This topic is locked from further discussion.

Caemyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Caemyr
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts
I am thinking of getting Tabula Rasa, can anyone who has played the game give me soem feedback on whether or not they think this is a good idea or not?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I just learned it was an MMO. It is an MMO, right?
Caemyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Caemyr
yes, it is an MMO
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I've been curious as well, since new copies of the game are $10 or less in various game stores and as far as I know the servers are still up.

It seems like it would be a unique enough experience to try out for that price, even if it doesn't last. From reading impressions of the game it sounds like it's fun to a point, where you've just done everything there is to do in the game and there's very little incentive to continue on.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I would love to try it out. If I only had time for an MMORPG... :P
Caemyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Caemyr

I have learned, that, unfortunately Tabula Rasa is gonna be dropped. Richard Garriot has severed ties with NCSoft, and that, combined with a very small number of players has led to this game's demise. Too bad, I rather enjoyed it.:(

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

I have learned, that, unfortunately Tabula Rasa is gonna be dropped. Richard Garriot has severed ties with NCSoft, and that, combined with a very small number of players has led to this game's demise. Too bad, I rather enjoyed it.:(

Caemyr

Really? What is your source? I know Garriot left but that doesn't mean the game is dead. After a search of the Play NC and Tabula Rasa offical websites I can find no reports of the game's cancellation. Since I am an active play I'd like to assume they would make sure their customer base was informed about any impending cancellation.

Hopefully they will only reorganize the company to better suit the small player base. The game took a little effort to get into but once I did its proven to be surprising fun. The open world of a MMO is a very welcome and long over due change to the dried up and boring hallway shooter most FPSs tend to be.

simpl3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 simpl3
Member since 2006 • 4068 Posts

He has no idea what he is talking about. I recently picked up Tabula Rasa when it was being sold for 97 cents, and have been enjoying the game. No plans to shut down, and no announcements from NCsoft.

EDIT: Yeah, what is said is actually true. Sorry, I fail. =[

e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts

Caemyr
He needs to go back to helping with the Ultima Online games! That's back when the game was great. But yeah I've never tried Tabula Rasa, but I here it's a decent shooter game. But I wouldn't want to play it now that he's gone. The game is probabily going down the tube with the rest of the non-wow mmo games. But you could always try to get a free trial... Last I checked they had a 10-day free one.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
Tabula rasa is really fun, taking over outposts and defending against invasion is one of the funnest things I've done in an MMO. That being said theres just not enough content to keep it interesting very long. I quit after lvl 30, after getting my final job change. If they keep the game open I will definetly play it again,but I cant see ever playing this for over a month at a time.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

If you want detailed none formal information about Tabula Rasa from an ex players perspective then here it is coming from me. One thing I must say is that I played the game from Beta and a few months after launch, I'd imagine that many patches have occured since then so a few of the issues I will mention may of been fixed.

It's very much a reticle based game, you'r pointing your reticle at things and shooting your gun, the reticle gets bigger as your gun recoils and you miss more. That's the entire game, that's everything. Oh yeah you can melee also! In fact there is a class called the Spy who are completly melee focused and wield blades that look like they would break if you sat on them. There is one problem with melee: On launch the developers discovered that the monsters are not using their special attacks often enough, so they patched it. Now the monsters ues their special moves all the time! Every monster has a kick attack, it's 100% accurate it will never miss and it knocks your character on the floor for like 10 seconds. If you're a spy you will walk over to a monster to hit it and get kicked then wait 10 seconds, get up and hit it once again before getting another kick and waiting 10 seconds again! Yay FUN!

All the characters look like Bonno's cousin no matter how hard you try to make yourself look unquie. There used to be a lot of bugged quests but i'd imagine they fixed most of that now (I would hope so anyway). The PVP side of the game is tacked on, completly out of place and none sensual. You have a very limited amount of skills to your chosen path, offering very little varity in ways of killing things, unless maybe if you played a bio engineer, in which you had skills that you could prat about with and then realise you could of just shot your needle pistol and killed the monster in half the time. Richard Garriot has abandoned it and has gone into hiding in his castle.

It's quite well presented, the Strider war machines are nicely annimated in the way they drop from the sky and come out of the ground like in War of the Worlds. Fireing a machine gun from the top of a battlement onto a group of attacking aliens makes you feel like captain hero. It's got C4 type explosives in it. That's all I can be bothered to write.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts
Wow I just realised how old this thread is, so you probably know more then me about the game if you been playing it all tha time.