The Next Generation of vidoegame consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Joshy485
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

what are your thoughts and predictions on how the next generation of vidoegame consoles will be like.

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MrHoboX
Member since 2004 • 1322 Posts
Everything will be chrome and sitting on 35 inch dubs.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#3 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

My actual knowledge of what the next generation will be like is this.

ATI/AMD is making the entire Xbox 720 (code name by the way, hope they don't stick with it) by themselves. Microsoft will not intervene in pretty much any way because ATI told them that the GPU chipset was too hot and would be ruined by the fact it didn't have enough cooling and the solder mixture was a disaster. They are basically upscaling the 360's current architecture so that backwards compatibility will not be an issue while retaining the 360's ease of programming. It will at earliest be released late 2011, early 2012 more likely.

Sony and Nintendo are both shopping around for companies to develop their systems. Again ATI/AMD is in talks with both of them, and there is a high chance that the development teams of the next generation Xbox and Playstation will be housed in the same building but taking the utmost precaution of not spilling secrets between each division. But the PS4 is not even in development yet. Not even theoretically on paper.

I know these to be true as my uncle who worked on the 360 for ATI years ago is now already working on the Xbox 720 and tells me about the happenings with Sony.

I do know for a fact that the PS4 will not be made out of duct tape and spackle as one of my inebriated friends so eloquently stated.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

I'm pretty certain that Sony will be utilizing CELL in the next iteration of their console. Since CELL is designed to be fully scaleable, they can get the PS4 to be uber-powerful while minimizing costs at the same time.

As for Nintendo, they'll need to come up with some kind of new apparatus if they want to stay ahead of the game. I can guarantee that if they ever tried to get into a graphics arms race again, they will lose. Didn't work for them in the N64 era nor the GC era so its a given that they won't be repeating the same mistake thrice.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

ATI/AMD is making the entire Xbox 720 (code name by the way, hope they don't stick with it) by themselves. Microsoft will not intervene in pretty much any way because ATI told them that the GPU chipset was too hot and would be ruined by the fact it didn't have enough cooling and the solder mixture was a disaster. They are basically upscaling the 360's current architecture so that backwards compatibility will not be an issue while retaining the 360's ease of programming. It will at earliest be released late 2011, early 2012 more likely.

Sony and Nintendo are both shopping around for companies to develop their systems. Again ATI/AMD is in talks with both of them, and there is a high chance that the development teams of the next generation Xbox and Playstation will be housed in the same building but taking the utmost precaution of not spilling secrets between each division. But the PS4 is not even in development yet. Not even theoretically on paper.

I know these to be true as my uncle who worked on the 360 for ATI years ago is now already working on the Xbox 720 and tells me about the happenings with Sony.

I do know for a fact that the PS4 will not be made out of duct tape and spackle as one of my inebriated friends so eloquently stated.

SemiMaster
Interesting. So the PS4 will probably release around a year after the 720? Seeing as it's not in development yet.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Floppy_Jim
Interesting. So the PS4 will probably release around a year after the 720? Seeing as it's not in development yet.

Approximately, the PS4 is in talks of development and who is contracting it (I.E. there aren't even a bunch of techies talking about stuff on paper yet), so yea, a year or so (assuming no delays or whatever the case is), the PS4 should be a year or so behind the next Xbox. I was never informed what Nintendo's intentions were whatsoever, so I can't speculate, but the PS4 and Xbox 720 should be going head to head again in terms of horsepower.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
Since development of the 720 is ahead of that of the PS4 by a good margin, I'd expect that if Sony rushed their next console out like MS did with the 360, it may be even worse than the PS2 with regard to reliability and durability. That would suck.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SemiMaster
Since development of the 720 is ahead of that of the PS4 by a good margin, I'd expect that if Sony rushed their next console out like MS did with the 360, it may be even worse than the PS2 with regard to reliability and durability. That would suck.Angry_Beaver
No, it's that the 720 is simply in development first, but ATI is not going to rush it, they learned from the 360 (which they only developed the GPU, and it was Microsoft's design team that didn't want more cooling and kept the box the same size) and will make it right. Sony won't rush theirs either, the PS2 almost cost them big too, but the PS3, while highly reliable is very pricy, more so than the 360, and would not want to have a fiasco like Microsoft this gen. And I have to reiterate, 720 is the code name, I'd hate it if they called it the 720 and then the 1080... ick.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I expect the next xbox to be out in 2010 christmas launch to try and oust Nintendo as being behind the times, and attempting to take a number one spot. Christmas 2010 leaves us with just about another solid 2 years, theres no way I see MS waiting longer than that no way in hell. The Wii 2 is already rumored to be in development as well and I expect a 2011 launch from Nintendo. and there isnt even really whisperings of a PS4 yet.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

