So Dragon Age is severely dumbed down for consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Last month, Game Informer gave Dragon Age a 9.0 for the pc, and then in the issue I just got today, it got an 8.0 for consoles. It basically said that the gameplay is dumbed down for the consoles. Do you think it's still an enjoyable game for someone who can only get it on a console?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44277 Posts

Sure why not. I found it to be a fantastic game and would most certainly recommend to anyone regardless of the platform they get it on.

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
If you enjoyed the games Bioware put out on the Xbox last gen, this is as good as any of those. If you didn't, well then best to avoid it.
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
The graphics have taken a hit (althought it isn't as bad as some people might think). I've also heard the gameplay on the consoles is easier (due to the lack of keyboard I'd presume). My friend who has it on PC and rented it for PS3 marked a notable difference and he actually said the PC version was way more difficult,(and this guy's a strategic genius so...
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UT_Wrestler
Yeah that's what the GI issue's beef was with the console version, they said they made it almost too easy to compensate for the lack of a keyboard rather than properly adapt it for the consoles. But if you guys think it's just as good as any of Bioware's previous console games, I'll definitely have to pick it up on Black Friday when I can get it at Best Buy for 35 bucks.
thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
Yeah that's what the GI issue's beef was with the console version, they said they made it almost too easy to compensate for the lack of a keyboard rather than properly adapt it for the consoles. But if you guys think it's just as good as any of Bioware's previous console games, I'll definitely have to pick it up on Black Friday when I can get it at Best Buy for 35 bucks.UT_Wrestler
I didn't think any of their games last gen on the Xbox were very challenging at all, honestly. But this one also has a more refined morality system, (less of the blatant either be a super saint or a baby eating monster stuff) and simply seems to be have a much richer game world, and by all estimates, takes much longer to actually finish and see everything. Though to be honest, I have in fact died a few times already.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

That's why you should get into PC Gaming ;). You don't have to give up your console and the PC has a better gaming experience in many games and you also get to brag about your kickass gaming rig! :D

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Gimped enough that I returned my 360 copy and got it for my PC instead.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I have it for pc and 360 and am personally going through it on 360 and dont see anything wrong with it.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

the gameplay is dumbed down for the consoles. Do you think it's still an enjoyable game for someone who can only get it on a consoleUT_Wrestler

Are you kidding me? Games are meant to be dumbed down for consoles, infact i cant believe the pc version is not dumbed down too.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I have the PS3 version and it's great. It does not have a birds eye view and going through the menu system can be a pain, but it's still a solid experience. I think some PC gamers are just nit-picking about the differences with this game.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Play on the platform that suits you best. A differing review score should not put you off a game on a particular platform, unless there are serious issues with that version.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I've got it on 360 and can honestly say that I enjoy the game. I think "severely dumbed down" is an internet comparison where nobody knows moderation and the only reaction/opinion worth writing or expressing is the extreme one.

To me, DA is the hardest console game from Bio-Ware. If this is severely dumbed down than i'd flip it and say the PC version is probably overly complex and difficult.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#14 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I have the PS3 version and it's great. It does not have a birds eye view and going through the menu system can be a pain, but it's still a solid experience. I think some PC gamers are just nit-picking about the differences with this game.

Bigboi500
It's not nitpicking. The graphics and controls are better and the difficulties are different. On consoles you have to raise the difficulty so that friendly fire on spells is possible, on PC the game starts off that way, you have to lower the difficulty to not bomb your own characters with spells. so Normal on Consoles is Easy on PC
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The PC version is easily better. Downloadable community content, an extra view mode, better controls, better graphics, easier to access all of your moves, the game takes screenshots and adds text and uploads them to bioware's sites so people can see important things that you have done. Still, the console versions are worth getting if you can't get it for the PC.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

smerlus

It's not nitpicking. The graphics and controls are better and the difficulties are different. On consoles you have to raise the difficulty so that friendly fire on spells is possible, on PC the game starts off that way, you have to lower the difficulty to not bomb your own characters with spells. so Normal on Consoles is Easy on PC

I don't see how harder difficulty automatically = better. Some people just enjoy the game without making it ultra difficult. Also the graphics are just fine on the consoles.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UT_Wrestler

That's why you should get into PC Gaming ;). You don't have to give up your console and the PC has a better gaming experience in many games and you also get to brag about your kickass gaming rig! :D

UltimateGamer95
I wish I could, but upgrading a PC is quite expensive for someone who isn't tech savvy.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]

I've got it on 360 and can honestly say that I enjoy the game. I think "severely dumbed down" is an internet comparison where nobody knows moderation and the only reaction/opinion worth writing or expressing is the extreme one.

