The longest goal in any video game...ever.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for xXtrooper2442Xx
xXtrooper2442Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xXtrooper2442Xx
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I was just thinking how certain games weather they be old school or recent, have huge open playable areas.

But where I'm getting this is how games like this build myths from the players.

Example:

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

--Players were deticated to search for, and still are searching, for an obtainable version of the games sacred relic...The Triforce.

People have tried and thought of many threories, some being ridiculously thought out with clues and are highly unlikely.

Another Example:

GTA: San Andreas

--Players were looking for "Bigfoot" or "Leatherface" in the woods, triggering a secret mission or whatever. Also UFO's were a thought up possibility. These, like the Zelda game mentioned above, had some crazy long ways of finding these myths....escpecially the infamous "Big Secret" that was never and probably will never be found.

My question is...

To your knowledge, what video game had a myth or goal in it that took a weirdly long and maybe indirect way of completing it or obtaining an object that was perhaps thought unobtainable?

AND WAS TRUE......WITHOUT MODS OR HACKS and put in by the game creators.

It has to be true, not a game that had a myth that turned out to be false.

I can't think of any at the moment. Post your responses.

Chavyneebslod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chavyneebslod
Member since 2005 • 958 Posts
The 50 legendary items for the museum of artifacts in the elder scrolls tribunal expansion. All of the items on the list can be found but it is rediculiously hard to find them all.
JerseyJ2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JerseyJ2007
Member since 2007 • 303 Posts

- The kerotans from MGS3. Kinda hard to find 64 green, 2-inch tall, toys in a big forest.

- Ghosts from MGS: TTS that you have to take pictures of in order to see.

hempforvictory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hempforvictory
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts
I spent a long time trying to unfreeze the Zoras domain in OOT. I don't remember why I was so sure it could be done. A real goal that was annoyingly long was finding the ultimate weapons in FFX. I think doing that turned me and voice acting turned me off so much that I won't return to the series barring a spectacular new game.
romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

In World of Warcraft, Baron Rivendare drops the itemDeathcharger's Reins

Good luck getting it. Drop chance of 0.01%

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Killing Penance in FFX.

It was a long bossfight and a longer quest to prepare party members and make their ultimate weapons and armors. It took me three months to maximize their attributes and make the best weapons. I was playing it on hard so the sohere node was locked with lvl.4 seal xD that sure had doubled the pain!

Chaos1031

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chaos1031
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts

Phantasy Star Online had the Sealed J-sword and the Tsumikiri J-Sword (it's unsealed form). Than there is the Parasite Gene and Red Ring, but last I heard about them they were still Hack/Mod items.

On the GC/Xbox versions you could only get SJS from a GiGue if you were a Skyly ID, but if you had the Plus version there was a mission where a run had at least 3 GiGue's. The things drop rate was 1/12604, which was actually better than what the DC's drop rate was for multiple ID's and a more frequent enemy which was 1/89622. You could only find it by being on the highest difficulty as well.

It was unknown on how to unseal it since all the description said was "Ancient sword with its power sealed by an unknown stamp. The seal opens when all techniques are used". Which many thought you had to use or have all the Magic techs at there highest level. Eventually it was found you have to kill 23,000 creatures with SJS itself to unseal it on the GC/Xbox, since the TJS was banned on the DC I don't think the SJS could be unsealed.

The drop rates I got from Pso-world, so there a rough estimate (I believe).

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Anyone who's played FFXI trying to get a job to 75 will know what a long goal really means.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

romainsimoni

That's a good one, there can't be more than 100 people in the world that have it

From the same game, there are two that I thought of.

-One is the quest line that opens the Ahn'Qiraj raid instances for a given server. The steps are located here but I'm not sure that page does it justice. Step 3 alone took our server two weeks to finish. And the quest line can't be completed until your server turns in millions of various items. Some of the more hardcore servers got it done in a decent amount of time, but between guilds breaking up and guilds having to get through the earlier raid content just to get to the places you need to get to, it took our server about seven months to finish this process.

-The other is the quest for the sword "Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker." Completing the quest was largely dependent on whether or not you had two extremely rare drops from two different raid bosses. If you're fortunate enough to have those drops, you could probably gather the rest of the required materials somewhat quickly, albeit expensively (I saw it done in about 10-14 days). The problem was getting the drops. They dropped one at a time, and each had a miniscule drop rate. It was not uncommon at all for a poor soul (such as myself hehe) to have one of the drops but be forced to run the same boring raid instance for months if not over a year just to get the other, if it ever dropped at all. I'm betting that the majority of people who had this quest never finished it.

xXtrooper2442Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xXtrooper2442Xx
Pretty good Any others?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Making it to the end of the Main Quest in TESIV: Oblivion. It is just so uninteresting and monotonous you just keep putting it off forever.
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts

i remember when people were convinced there was a 17th colossi and would try to climb up mountains and such... or even trying to reach Mono in the final sequence to unlock an alternative ending, some people would spend about 10 mind trying to fight the pool of doom.

In We love Katamari they have a task to collect 1 million roses ... for the hxc only!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts
In Banjo Kazooie there was a place in Freez Ezy Peak (or whatever) that showed you the Ice key but it was unobtainable until the sequel a few years later. So the player made a goal to obtain the key and was unable to until the sequel a few long years later. Dont know if that counts but hey i dont have any ideas.
S-M-C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 S-M-C
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I just want to say that Bigfoot in San Andreas is not real. The only reason that Rockstar said that there was a big secret was because they knew that people would spend time looking for it, when it doesn't exist.