SemiMaster

You have a cool Uncle. My Uncle has VD.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I'm pretty certain that Sony will be utilizing CELL in the next iteration of their console. Since CELL is designed to be fully scaleable, they can get the PS4 to be uber-powerful while minimizing costs at the same time.

BladesOfAthena

this makes a lot of sense. All they really have to do is include a next gen GPU, 2 gigs of RAM and hope that the manufacturing cost of the PS3 is down to $200 by 2011 and they're good to launch PS4 at $300.

Edit: it would also make it really easy for PS4 to be backwards compatible too. I really hope Sony has someone as smart as you. :)

But they probably dont.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]

S0lidSnake

this makes a lot of sense. All they really have to do is include a next gen GPU, 2 gigs of RAM and hope that the manufacturing cost of the PS3 is down to $200 by 2011 and they're good to launch PS4 at $300.

Edit: it would also make it really easy for PS4 to be backwards compatible too. I really hope Sony has someone as smart as you. :)

But they probably dont.

I am hoping for this as well. I'm enough of a dork that I will buy the PS4 whatever price day one, but it would be nice if they didn't launch so high. Sony needs to have learned this lesson above all else this gen.

Solors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solors
Member since 2008 • 574 Posts
Im thinking that it all might be in high depth. Well higher depth. :P
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GodModeEnabled
Im thinking that it all might be in high depth. Well higher depth. :PSolors
*whispers* High Def friend.... high DEF (as in definition) *fades into darkness*
Trooperdx3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Trooperdx3117
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
I expect the next xbox to be out in 2010 christmas launch to try and oust Nintendo as being behind the times, and attempting to take a number one spot. Christmas 2010 leaves us with just about another solid 2 years, theres no way I see MS waiting longer than that no way in hell. The Wii 2 is already rumored to be in development as well and I expect a 2011 launch from Nintendo. and there isnt even really whisperings of a PS4 yet.GodModeEnabled
I don't expect the Wii 2 to be in development after all Nintendo are already farming it in with the current Wii. To be honest though I don't know what Nintendo are going to do with their next console considering they've alienated the hardcore gamers while their largest userbase consists of casual gamers who probably don't care about a new Nintendo console.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SemiMaster
I expect the next xbox to be out in 2010 christmas launch to try and oust Nintendo as being behind the times, and attempting to take a number one spot. Christmas 2010 leaves us with just about another solid 2 years, theres no way I see MS waiting longer than that no way in hell. The Wii 2 is already rumored to be in development as well and I expect a 2011 launch from Nintendo. and there isnt even really whisperings of a PS4 yet.GodModeEnabled
No way the next Xbox makes 2010. No frickin' way. 2011 may be feasible for Nintendo as I doubt their next console will rival the PS3 or 360 technologically although it as well is not on the drawing board yet like the PS4 (I said earlier that Nintendo and Sony are still both shopping around for developers and manufacturers).
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I'm thrilled with this generation, so whenever MS & Sony get around to making new one's is fine by me. Take your time, get it right.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SemiMaster
I'm thrilled with this generation, so whenever MS & Sony get around to making new one's is fine by me. Take your time, get it right.btaylor2404
Exactly. And I think that's what Microsoft and Sony are doing.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]I'm thrilled with this generation, so whenever MS & Sony get around to making new one's is fine by me. Take your time, get it right.SemiMaster