To me, DA is the hardest console game from Bio-Ware. If this is severely dumbed down than i'd flip it and say the PC version is probably overly complex and difficult.

So you think it's more challenging than any of Bioware's previous console games? I get disappointed when I go through an entire game without dying even once.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

EDGE gave the 360 version a 5.

out of 10.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
I don't think it's dumbed down so much as it's just tailored to console gameplay. To me it felt more like they blended Final Fantasy XI/XII with Phantasy Star Online.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts
I don't think it's dumbed down so much as it's just tailored to console gameplay. To me it felt more like they blended Final Fantasy XI/XII with Phantasy Star Online.DarkCatalyst
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]I don't think it's dumbed down so much as it's just tailored to console gameplay. To me it felt more like they blended Final Fantasy XI/XII with Phantasy Star Online.Metamania

I mentioned Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Online. Automatically good.
woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
of course, 8 isn't a bad score is it?
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#24 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

I don't see how harder difficulty automatically = better. Some people just enjoy the game without making it ultra difficult. Also the graphics are just fine on the consoles.

Well in a topic entitled "So Dragon Age is severly dumbed down for consoles" where you say it is pc gamers just nitpicking. Having a game use PC's easy more for Normal is a good example of being dumbed down and not just nitpicking. Also lower res graphics may be fine for some but that still doesn't mean they're not dumbed down for consoles (also ignoring loading times and framerate issues with the console games.) Let's not forget that the PC version comes with a mod kit and people are already working on graphic overhauls of the game to make the textures even better.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UT_Wrestler
of course, 8 isn't a bad score is it?woonsa
It's a mediocre score by game informer standards, who give pretty much give any game that isn't terrible at least an 8.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]

UT_Wrestler

So you think it's more challenging than any of Bioware's previous console games? I get disappointed when I go through an entire game without dying even once.

Aye, the game is definitely more difficult than anything Bioware has released in a long while. Although, things get much easier once your characters level up some. I ended up cranking it up to nightmare around lvl 12 and still only had trouble with a couple of the boss battles.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Metamania
[QUOTE="Metamania"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]I don't think it's dumbed down so much as it's just tailored to console gameplay. To me it felt more like they blended Final Fantasy XI/XII with Phantasy Star Online.DarkCatalyst

I mentioned Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Online. Automatically good.

Not exactly. Final Fantasy XI wasn't exactly a great MMORPG to begin with. I had a lot of frustration in dealing with that game - the installation time, the gameplay, among other variable factors that just made it not such a good FF game in the first place. Phantasy Star Online, ok, I'll give you that, the game was addicting and has some fun moments in it. But FFXI being automatically good? Not really.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

So in other words I should just crank the difficulty up to the hardest setting if I play it on consoles? No big deal.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts
So in other words I should just crank the difficulty up to the hardest setting if I play it on consoles? No big deal.Mash_Affect
Easier difficulty is a result of the dumbing down, not the dumbing down itself. The console versions lack the control and camera options as well as the mouse fluidity that make tactical micromanagement a breeze (which is the whole point of a party-based RPG, in my opinion). Without that, people are less likely to really delve into the depths of the combat system - therefore, easier difficulty since the AI obviously lacks the intellect of a human brain. As almost any true PC game (and Dragon Age was developed specifically for PC), it's dumbed down for consoles. It's obvious that some people just don't want to hear it, but there's no escaping the fact that Dragon Age is a computer RPG. Seriously, just look at the interface. That doesn't, however, mean that it's not an enjoyable game on consoles.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

That doesn't, however, mean that it's not an enjoyable game on consoles.UpInFlames
Quite, and to be honest, I prefer this approach to the production process (optimize the game for PC first, then try to get it to work on consoles) than what we've seen in cases like, say, Oblivion, where the game was optimized for consoles THEN ported over to PC...without the greatest results interface wise.

