Should i buy first FFXV or MGSV?

Shacrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By Shacrob

Poll Should i buy first FFXV or MGSV? (22 votes)

FFXV 55%
MGSV Phantom Pain 45%

Hey guys im a more online gamer but Metal Gear and Final Fantasy games are the ones that i can enjoy playing alone. Which should i get first or which one would you pick?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I haven't played FFXV but personally, I wouldn't recommend MGSV.

In short, MGSV can sometimes feel like after a 30 minute play session, only 10 minutes of play feels any way meaningful. I don't think it's a particularly well designed game and exciting, meaningful moments of game-play are few and far between.

Shacrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shacrob
Member since 2004 • 3208 Posts

@jumpaction: Thanks for the reply! ill consider that!

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

MGSV. It's a masterpiece. I haven't played FFXV.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Didn't and won't play FFXV, so i can't advice about it...

about MGSV, it's one of the best games i've ever played, particularly the gameplay an exceptional, remarkable creation...there's one big problem about it's repetitiveness which is seriously damaging the experience after a while. no matter how cool what you doing, after you have to do it again and again, and again, and again, it's not cool anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

MGSV won shit loads of awards, probably safer to go with that.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44624 Posts

While I enjoyed both games as they are really good games in general they can both be a bit disappointing in regards to their specific franchise. I guess I would recommend MGSV first mainly because you can probably get it quite cheap these days and it does have a multiplayer aspect to it although it's not really all that good and there probably aren't a whole lot of people still playing it. If you're really itching for an RPG though then go with FFXV.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10576 Posts

mgsv isn't without its faults but at its heart is a ridiculously good stealth / espionage game. if you're in anyway a fan of the genre it's a no brainer.

i haven't played ffxv yet. it's sat here in the shrink wrap. haven't worked up the enthusiasm to make a start on it yet

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@Shacrob:

Just to clarify. It's only my opinion. As others below have states, there is fun to be had.

It depends what you are after. If you are looking for a single-player, stealth experience, I would sooner recommend Dishonored.

There are numerous things about MGSV that I think hold it back, but also a number of draws too. These are just my thoughts but there are definitely cases for the game that I think other users will be able to make!

Pros:

-Excellent execution of the mechanics. The game feels nice to play during the core game-loop with smooth stealth mechanics that are explained very well.

-Plenty of weapons and options to tackle an objective. There's a wide range of lethal and non-lethal weaponry and the game learns with your play style. If you, for example aim for the head a lot, enemies will start wearing helmets or plant mines in paths you have taken before. This reactive element gradually leans you in to a new play style.

-Attention to detail is insane. There are so many little details that will make you smile. Small things consequential and inconsequential. It's sort of like the feeling you get in The Sims just seeing how the AI reacts to certain things you do.

-Customization is awesome. There is so much to customize in the game. I don't want to spoil to what extent. Soldiers, mother-base, companions, weapon attachments, vehicles. So much customization and detail. Going back to that second point. It's an awesome toybox of weaponry and gadgets.

Cons:

-Terrible pacing. The introduction of the game is really bad and after that, there are long wait times between objectives. Plenty of traveling and waiting that bulk up the core game-loop needlessly. It takes way too long to get to the point.

- The level design can be quite one dimensional. The game will give you plenty of equipment to handle a situation and the freedom to tackle an outpost from different angles but doesn't deliver levels that are defined strongly enough for it ever to feel meaningful. Eventually, it can start to feel like no matter which way you approach a mission, it's all the same and generally speaking the angles you approach from and the enemy placement can make it feel like there is very little difference/benefit to plotting out a point of entry. It just all feels like the same solution to one problem.

- Context. The game doesn't succeed in contextualizing the missions enough. Main missions feel about as purposeful to the story as some side-missions. Go to place, find person who has intel for thing, extract. It can be extremely vague and you might wonder why you are doing something at a certain time.

- Exfiltration is not reactive in most cases and I think it's the weakest element of the game. You finish a mission, call in a chopper and have to get to it. Nothing is reactive so the path you cleared on the way in will likely do for the way out. Because the game isn't reactive, this means that it can be often seen as an easier version of the infiltration.

- The sandbox isn't necessary. Primarily, the sandbox lends itself to two things. The meta game of collecting troops and infiltration. Generally speaking, I don't think the game benefits from it. A more tightly defined hub space like Dishonored would have made for more cohesive and challenging levels but MGSV is largely flat and the enemy bases are so flatly designed that infiltration is the same from any angle you take. It makes the sandbox area unnecessary large and...

