So I'm disappointed by the MGS HD Collection...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

There's one reason why I am not happy with this collection.

They say that the most popular games are in the collection. If that's the case...

Then why is the original MGS not available in this collection??? I would have bought the collection if it was a complete collection, but that's sadly not the case. And of course, there's Metal Gear Solid 4, which still remains a PS4 exclusive and I keep hearing it's the best Metal Gear to date. Yes, I'm sure that game was not included because it's that big of a game to be part of the collection, so that one doesn't matter to me as much. But the original Metal Gear Solid was very popular back in its heyday...so why it wasn't included is beyond me at this point in time!

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

If you had a PS3, you could just download MGS1 from the PSN store store for only $10.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If you had a PS3, you could just download MGS1 from the PSN store store for only $10.S0lidSnake
But why hasn't it been made available on XBLA? And why has MGS4 remained exclusive? These are legitimate criticisms. A "MGS Collection" should include the first and last main canon entries in a series.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

I agree 100% with you, i would have bought it if it had had the original mgs, if its supposed to be a collection then why leave the best one out? The original mgs will always be my favorite, im very disappointed.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]If you had a PS3, you could just download MGS1 from the PSN store store for only $10.foxhound_fox
But why hasn't it been made available on XBLA? And why has MGS4 remained exclusive? These are legitimate criticisms. A "MGS Collection" should include the first and last main canon entries in a series.

You are complaining about a colleciton that includes three games. One of them with a full fledged online component. How many HD collections come with three games all running at 60 fps, let alone with online functionality? The answer is none.

We are talking about a series with over 6 games in the past 12 years. Unless you want to pay up $120 for the collection (which no one will), Konami has to look at what they can improve and work from there. They can do absolutely nothing to the original MGS that the PC version cant. ANY PC or laptop nowadays should be able to run MGS1 easily. What is Konami going to do, remake the whole thing? Oh wait they did that already. Should they include that as well? Personally, I would rahter have Peace Walker with online coop than a 13 year old game that is available on FIVE different platforms. (PC,PS1,PS3,PSP,GC) Sometimes complaining just for the sake of complaining gets old.

Also asking why MGS4 has remained exclusive is like asking why Gears has remained exclusive. It's an excluisve because it's an exclusive. If I want to play Halo, I will buy a 360. I wont complain about it being a Xbox exclusive.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
The problem with MGS4 is it can never really be on Xbox due to the Single Player alone is like, 25GB-30GB, and MGO (which is one of my favorite online games ever) is another 20GB We're talking swapping like 3-4 disc for story mode, and at least 2 for multiplayer. A total package of 5-6 discs. All I want is peace walker, so i'll buy the collection when its $20 (which should be around spring 2012) and in the meantime I'd rather replay MGS3 in 3D personally, even if it isn't as good as a value to buy both the 3DS version of Snake Eater and the eventual cheaper HD Collection
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
Actually 3 is the best in the series imo. You could always watch someone play through the first game on youtube if you really wanted to know the story. Otherwise buy a PS3.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

Whilst there is no actual word on why MGS4 has remained exclusive to PS3 I'm sure Sony has had a word with Konami and set up a deal with them for it's exclusivity. Plus you could also be asking that same question as to why Portable Ops hasn't made it onto the collection.

EDIT: Plus 3 is the best one to date and don't let it discourage you if you have not played a Metal Gear game before, that game alone is worth this collection. Read up on MGS1 (the story isn't that complex or long) and then play 2, 3 and the Peace Walker and you'll be fine. Plus 4 was overrated by critics, it's probably the worse (still good) but the worse one out of the series.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

The problem with MGS4 is it can never really be on Xbox due to the Single Player alone is like, 25GB-30GB, and MGO (which is one of my favorite online games ever) is another 20GB We're talking swapping like 3-4 disc for story mode, and at least 2 for multiplayer. A total package of 5-6 discs. All I want is peace walker, so i'll buy the collection when its $20 (which should be around spring 2012) and in the meantime I'd rather replay MGS3 in 3D personally, even if it isn't as good as a value to buy both the 3DS version of Snake Eater and the eventual cheaper HD Collectionbonesawisready5
you havent heard of compression?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

I assuming MGS1 isn't included due to the fact it's kinda hard to justify putting a fifth-generation era game into a collection that is solely focused on a "HD" re-releases. Not much you can do to a game on an engine running that old that'll make it look like HD aside from upscaling it and that'll look like crap. I mean how many HD collections/re-releases have we seen that include fifth generation games? None.

