should i buy all the resident evil games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

flipguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 flipguy
Member since 2005 • 910 Posts
should i buy all the resident evil games i really loved 4 and im really interested in 5
tri-edge99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tri-edge99
Member since 2007 • 7501 Posts
I wont say ALL of them..... but ya, get em! ones I liked the most: 2 3 4 Dead Aim Umbrella Cronicles
Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts

No, you shouldn't. If you really loved 4 then you wouldn't like any other title.

4 was so drastically different from any other RE title thus far, that it almost changed the RE Genre.

Many gamers who are interested in Re4 just couldn't play the other RE titles. And many gamers who are hardcore RE fans hated RE4 because it changed the series so much

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#4 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts

No, you shouldn't. If you really loved 4 then you wouldn't like any other title.

4 was so drastically different from any other RE title thus far, that it almost changed the RE Genre.

Many gamers who are interested in Re4 just couldn't play the other RE titles. And many gamers who are hardcore RE fans hated RE4 because it changed the series so much

Finaru

Yea i agree if you want them because you really like 4 then you want like the rest most likly but i've been playing RE since the first one but for some reson i really like RE4 i thank it's the best one so far. But that just me

kgansor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 kgansor
Member since 2006 • 1871 Posts
I would buy all of them. They are all excellent, especially if you are following the story line.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

Finaru

I have to agree.

But personally RE2 is still the favorite. RE:Zero has to be second.

RE4 changed and even if it is a great looking game...it's just not the same...

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
Buy every game that follows the main story. Those being 1,2,3,4, Code Veronica, Zero.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I think its important that every gamer play RE2 and REmake, just know that you are playing a very different game.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
theyll be extremely different from RE4 but u should try RE0-3 and Code Veronica, I didnt care much for 3, but definitely try 2 and Code Veronica (Ive only played DC version, dont know about the others)
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

Finaru

That sums it up. You can try Code Veronica and see if you like it. I see it as a kind of bridge between the old and new Resident Evils. I'm not saying you'll like it, but it has the best chance of hooking you. If you end up liking it, then go for it with the rest of them (but you can skip the game.com version... I know from experience).

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

Just get the main(and good) ones:

Resident Evil(get the GC version, if you have the console, also on PS1 and DS))

RE: Code vernocia(On PS2,GC, Dreamcast)

Resident evil 2 (PS1,N64,PC)

Resident evil 3 (PC,PS1)

Resident Evil 4(oh, you already played it, the best so far)

Re: Umbrella chronicles( Wii exclusive)

Don't get any crappy spin-offs like Outbreak, and blah blah

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

Just get the main(and good) ones:

Resident Evil(get the GC version, if you have the console, also on PS1 and DS))

RE: Code vernocia(On PS2,GC, Dreamcast)

Resident evil 2 (PS1,N64,PC)

Resident evil 3 (PC,PS1)

Resident Evil 4(oh, you already played it, the best so far)

Re: Umbrella chronicles( Wii exclusive)

Don't get any crappy spin-offs like Outbreak, and blah blah

GANGSTASAN

For the record, Resident Evil 2 and 3 are also on GC.

Anyway, I suggest just buying one at first (Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube is a good bet, or Code Veronica on PS2) and seeing how you like it. The pre-RE4 games really are VASTLY different from RE4, so liking that one is no indication that you'll like the others.

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts

Resident Evil 1, REmake, 2, and 3 are awesome- the first one is by far the best though.

I really hated some of the bizaare stuff in CV and Zero. RE1 has been my favorite game ever since it launched and I can't believe some of the stuff that happened later in the series. Nemesis was about all I could handle.

But since you're one of those new "Resident Evil Fans" because you've played 4, you probably won't like the actual RE games. But you should definitely try the original and take it from there, hopefully you'll like it.

masterfarticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 masterfarticus
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts
nope, 4 was nothing like the other ones.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts

Finaru

As a Resident Evil fan I agree.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Resi 1,2,3 and the remakes. But I hate RE4. grrrrrr.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I think its best for you to start with RE2, because it will be the easiest for you and its a great story (unlike RE4). Then play RE1 on the gamecube or playstation if you have to (gamecube is superior). After that play 3, but be sure to play on hard. In the western version of the game they switched the hard and easy making the easy mode "Normal" and the hard mode an extra mode of play. In the original Japanese version the "Heavy" version is the main version of play and its much more difficult. After that play Code Veronica, which is the hardest game, but its very rewarding. You might also want to play zero, but plotwise its a severe disappointment.

her0carn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 her0carn
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts

RE:1 was my favourite game on psx around the time it launched cause my brother introduced it to me and scared the crap outta me. Later on a few years down the track me and my mates played it one night for like 4 hours straight and we all had the light on and was so funny looking back. Got pretty far and forgot to save died in the Second mansion in the bee room gg LOL.

I've never finished a RE game ever in my life. And i've played all of them and watched my friends beat them all.

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts
Play 1, 2, 3 in order, it doesn't make any sense to skip around.
slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

Play the series. You might hate the fixed camera controls, so I'd try one before you play them all. Here's the order I recommend:

Resident Evil Remake (GC)

Resident Evil 2 (PS)

Resident Evil 3 (PS)

Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2, Wii)

Resident Evil 5 (X360, PS3)

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
Get them all ( Code veronica included ) simply because they are worth playing but dont go in expecting RE4 lite.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I wouldn't buy them all at once since 4 is different from the other games in the series.