- Alert system. The alert system has been beefed up in favor of the player to accommodate the larger spaces. When a guard is alerted of your presence, time slows down giving you the opportunity to take them out before they raise the alarm. It's very unbalanced in favor of the player and makes the game easy. I think you can turn it off though.

- Terrible bosses. I won't spoil it for you but generally, the boss challenges ignore player options and even the stealth mechanics. They turn the game into an action game and they are just not fun at all.

-Side-ops are repetitive. They ask you to revisit the same areas and complete tasks you've already completed.

In general, the game loop depends on the player experimenting with different weaponry and gadgets to complete the same objectives and levels. The problem for me was that the weaponry wasn't interesting enough to make the level design, which I felt was one-dimensional and uninteresting, or the objectives which were contextually a bit dull any more engaging. :( I just thought it was a boring game. This is just my opinion though and I think others will have vastly different and more positive opinions. If I was recommending a stealth game though, it would go to Dishonored.

Dishonored may have less customization and options but the levels are well designed and designed around a tight knit collection of mechanics that open up options depending on your play style. Levels are cohesive and well crafted making them like puzzles that need to be solved and present well designed problems that match geometry with enemy placement which will make you stop and think "Hmmm, how do I get by this?"

On the other hand, MGSV offers you plenty of options and asks the question first "How do I want to tackle this?" But as soon as you have decided how, the game rarely fights back enough to present enough emergent situations or interesting challenges that make you wonder how you're going to complete it. It's more like how you WANT to solve it rather than how you CAN I solve it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@jumpaction said:

I haven't played FFXV but personally, I wouldn't recommend MGSV.

In short, MGSV can sometimes feel like after a 30 minute play session, only 10 minutes of play feels any way meaningful. I don't think it's a particularly well designed game and exciting, meaningful moments of game-play are few and far between.

This. It has so much grinding, and after like 80 hours I still do not know what for. The story is hardly there, and seems tacked on. It's not really open world, but rather a sandbox. I still have not beaten it, and I bought it like 2 weeks after it dropped. I am a huge Metal Gear fan, and had gone through all the games at least a couple times within the first month or two past release. This? Still have not beaten it, and I dont really care. The characters dont make you want to give a dusty shit about them, because they are not developed. Hell, Snake hardly speaks throughout the entire game. Just sitting there through exposition mission after mission.

FFXV looks dope. Go with that.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#10 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I would recommend FFXV over MGSV personally, considering MGSV feels extremely incomplete by MGS standards, especially in the story department. Gameplay is great, but there's not much to do with it since the open world is so lifeless apart from specific areas. FFXV has awesome combat (different than previous titles, but that's not a bad thing despite what some people say), good story (if a bit unpolished at the end), fun characters, and it just looks freaking gorgeous. So yeah, Final Fantasy gets my vote.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

final fantasy 15

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

I just got ff15 and dishonored2, i already have mgs5. Out of the three i would say dishonored 2 just scrapes the lead but i've only played a few hours of ff15 and so far it's pretty enjoyable. Anyway ff15 and mgsv are different games entirely so it depends on your preference.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I'd recommend FF XV. MGS V is very grindy. The game is clearly made for microtransactions. Imagine being forced to wait an hour and a half for upgrading your base or around 18 minutes for developing a gun. Also, expect running or riding around barren terrain for minutes on end before seeing a single enemy and imagine doing this in the same area again and again in every single mission. The Mother Base is even more painful to traverse as most of it is sterile and anaemic in terms of design. The open world design is not a good fit for Metal Gear Solid. The main brunt of the exposition occurs through radio tapes and are not as engaging as the CODECs of the previous games. Every mission has this poor intro staff roll that spoils the mission by announcing which villain or hero you'll see in it, and every mission ends with a similar staff roll. I get that Kojima needed a way to get back at Konami for snubbing him and removing his name from their marketing materials, but not at the expense of the player's fun or time.

Gameplay wise, Metal Gear Solid V does a lot of things well but its execution falls apart severely because of the above mentioned issues that hold the game back from greatness. Even though Peace Walker was absolute shit in terms of storytelling, it was way more fun in terms of actually playing than The Phantom Pain.

Pacing is where MGS V falls on its face. This game has the most slowest, most boring opening I've had the misfortune of playing. The previous MGS games all had me on the edge of my seat during their opening moments but MGS V managed to almost make me fall asleep.