should I buy strategy guides with my games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I got a big backlog of unfinished games. I think if I had a strategy guide I would have finished all of them. Strategy guides cost $20 at retail I think. But I think on ebay for older games the strategy guides are cheaper. Should I buy strategy guides for all my games? I dont like gamefaqs because its hard to navigate to find the part your stuck on and the computer isnt in the room I play in.

I also think a strategy guide is better than buying the limited edition of a game and its a good read.I think im the type of gamer that needs strategy guides to finish games.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#2 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
No, the internet provides pretty much all that you need for free.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#3 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

No. They are over priced and provide information that can be found for free on the internet

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I try not to use strategy guides because they often ruin the game....for me at least.
Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

Some games Strategy Guides are attractive and entertaining in their own right but that asides others are correct the Internet is a much better source of information when you get stuck.

Avatar image for xSkiFreeProMLGx
xSkiFreeProMLGx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xSkiFreeProMLGx
Member since 2010 • 802 Posts

I amazed they even still make strategy guides anymore. Especially with the quality of most of the ones put out. I've seen a few that are probably worth the $20, to be used as bathroom reading material, but that's about it.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I love good strategy guides.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

I think you should, but certainly not for all your games, just a select few that have a good amount of depth and potential information, and especailly for a game you really enjoy. Yes, of course all the information u would ever need is amongst the internet, but a guide not only provides convenient info, it's also real fun to read through on your own time and learn a lot of the little things about the games you love that you probably would never have intended to look up in the first place.

I love my sc2 guide right now, and i'd really love to get my hands on a demons souls guide. But too bad a copy of that runs for $100+ on ebay or wherever since it was limited time...I have no idea why they would make something like a strat guide a limited time/supply thing :(

x-chump-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 x-chump-x
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts
Definitely for games such as Final Fantasy 13 and many RPGs, because you really get your money's worth. Then there's guides for games like Call of Duty: Black Ops and Fable III...I mean games like that have YouTube videos for everything. But yes, I always buy strategy guides for big RPGs like Oblivion or FF7-13
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44640 Posts
I don't see the point in strategy guides if you have the internet, in that sense it's like wasting money, besides I like to figure things out for myself until I really need to google stuff. Plus by figuring things out for myself I like going into forums and helping people out, I find this to be enjoyable.
cain19822004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cain19822004
Member since 2005 • 1382 Posts

I got a big backlog of unfinished games. I think if I had a strategy guide I would have finished all of them. Strategy guides cost $20 at retail I think. But I think on ebay for older games the strategy guides are cheaper. Should I buy strategy guides for all my games? I dont like gamefaqs because its hard to navigate to find the part your stuck on and the computer isnt in the room I play in.

I also think a strategy guide is better than buying the limited edition of a game and its a good read.I think im the type of gamer that needs strategy guides to finish games.

slipknot0129

I would say yes, as it's far more convenient to have the guide right in front of you. I only have 3 guides right now, and I hope to get more, sooner or later.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

No and yes, there are some very nice written guides for free on the internet. There's almost always one guide or two over at GameFAQS. Of course, they're text documents and don't look very pretty. I personally think it ruins a lot of the fun having a guide telling you how to do stuff. But at the same time it can also be a bit fun, perhaps for games like Oblivion and Zelda. I personally only bought a strategy guide for one game, Ocarina of Time, when I was quite young.

Go for it if you think you can afford it. I cannot so I'm staying away from them.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
if you want a guide, dont waste money. just use gamefaqs. use the ctrl+f function to find what you need.
alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

Strategy guides usually contain a lot of errors, so I'd say save your money and use the internet.

BradHummr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BradHummr
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts
It's hard to say if that would be easily recommendable. I think it basically comes down to how much you enjoy having the physical guide with all the pretty pictures. :D Some guides have random facts and other info, which is usually quite enjoyable and won't be found in most GameFAQs guides. As for me, part of the fun is figuring out what to do. HOWEVER, I do like a good game guide. :D I got an Assassin's Creed II guide for about $3 and while I really didn't use it to beat much of the game, it was very useful for getting all the feathers and glyphs. Even after that, it had a large portion of the book dedicated to the franchise storyline, as well as explained many of the plot points. I really appreciated that and probably would not have found such extra, in depth writing with a free internet guide. As for actually using the guide to beat a game with, just ask yourself if knowledge on how to beat the game is worth $20 (Or however much) to you. Extra info the guide provides can also be a factor here, as well as convenience. (You said the computer isn't in the same room as your gaming.) So just evaluate your situation and decide. :D
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slipknot0129

I guess if the guides make the games more enjoyable for me then they would be worth the money. I'll try to beat a game with gamefaqs to help.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sure, if you like wasting money. Most games don't require one, and you can look up info on the net.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slipknot0129

Sure, if you like wasting money. Most games don't require one, and you can look up info on the net.

Bigboi500

I dont think its wasting money. I might enjoy games better with strategy guides. Its also more convenient.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
i found it funny when i bought CoD BO from EB Games and they said "would you like a strategy guide with that? you get 20% when buying them"
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

slipknot0129

I dont think its wasting money. I might enjoy games better with strategy guides. Its also more convenient.

Some games need guides, but most don't. I think charging $20 and up for them is highway robbery.

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

Just use gamestop/gamefaqs/youtube

orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

just go to gamefaqs

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

There is no clear cut answer to your question OP.

I think you have to evaluate it by a game-by-game, case by case manner.

I feel that some guides enhance your enjoyment (in that you would never have stumbled upon some content or appreciate a game section better w/o the guide), wheras others just have a spoiling effect