This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts

Classic and cratch proof! ....but can be a pain when they don't work! I've recently just dusted off my NES and N64. After a couple hurdles I've finally got everything up and running perfectly as though they were brand new! How do you take care of your cartridges these days? I've read around the internet that rubbing alcohol is the best cleaner for the pins on the cartridges. I used it and it has worked wonders.

Check out my blog, I've posted a little story about a recent cartridge problem, check it out HERE!

or here --->http://www.gamespot.com/users/Cujo31/?tag=userpanel;profile

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I just keep them in a box, when I need them I put them in the Genesis, if they don't work I blow on them. That's it.
ShadowLaguna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 ShadowLaguna
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

The inside of my cupboard always seems to be free of dust. My loose cartridges always go in there, where they never need blowing on or cleaning, otherwise they just go in their respective boxes.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#4 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

i changed the 72 pin connector in my nes recently so i decided to clean the cartridges as well, i used cotton buds (Q-tips) dipped in an alcohol based window cleaner, it worked a treat, most were quite dirty, and now my nes runs like new :)

bradwest96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 bradwest96
Member since 2009 • 56 Posts
Ah, yes. The cartridge. It took away many a young boy's breath trying to get it to work. "Hey man, your Perfect Dark isn't working." *Hands to me* *Blows into bottom*
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

Just keep mine in a boz and if they dont work just blow on them

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I love cartridges. I have had problems with CD based systems. I got rid of my Wii not that long ago because it was scratching up my games. The only cartridge based system left that I could think of was the Nintendo DS so I have one of those now. I have no idea what I will do whe they start making these.

As for cleaning older cartridges I always used to blow in them but my younger brother used to...are you ready for this...lick them. Yuck.

ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#8 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I keep my NES cartridges in the sleeve and in the box. When they started to not work, I fixed the NES not, the cartridges. I corrected the PIN connectors on the machine so they make better contact, and now the games work every time.
Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

Mmmmmmm Cartridge games :P they will return one day :)

GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts

Classic and scratch proof! ....but can be a pain when they don't work! I've recently just dusted off my NES and N64. After a couple hurdles I've finally got everything up and running perfectly as though they were brand new! How do you take care of your cartridges these days? I've read around the internet that rubbing alcohol is the best cleaner for the pins on the cartridges. I used it and it has worked wonders.

Cujo31

Running alcohol is a great tool to use to clean carts. Always clean used carts that you buy, before using them forthe first time.- that will protect the life of your system. I use glass cleaner (windex) with no ammonia as that also can be used to clean cartridges. Remember to use a tiny amount with either liquid, use a q-tip, and clean off the excess with a q-tip and wait a few minutes before trying to play the game. Goo gone is an excellent liquid to use to clean the carts on the outside, and take off price stickers and such. Just make sure not to get any on the game label! Just use a tiny amount at a time to be safe.

As for storing them, make sure the ends are protected, either by placing them in a sleve are making sure the ends of the cart face the bottom of the shelf or such.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
While we are on the subject, does anyone know a good way to protect N64 games? NES games had those sleeves and SNES games had those plastic covers. What does the N64 have?
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

While we are on the subject, does anyone know a good way to protect N64 games? NES games had those sleeves and SNES games had those plastic covers. What does the N64 have?Rocky32189

I used to have an n64 organizer. It was a littleblack box with a slide out shelf that had slots for all your carts controllers and memory packs. It even had a big n64 logo on the front. Mybe you could track one of those down on ebay or something

BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#13 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
For my Genesis games I still have the cases they came in, so I'm not worried about those. My NES games I have a few of those black sleeves, then a few clear colored plastic Nintendo cases. Then I have one plastic cover that goes on the bottom of a SNES cartridge. Other then that the SNES games are the ones least protected you could say.
nolan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 nolan-
Member since 2002 • 7050 Posts
I recall reading something a long time ago saying that blowing on the bottom of cartridges is discouraged. But hey, we all did it, and it never failed.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I recall reading something a long time ago saying that blowing on the bottom of cartridges is discouraged. But hey, we all did it, and it never failed.nolan-
lol Really? But it worked every time! That's pretty funny :P
Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts
if they don't work I blow on them. JigglyWiggly_
I loved the method of cleaning, never failed, ahh how i miss cartridge based gaming.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I recall reading something a long time ago saying that blowing on the bottom of cartridges is discouraged. But hey, we all did it, and it never failed.nolan-
Yes, it is very bad over time. The reason why it works is when you blow in it, the moisture from your breath coats the contacts and increases conductivity. However, that moisture will corrode the game contacts over time. Using rubbing alcohol and a q-tip is the best method for cleaning cartridges.
warjilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 warjilis
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

I keep my games in drawers w/ sleeves and away from excessive heat and moisture. To clean them I use anhydrous rubbing alcohol w/ a Q-Tip; Anhydrous alcohol contains almost no water, so there's no worry about corrosion and it evaporates very quickly

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

I use windex to clean my games, and it works pretty good, but should I switch over to alchohol? which one is the best?

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts

I use windex to clean my games, and it works pretty good, but should I switch over to alchohol? which one is the best?

Videogamefan123
There is a lot of water in windex. Stop using it and use the alchohol.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#21 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
I do what everyone else did back in the day when it doesn't work: I blow on it. To keep 'em protected, I have my carts stacked up with the open-end against the wall so that dust doesn't really get in. It's worked so far!
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

reasdb the back lol it says dont blow on connector or touch them submerge in alcohol lol but hey it works

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I just keep them in a box, when I need them I put them in the Genesis, if they don't work I blow on them. That's it.JigglyWiggly_
Same here.