Should I get a Gamecube?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Altair1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Altair1337
Member since 2007 • 387 Posts
I never had a Gamecube and I always wanted to get one. I have some extra cash and was going to buy one. Should I get one or just save my money?
dogel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dogel99
Member since 2004 • 157 Posts

If you want a Gamecube and like them a lot, then I say get one. They are pretty cheap nowadays, but I think if you want an older system, you should go with a PS2. It has way more great games, and heck, they are still making games for it. Or, if you really want to play Gamecube games, you should buy a Wii (if you can find one) and then you can play new Wii games, along with Gamecube games, because the Wii plays all Gamecude games, you just need to buy a Gamecube or Classic controller. I hope this helps!

Elmo

Stuntman9594

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Stuntman9594
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts

If you want a Gamecube and like them a lot, then I say get one. They are pretty cheap nowadays, but I think if you want an older system, you should go with a PS2. It has way more great games, and heck, they are still making games for it. Or, if you really want to play Gamecube games, you should buy a Wii (if you can find one) and then you can play new Wii games, along with Gamecube games, because the Wii plays all Gamecude games, you just need to buy a Gamecube or Classic controller. I hope this helps!

Elmo

dogel99

Exactly What he said! PS2 has awesome games but I would say to buy a Wii!

teeeooop43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 teeeooop43
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

I agree the gamecube has a lot of great games but you might as well go with the wii.

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
they sell for only $30 so yes you should get one . and you will be rewarded with great memories such as ssbm
Avatar image for RdrOfTheLostArk
RdrOfTheLostArk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 RdrOfTheLostArk
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts

It's ironic that the Gamecube system now sells for less than some of its games!

But you might want to save up for a Wii.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I traded my GC to my friend for a Xbox (Cause I have a Wii) and I really happy.

I got some great games like Kotor for like $10.

Eventhough Im a Nintendo fanboy, I probably would get an Xbox instead of a GC... (If you dont have one).

Avatar image for garter_windwood
garter_windwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 garter_windwood
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Well they're cheap and it wouldn't hurt your wallet to much to get one, but personally my girlfriend has one and I have yet to find a game that I'd buy to play on it....
deathface123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deathface123
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts

the gamecube is pretty cool,

as far as games go you havent got much choice.

apart from endless movie titles!

games can be very steep as well. i found numerous copies of zelda twilight princess in CEX for 45 pounds!

unbelievable! you could buy two GC consoles for that.

get a PS2 or an xbox if not already owned : ]

yentar480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yentar480
Member since 2007 • 5066 Posts
If you're going for an older system I would definitely recommend ps2 over a gamecube. But if you already have a ps2 or are deadset on getting a gamecube, I'd recommend getting a Wii because its backwards compatible with gamecube games.
Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts
I would recommend just buying a Wii because you are able to play both the past GameCube releases and the upcoming Wii games.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
If you have any interest in the Wii, get that instead, and get a bunch of the GC's classic games.
twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Yeah, Gamecube is awesome.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

Wii: plays all nintendo games $250

gamecube: $99 and the best games on it ssbm and mkdd

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6g_HhJ_wpw

watch this video for more details

MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

Wii: plays all nintendo games $250

gamecube: $99 and the best games on it ssbm and mkdd

bigM10231
Uh you can get a gamecube for $30
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
If you don't intend to purchase a Wii in the near future,it would be wise to pick a GC,especially since they go for as little as $30.
voyaging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 voyaging
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Might as well get a new one before they stop making them. Only $99.

As far as games, make sure you get, at the very least, Resident Evil 4, which is in my opinion the best game on the console with Metroid Prime at a close second.

Overclockd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Overclockd
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

Might as well get a new one before they stop making them. Only $99.

As far as games, make sure you get, at the very least, Resident Evil 4, which is in my opinion the best game on the console with Metroid Prime at a close second.

voyaging

Don't bother buying a new one. The cube is reliable enough that used will do fine; especially if you find it for 40$. If it breaks and you buy another, you still saved 20$.

