The Essence of Gaming..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mikethechimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mikethechimp
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts

As the 21th century opened, game design choices were ambitious. Nobody knew at which direction gaming would head next. A lot of very inspired games came along, with very stylish controls and design choices. But stylish so that they could earn more money, or grab stock-holder attention, they were stylish simply for gaming excellence, and that was all that mattered. Then EA showed up, and Microsoft, and they took gaming a step backwards.. Gamers split into two camps - "hardcores" who steriotypically play shooters and fast-paced action games on their Xbox's and PS3's, and "casuals", who play downbeat games on their Wii's. All gaming companies have in mind these days is to satisfy those two groups, get them to buy their stuff. They don't care about excellence.

When was the last time a pure, fully-lived-up-to-its-potential piece came out since 2002? Since Metroid Prime 1, to be specific? Never.

Even a game like Zelda could be ten times what it is. Skate 2 could drop the "sports game" title in favor of "skateboarding simulation". All those war-related games like Battlefield and Killzone 2 could be good on a whole different level if a storyline writer said so. But he didn't care about excellence, he only cared about getting paid.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

EA's been around a lot longer than the past nine years. Before they became the company they are now, an EA game sometimes meant quality -the Strike series for example while there are still those who swear by the Road Rash games. Not always, but at times you would come across a great EA game. Microsoft joined in in order to get a piece of the action.

These days it's all about big profits, short games, great graphics, games that are usually the same thing as one another in order to appeal to the younger generations who tend to have very short attention spans and instant action over patience.
Gaming is about having fun, great gameplay and knowing that when you replay the game, you'll always have fun, is what matters and that's something that tends to be disappearing. Profits first, quality last tends to be the by word these days.

R/T

Mikethechimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mikethechimp
"Having fun" is a quality that belongs to the old generation of gaming. The new one should be about atmosphere.. music.. realism.. mesmerization.. It should be about games that you'll be thinking about long after you sold them. Just my opinion, anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmJTk3WZ-GM
DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

I think the problem is that -by the end of the 5th generation- gaming sharply diverted away from an art form into a mass media, revenue generating wide-appeal industry. That actually hurts the quality of the products, & that's way more significant when knowing that the capacities of modern videogame hardware & physical media would allow for really fantastic creations (if they were aimed at being at least as great as the gaming past).

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

There's a lot of doom and gloom on this forum today, with people pining for some lost golden age of gaming. Naturally, different people have widely varying ideas on what exactly constituted this Lost Age of Gaming, but they can all agree that games today suck. You know, there have got to be plenty of old games from "back in the day" (whatever that means to you) that you never got around to playing. Why don't you look them up?

Gamers split into two camps - "hardcores" who stetiotypcly play shooter and fast-paced games on their Xbox's and PS3's, and "casuals", who play downbeat games on they Wii's. All gaming companies have in mind these days is to satisfy those two groups, get them to buy their stuff.

Mikethechimp

With titles like Europa Universalis. (Sarcasm)

They don't care about excellence.

Mikethechimp

I think a number of people involved in the gaming industry would disagree with that.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Microsoft took gaming backwards? I stopped reading there. They have the only solid console on the market right now.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gunswordfist
I love how Microsoft came into the industry and achieved the gaming excellence that it did.
Avatar image for GG-raaaaiiiiiii
GG-raaaaiiiiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 GG-raaaaiiiiiii
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts
I think the real issue is that it takes so long to develop "complete" games now that companies may stop developing and release games early. Look at how long Spore was in production. It seemed like one of the games in recent memory with the greatest potential, yet it turned out far below expectations. I think the future of games will probably be more along the lines of the Sam & Max games now. Rather than release massive games for $60 or so dollars, games will probably be broken down into the current DLC sizes, and released as series.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
I agree last proper quality was Oblivion for me but even that wasn't as good as its prequel so yeh games are getting worse and Metroid Prime was probably the last piece of sheer quality. YES ZELDA COULD BE TEN TIME IT IS NOW, YES TP WAS A LITTLE DISAPOINTING...sorry but that had to be stressed. I don't know why people hold sports games as anything, you only buy them if you like the sport now days...they are pretty much pointless. Microsoft did some good things to gaming but they have also done some terrible things, and I wish they would stop trying to make games into films its annoying the two shouldn't ever link, I wish Microsoft would stop trying to do crap and just make games. Seriously devs don't make games like used to, PC games are a little different like Blizzard even though they have held back their games for like 7yrs I think they do it to make the best possible game. I have to agree devs don't know what exellence is anymore...give me a team, give me a budget and I will show you true exellence in a game! no company tries anything new, half of them copy each other, a lot focus only on graphs and physics which are not what make a truly great game...options are available but devs never seem to take them...honestly if you were to strip the graphs and physics of todays games they would be worthless. I really wish they hadn't diversed Hardcore and casual ever since games been going downhill fast, with the occasional uplift.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

When was the last time a pure, fully-lived-up-to-its-potential piece came out since 2002? Since Metroid Prime 1, to be specific? Never.

Mikethechimp

That's right because games like BioShock, Mass Effect, KotOR (series), Empire: Total War and others aren't very good.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="muthsera666"]

[QUOTE="Mikethechimp"]

That's right because games like BioShock, Mass Effect, KotOR (series), Empire: Total War and others aren't very good.

Yeah those games are the bane of my existence/sarcasm
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="muthsera666"]

gunswordfist

There's a lot of that going around today, especially from me. What's up with that?

Portal sucks too. (See, more sarcasm)

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="gunswordfist"]

[QUOTE="muthsera666"]

There's a lot of that going around today, especially from me. What's up with that?

Portal sucks too. (See, more sarcasm)

Deus Ex Conspiracy is not the greatest RPG I've ever played SARCASM
Mikethechimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mikethechimp

sigh