The Witcher Eurogamer review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You can check out the whole thing here. It's a 7/10, by the way. Some excerpts:

That the game world is deep and convincingly fleshed-out shouldn't really come as a surprise. Polish developer CD Projekt not only had Andrzej Sapkowski's series of fantasy novels to provide the finer details, but they had experience translating such cIassic role-players as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment for Eastern Europe. With Bioware's Aurora engine to provide the graphical muscle, the pieces are all in place for an above-average RPG-styIe experience.

The combat tries to find the middle ground between the turn-based approach of, say, Knights of the Old Republic and the mouse-mashing of Diablo II. Clicking on an enemy initiates a swing of your sword, but as the attack comes to an end your cursor lights up. Click again at this point and you'll follow up with another attack move, and so on. Chain your attacks successfully and your opponent will struggle to respond. Get the timing wrong, and you'll break the combo and leave yourself open to reprisals. The right button is your magic attacks and, like weaponry, these can be honed and improved by spending the bronze, silver or gold "talents" you gain from victorious quests and skirmishes.

The system can be tamed with practice, and it's certainly preferable to yet another "point at the monster and hammer the mouse" game, but it's not an entirely successful experiment and you may find yourself thinking it's a lot of arsing around for not much benefit.

Well-intentioned clickety combat aside, The Witcher doesn't offer much the dedicated role-player won't have already seen elsewhere, but that's not such a bad thing. CD Projekt has taken time-tested elements from across the fantasy-RPG spectrum and tied them to a solidly crafted story that includes elements of racial discord, religious fanaticism and sexual promiscuity in its adults-only mix. Admittedly, these elements are rather crudely introduced and are handled with a rather endearing "Look! Adult themes!" excitability, but there's certainly more to savour here than in most dungeon-crawlers. One for those who value story and character over technical innovation then, but definitely a game worth trying if the concept has tickled your fancy.

While I was hoping for a bit more, it still looks like a great RPG with a fantastic gameworld, great storyline, and adult themes. It seems that the combat isn't that great, but it's still better than the mind-numbingly boring Diablo-esque clickfest. I'm under the impression that the reviewer prefers RPG's like The Elder Scrolls as opposed to this, and I have a feeling that I'll enjoy The Witcher a lot more than he did. I also would've liked to hear more about the story and the choices you make.

Your thoughts?

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Hmm, I must admit I expected more. The only thing that made me a bit disappointed was the part about how there's still some obviously "good" and "bad" choices after all I've heard about gray zones though, I couldn't care less about the rest of his gripes with the game.
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
Thoughts? Best polish game so far so that makes me proud:P I was expecting a bit higher score 8-8.5 The Witcher books are one of the best in kind. The storyline just couldn't have been screwed up:P I'm picking this game during next week.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
rimnet00's impressions in the PC forum I'm tending to agree with this guy over the Eurogamer reviewer.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
For some reason I'm not surprised.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Meh. Obviously there will be those that don't like the style of the game, I'll wait for a few more reviews to get a better idea of how it's being received by critics.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hmm... my hopes have been undashed a bit. It seems as if the game may be worth playing after all.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
I thought it would get more than a 7. But it still sounds like a good/great game. I'm looking forward to what the general consensus is. I've been watching this game for over a year and plan on picking it up unless it's universally panned by critics.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
I still think it looks cool.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
Eurogamer reviews are usually very credible and honest in my eyes, sometimes than can be a little harsh but I am inclined to agree with them on most occassions.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
Well, I was expecting more, but it's still something I am looking forward to.....there arent many developers make true-to-the-core quality single player Western RPGs anymore except for Obsidian...still pretty good for a debut game from CDProjekt Red, and hopefully they'll greatly improve with future projects.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I wonder if the combat system gave it a lower score overall. But still, the explanation does sound almost frustrating to play. Maybe they should've just went along with the Diablo click-fest and let the story/characters shine? I don't know.

But 7's not a bad score. Player reviews are saying it's in the 9 area, so one review shouldn't really be a big deal.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
It still sounds as if this game is a must buy for anyone that is a follower of the series, howeverbecause I am not, I feel less inclined to buy this game given Eurogamer's impressions.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Gameinformer Review:

Concept: Polish author Andrezej Sapkowski's fantasy world is yours to explore, but you don't need to be familiar with his work to have a good time

Graphics: Environments and combat animations look excellent, but it's a pity that so many character models are recycled

Sound: You will notice music and voices coming out of your speaker, but they won't make much of an impression beyond that

Playability: Letting the player choose between two non-broken camera modes is a good idea, and the combat is fluid and fun

Entertainment: Ultimately follows the "do some quests, progress to the next area" formula, but has enough engaging content to feel fresh

Replay: Moderately High

Bottom Line: 8 (out of 10)
Second Opinion: 8.25

LINK