Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ImJESUS-PROam
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts
Which is better to you my fellow companions? Personally, Resident Evil was always the entertaining horror franchise, never to scary, but it was a good run for awhile. However, it has fallen the hardest of the two to me. Silent Hill wasn't that scary either but had a creepy setting that could give you creepy vibes. The gameplay was more varied for better or worse, and felt more like it wanted to get you interested more while Resident Evil felt more like an action game with a confusing plot that didn't seem to know where it wanted to go. Both are pretty good, however overall I would prefer silent hill. Resident Evil 4 was too short and had the direction of the plot go around into insanity and was trying more to be a third-person shooter. 5 the same thing adding clunky controls, bad dialogue and more. 6 focused way to much on prolonged fighting of random numerous enemies to progress, quicktime events, a very odd inventory system, unlikable characters, too slow paced, nonsense plot, inconsistent graphics, why is there an option for infinite ammo in the game when the game pretty much gives you enough ammo? I guess there is hard but still. Silent Hill fell hard to, I didn't even bother playing the latest release. I might though, a lot of fans apparently enjoyed it even though the scores are not too good. Heck I played Resident Evil 6! Might as well see. If 6 was better I would probably have preferred Resident Evil, but.... So overall which is better to you?
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
I like resident evil 1 and 2 more than the entire silent hill series, but silent hill is still a bit more twisted. Both have their shortcomings; the campaigns are generally short, both have bad control, both have bad voice acting, and the list goes on. But regardless, when it comes down to resident evil 1-4 vs silent hill 1-4, resident evil all the way.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I love the RE games... don't get me wrong.  I've played RE4 to hell and back... I'm on something like round 16, I think.  And I've played the hell out of the Mercenaries mode.

But, as far as actual horror, silent Hil takes the cake. RE challenges you to fight the forces of evil with heavy weaponry while Silent Hill truly forces you to survive in a nightmarish alternate reality.  Yeah, yeah "butbut early Resident Evil"... I didn't see a Rocket Launcher in Silent Hill. 

So they are both good series but as far as actually being scary goes, Silent Hill takes the cake.  SH3 is a true masterpiece in scaring the everloving sh!t out of players.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 turtlethetaffer

I love the RE games... don't get me wrong.  I've played RE4 to hell and back... I'm on something like round 16, I think.  And I've played the hell out of the Mercenaries mode.

But, as far as actual horror, silent Hil takes the cake. RE challenges you to fight the forces of evil with heavy weaponry while Silent Hill truly forces you to survive in a nightmarish alternate reality.  Yeah, yeah "butbut early Resident Evil"... I didn't see a Rocket Launcher in Silent Hill. 

So they are both good series but as far as actually being scary goes, Silent Hill takes the cake.  SH3 is a true masterpiece in scaring the everloving sh!t out of players.

Not only that, but RE has never been "daring" with its plots... Meanwhile SH2 is one of the most artistically well made games ever.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I like Silent Hill, but to me there is no contest; RE blows Silent Hill clear out the water imo in every way. REmake alone is better then every Silent Hill game combined as far as I'm concerned.

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
I like them both, but I like RE quite a bit more
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

RE has Resident Evil 4, so it wins.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#8 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

Not only that, but RE has never been "daring" with its plots... Meanwhile SH2 is one of the most artistically well made games ever.

turtlethetaffer
^All of this
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Silent Hill always annoyed me with the lack of appropriate weaponry (yes i know that's the point). If a deformed creature is coming at me then i want to kill it, running away won't make it go away!

Resident Evil had less of the deformation but more of the killing.

Both games have their quiet sections, but the difference is in RE you're usually looking for something specific or backtracking to complete a puzzle, whereas in SH you're just wondering around waiting for something to happen.

These factors are the main ones which make Resident Evil the better series for me.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i love both series i prefer sillent hill series
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Silent Hill is the better horror game, it's atmospheric, scary, unnerving, and gives you a genuine feeling of being scared.

Resident Evil does give you a feeling of fear, but it's only because ammo is scarce and enemies like Nemesis or Mr.X are almost unstoppable. 

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 turtlethetaffer

Silent Hill always annoyed me with the lack of appropriate weaponry (yes i know that's the point). If a deformed creature is coming at me then i want to kill it, running away won't make it go away!

Resident Evil had less of the deformation but more of the killing.

Both games have their quiet sections, but the difference is in RE you're usually looking for something specific or backtracking to complete a puzzle, whereas in SH you're just wondering around waiting for something to happen.

These factors are the main ones which make Resident Evil the better series for me.

BarbaricAvatar

Funny you say that "runnign away won't make it go away..." Since most of the monsters in SH are pieces of a person's psyche, what you said is almost philisophical... You can't run from your demons, because that won't make them disappear.

But I disagree with almost everything you said.  IMO they both have similar gameplay, with RE more like Castlevania (with backtracking to previously unreachable areas, etc.) while SH is kind of like Mario (hear me out.  The games typically have distinct "levels..." in SH2 "levels" were the hospital, the htoel, historical society, etc.) but they are both very similar in terms of design/ general gameplay.  Don't know what you mean when you say that SH is "wandering around waiting for something to happen". Maybe you should replay some of the old SH games.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Silent Hill
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Silent Hill all the way. The gameplay's a little unexciting in both series but Silent Hill has an incredibly interesting setting and story.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
Silent Hill is great, RE too.... Hard to choose...
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19580 Posts

Resident Evil is the better action-adventure series.

Silent Hill is the better survival horror series.

inter_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 inter_911
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

for me Silent Hill= more horror, creepy, better story and nice puzzles

RE= more action, more fun gameplay, decent horror and creep

JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
To me, Resident Evil is the better game, and I found myself having more fun with it gameplay wise. That being said, Silent Hill is the better experience, I loved getting into the mythos and twisted stories of the Silent Hills far more than the Resident Evils. Overall, I give the nod to RE, but only slightly.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I like the Resident Evil games more. I've always been a big zombie-movie fan (the Romero movies are KING!). So Resident Evil IMMEADIATLY appealed to me. After RE4, though, I didn't like the direction the series went in.

gunslinger024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#20 gunslinger024
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts
Never played any Silent Hill game but I did enjoy Resident Evil a lot.
SerenityBeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SerenityBeee
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

Silent Hill, it's just more atmospheric and has a better story. Resident Evil on the other hand is still a fun game.