The Gamecube is grossly underrated!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

For me it was a very close second to the PS2 last gen.

Yes, compared to the PS2 and the Xbox it didn't get as much third party love, but all of the exclusives were pure gold, from Tales of Symphonia, to Metroid Prime, to both the LoZ games and Paper Mario 2.

dnradtke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dnradtke
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I completely agree! People really hate on the gamecube, but I find it to be second best behind the ps2. The game selection was great as well.(just not as good as the ps2). Also a very durable system!
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

I agree, and you didn't even mention the RE games, F-Zero, Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness...

Of my favorite games from last generation, most are Gamecube exclusives (or atleast started that way...)

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and even say that had Super Mario Sunshine been released on a different console, with a different character and by a different company, but keeping everything else intact, it would have scored much higher, simply because expectations for Nintendo games, and GC games in general, were pretty high.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
I agree, it was vastly underrated. It had great 1st party exclusives (Zelda, MP) some superior multiplats (SC2, RE4), Breathtaking remakes (MGSTS, RE) and to top it off some unique gems (RE0, Vewitiful Joe, K7). Plus the controller was comfortable, and its was pretty cheap. Now they're $30 used. If anybody doesn't own a GC, nows the perfect time to buy. They're dirt cheap, and game stores are about to get rid of them
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I agree aswell.The Gamecube was an Amazing game console.I loved it,and always will love it.As said by unknow the controller was very comfortable.The games,Oh man the games.Super mario sunshine,Star fox adventure,Zelda TP,Zelda windwaker,Resident evil collection.Everything about the gamecube is just awesome.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Same here, and because of it, it became one of my favorite generations in gaming. I had over 20 games for it.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 K1LLR3175

Same here, and because of it, it became one of my favorite generations in gaming. I had over 20 games for it.

mitu123
MITU! What are you doing here lol?You starting to follow this ol wolf.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I think it's a great console but not better than what Microsoft and Sony were offering at the time. It had a lack of many third party games and even when it did get them the Xbox version was always the best.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

I just came on by and saw an interesting topic, that's pretty much it.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 K1LLR3175
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123

I just came on by and saw an interesting topic, that's pretty much it.

YAY.Awesome.Gamecube rules.Hehe.
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
I liked the Gamecube. The best things to happen on that system was the start of the Metriod Prime games, the Pikmin Games, Smash Bros. and of coarse Resident Evil 4. I also liked the Windwaker, to a lesser extent. And Super Mario Sunshine was a pretty great game but it doesn't even compaire to SM64 and Galaxy.
King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
For the most part, GCN was a lot better than the original Xbox imo, the xbox is a little overrated, sure the xbox was more powerful and had Halo but it lacked a lot of fun games that made GCN better, but there will always be people who says the Xbox is better than the GCN. Playstation 2 clearly beats the Cube however...
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

My favorite was the Xbox for the first half of last gen. before my older brother went off to join the Navy, and then it became the Gamecube when I met some new friends and they all loved Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I owned a PS2 and didn't know what all the fuss was about. Not sure exactly why people preferred the PS2 so much more than the Gamecube and Xbox.

im_mr_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 im_mr_brown
Member since 2006 • 2970 Posts
i love my gamecube! i'm still collecting games for it. the first party games are unmatched!
In_Vino_Verita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 In_Vino_Verita
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts

Yea gamecube rocks no doubt about it I have the platinum edition one it is way awesome!

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#17 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well itwas only a few thousand units behind the xbox which i had to replace countless times lol ,

but ya i agree just the same way with the n64,

how did sony even get started lol with that outdated 2d ugh,

i guess some one definatelly never played goldeneye007-hundred millions lol,

boy did they miss out on somthing epic

much more epic then many fpses since

ya i also didnt see notihng with ps2 ,

its graphics same ol controller what the heck , even now, with the ps3 its the same controller with no wires lol

when will they ever change that boring controller, it reminded me so much of a n64 controller i used to own, that was a thrid party one and it broke with in a second lol

out of the box no offense but let me say this, ever since n64 , ive been accustomed to four controller ports out of the box, ps1 was fine, with 2 , i understand that was sonys first console but then ,,

ps2 came, my mom bought one, she opened it up , im like wheres the four controller sockets lol,

man that really blew when i bough timesplitters 1 for it and it was 4 players, to bad i needed some adapter to play it,

i guess thats about one good thing about ps3,

since i got not many good ps3 games and there isnt many of them to begin with i now can enjoy those 4 player games lol ,

so ya really, i dont know, xbox and gc had more realistic graphics, wii has double that,

and new controls,

theres a difference, plus nintendo has always delivered, great consoles at great prices,

i dont mind sony and i deffinatelly dont mind having the 360l, \

but did they really have to charge me an arm and a leg to play timesplitters2! in fourplayer mode poor sony, spiralling down, i guess that is what you call luck , sony will not stop until the fat lady sung and guess what she sung thats when sony did what they were supposed to do or should have done! on ps2

when it was all but too late!

