The Destiny Check-In Thread: How are You Faring So Far?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Destiny was released nearly two months ago, so I figured that now is a decent time to see what users think about it.

I got it at the midnight launch and played it for a while. The game mechanics initially interested me, but it was not until level twenty that I was excited about leveling up. That is because using gear to level up is a new experience for me. I continue to play occasionally since there is plenty of content, but the actual gameplay is all the same in that you travel somewhere (battling along the way), inspect something with your ghost, and have an end-mission battle. The Crucible is worthwhile because it offers PvP gameplay and random weapon/gear drops at the end of matches somewhere near your level.

Destiny is a fun game, but it needs more content to be a great one.

What do you think about it post-reviews?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Shouldn't we wait for new Content before reevaluating this thing.... Makes sense right ?

AK47Ra1der

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 AK47Ra1der
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I ended up picking it up a day after it came out. Wasn't really planning on getting it but that was mainly because I did not look much into it. I was planning on holding off until the upcoming month with the big titles I was looking for. I actually enjoy the game quite a bit. I got two different characters up to level 25 and at times I could not get enough of the game. I put it down for a bit now because I started playing a couple other games but once some extra content drops I will probably get back into the game. But overall, much better than expected.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By branketra

Since this game has content beyond its story such as increased levels for missions that are not fully seen only by playing the story mode and crucible for less than twenty-five hours, it makes sense to talk about that before any expansion packs are available.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I still play for daily rewards and crucible on weekends with friends. Leveled my Hunter up to 29 and started a Warlock and got him up to level 20 and a Titan to level 13. I've done everything except completing the VG raid (the people I've played with in it were useless time wasters).

Maxed out both Hunter subclasses, so I hope they add a third with the new content coming.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

All right... But isn't that stuff just typical MMO Padding ?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 branketra

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@BranKetra

All right... But isn't that stuff just typical MMO Padding ?

If you are implying post-story content is unique to massively multiplayer online games, I am here to inform you that it is actually a regular feature of video games in general.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

Most Games just end... Then they unlock higher difficulty and if you're really lucky... A challenge mode.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By branketra

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@BranKetra

Most Games just end... Then they unlock higher difficulty and if you're really lucky... A challenge mode.

Video games that actually have those features are not exclusively MMOs. Also, they are common enough to not be an extreme minority as far as I know.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

True.... But they are expected of MMOs...

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Still playing it after a month. Can't wait for the new content coming soon. Sure it needs improvement, but that's usually the case with online games these days.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 branketra

According to Bungie and Activision, Destiny is not an MMO. That said, comparing it to that genre is not enough to properly rate our experiences with it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

What is it anyway ?

Just an Online Shooter ?

No wait... I believe the exact words were "Shared World Shooter".

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Playing Destiny quite often, it's a good game with a great online community.

The gameplay is addictive as hell, dont know if thats good or bad:)

Im lv 27 Titan got the best Exotic Armour in the game which gives me atomaticly 1 extra grenade. I also have an Exotic Handcannon named (Thorn) but i hardly ever use it. Tomorrow i will get the Exotic Heavymachine gun called ( Voice Of the Wilderness) And that weapon is a beast fully upgraded. Can't wait to get my hands on that badboy:) Then after i get that im good to go for the Vault of glass on Venus. I love this game. Pvp is awesome and co-op missions are awesome.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

"The gameplay is addictive as hell, dont know if thats good or bad:)"

its always bad. :(

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44263 Posts

Great game. I picked it up at launch and have put quite a bit of time into it. Currently have a level 29 Warlock and a level 15 Titan. I wish the story telling had been better and the Grimoire was accessible in-game but the rest is excellent. I'm going to take a break from it and play some other games until some dlc comes out for it.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Archangel3371: I'm thinking there'll be new story stuff added alongside the DLC. To keep those who don't buy the expansion pack interested.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44263 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@Archangel3371: I'm thinking there'll be new story stuff added alongside the DLC. To keep those who don't buy the expansion pack interested.

I'm really hoping that something like this happens.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@BranKetra: still playing it when i have time for it

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Cool thread idea.

I stop playing Destiny a week after it came out when I hit level 20. I had no heart to go back and play it. I think the PVP Crucible is excellent though and it's only reason I would ever go back and play that game again.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

29 Titan/28 Hunter/27 Warlock

PvE is fine, but really needs more content. Out of the box, this game isn't big by any standard. The size wouldn't bother me so much except for Bungie and Activision talking about how big it was going to be prior to launch. What concerns me is that they think they have a lot of content here and won't continually feed content into the game at the same pace that similar titles on PC do.

PvP is kinda baffling. They have some interesting non-death match modes like salvage which they arbitrarily lock for weeks at time, subjecting players to 4 versions of death match for most of the time...and yes, Control is basically deathmatch when you understand the scoring. Needs more variety. Then they introduce events like the Iron Banner, which offers no new modes but the option to play control with leveling advantages on. Then we see youtube videos of level 4's taking it to level 30's and we have to sit through Bungie giving this John Madden-esque explanation about success being 80% gear and 40% skill because their IB design doesn't work the way they explained it. I personally think the concept of level advantages mattering in competitive gameplay is terrible and have seen the mess that it leads to on many a MMO, but don't treat your fanbase like they're stupid. Also, the constant balance issues...Suros still wrecks and ARs in general are still king. Why not tweak the way weapons affect shielding to achieve balance instead of messing with bullet damage? You know, like you did it in Halo. In fact, why are there so many mistakes being made here than weren't made in Halo? Is the team in charge that different? The lag is a constant issue, though I don't experience it on other online games I play...like yesterday, when I got shot to pieces through a wall because serverside the guy already had an LOS on me but failed to display that information as it was happening so that on my screen i'm literally watching bullets fly straight through a wall. Matchmaker is also slow; get rid of the 30 second countdown.