The only downside to the cube is most of the games have been rehashed with better stuff. RE4, SSB, and Mario Kart have pretty much everything they had before with motion controls and added content. Still, you have the Wind Waker, Baten Kaitos, Metroid, Pikmin, animal crossing, and lots of other games. Check out the sticky for some others. I would say you should definately buy one. It isn't the greatest console, but at its current price, it is more than a steal.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Get the Wii, you can get Wii games AND GC games AND games from older generations!

though if you only care for GC games, and not NES, SNESm N64, Wii games, and Sega gamwes, then go ahead and get a Wii, they're pretty cheap, and DEFINETELY get Super Smash bros Melee, I still play that game from timre to time (not as much with brawl around and all...)

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

The PS2 has a far better range of exclusives. But if you want to play Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2 or any other multiplatform game, the Gamecube versions are always superior. It also has some great exlusives of its own, especially for a Nintendo fan. Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Psychonauts, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes and Pikmin.

A lot of people are recommending a Wii, but remember that $250 -or an even pricier £180 if you're in the UK- is a hefty asking price. $30 for a Gamecube however is more than worth the money. Bearing in mind you would be parting with the same amount of money people pay on eBay for a NES or Sega Mega Drive.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Yes, you should get either Gamecube or Wii. Wii can play all Gamecube games.
FB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FB3
Member since 2008 • 403 Posts

Yes, I've had mine since 2002, under the rule of a hardcore gamer, and I've had absolutely zero problems with it since I opened it. (Except for two system errors...Both were actually triggered during Mario Party 4 and during the same minigame, so I'm wondering if maybe it's less the GameCube's fault.) I've also been using the same memory cards and controllers since 2002 as well. (I only use first-party accessories.)

If you are a big Nintendo fan on a low budget (I'm assuming so since you sport a Pokemon avatar), the GameCube I do believe is a worthy purchase.

Overclockd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Overclockd
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

The wii is a great console, but right now it's selling for way over what its hardware actually costs. Last I heard, Wii hardware costs 150$ and that was quite a while ago. It sells for 100$ profit, while the 360 and ps3 don't make anywhere near that. I personally will wait before buying a wii, because a price drop will come eventually. It depends if you really need any wii games. The wii is not a rip-off now, but with a price drop and new game releases, it could become a huge bargain.

Altair1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Altair1337
Well I bought at a GameCube and I am liking it so far. The only reason I didn't buy a Wii, is because I have no interest in paying $250 for it. I only bought a GameCube to play some game for fun while I wait for my dad to buy my a 360 for my birthday. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone.
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts
Enjoy! Did you get a used or new one?
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Well I bought at a GameCube and I am liking it so far. The only reason I didn't buy a Wii, is because I have no interest in paying $250 for it. I only bought a GameCube to play some game for fun while I wait for my dad to buy my a 360 for my birthday. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone.Altair1337
Just make sure to buy the best games that the system has: 1. Metriod Prime 1 and 2 2. Pikmin 1 and 2 3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door 4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 5. Mario Kart: Double Dash! 6. F-Zero GX 7. Mario Power Tennis 8. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour 9. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 10. Battalion Wars
yentar480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yentar480
Member since 2007 • 5066 Posts
Tales of Symphonia is a must own
LORDCOSMOS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LORDCOSMOS
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts

games that justify buying a gamecube:

pokemon games (if you're going for every last one)

super mario sunshine (totally the black sheep of the series, am i right?)

resident evil: REmake

resident evil 0

eternal darkness: sanity's requiem

skies of arcadia: legends

metroid prime

metroid prime 2: echoes

paper mario

super smash bros.

soul calibur II w/ LINK FROM ZELDA

if you like snowboarding or basketball: SSX 3 featuring mario, NBA street V3 featuring mario

tales of symphonia

a good chunk of the zelda series... all of them actually except link to the past.

the gameboy player!!!! if you have ANY gameboy games get the gameboy player play 'em on a big TV with a wavebird. it's pretty silly playing one game on a big TV, then a GBASP, maybe a DS :D

DreadStein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DreadStein
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

[QUOTE="Altair1337"]Well I bought at a GameCube and I am liking it so far. The only reason I didn't buy a Wii, is because I have no interest in paying $250 for it. I only bought a GameCube to play some game for fun while I wait for my dad to buy my a 360 for my birthday. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone.SciFiCat
Just make sure to buy the best games that the system has: 1. Metriod Prime 1 and 2 2. Pikmin 1 and 2 3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door 4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 5. Mario Kart: Double Dash! 6. F-Zero GX 7. Mario Power Tennis 8. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour 9. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 10. Battalion Wars

Forgot Super Smash Bros.