Playing this on PC is dramatically different than consoles, and actually can more or less appeal to different types and kinds of gamers across those two main platforms.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="Mash_Affect"]So in other words I should just crank the difficulty up to the hardest setting if I play it on consoles? No big deal.UpInFlames
Easier difficulty is a result of the dumbing down, not the dumbing down itself. The console versions lack the control and camera options as well as the mouse fluidity that make tactical micromanagement a breeze (which is the whole point of a party-based RPG, in my opinion). Without that, people are less likely to really delve into the depths of the combat system - therefore, easier difficulty since the AI obviously lacks the intellect of a human brain. As almost any true PC game (and Dragon Age was developed specifically for PC), it's dumbed down for consoles. It's obvious that some people just don't want to hear it, but there's no escaping the fact that Dragon Age is a computer RPG. Seriously, just look at the interface. That doesn't, however, mean that it's not an enjoyable game on consoles.

I enjoyed KOTOR in spite of the combat. Meaning I loathed the turn-based menu combat, but loved the story, character customization, and dialogue options. Is this a game I am likely to enjoy on consoles despite lacking some camera angles and quicker menu navigation?

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]the gameplay is dumbed down for the consoles. Do you think it's still an enjoyable game for someone who can only get it on a consoledakan45

Are you kidding me? Games are meant to be dumbed down for consoles, infact i cant believe the pc version is not dumbed down too.

So every game on consoles is automatically dumbed down in comparison to PC software? Even games that naturally use controllers and analog sticks?

Seems like a pretty silly statement to me.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 UpInFlames
I enjoyed KOTOR in spite of the combat. Meaning I loathed the turn-based menu combat, but loved the story, character customization, and dialogue options. Is this a game I am likely to enjoy on consoles despite lacking some camera angles and quicker menu navigation?Mash_Affect
Absolutely. The story is well-written and interesting, the characters are awesome, party interactions and dialogue options are deep, the amount of fully voiced characters is staggering, the game is huge and packed with all sorts of equipment, and the lore...the lore is just fascinating. The gameworld BioWare created (from scratch, mind you) is literally bursting with history and culture, it's almost overwhelming. This is, by far, the richest and most believeable fantasy world I've ever visited. It's a shame you dislike party-based tactical combat because it's really, really good. I would perhaps even go so far as to say that this is the best combat I've ever experienced in an RPG.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#35 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
From what I've seen, the tactical elements have been a bit more streamlined for consoles. It plays a lot like KOTOR (which is awesome for me). It's fantastic on 360, probably my favorite rpg this gen asides from Oblivion or FO3
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Yeah that's what the GI issue's beef was with the console version, they said they made it almost too easy to compensate for the lack of a keyboard rather than properly adapt it for the consoles. But if you guys think it's just as good as any of Bioware's previous console games, I'll definitely have to pick it up on Black Friday when I can get it at Best Buy for 35 bucks.UT_Wrestler

Black Friday, Im on it, and BestBuy is my fave store.... Im gonna get it for my PS3, but then if it's better deal for PC I might get it instaed.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]That doesn't, however, mean that it's not an enjoyable game on consoles.Skylock00

Quite, and to be honest, I prefer this approach to the production process (optimize the game for PC first, then try to get it to work on consoles) than what we've seen in cases like, say, Oblivion, where the game was optimized for consoles THEN ported over to PC...without the greatest results interface wise.

Playing this on PC is dramatically different than consoles, and actually can more or less appeal to different types and kinds of gamers across those two main platforms.

