing the X button, but its strength lays in its potential, not the lazy, over-simplified schlock some developers are willing to put out.

*Sighs* I don't know... I just feel like I'm an ever-dwindling minority, and it makes me feel like I'm going to lose that niche in gaming that I've carefully carved out for myself.

For the record, this rant was instigated by this article: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/final-fantasy-xv-could-be-action-rpg

Greyfeld

the only turn based strategy i like is pokemon and FF 1+2. i just hate turn based RPGs because it isnt fun to me when i am exploring and i'm like this is so awes- *random encounter!* god d***nit!" it just kills the exploration factor for me when i am stopped frequently to battle then continue, when in games like zelda and elder scrolls, i can fight and win(hopefully) and continue with no pause or anything

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#23 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Maybe if RPG developers or franchises -especially that of Final Fantasy- were more careful with their turn based design and balance, it would still be going strong. Still, I find that the best turn based RPGs systems had some action elements involved with games like Valkyrie Profile 2 and Tales of the Abyss. I have heard good things from the combat system of Resonace of Fate as well. As for turn based systems in general, it's not like they are inexistent elsewhere: There is the new might and magic game, Dragon Quest is as balanced as ever, Shogun 2: Total war has a metascore of 90, Frozen Synapse brought something new to the table and Valkyria Chronicles really makes use of turns with its management/efficiency layer build above it.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

Greyfeld

I'm not going to argue about FF12, for various reasons, but they definitely took control away in FF13. Two of the characters in your party are completely automated, there are almost no situations in which mashing "auto" doesn't kill everything, you can only choose your own team during the last 1/3 of the game or so, and if the center character dies you get a game-over. The combat LOOKED impressive, but it's laughable to believe that the game didn't take control away from the player.

It didn't. You sound like a guy who is complaining that something is dead just because it has gone in a direction you don't like. Speaking as a guy who spending most of his time nowadays playing the excellent Disgaea 4 (I've already put in north of 150 hours) checked into this thread to disagree with your notion that turn based games are dead. They aren't as popular as they once were, but there are still great games out there for those who want to play them.

Its also nice that lots of older games are popping up via download (it possible but highly unlikely that during the height of turn based game's popularity, anyone had the time to play all the good ones).

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Handhelds still have turn-based rpgs. The consoles have more action going on in part because they can handle it. The other reason may just be that they wanted to show off the power a bit. Doubt that, though.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.Oilers99
I don't think it's fair to say that real-time RPGs are necessarily better than turn-based RPGs. While real-time RPGs are more fluid, turn-based tend to put a much greater emphasis on strategy; you're expected to take awhile to mull over your choices each turn. It's analogous to strategy games. RTS games are all about quick-thinking and action, whereas TBS games play like glorified versions of chess. The two types of games appeal to different types of people. Personally I prefer turn-based JRPGs. JRPGs are pretty terrible at real-time combat and, at best, play like single-player MMOs. If I'm itching to play a fast-paced, action-oriented RPG I'm going to go with a WRPG since those are eons ahead of JRPGs when it comes to that sort of gameplay. However, WRPGs don't really do turn-based combat very much and when they do its still typically not as good as the way JRPGs do them, so if I want a turn-based RPG I'll go with a JRPG.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I'd say it's this generation of gamers that causing the turn-based RPG to die. These kids who play nothing but Call of Duty and Halo are too simple minded to enjoy a strategic RPG. They have short attention spans and hate having to wait their turn.

Persona 3 + 4, Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII are some of the best games of all time, and all of them are turn-based RPGs. I love those games, and my friend asked me why I like those kind of games. He tells me they're boring and he'd rather play Call of Duty because it's "realistic."

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oilers99

[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="Greyfeld"]

Greyfeld

That's because I don't equate removing micromanaging with removing control. What they did, really, was let you control a lot of actions in a short period of time. The micromanaging was open, because the sheer number of actions you could take with one character is stunning. You can micromanage player actions, and micromanage your party, but it removes the ability to micromanage your party members. It was an unconventional method of offering control, but I wouldn't get hung up on not controlling other characters directly. Much like Persona 3, you are given so many methods of control, that not directly hitting attack does not matter.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"]I think it's natural for videogames to generally go in that direction. Table top games are very good at letting players take turns, because... You play it with friends, sit in a circle and and interact. But videogames are intrinsically dynamic. Doing something in real time is something that simply other forms of gaming cannot do as well. Turn based gaming can be explored through traditional means, but real-time events that integrate physics, dynamic, non- player controlled conditions and rapid changes? Those are unique to videogames. There will always be enthusiasts for tradition, so you might have to look a little harder (as a fan of graphic adventure games, I can attest), but it will still be out there. Just not as prominently.gameguy6700
I don't think it's fair to say that real-time RPGs are necessarily better than turn-based RPGs. While real-time RPGs are more fluid, turn-based tend to put a much greater emphasis on strategy; you're expected to take awhile to mull over your choices each turn. It's analogous to strategy games. RTS games are all about quick-thinking and action, whereas TBS games play like glorified versions of chess. The two types of games appeal to different types of people. Personally I prefer turn-based JRPGs. JRPGs are pretty terrible at real-time combat and, at best, play like single-player MMOs. If I'm itching to play a fast-paced, action-oriented RPG I'm going to go with a WRPG since those are eons ahead of JRPGs when it comes to that sort of gameplay. However, WRPGs don't really do turn-based combat very much and when they do its still typically not as good as the way JRPGs do them, so if I want a turn-based RPG I'll go with a JRPG.

