Square Enix Considering FF VII Remake ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

It seems that Square Enix can't get away from this rumor, and now it's being fueled again.

On PS3Center.net :

Yoshinori Kitase has mentioned several times that a Final Fantasy 7 remake is not happening, or that it's budget would be too high, yet people keep asking for it.

It seems though that Square Enix may be considering a Final Fantasy 7 remake, as they asked their followers on their official twitter account ( Unfortunately it's on Japanese Language ), what they thought about the idea of a Final Fantasy VII remake, suggesting that they may now be considering making the game.

They then had to post a tweet telling users to stop giving feedback a couple of hours later, as they had received an incredible amount of interest. They also mentioned that work on Versus was taking up a lot of time right now, so it is unlikely that we'll see an FF7 Remake soon.

So why aren't Square jumping on this chance to make a potentially ( most likely ) 4 or 5 million-selling game? Or are they just denying as long as they possibly can to surprise us later?

Source :http://www.ps3center.net//news/4377/square-enix-considering-ffvii-remake/

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i think that square knows they could do the remake and depending on how they did it, they could either make or break it so to speak. my take on it would be to have the original game, updated artwork and graphics and add more stuff (i dunno, morehidden stuff ormore weapons/ruby/diamond/emerald) but i know some people are saying"make itlook/play like this other ff" and i think that would take away from it. maybedo something with atb bar to speed up battles a little initially but i don't think it really needs much of a tweaking.

as for the point of the thread, i think we'll actually see the remake around the time the next gen releases. it sucks and i don'twant it to be that way but skweeniks has a big fan base who keep demanding more great sequels (dragonquest, kingdom hearts, ff) so theyonly have so much time to work on everything.

off topic, i hope to see a high end console dragonquest sometime in the near future.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoctisCaelum52

i think that square knows they could do the remake and depending on how they did it, they could either make or break it so to speak. my take on it would be to have the original game, updated artwork and graphics and add more stuff (i dunno, morehidden stuff ormore weapons/ruby/diamond/emerald) but i know some people are saying"make itlook/play like this other ff" and i think that would take away from it. maybedo something with atb bar to speed up battles a little initially but i don't think it really needs much of a tweaking.

as for the point of the thread, i think we'll actually see the remake around the time the next gen releases. it sucks and i don'twant it to be that way but skweeniks has a big fan base who keep demanding more great sequels (dragonquest, kingdom hearts, ff) so theyonly have so much time to work on everything.

off topic, i hope to see a high end console dragonquest sometime in the near future.

z4twenny

I completely agree. They really don't need to change the story. Just updated graphics and stuff. About your off topic, Dragon Quest IX for PS3 would be great. Really loved DQ VIII. :)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

A remake. Not sure how that would work. Would they keep the story or change stuff around? Then gaming; turn it into Crisis Core or Kingdom Hearts..or FF XIII?

Or are they gonna go with MMORP- I mean, FFXII gameplay. They could just stick with the FF7 battle system.

Good luck with that.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

NoctisCaelum52

I completely agree. They really don't need to change the story. Just updated graphics and stuff. About your off topic, Dragon Quest IX for PS3 would be great. Really loved DQ VIII. :)

Yes. YES. Yes. YES! A thousand times YES. I can't remember ever being as mad at Square Enix as I was when I found out DQ IX wasn't coming to the PS3. DQVIII is my favorite JRPG of all time.
COSMICX815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 COSMICX815
Member since 2009 • 1053 Posts

to do this right, keep the original frame of the game, but make it look good. You don't need to change a thing in that great game, the only problem is the blockyness for everything. I tried playing it completely through, but got tired at looking at the graphics. I had fun and it is still one of the best RPGs ever made. A remake would be awesome, considering Dirge of Cereberus was kind of a joke. All hidden stuff in the game should still remain, like the super bosses. Imagine if this game had even PS2 graphics... thats decent, but now PS3 graphics..... thats a whole new trip. They should do this For FFVIII and FFIX. If they add new content, make another town or another dungeon, I don't want the whole game to be stripped down to the core or anything removed.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoctisCaelum52
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Yes. YES. Yes. YES! A thousand times YES. I can't remember ever being as mad at Square Enix as I was when I found out DQ IX wasn't coming to the PS3. DQVIII is my favorite JRPG of all time.

