The Walking Dead survival horror FPS in the works

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-walking-dead-gets-first-person-shooter-6385879

The game will star TV show favorite Daryl Dixon and his brother Merl as they journey from rural Georgia to Atlanta and it will not be a "shoot em up" like L4D but rather a real survival horror with limited food and ammo and a stealth option:

"Players will be able to choose whether to confront the undead head-on or attempt to avoid detection and minimize the number of firefights. The latter approach may be beneficial, as proper rationing of food and ammunition will be a consideration for players."

Don't get too excited though: it's made by the guys who made Kinect Star Wars, though they also made Ghostbusters, which was fairly decent. Let's hope they can get their sh*t together for this one.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Have to wonder how many people will care about this after all the praise Telltale's series has gotten. Seems like they've got that license on lock-down, for the most part.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

sure land of the dead was a good game

i'll pick this up

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

When i was reading the article all i could see was" Activision & FPS", & all i could think was..... who would have guessed? Acitvision making another FPS game....... no way. Predictable.

After finishing reading the article im actually really intrigued. It sounds like much more than your typical, or generic shooter. I never thought i'd be interested in any game published under Activision but this sounds different. It may be good.

Im not looking for a shooting gallery the likes of Left For Dead but i would be up for a survival zombie shooter. Lets hope this is not another let down like Dead Island was.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
I'm typically excited for all things zombie, but I'm not overly optimistic about this project. If they can truly deliver on a solid survival horror FPS (though, more First-Person Stealther than Shooter), giving it really fluid gameplay, better-than-average graphics, and enough atmosphere to establish an eerie, unsettling world, incorporating many of the best elements of games like Left 4 Dead and Dead Island, merging them with some of the stealth mechanics from games like Deus Ex and Thief, while managing to create a wholly unique experience, I'll be ecstatic. Sadly, the game I just described is probably way too ambitious for this project and, more than anything, the game will be a shoddy, half-arsed mess that's little more than a cheap cash-in on The Walking Dead's popularity.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black_Knight_00
I'm typically excited for all things zombie, but I'm not overly optimistic about this project. If they can truly deliver on a solid survival horror FPS (though, more First-Person Stealther than Shooter), giving it really fluid gameplay, better-than-average graphics, and enough atmosphere to establish an eerie, unsettling world, incorporating many of the best elements of games like Left 4 Dead and Dead Island, merging them with some of the stealth mechanics from games like Deus Ex and Thief, while managing to create a wholly unique experience, I'll be ecstatic. Sadly, the game I just described is probably way too ambitious for this project and, more than anything, the game will be a shoddy, half-arsed mess that's little more than a cheap cash-in on The Walking Dead's popularity.thedarklinglord
Probably. But here's hoping it's not
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I love the show, so I'll probably pick this up. Darryl is a great character, and he's exclusive to the show itself, so I think a game based on him could really shine if done right. Besides, Darryl's favored weapon is the most underappreciated weapon in video games -- the crossbow.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I might pick it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

telltale seem to do a pretty decent Walking dead game and DayZ mod for Arma II is the closest and best version of survival zombie apocalypse games around

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I love the show, so I'll probably pick this up. Darryl is a great character, and he's exclusive to the show itself, so I think a game based on him could really shine if done right. Besides, Darryl's favored weapon is the most underappreciated weapon in video games -- the crossbow.

Shame-usBlackley

He's the best character on the show by a long shot.

Also a crossbow might be under appreciated but bows in general are the complete opposite, they're the biggest gaming trend right now :P

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

seanmcloughlin

Also a crossbow might be under appreciated but bows in general are the complete opposite, they're the biggest gaming trend right now :P

Something that bothers me: Daryl is a redneck and he doesn't know how to fashion a soda can suppressor? That's a major plot hole right there.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Also a crossbow might be under appreciated but bows in general are the complete opposite, they're the biggest gaming trend right now :Pseanmcloughlin

Year of the bow!

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
At first I rolled my eyes because a lame cookie cutter FPS actionfest is pretty much not at all what The Walking Dead is about but then I read about the survival aspects and stuff so I'm willing to give the game a chance. I played through the first episode of telltales game and it was fantastic (gotta get the second one soon) so that one is a reccomend to everyone.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

i was into the walking dead before these tv shows and games made it mainstream

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]At first I rolled my eyes because a lame cookie cutter FPS actionfest is pretty much not at all what The Walking Dead is about but then I read about the survival aspects and stuff so I'm willing to give the game a chance. I played through the first episode of telltales game and it was fantastic (gotta get the second one soon) so that one is a reccomend to everyone.

You're gonna love the second one, trust me
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

TheFallenDemon

Hipster%2BZombie.jpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]Also a crossbow might be under appreciated but bows in general are the complete opposite, they're the biggest gaming trend right now :Pc_rake

Year of the bow!

Precisely :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Black_Knight_00

Something that bothers me: Daryl is a redneck and he doesn't know how to fashion a soda can suppressor? That's a major plot hole right there.

Yeah it broke the continuity of the whole show :P

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

Black_Knight_00