Real-time is not better; it is simply a more natural use of electronic games as a medium.
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Good. Turn based combat is ****ing archaic.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#31 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Turn based combat was necessary for table top RPGs as everyone rolling dice at once to imitate real time would be chaotic. CPU's are able to "roll" the required dice and crunch the numbers as fast as a player can press a button. The word "strategy" seems to always get attached to TB combat but i've seriously never seen a single RPGs that requires even an ounce of as much strategy as chess. the "strategy usually amounts to nothing more than rock/paper/scissors (fire beats ice, electricity beats water...) I think real time is the natural revolution of combat in RPG's but unfortunately developers really don't put nearly as much effort in making it challenging and well balanced.
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kelayr
Member since 2005 • 61857 Posts
I'm a big RPG fan and have experienced many great turn-based JRPGs, but I go with the flow. I don't see real-time combat as being better or worse than turn-based combat, since both kinds of combat have their pros and cons. Personally, I enjoyed both Final Fantasy XII and XIII, and my enjoyment wouldn't have been any different if they had been turn-based rather than real-time.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Oilers99

Good. Turn based combat is ****ing archaic.

YoungSinatra25
Totally. Chess players are silly to the extreme. Imagine, playing a game that has been around for centuries!
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Oilers99
[QUOTE="smerlus"]Turn based combat was necessary for table top RPGs as everyone rolling dice at once to imitate real time would be chaotic. CPU's are able to "roll" the required dice and crunch the numbers as fast as a player can press a button. The word "strategy" seems to always get attached to TB combat but i've seriously never seen a single RPGs that requires even an ounce of as much strategy as chess. the "strategy usually amounts to nothing more than rock/paper/scissors (fire beats ice, electricity beats water...) I think real time is the natural revolution of combat in RPG's but unfortunately developers really don't put nearly as much effort in making it challenging and well balanced.

Tactical depth, though. Dragon Age routinely kicks my butt, and stopping to issue specific commands is the only sensible thing.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Frozen Synapse.

/Thread

VaanXPenelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 VaanXPenelo
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts

I am surprised to see that no-one has mentioned Lost Odyssey. I know it was a bit of a sleeper hit but I played it and generally quite enjoyed it. The combat had a lot of breadth and depth, which added to the strategic nature of its turn-based combat. The only thing that let it down was the slow pacing of the story and the narrative sub-stories. I also acknowledge that it did not feature on the PS3 (being an Xbox exclusive) but just thought I'd mention.

Did anyone play DQ IX? It uses the same tried and tested formula as the previous DQ games but that is one of the most charming and replayable turn-based RPGgames on the DS.

Resonance of Fate was also a decent game. I didn't get too far on it, I needed to get on with life at that point, but I enjoyed it. The only reason I haven't picked it up again is because, as everyone knows, once you stop playing a game for one day, that's when the rot sets in and it's like "Meh" every day after that.

The less said about Blue Dragon the better though.

However, having said that, you only need to look at Bioware and you wonder why they changed everything that was so great about Dragon Age: Origins and replaced it with Dragon Age 2 to realise that perhaps turn-based gaming is slowly dying out. Not that Dragon Age 2 was necessarily a bad game, just not on the same level as Dragon Age: Origins.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#37 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Ya. I miss turned based rpg's. Iv'e been wanting another breath of fire.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
This is why I can't wait for the FFX HD re-releaseMrBlobz
Thanks for pointing out 25% of why I'm buying a PS3 this year.
JRPGs are pretty terrible at real-time combat and, at best, play like single-player MMOs. gameguy6700
Thanks for pointing out why I agree with OP. I'm pretty bummed out that my turnbased RPGs are getting the boot by the industry at large, and as a result, I dont generally play RPGs anymore(at least not any RPGs that debuted on a disc).
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#39 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="smerlus"]Turn based combat was necessary for table top RPGs as everyone rolling dice at once to imitate real time would be chaotic. CPU's are able to "roll" the required dice and crunch the numbers as fast as a player can press a button. The word "strategy" seems to always get attached to TB combat but i've seriously never seen a single RPGs that requires even an ounce of as much strategy as chess. the "strategy usually amounts to nothing more than rock/paper/scissors (fire beats ice, electricity beats water...) I think real time is the natural revolution of combat in RPG's but unfortunately developers really don't put nearly as much effort in making it challenging and well balanced.Oilers99
Tactical depth, though. Dragon Age routinely kicks my butt, and stopping to issue specific commands is the only sensible thing.

There was some depth to be found in Dragon Age but not loads of it. In fact the most tactical RPG i can think of would have to be Mount and Blade and that's all in real time.