Yes. DQ VIII is also one my favorite RPGs of all time. Too bad I haven't finished it yet. I'm too busy trying to find all Final Fantasy XII Espers and secret weapons. :)
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

IMO there are just two ways to get this right, either just update the graphics, music and add voice acting, but leave the gameplay the same as the original, or do all that but make the gameplay like Kingdom Hearts, either way the day they confirm this game to be true is the day I buy myself a PS3.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="NoctisCaelum52"]

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

nocoolnamejim

Yes. YES. Yes. YES! A thousand times YES. I can't remember ever being as mad at Square Enix as I was when I found out DQ IX wasn't coming to the PS3. DQVIII is my favorite JRPG of all time.

I think they announced recently that DQX was coming out for Wii, actually. I still haven't finish VIII... need to pick up V and VI when it comes out though.

My concern is that a FFVII remake would take as long as XIII to make, since I have a feeling that they'd start from scratch for some reason rather than use an existing game engine, etc. They should remake it for PSP if anything, if only so it wouldn't take so flippin' long. Besides, Nomura's team is already taking forever to make Versus XIII & have Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep under their belts for PSP (which didn't need to take so long to make anyway, but I digress).

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="NoctisCaelum52"] I completely agree. They really don't need to change the story. Just updated graphics and stuff. About your off topic, Dragon Quest IX for PS3 would be great. Really loved DQ VIII. :)

MAILER_DAEMON

I think they announced recently that DQX was coming out for Wii, actually. I still haven't finish VIII... need to pick up V and VI when it comes out though.

My concern is that a FFVII remake would take as long as XIII to make, since I have a feeling that they'd start from scratch for some reason rather than use an existing game engine, etc. They should remake it for PSP if anything, if only so it wouldn't take so flippin' long. Besides, Nomura's team is already taking forever to make Versus XIII & have Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep under their belts for PSP (which didn't need to take so long to make anyway, but I digress).

On top of that - would anyone still care for it? Only the FFVII diehard fans or those that were introduced to RPGs through FFVII are asking for it. But would it really matter in the end? My other concern would also be on how it's done - is it just going to be a graphical overhaul with no changes on the gameplay or something else altogether? That's the problem with remakes - some of them turn out good, others turn out bad. FFVII is a great FF (not the best though - FFIV takes the crown on that honor), but I am not sure if doing a remake is such a good idea at all.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I definitely think we will see a remake here. THEY keep bringing it up over and over and over.

Should be quicker and easier than other Final Fantasy's as they already have a huge baseline to follow. They just need new graphics, get rid of the damage cap which crippled most characters late game (I mean after all, what the point of having any character with a single hit limit break in the end when it pretty much just does the same damage as your normal attack?) and of course throw in some nice new content.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nocoolnamejim
I think they announced recently that DQX was coming out for Wii, actually. I still haven't finish VIII... need to pick up V and VI when it comes out though. My concern is that a FFVII remake would take as long as XIII to make, since I have a feeling that they'd start from scratch for some reason rather than use an existing game engine, etc. They should remake it for PSP if anything, if only so it wouldn't take so flippin' long. Besides, Nomura's team is already taking forever to make Versus XIII & have Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep under their belts for PSP (which didn't need to take so long to make anyway, but I digress).MAILER_DAEMON
Yeah. I think I have DQX being tracked now. If that game comes out for the Wii, then I'm getting a Wii. No question about it. It's always a fine line to tread when remaking a game. Do too little to update and you get dinged for doing a "cash in" remake. Take too long, and people get impatient. I think the PSP would be a good platform for a VII remake, but I wasn't a huge fan of VII. I could see a lot of big fans of VII insisting on a remake for one of the consoles.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
This rumor is right up there with the Duke Nukem Forever idea. Square could do it, and they might, or they might not. The whole idea of FF7 being remade with better graphics and such is somewhat woven into legend. People would love to see it, but whether or not it actually happens is up in the air.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 branketra

I definitely think we will see a remake here. THEY keep bringing it up over and over and over.

Should be quicker and easier than other Final Fantasy's as they already have a huge baseline to follow. They just need new graphics, get rid of the damage cap which crippled most characters late game (I mean after all, what the point of having any character with a single hit limit break in the end when it pretty much just does the same damage as your normal attack?) and of course throw in some nice new content.

