Stupid question: will Super Famicom games work in a PAL SNES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
The cartridge shapes look virtually identical to me, so should fit in the cart slot without any modification to my system. Can anyone confirm this?  Super Famicom cart design  Pal SNES cart design My local cash converters has a japanese copy of Final Fight 2 for sale, and I was wondering if it would run in my pal system.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts
[QUOTE="Nismology"]The cartridge shapes look virtually identical to me, so should fit in the cart slot without any modification to my system. Can anyone confirm this?  Super Famicom cart design  Pal SNES cart design My local cash converters has a japanese copy of Final Fight 2 for sale, and I was wondering if it would run in my pal system.

But if you think it's a stupid que- anyway they look nothing a like, and the chip slot that you put into the console on the Pal version is technically bigger so no. no it won't. There are third-party carts that work on all, like 7.
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nismology
[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] But if you think it's a stupid que- anyway they look nothing a like, and the chip slot that you put into the console on the Pal version is technically bigger so no. no it won't. There are third-party carts that work on all, like 7.

Well, I just got back from buying it, (it was only £2.99 so why the hell not?) and it fits perfectly in the cartridge slot, as I expected. The cartridge shape is actually EXACTLY the same, and it has the same amount of pins. Here, pictures to prove you wrong:    However, when I insert the game and power on my console, nothing happens - which is a shame. I was kinda under the impression of it was like the Mega Drive: 'if it fits in the slot, it'll work.' I may hang onto the game nonetheless.. It's kinda cool to have a japanese game, even if I can't play it!
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StatusShuffle
[QUOTE="Nismology"][QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] But if you think it's a stupid que- anyway they look nothing a like, and the chip slot that you put into the console on the Pal version is technically bigger so no. no it won't. There are third-party carts that work on all, like 7.

Well, I just got back from buying it, (it was only £2.99 so why the hell not?) and it fits perfectly in the cartridge slot, as I expected. The cartridge shape is actually EXACTLY the same, and it has the same amount of pins. Here, pictures to prove you wrong:    However, when I insert the game and power on my console, nothing happens - which is a shame. I was kinda under the impression of it was like the Mega Drive: 'if it fits in the slot, it'll work.' I may hang onto the game nonetheless.. It's kinda cool to have a japanese game, even if I can't play it!

How was I proven wrong> I said the chip slot was slightly larger for Pal, which PREVENTS IT FROM WORKING. The Chips are the gold things INSIDE THE Cartridge. Amount of pins means NOTHING. SO I WAS RIGHT it will not WORK. Thanks for trying though.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts
[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="Nismology"][QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] But if you think it's a stupid que- anyway they look nothing a like, and the chip slot that you put into the console on the Pal version is technically bigger so no. no it won't. There are third-party carts that work on all, like 7.

How was I proven wrong> I said the chip slot was slightly larger for Pal, which PREVENTS IT FROM WORKING. The Chips are the gold things INSIDE THE Cartridge. Amount of pins means NOTHING. SO I WAS RIGHT it will not WORK. Thanks for trying though.

"anyway they look nothing a like". They look pretty much exactly the same.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StatusShuffle
[QUOTE="OniStrat"][QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="Nismology"] Well, I just got back from buying it, (it was only £2.99 so why the hell not?) and it fits perfectly in the cartridge slot, as I expected. The cartridge shape is actually EXACTLY the same, and it has the same amount of pins. Here, pictures to prove you wrong:    However, when I insert the game and power on my console, nothing happens - which is a shame. I was kinda under the impression of it was like the Mega Drive: 'if it fits in the slot, it'll work.' I may hang onto the game nonetheless.. It's kinda cool to have a japanese game, even if I can't play it!

"anyway they look nothing a like". They look pretty much exactly the same.

These look the same to you? So does icecream look like a toyota to you? Ok, the difference is not THAt big but yeah, no.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OniStrat

Aside from the sticker and the lighting, yes. They look incredibly alike.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StatusShuffle

OniStrat
Well, can't change your vision.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

StatusShuffle

You should however check yours.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]

OniStrat

You should however check yours.

yeah lay off the drugs then come back.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StatusShuffle
Not even the same shade of color lol. poor ill child.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I don't believe so because of the 50hz and 60hz difference, and there is a security chip.

You can put super famicom games in a US model though without problems. I did that for sparkster snes. I just opened my american snes and pliered the security tabs out in the cartridge slot.

I think there's something like theAD-29 might work, but you are better off just buying another SNES. They are pretty cheap anyway.

you can try doing thishttp://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=4

looks fairly easy, but i think if you do this your ntsc games will run at 50hz, but I'm not sure. Pal is a joek anyway. I'd throw your garbo snes and get a real super famicom or a US model.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OniStrat

Not even the same shade of color lol. poor ill child.StatusShuffle
The thing is that the Japanese cartridges and the European cartridges are identical. They have exactly the same measurements. There really is no room for opinion here.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nismology

I don't believe so because of the 50hz and 60hz difference, and there is a security chip.

You can put super famicom games in a US model though without problems. I did that for sparkster snes. I just opened my american snes and pliered the security tabs out in the cartridge slot.

I think there's something like theAD-29 might work, but you are better off just buying another SNES. They are pretty cheap anyway.

you can try doing thishttp://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=4

looks fairly easy, but i think if you do this your ntsc games will run at 50hz, but I'm not sure. Pal is a joek anyway. I'd throw your garbo snes and get a real super famicom or a US model.

JigglyWiggly_
Cheers, thanks for the civilised answer ;) Pal certainly crippled gaming in this country for quite a while. I'm not really that serious of a collector to warrant buying a new SNES, I'll look into converter cartridges. @StatusShuffle, I think the photos in my second post are enough proof that the *** and UK carts are identical in size and shape, and the contacts are the same length, width and thickness. Have you actually compared a Super Famicom cart and a UK Pal cart side by side in real life, or did you base your rather sarcastic answer to my original post purely upon speculation and the two differing images I posted?
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Pal Runs on 50megahertz while Japan/asia runs on 60Megahertz. Plus the voltage is wrong to be compatible. So while SuperNintendo PAL region and Super Famicom Asia region. The carts look the same they are not compatible.

I kinda like the way Super Famicom cartridges look. Compared to standard North American Super Nintendo ones.