the number of games i own for all 5 nintendo home consoles speak for them selfs here they are thats each not all in one

nes-34

snes-125-reached that today

n64-100

gc-95

wii-85(45 disc based 40 vc/wii ware)

then on their handheld front i do have less per unit but the most of the 3 handheld i own

gba-48

ds-24

gbc-9

gb-1

then compare that

to

xbox-86

xbox360-81 (all disc based /xbla games combibed)

sony the only good high number

ps1-123

ps2-about 70

ps3-17

psp-14

then the ones ive recently bought from sega

genesis-50+
cd-2

saturn-4

dc-15

gamegear-7

atari 2600-4

pc -18

total-915

and you know what is funny, even with nes snes sitting in their coffin , (not being sold in stores) new

i still collect for each of my consoles not just this gen consoles, in fact add unreal championship 2 to that number of xbox games i just got that one today

so 87 is the number i own it could be more i wish gamespot would put that number thing ,where it told you the actual number of games you own for each console its harder for me to count lol

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
I thought the Gamecube was great, it had so many games that were different from the PS2 and Xbox it was worth picking up. I have 64 games for it and still collecting.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
I loved GameCube too, I bet if I made a top 20 of my fave games from last gen probably half of them would be from GameCube. I loved the GameCube controller too.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#20 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I thought that the GameCube was so much better than the Xbox. My PS2 still got more attention than my GC but I still loved it.
allie2590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 allie2590
Member since 2009 • 283 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and even say that had Super Mario Sunshine been released on a different console, with a different character and by a different company, but keeping everything else intact, it would have scored much higher, simply because expectations for Nintendo games, and GC games in general, were pretty high.

Assassin_87

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
GC had Wind Waker, and Resident Evil 4. Two of the few perfect score worthy games out there IMO. I'd buy it just for those two, but still there's much more >_>.
no-filter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 no-filter
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Amen to that! Gamecube also has some great graphics, RE4 on Gamecube is the best version (graphicswise).
Ghosty1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Ghosty1212
Member since 2006 • 398 Posts

If the Sega Dreamcast lived longer, it certainly would've been the better console. I prefer the PS2 though, for the online play, variety of games, and how it wasn't from the company that made 'Virtual Boy'. (I had it-- made me hate Nintendo after it.)

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Assassin_87
I wholeheartedly agree. I thought it was amazing.
weenus-shotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 weenus-shotz
Member since 2009 • 110 Posts

UMMM... gamecube is not underrated...

It is just a bad system aND IT IS RAted just how it should be

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
[QUOTE="weenus-shotz"]

Ohoho! You are so correct. How could I have been so wrong? :lol:
fennec_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fennec_fox
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

*Proudly looks at his GameCube Afficionado badge* Yup! GameCube Forever! Seriously though - great colsole from technical standpoint, some of the best exclusives... What killed it was 1) Lack of network play support by 1st party (the only truly "online" game for GC was published by SEGA), and by extension by 3rd party devs, and 2) alienation of 3rd party devs by Nintendo.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#29 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
[QUOTE="weenus-shotz"]

And what are the reasons you think it's a bad system? It was durable, had great games, good graphics for the time...what's wrong? lol
blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#30 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
I played the gamecube once and loved it! I was playing some anime based game and it was a blast! I also played mario, and I must say gamecube is a different kind of fun.
TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts

I love my GC. It had some amazing games on it and also one of the finest controllers in gaming. So comfy!

fennec_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fennec_fox
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
BTW, forgot to mention - I have 61 GC title in my collection, and still have to hunt down a couple of gems that I missed :)
KieranCottrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KieranCottrell
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts
GC had Wind Waker, and Resident Evil 4. Two of the few perfect score worthy games out there IMO.OICWUTUDIDTHAR
Took the words out of my mouth. (But don't forget Metroid Prime)
SegaGenesisfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SegaGenesisfan
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

If mario would not of been about water, and luigis mansion would of not existed, I think the gamecube would of done a lot better. The problem is adult gamers were getting into gaming, influencing the games younger people played, trust me I have seen it. The thing is back in the nes, snes, it was not really kiddy, its just how games were generally, but when the graphics got better, then nintendo games started to have a really kiddy style to them that was very apparent. That is what drew people away, especially that stupid warioware, so depressing I tell ya, the fact that people enjoy it.

Then again eternal darkness says otherwise, but people are not going to buy a system based just on one game, not generally anyways, as I bought a gamecube just for metroid prime8). And dont start talking about how the wii is kiddy and people are buyying it, I dont think people are really buying that thing for its library, because then they would not buy.

Samox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Samox
Member since 2004 • 890 Posts

Gamecube... Yuck..