Sony preparing Largest Ever Hardware Campaign brand push with the 40gb PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

SCEA Preps "Largest Ever" Hardware Campaign

link

"With those technology messages now firmly embedded, we wanted to move beyond the power message with a more high-energy, entertainment driven focus for the PS3. The games are here, the price point is now $399 and we wanted to make the news loud and clear.

"And so, beyond the brilliant HD games that the PS3 delivers, you'll also see a big focus behind the PS3's Blu-ray movie capability and, for the first time, you'll see a major focus behind the PlayStation Network and the exclusive gaming content available on the PlayStation Store, as well as breakthrough services like Home."

More info at the link :) Looks like they are going all guns blazing. Right move.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts
Well I can't say that I'm at all interested in the Blu-ray movie capabilities I am certainly interested in the exclusive gaming content for PSN and seeing how this whole Home thing turns out like with it's features and functionality especially in regards to how the games will make use of it.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

competition = gaming heaven

Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
I agree, it is smart for them to do this.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I was under the impressionHome was a while away from completion, but I haven't logged in in a while (I am a beta tester) so maybe something changed.

Below is a link to two new Sony ads. They are cool in that they show off gameplay footage, which makes them the exception to the rule of modern videogame ads (including recent PS3 commercials).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

What's most encouraging about the ads is the absence of Lair (Warhawk, another game released in that timeframe, is shown, as are Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Home, GT Prologue and Uncharted). Its a shame Sony chose to release broken garbage like Lair onto the PS3 (such an action strikes me as self-defeating for anyone, especially a first party) but at least they recognize their mistake.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Well I can't say that I'm at all interested in the Blu-ray movie capabilities I am certainly interested in the exclusive gaming content for PSN and seeing how this whole Home thing turns out like with it's features and functionality especially in regards to how the games will make use of it.Archangel3371

Thing is, whether we like it or not, the Blu-Ray is as much part of the system as the games.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
I saw the recent ads. I have to say it is probably the best ad Sony has done in twoo...maybe three years. Its not saying alot since thier PSP and PS3 ads so far have been absolute ****. But it is really good lol. I would definitely say it is the best ad for a consule out there.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I'm really happy to see them get aggressive.  This holiday won't make or break the PS3, but a cheaper PS3, and some decent ad campaigns should stop the bleeding to a certain extent.  I really like the new Ratchet ad.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
Nice idea, but I will say there's not another company in recent memory whose advertising has ended up biting them on the butt more than Sony.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts
It looks like the kind of advertising they should have been doing from the very start, along with the price they should have had. Does the 40GB still have BC with PS1/PS2 or no? A friend of mine is trying to decide between PS3 and 360, and I'm trying to get him the facts.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rragnaar
It is backwards compatible with PS1 games, but not PS2 games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

It is backwards compatible with PS1 games, but not PS2 games.rragnaar

WTH? You'd think it would have been the opposite. What a mess this gen is, hardware-wise. Can't we just have one sku with one price that does everything we need it to? You know, like last gen?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]It is backwards compatible with PS1 games, but not PS2 games.EdgecrusherAza

WTH? You'd think it would have been the opposite. What a mess this gen is, hardware-wise. Can't we just have one sku with one price that does everything we need it to? You know, like last gen?

That would definitely be nice.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is working on software BC for the 40GB model, but who knows.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

They need to hammer home the $399 more than just a splash at the end.

They should totally have Ratchet look up and see that the sky has 399 stars, and then jump on his hovercraft that goes 399 miles an hour before jumping off and fighting 399 enemies.

They need to hammer that home. I don't think Ratchet will sell systems, but $399 will. And I think it's a bad idea to push the Blu-ray aspect of the system, because all it does is reinforce in people's minds that they need a hi-def TV for this system, and that's what Sony should be avoiding right now.

$399 and games. $399 and games. $399 and games.