And MSG4 is a PS3 exclusive, simple as that.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
This is my main problem with the collection as well. As far as I know, there's been no official reason why MGS 1 wasn't included. If you are going to have a MGS collection, why not include the original 3d game which made the franchise so popular? It doesn't make any sense to me.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

This is my main problem with the collection as well. As far as I know, there's been no official reason why MGS 1 wasn't included. If you are going to have a MGS collection, why not include the original 3d game which made the franchise so popular? It doesn't make any sense to me.Just-Breathe

it's an HD collection.

What;s the point of converting MGS1 to HD?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Metamania

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"]This is my main problem with the collection as well. As far as I know, there's been no official reason why MGS 1 wasn't included. If you are going to have a MGS collection, why not include the original 3d game which made the franchise so popular? It doesn't make any sense to me.S0lidSnake

it's an HD collection.

That's not the point.

The point is, if it's supposed to be a collection of the most popular games in the series, why wasn't MGS 1 included?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"]This is my main problem with the collection as well. As far as I know, there's been no official reason why MGS 1 wasn't included. If you are going to have a MGS collection, why not include the original 3d game which made the franchise so popular? It doesn't make any sense to me.Metamania

it's an HD collection.

That's not the point.

The point is, if it's supposed to be a collection of the most popular games in the series, why wasn't MGS 1 included?

Snake is right, this is an HD collection. That would mean if MSG1 was included then if would have to get some kind of HD treatment and doing that to a game as old as MSG1 would yield some some lame results. If this was purely a "Collection" like the Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection that was released last gen then I would understand your frustration but this is purely and HD re-release.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

it's an HD collection.

AcidSoldner

That's not the point.

Snake is right, this is an HD collection. That would mean if MSG1 was included then if would have to get some kind of HD treatment and doing that to a game as old as MSG1 would yield some some lame results. If this was purely a "Collection" like the Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection that was released last gen then I would understand your frustration but this is purely and HD re-release.

And MGS 1 wouldn't do well in HD, you're saying? What if it was The Twin Snakes Gamecube version that Nintendo got?

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 greenskittles

Ultimately speaking you probably will have tremendous trouble playing MGS1 13 years after it's come out. It won't make sense for a new generation to play it, because it's so outdated. I'd be nice to have yes, but if someone buys this HD collection and tries MGS1, it will potentially leave a bad taste in their mouths. Plus it was always like this, why is this a problem for you now? Enjoy what's there, seek out MGS1 on PSN or eBay if you must, but don't miss out on this collection despite it.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

That's not the point.

Metamania

And MGS 1 wouldn't do well in HD, you're saying? What if it was The Twin Snakes Gamecube version that Nintendo got?

That there, I would very much agree with! But sadly I don't think that's gonna happen :(
TransFishers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TransFishers
Member since 2011 • 263 Posts
And MGS 1 wouldn't do well in HD, you're saying? What if it was The Twin Snakes Gamecube version that Nintendo got?Metamania
Nintendo still has it, I guess for the same reason they still have REmake and RE: Zero on their systems only.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

That's not the point.

Metamania

KojiPro didn't do Twin Snakes and most MGS fans hate the cinematics. I can compeltely understand Konami staying clear of something they did not develop.

Also, adding another game to the collection would've made it cost $80. Would you have paid $80 for the MGS HD collection?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I'd have much rather ended up with an HD MGS remake than MGS2 simply because the events in Snake Eater and Peace Walker correlate more directly to the events in the original Metal Gear Solid, while MGS2 is the first turd in the MGS4 punchbowl. But whatever -- you get Snake Eater, one of the best (if not THE best) games ever made. That alone is worth the cost of admission.

And to those in the thread who are pining for MGS4 to come to Xbox, don't bother -- it's trash. Play the games in the series that were GOOD and then just pretend it ended after Snake Eater or Peace Walker. You can thank me later. :)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 still remains a PS4 exclusiveMetamania
I'm pretty sure I played that on PS3 :P
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Well not only can you download it for PS3 for $10, but you can also find it MUCH cheaper then that online. I got MGS1 6 years ago for $5, and as a PSone game you can still play it on PS3.