I'm certainly not clamoring for new hardware, it seems like we see better games each year on these systems, and as long as that keeps up, I don't really need to rush into a new console generation.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Everything will be chrome and sitting on 35 inch dubs.MrHoboX

They will come with gaming chairs with huge 808 speakers that bump harder than a working girl in Amsterdam.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SemiMaster

[QUOTE="MrHoboX"]Everything will be chrome and sitting on 35 inch dubs.HiResDes

They will come with gaming chairs with huge 808 speakers that bump harder than a working girl in Amsterdam.

I'm just curious, aren't dubs generally rims in the 20 inch range? Like.. dub deuces for 22s? Or has that moved to a more general term for chrome rims? Maybe I'm too old school.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#22 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"]I'm thrilled with this generation, so whenever MS & Sony get around to making new one's is fine by me. Take your time, get it right.rragnaar

I'm certainly not clamoring for new hardware, it seems like we see better games each year on these systems, and as long as that keeps up, I don't really need to rush into a new console generation.

Your right on the games. They tend to get better as the systems age. Hopefully this trend will continue.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I expect the next xbox to be out in 2010 christmas launch to try and oust Nintendo as being behind the times, and attempting to take a number one spot. Christmas 2010 leaves us with just about another solid 2 years, theres no way I see MS waiting longer than that no way in hell. The Wii 2 is already rumored to be in development as well and I expect a 2011 launch from Nintendo. and there isnt even really whisperings of a PS4 yet.SemiMaster
No way the next Xbox makes 2010. No frickin' way. 2011 may be feasible for Nintendo as I doubt their next console will rival the PS3 or 360 technologically although it as well is not on the drawing board yet like the PS4 (I said earlier that Nintendo and Sony are still both shopping around for developers and manufacturers).

I think it would be incredibly smart for MS to launch in holiday 2010, and you can almost bet they are gonna try and push to be out first again. *shrugs* we'll see im not convinced that they will wait any longer.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BladesOfAthena

I don't expect the Wii 2 to be in development after all Nintendo are already farming it in with the current Wii. To be honest though I don't know what Nintendo are going to do with their next console considering they've alienated the hardcore gamers while their largest userbase consists of casual gamers who probably don't care about a new Nintendo console.Trooperdx3117

All I know is that its not going to be this super duper uber mega powerhouse like the PS3, that's for sure. I'm absolutely positive that it won't.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I expect the next xbox to be out in 2010 christmas launch to try and oust Nintendo as being behind the times, and attempting to take a number one spot. Christmas 2010 leaves us with just about another solid 2 years, theres no way I see MS waiting longer than that no way in hell. The Wii 2 is already rumored to be in development as well and I expect a 2011 launch from Nintendo. and there isnt even really whisperings of a PS4 yet.GodModeEnabled

I think it would be incredibly smart for MS to launch in holiday 2010, and you can almost bet they are gonna try and push to be out first again. *shrugs* we'll see im not convinced that they will wait any longer.

Well I can't say for certain, and my uncle is just one of the graphics card engineers at ATI, but he insists they won't launch before 2011, Microsoft learned from their lesson. But yes, clearly 2010 would make them have such a headstart on the next generation it would not be funny, but I fail to see how they can come up with a stable system and manufacture them fast enough, we are reaching the limits of lithography and clock speeds right now without massive supercooling, and we all know what the issue was with the current Xbox. I still would bank on 2011.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GodModeEnabled
Well I can't say for certain, and my uncle is just one of the graphics card engineers at ATI, but he insists they won't launch before 2011, Microsoft learned from their lesson. But yes, clearly 2010 would make them have such a headstart on the next generation it would not be funny, but I fail to see how they can come up with a stable system and manufacture them fast enough, we are reaching the limits of lithography and clock speeds right now without massive supercooling, and we all know what the issue was with the current Xbox. I still would bank on 2011.SemiMaster
Oh I would gladly wait the extra year for a system that didnt try to kill itself at random intervals, I really hope they talk the time to bring the quality assurance on this thing up to standards. Im curious just how much of a leap the next generation is going to be given that we are reaching the roof on videogame technology from what I see. Im betting they are going to become even more PC like in the next generation in regards to hardware configurations and features.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
Probably won't run $600.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BladesOfAthena