EDIT: I also think pushing Home and PSN are bad moves as well. A lot of people aren't even going to hook the box up to the internet. Take the 360 (a system that is synonymous with online gaming and as such should have the highest penetration of the two) for example -- they have like 12 million consoles sold, but less than half of them even go on Xbox Live. Spending money advertising to half of anything is a poor move, especially because even those who ARE online may have no interest in Home and may not buy downloadable content. Sony needs to ditch the idea of going after technophiles (Blu-ray) and online users and go after the mass market. $399 isn't a mass-market price yet, but a lot of fence-sitters could come off the fence at $399 if they're sold properly.

trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

It's a tough sell at $399. They are still well out of range on the mainstream family's gift list. The people who are more affluent will go for the 360. The system is still too immature right now: blue-ray, the library and HOME are things that will make casual gamer bob shrug his shoulders. The 360 has the hardcore locked up with it's sterling lineup this year(emphasis on this year)...so they really are trying to carve a niche that isn't there.

While I think 2008 will be a better year for the console, they'd have to execute everything exactly right...MGS4 missing the first half of the year is a bad start.

The biggest beneficiary to all of this of course is the Wii, they are winning by default simply by doing nothing imbecelic, unlike the other two.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
They need it. They are quite far behind in their sales.
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

I'm still waiting for the games, I want games that don't need a 2 -4 gig install either and then run slowly still. JUST GIVE ME SOME MORE GAMES... SONY? HELLLOOOOO???

Man what an echo.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts

I agree, it is smart for them to do this.hammer_of_thor_

yes, glad sony isn't taking it lying down.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I'm still waiting for the games, I want games that don't need a 2 -4 gig install either and then run slowly still. JUST GIVE ME SOME MORE GAMES... SONY? HELLLOOOOO???

Man what an echo.

_Bear

It's funny you mention this because I was just clearing out some old demos today and noticed my 60 gigs are now down to 38, and a good portion of that are multi-gig installs for games. I never even paid much attention to this before as I only have a few games, but I could see it becoming a pain down the line as I buy more games for the system.

Is it just to speed up load times or what?

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

They need to hammer home the $399 more than just a splash at the end.

They should totally have Ratchet look up and see that the sky has 399 stars, and then jump on his hovercraft that goes 399 miles an hour before jumping off and fighting 399 enemies.

They need to hammer that home. I don't think Ratchet will sell systems, but $399 will. And I think it's a bad idea to push the Blu-ray aspect of the system, because all it does is reinforce in people's minds that they need a hi-def TV for this system, and that's what Sony should be avoiding right now.

$399 and games. $399 and games. $399 and games.

EDIT: I also think pushing Home and PSN are bad moves as well. A lot of people aren't even going to hook the box up to the internet. Take the 360 (a system that is synonymous with online gaming and as such should have the highest penetration of the two) for example -- they have like 12 million consoles sold, but less than half of them even go on Xbox Live. Spending money advertising to half of anything is a poor move, especially because even those who ARE online may have no interest in Home and may not buy downloadable content. Sony needs to ditch the idea of going after technophiles (Blu-ray) and online users and go after the mass market. $399 isn't a mass-market price yet, but a lot of fence-sitters could come off the fence at $399 if they're sold properly.

Shame-usBlackley

$399 sounds great compared to $599 .... but not so much compared to the entry price of it's closest competitors (Wii $249, X360 $279). It's part of the unwinnable problem the PS3 has this gen: it started too expensive. So even when it gets cheaper, it's STILL so much more than its competitors that have all the momentum that it probably won't have the effect it should.

And people can go on and on about all that PS3 offers out of the box (and it IS nice), I just don't see how all of that comes into play when people are just going to buy a new gaming system. A relatively small percentage of people have HDTV's and broadband, so such 'advantages' will only matter to a small percentage of consumers.

But the ads are nice (then again, I liked the launch ads too) and should help some, but popular opinion is stronger and Sony is not going to win that battle this holiday.

NOTE: I believe XBL has over 7 million subscribers worldwide, which is near 60% of all 360 owners. That's good.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
[QUOTE="_Bear"]

Man what an echo.

Shame-usBlackley

It's funny you mention this because I was just clearing out some old demos today and noticed my 60 gigs are now down to 38, and a good portion of that are multi-gig installs for games. I never even paid much attention to this before as I only have a few games, but I could see it becoming a pain down the line as I buy more games for the system.