Topic wise, however, I would have to say in FIFA 08. It tells me that my goal is to finish in the top half, which takes a full season.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
The "Kill Strelok" goal in STALKER.
xXtrooper2442Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xXtrooper2442Xx

In Banjo Kazooie there was a place in Freez Ezy Peak (or whatever) that showed you the Ice key but it was unobtainable until the sequel a few years later. So the player made a goal to obtain the key and was unable to until the sequel a few long years later. Dont know if that counts but hey i dont have any ideas.MLBknights58

Hmmm.....dont quite remember that.

tb254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tb254
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

The "Kill Strelok" goal in STALKER. PBSnipes

lol

5UPERMARIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#18 5UPERMARIO
Member since 2006 • 1204 Posts
Yiazamat in FF12 takes many many many hours of levelling up
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]In Banjo Kazooie there was a place in Freez Ezy Peak (or whatever) that showed you the Ice key but it was unobtainable until the sequel a few years later. So the player made a goal to obtain the key and was unable to until the sequel a few long years later. Dont know if that counts but hey i dont have any ideas.xXtrooper2442Xx

i do and it bugged me to no end

oh and i spent a lot of time looking for that **** triforce also i remember one theory where you had to blow up all the seeing eye stones in Hyrule to get it

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
Any MMO game would fit the bill. There'a almost always some group quests/raids that require the people to play for a good 10hrs straight in order to get the final reward. If you have to leave early after you're almost finished, too bad...start over from the beginning. Everquest used to be well known for these types of quests..... Everquest 2 had quite a few of them too.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
How about finally seeing that Final Fantasy?
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
How about finally seeing that Final Fantasy?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

i remember when people were convinced there was a 17th colossi and would try to climb up mountains and such... or even trying to reach Mono in the final sequence to unlock an alternative ending, some people would spend about 10 mind trying to fight the pool of doom.

In We love Katamari they have a task to collect 1 million roses ... for the hxc only!

HellsAngel2c

I love all the SoTC ones, getting to the Secret Garden, it's completely possible but you have to complete the game like 4 times to get enough energy, so that takes like 30 hours, then you actually have to find the right path up there and in the end all it is is some bushes and squirrels.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="HellsAngel2c"]

bobbetybob

I love all the SoTC ones, getting to the Secret Garden, it's completely possible but you have to complete the game like 4 times to get enough energy, so that takes like 30 hours, then you actually have to find the right path up there and in the end all it is is some bushes and squirrels.

I'm still stuck on the third colossi on HTA :( he's giving me a hard time. I wish there was a 17th colossi it would be more rewarding...

[spoiler] a statue of mono is so not worth completeing the game four times :( [/spoiler]

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

How about finally seeing that Final Fantasy?nosferatu

Yeah, or how about getting Lara finally naked? "So tell me what you want, what you really, really want"

p3Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 p3Xx
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts

- The kerotans from MGS3. Kinda hard to find 64 green, 2-inch tall, toys in a big forest.

JerseyJ2007

I Found them, it was redicoulusly hard to find them, you get stealth though, so totaly worth it

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="JerseyJ2007"]

p3Xx

I Found them, it was redicoulusly hard to find them, you get stealth though, so totaly worth it

I gave up during the chase sequence... although I could spot them but it takes me a while to aim and shoot and Eva aalways starts the engine quick...

p3Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 p3Xx
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
[QUOTE="p3Xx"][QUOTE="JerseyJ2007"]

gamingqueen

I gave up during the chase sequence... although I could spot them but it takes me a while to aim and shoot and Eva aalways starts the engine quick...

the clue is to save, retry, save retry, save retry, and use "Cold War Camo" :D (beat Volgin with MK22 ;) The russians wouldnt shoot you when you face them

Toshan1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toshan1337
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts

Making it to the end of the Main Quest in TESIV: Oblivion. It is just so uninteresting and monotonous you just keep putting it off forever.foxhound_fox

So damn true. Those different plains of oblivion are so boring that i haven't completed the main quest yet even though i've had the game for about 2 years.

xXtrooper2442Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xXtrooper2442Xx
[QUOTE="p3Xx"][QUOTE="JerseyJ2007"]

gamingqueen

I found all them but I used a GameFAQ :(

-Xcalibur-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Xcalibur-
Member since 2003 • 1488 Posts

romainsimoni

Sigh, I did SO many runs of strat just for those. Those were the days...

scarlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scarlex
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
Getting 100 points on every level in Yoshi's Island, finding ALL the silver medals in Sonic next-gen
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]In Banjo Kazooie there was a place in Freez Ezy Peak (or whatever) that showed you the Ice key but it was unobtainable until the sequel a few years later. So the player made a goal to obtain the key and was unable to until the sequel a few long years later. Dont know if that counts but hey i dont have any ideas.xXtrooper2442Xx

In Freeze Easy Peak (or whatever) go to the walrus's cave and jump up on the ledge behind the walrus or somewhere around there. You will see a gigantic key floating in the next room (The Ice Key) but you cant get it. No matter what. In BK2, it was a secret that could be found in Hailfire Peaks. And it unlocked that huge safe thing that hid the mega-glowbo. That a refresher?