If you have Xbox, then tough luck I guess, but even then I'd find it hard to believe you don't own a PSone, PS2 or PC made any time in the last 10 years that could play it (its on PC too right? I remember that, but I might remember it wrong. Pretty sure it is though).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44376 Posts
Yeah it is a shame that MGS4 didn't get ported to the 360 because it's a really fantastic game. It would have been nice if the first MGS was also included be this collection is still a really great package because MGS3 is amazing on it's own and MGS wasn't really all that bad. I haven't played Peace Walker but am really looking forward to it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]Metal Gear Solid 4 still remains a PS4 exclusiveBlack_Knight_00
I'm pretty sure I played that on PS3 :P

I blame my typing for the error. :P

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

I totally understand & can relate. The Silent hill HD collection is coming out & it only includes 2 & 3 & all i can think is why not 1 & 4. 4 can be converted to HD so why not have 2,3,4, all of whcih were ps2 games.

As far as i know ps1 games would make no sense to convert to HD, it would just make them look worse. Im not even sure on whether they can produce a ps1 title HD. Either way the way to solve this issue is to atleast give out voucher codes for people to download MGS1 on PSN. They should do the same with Silent hill 1 for its collection as well.

As far as MGS4 goes its already in HD so it wouldnt make any sense for the collection anyways. I also think most MGS fans will have already purchased 4. Nobody wants to be charged twice. Also have to take in the fact that these collections are on both systens & MGS4 is a SONY exclusive.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"]This is my main problem with the collection as well. As far as I know, there's been no official reason why MGS 1 wasn't included. If you are going to have a MGS collection, why not include the original 3d game which made the franchise so popular? It doesn't make any sense to me.S0lidSnake

it's an HD collection.

I still don't understand the point of converting ANY game into HD.

As for the complaints of MGS, Konami isn't going to invest the money into completely retooling a 32-bit game into HD quality. That would be compelely uneconomical. They would have to make a whole new game for that to happen.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I totally understand & can relate. The Silent hill HD collection is coming out & it only includes 2 & 3 & all i can think is why not 1 & 4. 4 can be converted to HD so why not have 2,3,4, all of whcih were ps2 games.

brucecambell

I'm thinking Konami doesn't consider SH4 to be a part of the main series, which is unfortunate. Minus the terrible inventory system, the game was pretty solid.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

QuistisTrepe_

I'm thinking Konami doesn't consider SH4 to be a part of the main series, which is unfortunate. Minus the terrible inventory system, the game was pretty solid.

I disliked having to play through the same areas twice, the lack of a flashlight, the lack of puzzles, the companion (she was no Yorda, she wasn't even an Ashley) and the indestructible villian who one could only deal with at the end (unlike Nemesis it didn't even go through any interesting metamorphises). In terms of gore and creep factor, it did have some great scenes though (the crying baby faces that bubbled through the wall of one's apartment is something I will never forget). *Shrugs* But reasonable people can disagree.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I can understand not wanting to do an HD version of the original MGS, but why not just do an HD version of Twin Snakes?
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 greenskittles

I can understand not wanting to do an HD version of the original MGS, but why not just do an HD version of Twin Snakes? JustPlainLucas

Unfortunately it's most likely impossible. Konami must have had some deal reached with Nintendo to keep it exclusive, plus there are some Nintendo easter eggs in that game, including cutscenes.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

It's the same thing with Silent Hill, with the original not being included. Not that I would buy the HD collection anyway.

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

Yeah, the first game should have been included. Fortunately I have it for the NGC.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I was going to sell my Wii, but I probably won't now because I own Twin Snakes, and always want to be able to go back and replay it every few years. (Wii U won't allow you to play Gamecube games, sadly.) So if you are complaining about the absence of MGS1, and you own a Wii, the choice is clear: get yourself a copy of Twin Snakes pronto. I know I look forward to playing it right before the HD MGS box set comes out.
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

I was going to sell my Wii, but I probably won't now because I own Twin Snakes, and always want to be able to go back and replay it every few years. (Wii U won't allow you to play Gamecube games, sadly.) So if you are complaining about the absence of MGS1, and you own a Wii, the choice is clear: get yourself a copy of Twin Snakes pronto. I know I look forward to playing it right before the HD MGS box set comes out. donalbane

inorite! isn't it awesome??? I want to start playing it again!

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts

So if you are complaining about the absence of MGS1, and you own a Wii, the choice is clear: get yourself a copy of Twin Snakes pronto. I know I look forward to playing it right before the HD MGS box set comes out. donalbane

Copies of Twin Snakes are unfortunately hard to come by, and expensive.

Also, I can't help but think of Macbeth every time I see your username :lol: