Silent Hill Origins impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Right now I am a little over an hour and a half in. The puzzles are pure Silent Hill which was the aspect I figured it would be hardest for a new development team to nail. So far I've run into familiar characters among the humans and a mix of the familiar and the unfamiliar among monsters, though its worth noting that the familiar monsters have been beefed up in terms of attacks and speed (when I ran up to one building it seemed like all of the faster enemies I had moved past were hard on my heels and I have no doubt the slower enemies were a ways back, out of sight).

The visuals are amazing. The textures are really sharp (though they are obscured slightly by the grain filter) and the monsters have the moist look we all know and love. What makes Origin the best looking PSP game is the realtime lighting, which is even more impressive in light of the extremely complicated level geometry (everything casts a shadow, and all shadows move depending on the amount of distance/height inbetween them and the light source). The audio/music is as phenomenal as ever, which shouldn't be a surprise since the audio guy of the old games also worked on Origins.

The only complaint I have thus far is the weapons system. Weapons break, which makes more sense in some cases (say, bottles of alcohol) than in others (hammers). While not true in all cases, there is often a correlation inbetween how much damage a weapon does and how quickly it breaks (a bottle can bring down a weaker enemy with a single hit). The whole thing kind of reminds me a bit of MGS3's health system, an interesting twist which will merely irritate most people because it makes things more complicated (though it should be noted that one always seems to have another weapon in one's inventory and weapon switching can be done at the press of a button or through the pause menu).

In Origins, one can always resort to the fists of the main character, but while he can beat a lone nurse to death without too much trouble given a bit of time, often he doesn't have time (anything in earshot will head your way once a fight starts and everything can be pretty fast when it wants to be) and monsters often come in small groups. And against stronger monsters like the goat/anus (a description coined by IGN) fists are pretty ineffective. As is the Silent Hill tradition, projectile weapons are few and far between (I have found one gun and a little bit of ammo for it, as well as a little bit of ammo for a second gun).

In summary, Silent Hill Origins is a quality game worthy of the series that won't convert non-fans, but will allow fans to cleanse their palettes after the atrocity that was SH4.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

It's out? Cool!

I was looking into this a little. Getting more interested everytime it's mentioned. It's also getting good reviews.

I like how Konami brought SH back to its roots. I heard on 1up that the original LA developers were trying to do a Resident Evil 4 type of thing and Konami canned it. I think if something isn't broken, they shouldn't try to fix it, especially if it's not coming out right.

Anyway, PSP needs games like these more. It showcases what its capable of, which is good.

Don't have money yet but once I save up, I may consider this.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CarnageHeart

It's out? Cool!

I was looking into this a little. Getting more interested everytime it's mentioned. It's also getting good reviews.

I like how Konami brought SH back to its roots. I heard on 1up that the original LA developers were trying to do a Resident Evil 4 type of thing and Konami canned it. I think if something isn't broken, they shouldn't try to fix it, especially if it's not coming out right.

Anyway, PSP needs games like these more. It showcases what its capable of, which is good.

Don't have money yet but once I save up, I may consider this.

ASK_Story

If you liked the old SH games Origins should be right up your alley. Remember, like Castlevania, it only costs 30 bucks at places like EB.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Nice impressions, Carnage. Thanks for posting.

It's great to know the developer team nailed a couple of features of paramount importance in the series: The puzzles and the atmosphere (both visually and aurally). I can see how weapons wearing out and breaking could be a bit jarring for some people, but in my opinion that only adds tension to the fighting element. Provided there aren't loads of weapons laying around at all times, that is.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Nice impressions. It looks like we finally get a worthy Silent Hill game after that disappointing SH4. It's nice to see that Akira Yamaoka still makes the music for the game.

I'm not sure how I feel about the weapons breaking and everything. I can imagine that can make for some really tense moments, if you're backed up against a wall with enemies after you, but is there anyway to gauge how many times you can use your weapon before it breaks? Another thing I'm curious about is the inventory system. Do you have a limit to items like SH4, or can you carry everything like the other games?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Nice impressions man, im glad this one turned out good. For $30 its yet ANOTHER game I plan on buying this year. This madness will never end!
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart

Nice impressions. It looks like we finally get a worthy Silent Hill game after that disappointing SH4. It's nice to see that Akira Yamaoka still makes the music for the game.

I'm not sure how I feel about the weapons breaking and everything. I can imagine that can make for some really tense moments, if you're backed up against a wall with enemies after you, but is there anyway to gauge how many times you can use your weapon before it breaks? Another thing I'm curious about is the inventory system. Do you have a limit to items like SH4, or can you carry everything like the other games?

_Dez_

Yes, there is an icon which indicates if a weapon is one shot or multiple use, and if its multiple use, its color denotes what condition the weapon is in.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

Gah! This can't be out already--I'm still nowhere near done with the Dracula X Chronicles!

Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint.

trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
Sounds solid, but my budget for games this month is locked up with Galaxy and Mass Effect. The concern I have from the early reviews is that the game still can't match up to 1 or 2. Again the game sounds competent enough but the series isn't peaking like it should.