So I just played Super Mario Bros 2 on NES for the first time....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

What do you guys think about Super Mario Bros 2? I have played Super Mario Bros 1 a good amount although I have not beat it yet. In the last 2 days I played a ton of Super Mario Bros. 1. Tonight I decided to finally try my copy of Super Mario Bros 2 which I had never played.

That game is so freaking nuts. I know it is basically just some other Japanese game with Mario sprites injected in it. And that explains the craziness of it I guess, but that game still is just blowing my mind.The enemies and environments are just so ridiculous.

Also, I think the gameplay in the first Super Mario Bros game is like 100 times better. However, the crazy enemies, environments, and bosses in SMB2 is making me want to beat it just so I can see all the trippy crap in that game lol.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Super Mario Bros. 2 is my favorite Mario game. Seriously. I love the craziness of it.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

It's a massive deviation from the rest of the series, but I like it. It was nice too see a villian besides Bowser for once.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#4 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I absolutely love the original take on SMB2. It's a little short though, but I've beaten it about a dozen times by now. It's fun to do a single run.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Right after Super Mario Bros. 3 SMB2 is my favorite Mariogame of all time. I found it oddly relaxing ^^

kitchenwindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 kitchenwindow
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

Even though Super Mario Bros. 2 is referred to as the "Black sheep" of the Mario series, I quite enjoyed it. For one reason in particular, the fact that everyone had their own character specific sprite, so Luigi was no longer a palette swap of Mario.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Even though Super Mario Bros. 2 is referred to as the "Black sheep" of the Mario series, I quite enjoyed it. For one reason in particular, the fact that everyone had their own character specific sprite, so Luigi was no longer a palette swap of Mario.

kitchenwindow

yeah and the fact that each character behaves differently. mario is my favorite to use, but sometimes it is easier to beat a level using Toad, Luigi or Princess. That ICE level really drives me nuts though. I hate the slipping and sliding all over the place. But yeah, its definately the black sheep, but in a good way. sometimes a change of pace is nice.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

When Supermario Brothers 2 was first released. My game pal way back in 1986 got a copy on launch day. The verdict was that the game sucked. At the time it just wasn't the standard mario game that we had expected. However this game does grow on you some what.

Avatar image for TigerCatBrandon
TigerCatBrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 TigerCatBrandon
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

SMB2 is A Marioized eddtiion of Doki Doki Panic from Fuji Television in Japan

Game Spot Doki Doki Panic:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/company/index.php?company=73277

YouTube SMB2 vs Doki Doki (Very Informative)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjYYFOGE3k

I adored SMB2. I found it to be very different and neat. You will also notice it has a Middle-Eastern theme which is interesting and different. Did this game inspire the Prince of Persia? The only thing is I worried all this cooky stuff was the future of Mario.

The truly unique aspect of SMB2 that I appreciated was you could throw game elements you find at enemies (including the boss eggs they throw at you). The concept of using lots of unique found wepons them is well loved in Kirby and MegaMan.

And what is cooler than forgetting about saving the princess again, and instead, and flying through an entire level floating on her dress?

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

mario madness FTW!!!:P the best thing about Doki doki panic is that all the enemies are reused in the other mario games and some music is placed in those games

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Daavpuke
I don't think anyone outside Japan associates the game with Doki Doki Panic anyway.
Avatar image for TigerCatBrandon
TigerCatBrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 TigerCatBrandon
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

You've got to see the comparison in the Doki Doki vs SMB2 video. They took the origional Doki Doki and replaced the sprites with Mario characters. The game isn't really a mario game!

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Daavpuke

You've got to see the comparison in the Doki Doki vs SMB2 video. They took the origional Doki Doki and replaced the sprites with Mario characters. The game isn't really a mario game!

TigerCatBrandon

My point is, that to everyone in the world, this now IS a Mario game, whether they stole it back in the day or not. Given that the Mario franchise from then on has continued with shyguys; bo-bombs; television series with birdo's, mousers; items like turnips and radishes and so forth and so on, makes that everyone associates this with Mario. Mario made this game, DDP did not.

Oh, and could you please, as a favor to me, change your font/color. It burns my eyes trying to read your opinions.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
to me its like a relaxing puzzle game.. its one of my favorites..
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Yeah, it's a fun game. So who cares if it's ripped off or not,.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

I adored SMB2. I found it to be very different and neat. You will also notice it has a Middle-Eastern theme which is interesting and different. Did this game inspire the Prince of Persia? The only thing is I worried all this cooky stuff was the future of Mario.

TigerCatBrandon

history fail, if anything the original prince of persia inspired doki doki panic as the original prince of persia was one of the first pc games..... (and seeing as how they're nothing at all alike, i don't think it did)it also inspired, well, all the other prince of persias too.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

[QUOTE="TigerCatBrandon"]

z4twenny

history fail, if anything the original prince of persia inspired doki doki panic as the original prince of persia was one of the first pc games..... (and seeing as how they're nothing at all alike, i don't think it did)it also inspired, well, all the other prince of persias too.

Ummm, not that I think they got the idea of Prince of Persia off of SMB2, but SMB2 was released before Prince of Persia.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Introducing Doki Doki Panic as Super Mario Bros. 2 for the Western markets was a very wise decision. Something about introducing Mario and his friends to that weird setting simply worked. I don't think porting the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 to the Western markets would have worked as well as mixing Mario and Doki Doki Panic.