PsychoT4Prez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PsychoT4Prez
Member since 2008 • 585 Posts
GC is a pretty weak system. Metroid 1 & 2 are amazing but it has the weakest Zelda and Mario games IMO, and if you can get a Wii sometime this year it has far superior versions of Smash and Kart. Really nothing else to speak of on the system.
fennec_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fennec_fox
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

I never had a Gamecube and I always wanted to get one. I have some extra cash and was going to buy one. Should I get one or just save my money?Altair1337

If you can find a Wii and have money - get it, if not - get a GameCube for 1/10th of a price, and enjoy the wonderful library of games :)

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I would say to save up money and get a Wii, so you can play both Wii and GC games on it.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

Gamecube is a fantastic system. Pound for pound I would say it has the highest average of really great games out of the 3 last gen systems. A Wii is a great option, but for 30 bucks (or whatever a GC costs) you can't go wrong.

My favorite games on it:

Pikmin 2, F-Zero GX, All the Zeldas (four swords is awesome if you still have friends with gbas), Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Paper Mario TTYD, and DK Jungle Beat (the best platformer of last gen)

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts

I think a Wii would be a safer investment.

GC Games such as LoZ: Wind Waker, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Star Wars Rogue Leader are all great titles

topperdoggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 topperdoggle
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts

I never had a Gamecube and I always wanted to get one. I have some extra cash and was going to buy one. Should I get one or just save my money?Altair1337

Get one, without a doubt. The most underrated console of the last ten years.

Comments on other people's comments (who didn't answer the question):

As for the PS2 love, in my opinion most games that are out on both, are better on GC. Although I would say it's worth having a PS2 for the few great exclusives, my rule is if I want a multi-platform game available on GC, I get it on the GC. Plus lots of GC exclusives are great. I always say that GC has quality, PS2 has quantity.

As for the Wii love, and the idea of backwards compatibility, GCs are practically free these days, and there aren't enough great exclusives to make a Wii worth the money as much as a GC.

Before I get accused of bias, I have a GC, a Wii, and a PS2.

topperdoggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 topperdoggle

I think a Wii would be a safer investment.

ash10692

You're nuts. GC cost today £15, depreciation after 5 years, probably £0. Wii cost today £180, depreciation after 5 years, ooh, let's say £100 at least?

topperdoggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 topperdoggle

GC is a pretty weak system. Metroid 1 & 2 are amazing but it has the weakest Zelda and Mario games IMO, and if you can get a Wii sometime this year it has far superior versions of Smash and Kart. Really nothing else to speak of on the system.PsychoT4Prez

I don't see how you can make that claim. The first 100 games on metacritic, score 81% or above. I just think you don't know much about the system, or you're trolling.
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts
People always seem to forgtet that there are plenty of Multiplats that made it onto the system. There is more then just Metroid, Mario and Zelda.
nbalive4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nbalive4life
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts
Hell ya ! The GC was one of the most underrated consoles last gen and u owe it to yourself to experience some of the most creative, and awesome games ever created :P
Altair1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Altair1337

I was going to get SSBM but the game is still $35 used. Thats more than I paid for the system!

At any rate I will buy the game eventually. Also I haven't been able to find a Pikmin game at any of the Gamestop's near me, they don't even have Pikmin 2 listed on their website. Baffles me.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
The main problem you are gonna face is finding the games, GC software has become a rare item and the only chance to get them is on the 2nd hand market. Most of my GC collection is made up of used titles and I'm extremelt happy with what I got, but there are a couple of titles missing that would make my collection perfect, Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 1 Remake. I've tried to find them at my local GAME store but thier GC selection has become slim at best and with plenty of third rate titles. I would say try Ebay.