Some games that disappointed you,graphics-wise this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

What are the games that had bad graphics for 7th generation ones?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Dunno.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I find it really difficult to be disappointed by visuals because

1: They aren't that important to me

2: you pretty much see tons of footage and pictures before the game releases

It's more common that a game surprises me with its visuals like Bayonetta and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

None really, I usually don't pay much attention to the graphics. As long as the game runs smoothly, I'm fine.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Easily it would be Disgaea, this game is due for an updated in visuals and I was disappointed they didn't go with cel-shading over sprites.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Dragon Age Origins, that was straight off the PS2. Terrible frame rate too.

Mass Effect 2 had some downright ugly parts in it as well, looking more like 2-D drawings instead of CG. The majority of the game looked fine though.

Hunted The Demon's Forge - the graphics for the characters were way below average. Everything else looked pretty good though.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

none gameplay is my main focus

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Dragon Age 2/thread
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yusuke420

Saying visuals aren't important is a cop-out. Either pick something or say nothing, this isn't a debate about being a graphics whore!

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

Saying visuals aren't important is a cop-out. Either pick something or say nothing, this isn't a debate about being a graphics whore!

Yusuke420

not really idk why alot of people like to focus on graphics if the gameplay is solid then i dont see why it would matter sure it's a bonus but not a must

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I really can't say. I'm going to use that old argument that they don't matter that much to me, so I really don't have any sort of standard. Sure, I like ncie graphics as much as the next guy but they aren't terribly important to me.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Resistance 3

BygByron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BygByron3
Member since 2003 • 5572 Posts

RAGE on the PC

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Any Valve games. Besides Fallout they have the worst graphics of this generation, They're not bad graphics, they are very good graphics, but they are last generation graphics.

How long have they been using that engine? Sh*t i think its older the the Call Of Duty engine. The graphics for Left 4 Dead & Portal 2 look no better than Half Life 2. Im not kidding or exaggerating, they literally are the same level of graphics as A last generation XBOX title such as Half LIfe 2.

When i was going through the underground in Portal 2, going through the offices, the detail to the objects, the textures, it all felt like it was ripped straight out of HL2

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts
Pretty much everything after Crysis. That includes Crysis 2, which looks terrible in comparison.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#16 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

BioShock 2. The PC version of the game actually ended up looking worse than its predecessor, which was released 3 years earlier.

FEAR 3. Some really blurry textures and just an overall unpolished and messy look. A shame because FEAR 2 is a pretty good-looking game even now.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Saints Row 2 was definitely not the looker, but that game is still an eary 9.5/10 because graphics don't matter.

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerdude375
Member since 2012 • 204 Posts

It's not so much graphics, it's more the visual presentation that disappoints me...anyway, these are the games or things this generation that I didn't find visually appealing....

- Many Unreal Engine 3 games, particularly Gears of War series - Most aggrevating is texture pop-in that seems prevailent in many UE3 games...it can literally pull you out of a game. Also, in combination with this, games like the Gears series using the brown and grey color palette...UE3 may have been hyped when it released, but many of the Unreal Engine 3 games, particularly Gears, don't seem to be games that age well over time.

- Rage - A game that just didn't have anything special about it visually, especially given the pre-release hype. That's not even getting into the poor optimization and horrendous texture pop-in.

- Call of Duty 2 - Felt and looked like an expansion then a real sequel. Pretty sure was also missing body and environmental physics....which by late 2005 was pretty commonplace.

- Halo 3 - Graphics didn't look good at all imo. visual presentation didn't stand out as particularly good.

- Modern Warfare 2, BlackOps, Modern Warfare 3 - Just seemed to be doing the same visual presentation that we had back in 2007.

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamerdude375

F.E.A.R. 2 - A big letdown, especially when the original F.E.A.R. was so great for it's time.

F.E.A.R. 3 - Even worse then F.E.A.R. 2.....and worse then the original F.E.A.R. from 2005.

Every Silent Hill since Silent Hill 4, including that game - Silent Hill 3 was one of the best looking games of last gen.....but with Silent Hill 4, it's like the visuals and graphics got worse...and worse....and worse...with each new installment. It's amazing that a game from 2003 manages to look better then games in the series that were released in 2010.

Silent Hill HD Collection - Worst HD collection every. How do you mess this up so bad?

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Dragon Age Origins didn't look to well and the frame rate was pretty rough. Mass Effect 2 and 3 frame rates could've been a lot better.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I would say Witcher 2. Visually I see all those areas in other games. Witchter 2 had more details, but it did nothing to make area its own.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

mass effect 2

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

SWToR looked like ass on release, and still does today

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Skyward Sword: Jaggies everywhere, hard to see things. Twilight princess looks better...
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Never been disappointed by graphics except when i put in Crysis 2 and BF3, but thats because they hyped the graphics like crazy and they were full of jaggies and tech problems.

Not really the games fault, just stupid pointless internet hype.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
None, I still play games like Geneforge.
cutebrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cutebrute
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts

Halo 3 and Halo Reach. There were too many jaggies and pop-ins in both games, the temporal AA in Reach looked awful and ruined many of the animations, and Halo 3 was really low poly with some of the most uneven texture work I've seen on a AAA game this gen.

I don't want to bag on these games too much, because they are some of my favorites this gen, and Halo 3 did have some fantastic water and lighting effects, but I did expect more from MS' AAAE franchise in the graphics department. Fortunately, it looks like Halo 4 will have visuals to match the gameplay.

Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

almasdeathchild

not really idk why alot of people like to focus on graphics if the gameplay is solid then i dont see why it would matter sure it's a bonus but not a must

adds to immersion and believability, especially in narrative driven and artistic games, so yes visuals are important, but obviously not as much as other elements

SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SkinnyJeans1995

On topic, The Witcher 2(console), Battlefield 3(consoles), God of War 3, Alan Wake(when it was 360 exclusive, it was praised for graphics, and some 360 fanboys claimed it looks better than Uncharted 2), Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Catherine, Catherine, Heavy Rain, Rage, all the next gen Ratchet and Clank games(so many reviews say they rival pixar movies. That is complete BS), and inFamous

EDIT:How could I forget the entire Call of Duty series this gen?

SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SkinnyJeans1995

F.E.A.R. 2 - A big letdown, especially when the original F.E.A.R. was so great for it's time.

F.E.A.R. 3 - Even worse then F.E.A.R. 2.....and worse then the original F.E.A.R. from 2005.

Every Silent Hill since Silent Hill 4, including that game - Silent Hill 3 was one of the best looking games of last gen.....but with Silent Hill 4, it's like the visuals and graphics got worse...and worse....and worse...with each new installment. It's amazing that a game from 2003 manages to look better then games in the series that were released in 2010.

Silent Hill HD Collection - Worst HD collection every. How do you mess this up so bad?

gamerdude375
Silent Hill 4 looking worse than 3 I can possibly agree with, but even the current gen Silent Hills? Homecoming and Downpour have much better graphics than 3. That is not debatable.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Infamous is rather ugly.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

for me(and i play mostly pc and some ps3 and psp)

sc: conviction--acceptably graphics at best...but it ran horribly on my computer...i can max crysis warhead and the witcher 2(without ubersampling) but this game doesnt look nearly pretty enough for me to have less than 20fps in the last few levels of the game

dragon age 2--i literally cannot max this game...and it look like s*** compared to other rpgs that came out that year (namely the witcher 2)

skyrim--so hyped up and toted as the next coming of chri...i mean the elder scrolls...yet the graphics on release for pc were very much a let down...while better than oblivion...they weren't 6 years worth of better graphics (morrowind to oblivion level of jump is what i was looking for...6 years gap each time)

swtor--the supposed wow killer...and yet there were fps issues all around...no reason i should ge 60+fps out side...but the moment i walk inside i get around ~20fps due to shadows...and this is an issue that ive heard alot about...its not THAT pretty...i should get around the same fps as i do wow...yet wow is stable...constant 60fps for me

wolfenstein--idk why but i expected alot more out of it

rage--again...a game that isnt THAT pretty that i should be gettin at least playable frames on when maxed, yet on release all i got was pop-in and i had to mess with the ini's to even get to max the textures...then after the patch...bleh...not even playable frames at the same textures i had to cache completely in my vram before the patch...

deus ex human revolution--i love the presentation and i love the environments, but the character models...some of them needed some help...got fairly good facial animations with circa 1999 hair textures and circa 2004 clothing...

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Halo Reach was a great disapointment when I first played it. I remember putting into my 360 ready to play it whith a frient od my mine. After we saw the game we turned the thing off and started googling it to see if there was something wrong because it was one of the jaggiest and ugliest things we have seen in quite a while.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Ppl may have mentioned this,but.

Nier.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Yusuke420

Halo Reach was a great disapointment when I first played it. I remember putting into my 360 ready to play it whith a frient od my mine. After we saw the game we turned the thing off and started googling it to see if there was something wrong because it was one of the jaggiest and ugliest things we have seen in quite a while.

rzepak

What a bad liar you are good sir!

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

[QUOTE="rzepak"]

Yusuke420

What a bad liar you are good sir!

I would be if that story werent true.

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamerdude375

Silent Hill 4 looking worse than 3 I can possibly agree with, but even the current gen Silent Hills? Homecoming and Downpour have much better graphics than 3. That is not debatable.SkinnyJeans1995

Actually...no they don't, particularly when put up against the PC version of Silent Hill 3 (which was released back in 2003) which sported high res textures and resolutions.

This is a video of SH3 PC being played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2-lhbiKGE

....I think it looks better then Homecoming and Downpour.....Homecoming and Downpour may have more effects, but the character models and environmental detail in SH3 from 2003 looks better.
Especially in various sections, like in that video from the 3 minute mark on up to her getting to the rollercoaster, or the 19 minute mark where she is shooting the dog in the supply closet and you can see the fluid shadows....again, this game is from 2003.

To me, the character detail in Homecoming and Downpour don't look as good as this:

silenthill3_790screen009.jpg

Strathdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Strathdor
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts
Most games after the PS2 era ended have been pretty disappointing.