Well I can't say for certain, and my uncle is just one of the graphics card engineers at ATI, but he insists they won't launch before 2011, Microsoft learned from their lesson. But yes, clearly 2010 would make them have such a headstart on the next generation it would not be funny, but I fail to see how they can come up with a stable system and manufacture them fast enough, we are reaching the limits of lithography and clock speeds right now without massive supercooling, and we all know what the issue was with the current Xbox. I still would bank on 2011.SemiMaster

They can take the AMD/ATI route and just simply fuse the GPU and CPU together into one, allowing for better performance per wattage, which would mean lower power consumption, given that one of the initial hurdles of the X360's architecture was with regard to its heavy power consumption.

Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Joshy485
I agree they prob wont be released til atleast 2011, and cost atleast 600 bucks starting range. Id pay for it no matter the costs assuming the next gen is gonna be awesome! Whats that mind reading thing their developing for games? right now they really suck and dont really work and arent getting very good feedback but could that be a consideration?
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]Well I can't say for certain, and my uncle is just one of the graphics card engineers at ATI, but he insists they won't launch before 2011, Microsoft learned from their lesson. But yes, clearly 2010 would make them have such a headstart on the next generation it would not be funny, but I fail to see how they can come up with a stable system and manufacture them fast enough, we are reaching the limits of lithography and clock speeds right now without massive supercooling, and we all know what the issue was with the current Xbox. I still would bank on 2011.GodModeEnabled
Oh I would gladly wait the extra year for a system that didnt try to kill itself at random intervals, I really hope they talk the time to bring the quality assurance on this thing up to standards. Im curious just how much of a leap the next generation is going to be given that we are reaching the roof on videogame technology from what I see. Im betting they are going to become even more PC like in the next generation in regards to hardware configurations and features.

Microsoft's Technical Engineers and the ATI hardware guys warned the Microsoft Art Department and Assembly department that the system needs to be cooler or larger to diffuse heat. They didn't listen. What happens I'm guessing is games are rendered natively at 1080p, and if someone decides 1440p is the wave of the future, they will brag about it but fail to deliver.
Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Joshy485
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]Well I can't say for certain, and my uncle is just one of the graphics card engineers at ATI, but he insists they won't launch before 2011, Microsoft learned from their lesson. But yes, clearly 2010 would make them have such a headstart on the next generation it would not be funny, but I fail to see how they can come up with a stable system and manufacture them fast enough, we are reaching the limits of lithography and clock speeds right now without massive supercooling, and we all know what the issue was with the current Xbox. I still would bank on 2011.SemiMaster

Microsoft's Technical Engineers and the ATI hardware guys warned the Microsoft Art Department and Assembly department that the system needs to be cooler or larger to diffuse heat. They didn't listen. What happens I'm guessing is games are rendered natively at 1080p, and if someone decides 1440p is the wave of the future, they will brag about it but fail to deliver.

Definetly!
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Oh I would gladly wait the extra year for a system that didnt try to kill itself at random intervals, I really hope they talk the time to bring the quality assurance on this thing up to standards. Im curious just how much of a leap the next generation is going to be given that we are reaching the roof on videogame technology from what I see. Im betting they are going to become even more PC like in the next generation in regards to hardware configurations and features.Joshy485

Definetly!

By that I mean 1080p will be the "standard" resolution without question. 1440p will be the ultimately unachievable but "promised" resolution.