You should start with the remake of Resident Evil first to see if you'll like the style of the other games.

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
I would buy them all but focus on 2 and 3.
Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts
[QUOTE="Finaru"]

gokuofheaven

I have to agree.

But personally RE2 is still the favorite. RE:Zero has to be second.

RE4 changed and even if it is a great looking game...it's just not the same...

You must mean your personal 2nd fav, 'cause RE0 isn't referred to as the 2nd best RE game by the general RE fanbase. The RE1 REmake crushes it, but RE0 is worth owning.

I'd pretty much recommend every RE game except those 1st person shooter REs, and those online ones.

speculative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 speculative
Member since 2003 • 176 Posts
RE 2 is also available on Dreamcast along with Code: Veronica. I'm thinking about picking it up on DC since the graphics should be better than the PS2 version.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
Buy one to see if you like it because the controls are different then Resident Evil 4.
MrHatnClogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrHatnClogs
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts

Finaru

When I read the previews for RE4, That there wouldn't be any of the classic zombies, I thought it was going to suck but I actually liked it when I rented it.

MrHatnClogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrHatnClogs
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts

These are what I have so far that I wouldrecommend: Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 2

Also, play these at like midnight with the lights turned off or dimmed, it really adds to thecreepiness and REALLY puts the Horror in Survival Horror...... Good luck if you can find these.

Also, I rented RE:Outbreak and it's okay.Disappointingif you ask me.

spydersvenom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 spydersvenom7
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

I think it's important that we define "all", because by saying that you are implying games you may not even know exist like:

-Outbreak 1&2 (PS2 online-only multiplayer game that no longer has online servers, so obviously a pass)
-Dead Aim (PS2) - A gun game that doesn't work on HDTVs because of the guncon limitations (anyone really have a Guncon 4?)

And I'm sure there were a couple other offshoots.

As said before, RE 4 is not like the others, but if you liked the story and the gameplay alike, it would be good to know your roots and experience a few different worlds of Resident Evil. I think what's best is that each game gave a huge tweak to make it just a little bit different.

Resident Evil 1 (PC, PSX, Saturn, GC (gorgeous remake), DS) - Basically a haunted house with some creepy secrets in the basement.

Resident Evil 2 (PC, PSX, DC, GC) - Adds the big city to the mix, but mostly you are holed up in a police station or an underground lab. Multiple characters and many think of it as best in series (but that's another post). probably most expensive to buy.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PC, PSX, DC, GC) - Actual big city exploration, spend most of your time on the streets, getting stalked by a big boss-like guy called Nemesis throughout.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (DC, PS2, PC?) - New take that many liked, kind of background story, trapped on an island and then end up in the Antarctic.

Resident Evil Zero (GC, Wii (only in Japan)) - This takes you to a storyline before the first game takes place (the ending is roughly the beginning of the first game). Tougher than others, in my opinion, great graphics, much more "low ammo" survival horror.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) - Gun game that is a tough form of the genre on the Wii with an RE skin. Plus side: lots of plot from the various games.

If you're going to try just one, I'd almost say to try the original remake on GC because it tends to blend many of the elements of old and new, gets you used to the challenge, and isn't expensive. That and it gets you the intro to where this all began. If you like that one, spend the money to get the rest. I, personally, did not like Zero and find pretty different from the others and I consider myself a huge RE fan (have all the games, movies, books, etc). Hope this helps, but I'd start with the first and work from there.

alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

Play the series. You might hate the fixed camera controls, so I'd try one before you play them all. Here's the order I recommend:

Resident Evil Remake (GC)

Resident Evil 2 (PS)

Resident Evil 3 (PS)

Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2, Wii)

Resident Evil 5 (X360, PS3)

slimdave21

We'll depends, if your one of the new breed of RE fans who have played number 4 and only 4 then sure give RE1 or RE2 a try also it introduces you to keep members of the universe, if you have a Wii or gamecube then just get RE 0, Remake, 2,3, Code vernonica and then 5 when it comes out. As someone said before dont bother with the spin off games because 98% of the time i felt let down by playing them. But the RE series is one hell of a great gaming series

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
why not there all good
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

these ones are probably your best bet ( im currently working on this too )

Resident Evil ( gamecube REmake )

Resident Evil 2 ( PS1 or N64 ( the gamecube version is 30 bucks, no thanks ))

Resident Evil 3 ( i'm not even sure about this one, it was supposed to be a side story but it took 3 instead of code veronica, another one thats 30 bucks on gamecube, so just settle for PS1 or N64 )

Resident Evil: Code Veronica ( GC, Dreamcast, i think PS2... this one has been hard for me to find though )

Resident Evil 4 ( WII version is by far the best, if you dont have it then oh well )

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles ( also for WII, good installment if you like a rundown of everything in a fun twist, plus you play as wesker so thats cool too )

Resident Evil Outbreak ( files 1 and 2 ) ( i heard this was good, i never really got into it, but if you've got a PS2 then by all means )

Runerey619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Runerey619
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts
[QUOTE="Finaru"]

bigd575

Yea i agree if you want them because you really like 4 then you want like the rest most likly but i've been playing RE since the first one but for some reson i really like RE4 i thank it's the best one so far. But that just me

I disagree, i loved the first resident evil game all the way till RE4.

I mean, they have to change the story right? or else what? You'll be killing zombies ever since 1996? how boring is that?

1mpaler-w6rbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1mpaler-w6rbnd
Member since 2008 • 1992 Posts
Yes. And I mean complete teh series.