So I buy one game a year now, if that.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

What's up with games today, you pay $80 to get the preorder bonus then another $40 or so for DLC. They've essentially doubled in price but the content hasn't really increased. Meanwhile it's impossible to share a save with your friend without having to use third party software to decrypt and re-encrypt it. You can't borrow a game either because of online passes. Is it any wonder people are saying consoles are going the way of the dodo and the desktop PC?

If you've been gaming since at least the 90s I'd like to know if you're enjoying today's games as much as those in the past. I can't seem to get excited for anything but a handful of series I grew up with.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
I've been gaming since the early 90s and I still love playing games. I do my research on games I buy so I try to spend my money wisely :)
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Buy cheap online. I still find plenty of games (all cheap) to buy every year.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I've been buying a bunch of older gen games to fill the void for the lack of amazing games this generation.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44343 Posts
I've been gaming since the '70's and I'm enjoying gaming now more then ever. I buy about 3 to 4 games a month on average. Most of the games I buy are $60 but I also buy a lot of them for $40 - $20 as well as games nowadays either have special deals or drop pretty quickly in price. I also buy my fair share of dlc as well but I think the times I spent $40+ on dlc for any one game is very very rare if at all.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I have no problem at all with the creative output of this generation's games (at least those that don't involve motion garbage), but yeah, the pricing has become pretty much bullshlt. I solved that problem by not giving them my money until they give me the complete package. I get a great game, with all the extra content, usually at a reduced price, and all it costs me is just a little more time spent waiting, which I have NO problem with. Problem solved. Unfortunately, the publisher and developer end up losing out, because at one point, I bought their games without needing the extra content, because I felt the relationship was one of mutual respect -- don't fvck me and I won't fvck you. But that changed this generation, and I began feeling like there an expectation on the part of publishers to wring me out like a dishrag and shake me down for every cent they could. So I simply did the only thing I could do: I stopped supporting them with Day One business.

Perhaps when publishers begin valuing my business again by offering me the complete experience of a game from the start, I'll start rewarding them with Day One sales again. And it's not like I'm being cheap, either -- I had zero problem with developers getting an arbitrary 20% raise on every single game -- but things have gone too far in the other direction. I had begun to feel for a while like the publishers felt I needed them more than they needed me, and, well, based on the sales charts from pretty much this entire year, I'd say they were dead wrong. I would be shltting my pants right now if I were a publisher, and trying everything I could to hold on to every possible valuable customer who buys games regularly -- NOT pissing them off.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Yes, I definately do still enjoy gaming as much as I did in the past! that has never changed. While this year has been pretty empty for new games so far, there are quite a lot coming out starting at the end of this month. The only thing that has changed is I kind of miss the old Resident Evil and Tomb Raider games. While they are still good, I do miss the old style a bit, especially Tomb Raider, such as Tomb Raider I and II. Those games are just awesome! But we have many new series and games coming out and which have come out in the past few years too. Gaming is still great, it's just that you have to find the games that suit you :). Maybe it's something that can't be changed for you though, seeing as though your problem seems to be with the DLC and the online passes, saving and whatnot?
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Not so bad with a decent job. But what I do is wait for steam sales. Saves loads of money. I just have to wait a little longer which is no problem with single player games.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
dlc / pre order bonuses are optional ADDITIONAL content.. not worrying about that crap.. i get the full experience without having to pay any extra.. also if you are smart..u wont pay RRP and shop smart.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I buy most of my games from the bargain bin for $15 - $30 or so. Occasionally I'l go as high as $40. If I buy DLC, which is almost never, it's about $5. Don't have any idea what you're talking about as far as third party encryption with multiplayer. On those extremely rare occasions I do multiplayer, I just go to the multiplayer menu and join in.

There are still plenty of games I really enjoy playing. Right now I'm working on Skyrim; I'm sure I'll get 200-300 hours worth of fun out of it, and I paid $28.78 for it. After that it will be Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (paid a whole $40 for that), then I've got Bayonetta ($17.00), LA Noire ($17.00) and the Sims 3 ($30.00) in the queue.

percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

I buy lots of games EVERY YEAR.

