Sony expects to sell 150 million PS3s

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Kaz Hirai, chief executive of Sony's PlayStation games console business, has set an ambitious target of reaching nearly 150m in sales for its slow-starting PlayStation 3 console.

Sony told those attending the video game industry's E3 convention last week that sales of its original PlayStation, launched in 1994, had reached 102m units and the PlayStation 2 console had now passed 140m worldwide in its ninth year on sale.
Mr Hirai, in a Financial Times interview, said his aim was for the PS3 to surpass sales of the PS2 over a similar time period.

"It's not fun for me replicating the PS2 numbers. I've seen that movie already," he said.

"I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?"

Twenty months after the PS3's release, the console is barely 10 per cent towards his target. Sales to the end of Sony's fiscal year in March were 12.85m and it expects to sell another 10m in the current fiscal year.

Source: Financial Times

At the rate that its selling, I strongly doubt Sony will be able to reach that quota, nor any other company for that matter. However, I do admire their attitude.

SexyMatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SexyMatters
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
Well it's always good to have high expectations.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44323 Posts
I seriously doubt the PS3 will ever sell that many or even reach PS2's numbers. The system would have to drop in price pretty rapidly and it's library of exclusive games would have to grow considerably. The way this generation is going the Wii will probably be the closest one to reach or possibly even surpass the PS2's numbers with the PS3 and 360 further behind in most likely a neck-and-neck race.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
Not going to happen imo, the PS3 is still an expensive console and I doubt it will have the variety and number of exclusives games the PS2 had. At this current pace, with the pricetag and 9 years being out it will be lucky to reach 75 million consoles sold.
cheetfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cheetfreak
Member since 2005 • 1986 Posts

Everyone has the right to dream...

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Yea it was easy back then because the economy was in good shape and gas was nice and cheap. You cant sell that much when people dont have money in their pockets for a 500 dollar console and 60 dollar games.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#7 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
I think its possible. The number of gamers is growing. I think we will continue to see higher numbers. I don't have a PS3 yet but I'm sure I will get one eventually.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts
while it is possible imho i dont see it happening unless they get some good exclusives and maybe a price drop but that my opinion
linklb4130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 linklb4130
Member since 2003 • 1737 Posts
sony can just keep dreaming. it would take like 15 years just to get 100 mill at the current price.
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

Sony is setting them selves up for a MAJOR disappointment IMO

portej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 portej
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

I can assure you, in all the years of this very short life that I have lived thus far, there is no better feeling, no better feeling in all the world than to prove the people who tell you "You can't," "You won't," "It's impossible," wrong. There is absolutely no better feeling than proving people who doubt you wrong. It is a feeling better than sex.

agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#12 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
That does sound silly, but hey the console war isn't over.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts
That's not realistic. These are different times. Not a significant enough amount of people are dropping DVD for Blu-Ray just yet. Plus there's Microsoft to consider and just how radically the landscape has changed from last gen whereas they're getting as much Japanese and miscellaneous third party support as Sony is. The two consoles may combine for that figure in that span of time, but I don't think the X360 or the PS3 will hit that amount individually, not without deep price cuts.
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

However, I do admire their attitude.

BladesOfAthena

I don't. Theyre not ambitious, theyre delusional. They think they have no competition and they just cant seem to grasp the fact that their console is the highest priced and dead last in the console war. Wake up Sony, you'll NEVER sell 150 mil PS3s
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts
Facepalm.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Yea it was easy back then because the economy was in good shape and gas was nice and cheap. You cant sell that much when people dont have money in their pockets for a 500 dollar console and 60 dollar games.DarKre

HEY! gas is 12 cents p/gallon in venuzvela ( whatev) and also about 12 cents in Egypt!!

If they can appeal to venezvelans and Egyptians, theyll be selling tons of PS3's!

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts
[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]

However, I do admire their attitude.

fluffy_kins

I don't. Theyre not ambitious, theyre delusional. They think they have no competition and they just cant seem to grasp the fact that their console is the highest priced and dead last in the console war. Wake up Sony, you'll NEVER sell 150 mil PS3s

I dont think they believe that. It's either another case of Kaz being Kaz, or some damage control letting their stock holders know that they wont abandon PS3 at least till the next eight year.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I don't see it. Second/third place finishers simply don't sell that many units.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 atejas
Member since 2008 • 520 Posts

I dont think they acn meet it within their target, but if they keep it for a long time, and focus on exclusives, they could meet the PS2, and maybe a bit better.

Microsoft as well, providing they focus on making their hardware more reliable, because 'warranty replacement' does not count as 'sale'

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
Its still early days really but the reason I can't see this happening is just how slow a process PS3 development is, and while the expenses keep rising the games are more likely to jump to multiplat. I wonder how long Sony are hoping to keep the PS3 as their flagship platform for to reach these figured? because I would imagine MS will launch a new console in 2-3 years.
69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
OK, Good Luck with that Sony, I'll get one when they have dropped in price dramatically and get some decent games.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

:lol: I think the end result is going to hit Kaz in his weak spot for massive damage.

Seriously, surpass the PS2's numbers, what with a completely different context, one that clearly precludes those kinds of sales figures? Sounds like Kaz drank the Kuturagi Kool-Aid or somethin'.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

sorry but thats dreaming...

well yea he should talk like that to give hope but lets get real, thats just a dream...

and to be honest, I dont think anything can surpass PS2 for a long time, not this gen for sure, maybe Wii though but even Wii cant surpass PS2 in software, and i doubt even next gen...