LostProphetFLCL

Yeah. Limit Breaks and Knights of the Round are awesome, but after a group Materia is developed everybody's doing 9999 anyway.

With stuff like Final Summon-Phoenix, Quadra-Magic-Bahamut Zero and Mimic, I wanted to go easy on my opponents after a while.

Don't get me wrong. If the game is played without mastering everything in mind, it's a decent challenge. I liked how different areas had different levels for opponents, but I also liked FF8's -everything levels up.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Yes. YES. Yes. YES! A thousand times YES. I can't remember ever being as mad at Square Enix as I was when I found out DQ IX wasn't coming to the PS3. DQVIII is my favorite JRPG of all time.Metamania

On top of that - would anyone still care for it? Only the FFVII diehard fans or those that were introduced to RPGs through FFVII are asking for it. But would it really matter in the end? My other concern would also be on how it's done - is it just going to be a graphical overhaul with no changes on the gameplay or something else altogether? That's the problem with remakes - some of them turn out good, others turn out bad. FFVII is a great FF (not the best though - FFIV takes the crown on that honor), but I am not sure if doing a remake is such a good idea at all.

That's why I suggest the PSP: not only do they have a good template for remakes on handhelds, but you have the versatility of taking the game anywhere. I can already play it on a console, and technically a handheld, but they need to fix the translation if nothing else.

My favorite remake is still Resident Evil. The GC version not only gave it a graphical overhaul, but also changed the layout of the game (with a few tips of the hat to the original), re-did the voice acting, added new bosses and story details, and even upgraded the gameplay. More importantly, it didn't take that long to make, and it served to get Mikami's team used to the GC hardware before making Resident Evil 4.

MrBoxhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrBoxhead
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

They said that it'd take something like 9 years if they tried to remake it now. They also said they'd do it if it didn't take them that long.

Now we just wait for technology to get better.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

BranKetra

Yeah. Knights of the Round is awesome but after a group of Master 4x Cuts is brought up everybody's doing 9999 anyway.

Knights of the Round was still awesome in the end.

However, there was a HUGE issue when it came to limit breaks. I mean, if I remember correctly there was a specific team of 3 you were to use (Cloud, Tifa, and someone else) simply because their limits hit the most....

Vincent became downright useless as you couldn't control him during his limit and yet he is only hitting like once and for normal attack damage...

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Even if it did take them as long to remake FFVII as a new FF, it wouldn't matter since an FFVII remake would be received with just as much, if not more, fanfare than a new entry into the series. Not only that but it would probably have the best launch of any Square-Enix title.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if a FFVII remake happens. I think since FFXIII is getting some negative reactions, it may be the fuel that's feeding the fire of the FFXIII's creators to redeem themselves. You know a FFVII remake, if done right like the original, will be more well-received and be a huge hit among fans.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metamania
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]I wouldn't be surprised if a FFVII remake happens. I think since FFXIII is getting some negative reactions, it may be the fuel that's feeding the fire of the FFXIII's creators to redeem themselves. You know a FFVII remake, if done right like the original, will be more well-received and be a huge hit among fans.

That's only because of how unfortunately popular FFVII turned out to be, which in itself is a tragedy, since no one really cared about FF before until FFVII came.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

As much as I loved the original FFVII, I don't really care to have a remake of it myself. I think they should just leave VII alone already!

But if I was working for Square-Enix, I'd definitely keep the idea in mind for the future, considering it seems millions of people always say they want one. If they remade it, I'd imagine the sales would be quite immense, assuming Square-Enix doesn't royally screw up the remake.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="Metamania"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]I wouldn't be surprised if a FFVII remake happens. I think since FFXIII is getting some negative reactions, it may be the fuel that's feeding the fire of the FFXIII's creators to redeem themselves. You know a FFVII remake, if done right like the original, will be more well-received and be a huge hit among fans.

That's only because of how unfortunately popular FFVII turned out to be, which in itself is a tragedy, since no one really cared about FF before until FFVII came.

Um. I'd have to dramatically disagree with your statement. Even in the U.S., Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI were mega hits.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]I wouldn't be surprised if a FFVII remake happens. I think since FFXIII is getting some negative reactions, it may be the fuel that's feeding the fire of the FFXIII's creators to redeem themselves. You know a FFVII remake, if done right like the original, will be more well-received and be a huge hit among fans.nocoolnamejim

Um. I'd have to dramatically disagree with your statement. Even in the U.S., Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI were mega hits.