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#12 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

If you think there's only one good game a year, you may want to consider taking up a new hobby. I agree that this year's off to a bit of a slow start, but most of the great games come out in Q3-Q4.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

I have no problem at all with the creative output of this generation's games (at least those that don't involve motion garbage), but yeah, the pricing has become pretty much bullshlt. I solved that problem by not giving them my money until they give me the complete package. I get a great game, with all the extra content, usually at a reduced price, and all it costs me is just a little more time spent waiting, which I have NO problem with. Problem solved. Unfortunately, the publisher and developer end up losing out, because at one point, I bought their games without needing the extra content, because I felt the relationship was one of mutual respect -- don't fvck me and I won't fvck you. But that changed this generation, and I began feeling like there an expectation on the part of publishers to wring me out like a dishrag and shake me down for every cent they could. So I simply did the only thing I could do: I stopped supporting them with Day One business.

Perhaps when publishers begin valuing my business again by offering me the complete experience of a game from the start, I'll start rewarding them with Day One sales again. And it's not like I'm being cheap, either -- I had zero problem with developers getting an arbitrary 20% raise on every single game -- but things have gone too far in the other direction. I had begun to feel for a while like the publishers felt I needed them more than they needed me, and, well, based on the sales charts from pretty much this entire year, I'd say they were dead wrong. I would be shltting my pants right now if I were a publisher, and trying everything I could to hold on to every possible valuable customer who buys games regularly -- NOT pissing them off.

Shame-usBlackley
^This applies to me as well.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

I usually get games very cheap from steam later after they've been out for a while. The only games I buy new tend to be from Nintendo because I know I'll enjoy them. Also getting Halo 4 limited for $88(newegg sale) which is a lot for a games, but I know I'll get at least 500 hours out this game if it stays the current halo for 2 years. Hopefully they give it at least 2-3 years before Halo 5.

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

I play games much like I watch movies.I do it to relax and if I like the look of one I get it,but I don't buy new..why would you?I wait a few months and then get it £20/25 cheaper.I've played loads of games this gen,I guess the fact games are less gamey and more cinematic these days appeals to me,although I can see why that would annoy a lot of more core gamers.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I buy more than one game a year, but a lot of them are used or older games I missed out on originally.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

. I do my research on games I buy so I try to spend my money wisely :)LessThanMike
this. I usually only buy 2 or 3 new games a year and research them to make sure that I will enjoy them. Actually so far this year I have only bought 1 brand new game and 2 older less than $20 games. I do however plan on getting AC3 before the end of the year, but that only brings me to 2 new games.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

I've been buying a bunch of older gen games to fill the void for the lack of amazing games this generation.

Bigboi500

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#19 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I buy lots

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I buy cheap online, but I only buy 3-4 games a year. Not that I don't have money, it's just that these days there are few games that really get my attention.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
I tend to only buy games at reduced prices nowerdays. Gears of war 3 and mass effect 3 I picked up pre-owned and the two games I bought on steam we're pretty cheep aswell. One of assassins creed 3 or halo 4 might be the only game I pay full price for this entire year. Anyway I still buy quite a few games a year still, however I don't see that carrying on as I'm getting less and less time to be able to play games.
Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts
I've been gaming since the 90's and I still love gaming more than ever! There are so many good games out right now its unbelievable.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I've been old school gaming lately, it's still lots of fun and very cheap. The last new game I bought was Xenoblade back in April lol.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I've been old school gaming lately, it's still lots of fun and very cheap. The last new game I bought was Xenoblade back in April lol.bowserjr123
Yeah, definately. While I haven't been playing old games much lately (been busy with two new games actually), I have two old games in line soon (played them years ago, but brought them again recently). Old games still are a lot of fun to play and buy as well, just as you said :).
oakengroves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 oakengroves
Member since 2012 • 50 Posts

I usually purchase approximately 5 games of year. I'm an RPG fan, and most games that I purchase come packed with a large amount of gameplay.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]I've been old school gaming lately, it's still lots of fun and very cheap. The last new game I bought was Xenoblade back in April lol.Ashley_wwe
Yeah, definately. While I haven't been playing old games much lately (been busy with two new games actually), I have two old games in line soon (played them years ago, but brought them again recently). Old games still are a lot of fun to play and buy as well, just as you said :).

Indeed, the SNES is my favorite system ever. I just finished Illusion of Gaia and started playing Lufia 1 this week and intend to get Lufia 2 and various other games for it as well as games for my PS2.