Supposedly though one could never tell after a 4 gig install on Ninja Gaiden that game chokes more than old lady Smokey. And don't get me started on Heavenly Sword and awfully long load times despite a 2 gig install mandatory. I will say R&C has a very small install and loads very quickly so again its about laziness on optimization.

PS its the only real problem I'm having with my 20 gig hardware wise. I still think its software problem, if Sony allows game makers to use this so called load saving cache with no limit and the games still perform sub pare, they the game makers need to be held accountable 360 games have no installs unless its a full game or demo of XBLMP.

icream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 icream
Member since 2003 • 3181 Posts
Well, those "Universe of Entertainment" PS3 ads are really good.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Supposedly though one could never tell after a 4 gig install on Ninja Gaiden that game chokes more than old lady Smokey. And don't get me started on Heavenly Sword and awfully long load times despite a 2 gig install mandatory. I will say R&C has a very small install and loads very quickly so again its about laziness on optimization.

_Bear

I really wish people here would just stop saying this sort of nonsense. If you're intimately familar with the specifics of those two games and how they handle loading and what sort of constrainsts they have, please share.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Ratchet loads up fine for me. The only weird thing about loading in that game, that I've noticed, is that it kind of bogs down as the system loads the weapons in the shop/upgrades menu. But actual gameplay is smooth as R&C PS2.
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Darth_Tigris

Actually, HDTVs are spreading like wild fire, 80% of all tv purchases are hdtvs and many gamers of next gen consoles own HDTVs.

EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EazyB
Member since 2003 • 7944 Posts

Sony should've just stuck with what they've been doing. Who needs ads with gameplay footage when you can have ads with a creepy laughing baby?

In all seriousness, this holiday season won't be too great for the PS3 because the games are lacking, but if they can convince consumers to pick one up this holidays just based on it's great value, it will give them a little more time to attract gamers with a robust gaming library.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
yeah those commercials are great
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Ratchet loads up fine for me. The only weird thing about loading in that game, that I've noticed, is that it kind of bogs down as the system loads the weapons in the shop/upgrades menu. But actual gameplay is smooth as R&C PS2.EdgecrusherAza

yeah he didn't say it didn't (Bear that is)

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_Tigris"] F1Lengend

Actually, HDTVs are spreading like wild fire, 80% of all tv purchases are hdtvs and many gamers of next gen consoles own HDTVs.

especially now that you can pick up a good HDTV for 500 to 1000 dollars.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

*No Backwards Compatability, so hang onto your PS2

Well, I don't suppose its a HUGE loss, but still a significant irritant. $399 is an improvement, but its still a rat race between which hardware offers a better selection of titles now, and which one has a comparable list still on the way out, and that will be a backbreaker for Sony this holiday season.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts
[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

[QUOTE="Darth_Tigris"] HiResDes

especially now that you can pick up a good HDTV for 500 to 1000 dollars.

Actually I never said that HDTV's aren't selling. Manufacturer's barely make any SDTV's anymore. But just because they are selling doesn't mean that a large number of households HAVE them. There is like some 276 million people in the US with probably close to the same number of TV's out there in homes. HDTV's would obviously be a small number of that.

And the fact that the FCC (or whoever) pushed back the rollover to full digital signals AGAIN to 2012 (it was 2007 at first, then pushed to 2009) is clearly based on the adoption rate of HDTV in the majority of households.

And, to truly bring it home, most of the friends of mine that bought a 360 don't have an HDTV (or at least didn't when they bought). I love HD and broadband, but they are still in a small number of homes relatively speaking.

Fire_Hurts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fire_Hurts
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts
More MGS4 for me :)
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

NOTE: I believe XBL has over 7 million subscribers worldwide, which is near 60% of all 360 owners. That's good.Darth_Tigris

What is the breakdown between gold and silver?

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#36 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts
[QUOTE="_Bear"]

Man what an echo.

Shame-usBlackley

If I'm not mistaken, due to hardware vs. software GB measurements and room set aside by Sony that the user can't access, the 60 GB hard drive has about... 44 GB available to the user, I believe? So your hard drive isn't down as far as it seems like.