Yeah, at least BioWare tries to adapt their games to a particular platform in the best way possible (Mass Effect PC and the console versions of Dragon Age, for example). Happily, PC gamers can always turn to modders if the developer itself can't be bothered. There were quite a lot of great interface mods for Oblivion that made the game more at home on PC as well as adding some cool stuff such as color and worn-out cloth effects to the map. Hopefully, BioWare will continue that tradition. To be honest, I'm worried about Dragon Age. I'm worried that EA will push for a console-centric development for the next installments.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 UT_Wrestler

[QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]That doesn't, however, mean that it's not an enjoyable game on consoles.UpInFlames

Yeah, at least BioWare tries to adapt their games to a particular platform in the best way possible (Mass Effect PC and the console versions of Dragon Age, for example). Happily, PC gamers can always turn to modders if the developer itself can't be bothered. There were quite a lot of great interface mods for Oblivion that made the game more at home on PC as well as adding some cool stuff such as color and worn-out cloth effects to the map. Hopefully, BioWare will continue that tradition. To be honest, I'm worried about Dragon Age. I'm worried that EA will push for a console-centric development for the next installments.

I know you're going to hate me for saying this, but I'd actually prefer it that way since I can't really afford to convert my pc into a viable gaming platform.

bethkoferets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bethkoferets
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
That sucks, I bought for xbox360 since my PC isn't capable of handling much more than solitaire.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]the gameplay is dumbed down for the consoles. Do you think it's still an enjoyable game for someone who can only get it on a consoleGrammaton-Cleric

So every game on consoles is automatically dumbed down in comparison to PC software? Even games that naturally use controllers and analog sticks?

Seems like a pretty silly statement to me.

As far i cant see every multiplatform games is like that.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dakan45

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]That doesn't, however, mean that it's not an enjoyable game on consoles.Skylock00

Really? How hardcore is it on oc? If its that much harder then i might buy it for ps3 instead.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UpInFlames
I know you're going to hate me for saying this, but I'd actually prefer it that way since I can't really afford to convert my pc into a viable gaming platform.UT_Wrestler
The thing about that is that we'd all get a crappier game. The last time BioWare catered to console gamers we got Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Not bad by any means, but still a rather shallow RPG experience. Certainly nowhere near Dragon Age's awesomeness.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Mash_Affect"]So in other words I should just crank the difficulty up to the hardest setting if I play it on consoles? No big deal.UpInFlames

Yeah, I'm no mouse fetishist, but the absence of the mouse and keyboard combo makes real time strategies on console much better than on console.

Haven't played either version of DA, so I don't know how much the control of DA is impacted, but the stripping away of the perspective which facilitates control of the entire group is discouraging. If I get DA (I'm going to try to get it black Friday, though I have to work that day) I'm going to get it on PC.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Metamania

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]the gameplay is dumbed down for the consoles. Do you think it's still an enjoyable game for someone who can only get it on a consoledakan45

That statement I find to be incorrect. Not all games are meant to be dumbed down for consoles. Only a few, like Final Fantasy II on the SNES - that was dumbed down because Square thought that we wouldn't be able to handle the difficulty in the game. That was a mistake to make. But not every game should turn out like thas at all. All games should have various levels of play and should be easy to go through and understand, yet hard to master - perfect balance right there.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UpInFlames
Haven't played either version of DA, so I don't know how much the control of DA is impacted, but the stripping away of the perspective which facilitates control of the entire group is discouraging. If I get DA (I'm going to try to get it black Friday, though I have to work that day) I'm going to get it on PC.CarnageHeart
The great thing about the PC version is that you have options. Want to play with mouse/keyboard? Fine. Mouse only? Great. That's my choice as well. Controller? Go for it. Same thing with camera options. Change perspectives on-the-fly any time you want. While I'm exploring the gameworld, I use the close-up third-person view. In battle, I pull back the camera in order to see my entire party. In a larger battle with lots of enemies, I pull it all the way to a cIassic isometric view. All of this is done simply by scrolling the mouse wheel back and forth. Like I said, I mapped every single action to the mouse the way that suits me best. It's fast, easy and intuitive. Will Wright said it once, but it bears repeating ad nauseum - the mouse in an incredible and horribly underrated piece of technology.