Dramatically disagree...that's a new one. I'll keep in mind next time. Thanks!

Only FF1, FFIV, and FFVI made it out there. FFII and III did not come out here on the SNES and neither did V. So no, not that many people did not hear much of those titles, only those two. While FFIV and VI were indeed successful, that still didn't mean the series or even RPGs in general were popular until FFVII came out. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
It makes so much business sense that I don't know why they haven't done it already. The complaints about expense are bull. This game is a guaranteed multi-platinum hit; there's no way it doesn't cover the bet of development costs. You can't tell me that it'd cost more to develop than Final Fantasy XIII, for instance, and Square certainly didn't consider that game too expensive. No, the game is definitely going to sell. Only by waiting this long, they may have missed their window slightly. They should have released it a few years ago as a hold-over between Final Fantasy XII and XIII.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
oh god will they just make up their minds allready, make it or dont i really dont care anymore
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Why oh why won't this game just go away? FFVII doesn't need a remake, nor does it deserve one.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
I would rather they just focus on getting more PSone games on the Playstation Store for me to buy. All of my European friends are playing Vagrant Story, and laughing at me, for my lack of Vagrancy. I would very much like for that to end. Also, Xenogears and Parasite Eve, because they were just flat out incredible.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
I hold no hope in this rumor at all any longer. If it happens yippee, but whatever. This has been going on for years now.
kane1511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kane1511
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

Square are going to prolong a remake for so long that everyone will go crazy for one and it will sell around the 15 million mark.

coveredeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coveredeyes
Member since 2010 • 92 Posts
Hard to say, FF7 was amazing, but, we have new standard now. It would just ruin our sweet memory. magicalclick
I completely agree, it should be left alone, the release of AC was enough for me. Also I think that if Final Fantasy VII were to be released now (not back in 1997) with improved graphics etc. but same battle system and the like, then this game would not be a huge hit critically.
Restorath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Restorath
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
When you look at FFVII in a business perspective, its pretty much a license to print money if they remade it to the visual standards of today's technology. I'd disagree with the decision to alter the gameplay in anyway, if something is to be done to it, it should be completely graphical. As for the "For and Against" parties in this situation, the people For are far greater than the people Against and if Square have shown at least some enthusiasm to recreating it, then it will most like happen somewhere in the future.
Xamax777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xamax777
Member since 2008 • 88 Posts

Maybe they should make it just to kill the rumor.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 branketra
It'd take a lot more than graphics to remake this game. With technology today, they'd have to do a revamp of the battle system, question the Limit Breaks of 7 For the ways they were unleashed in the games after, the materia, status magic (status effects), weapons....side quests. I dunno. That game is good, but there'd have to be a remake in every sense of the word for me to be impressed.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Metamania"] That's only because of how unfortunately popular FFVII turned out to be, which in itself is a tragedy, since no one really cared about FF before until FFVII came. Metamania

Dramatically disagree...that's a new one. I'll keep in mind next time. Thanks!

Only FF1, FFIV, and FFVI made it out there. FFII and III did not come out here on the SNES and neither did V. So no, not that many people did not hear much of those titles, only those two. While FFIV and VI were indeed successful, that still didn't mean the series or even RPGs in general were popular until FFVII came out. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Nothing like mocking good grammat with bad grammar :? Anyways Final Fantasy was popular after the first two were released in the states. There were many people who were so disappointed that III did not release in the states that they imported famicoms from Japan to be able to play the game (I was one of them).

There was an immense fan base way before Final Fantasy 7 was even thought of.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
LOL, I honestly think a remake would be quite over-the-top.
EvilLaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EvilLaughter
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

SquareEnix did an amazing job remaking Final Fantasy IV. I would surely be up for a remake of lucky number seven, however I think it would be even more awesome if they continued recreating until 9 (in numerical order).

Or, even better, make a new game with the old-fashioned ATB meter...

ArT33_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ArT33_7
Member since 2009 • 608 Posts

It would be very nice if they did make a remake and I would definitely buy it, but I wish Square Enix would focus more on getting Kingdom Hearts 3 released or made lol.