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
Well if there are a few price drops between now and the end of the 10 year life cycle maybe. It is an ambitious goal for sure. But I cant count them out just yet.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

If this was said if GTA4, Virtua Fighter V, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Star Ocean 4, and Final Fantasy XIII were still exclusive, then I'd believe it.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts

I wouldnt be so quick to write it off.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that I think its a distinct possibility.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts

There is no way PS3 will sell 150 million. That's half the population. PS3 is probably the worst deal out of the 3 next gen consoles, and it is the most expensive. With how bad the economy is doing, and it isn't getting any better...we'll see what happens 1/9/09...people aren't going to shell out $400 or $500 for a PS3, when there are few advantages to it, and very few exclusives. Wii is the most likely console to hit $150 million. Wii's attract people who aren't just hardcore gamers like us. My 4 year old cousin has a Wii. I don't know any four year olds with a 360 or PS3, and a lot of her friends have one. I know kids 9-13 who have Wii's. I know teens who have Wiis, and my neighbor has a Wii, and he's in college. Wiis attract the most diverse group, 360s will outsell Wii and PS3 in $$$$, but Wii's will sell the most!

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

:lol: Oh Kaz, never change.

It's fine to have expectations. I expect to earn enough money to buy three Ferraris this year, one of them pink. That doesn't mean that neither my expectations, nor his, are realistic or likely to be fulfilled.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

There is no way PS3 will sell 150 million. That's half the population.

giyanks22

half population ??

the world is not usa you know ?

Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

Hmmmm.......i'm gonna have to say that we should wait and see, because anything could happen.

However, I kinda doubt that they'll reach that number. I say 'kinda' because anything can happen. You may never know.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 atejas
Member since 2008 • 520 Posts

There is no way PS3 will sell 150 million. That's half the population. PS3 is probably the worst deal out of the 3 next gen consoles, and it is the most expensive. With how bad the economy is doing, and it isn't getting any better...we'll see what happens 1/9/09...people aren't going to shell out $400 or $500 for a PS3, when there are few advantages to it, and very few exclusives. Wii is the most likely console to hit $150 million. Wii's attract people who aren't just hardcore gamers like us. My 4 year old cousin has a Wii. I don't know any four year olds with a 360 or PS3, and a lot of her friends have one. I know kids 9-13 who have Wii's. I know teens who have Wiis, and my neighbor has a Wii, and he's in college. Wiis attract the most diverse group, 360s will outsell Wii and PS3 in $$$$, but Wii's will sell the most!

giyanks22

150 mil half the population of what?

besides, i doubt the 360m will make more money than the wii, even accounting for how cheap the wii is, it will probably outsell the 360 and the ps3 by an insane margin.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

giyanks22

Given that the PS3 has sold 50% more than the X360 in 2008 and that the X360's sales have declined year after year but MS still doesn't feel the need for a price cut (the X360 is closer to a mass market price than the PS3, but it still isn't there) I wouldn't bet on the X360 outselling anybody hardware-wise. Rhetoric to the contrary, MS just doesn't seem to care.

I agree with you (and everyone else in this thread) that Sony's target is unrealistic.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

giyanks22

I dunno, with the amount of features and quality titles that you get to play, I think the PS3 is a pretty damn good deal.

And the Wii isn't going to hit 150 million. If the PSOne or the PS2 can't, then no other console will. I reckon, that by the time the Wii reaches its prime, Nintendo will most likely release the successor to its console, which will cut into the Wii's sales just as the PS2 is was doing with the PS3.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

If this was said if GTA4, Virtua Fighter V, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Star Ocean 4, and Final Fantasy XIII were still exclusive, then I'd believe it.

ASK_Story
All that and sold for $199.
Cilindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cilindro
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
150 million? How? The nintendo DS doesn't even have that many units sold. Sony needs a reality check.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts
[QUOTE="giyanks22"]

CarnageHeart

Given that the PS3 has sold 50% more than the X360 in 2008 and that the X360's sales have declined year after year but MS still doesn't feel the need for a price cut (the X360 is closer to a mass market price than the PS3, but it still isn't there) I wouldn't bet on the X360 outselling anybody hardware-wise. Rhetoric to the contrary, MS just doesn't seem to care.

I agree with you (and everyone else in this thread) that Sony's target is unrealistic.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that the 360 will outsell the PS3 hardware-wise. They still have some room to make further price cuts or whip out the pocket book and sign on some nifty exclusives should they really begin to feel threatened.

Either way, this guy said "outsell the PS3 and Wii in $$$$$". I'm guessing by that he means sell more total software or generate a larger total of money spent on MS consoles than any other? I can believe that.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It seems very unrealistic, but I'll take one positive message from it:

Sony obviously intends to support its new console for many years... hopefully more than even the PS2.

Once there's a slim-line PS3 selling for $150 (years down the road) we may see PS2-like sales, who knows? The hardware has plenty of room to grow, the games are coming and holiday season 2008 should be really big for blu-ray sales.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
The PS3 as a video game console will never come close to the PSOne or PS2 in sales. The exclusives and the library of the previous Sony systems aren't there, and the PS3 is facing much tougher competition from MS and Nintendo. The only chance the PS3 has of hitting 150,000,000 units sold is if blu-ray takes off and the PS3 can offer the most bang for the buck as a blu-ray player. \HDTV is really taking off and blu-ray movies are starting to hit that $20 sweet spot. I intend to pick up an HDTV and a PS3 in the near future. The PS3 is not a must own for me from a video game standpoint, but I'm ready to make the switch to blu-ray. If you want both blu-ray and a good piece of video game hardware then the PS3 is a good value. Drop it another $100 and sales could really take off.