Saints Row IV Won't Be Sold In Australia - Ban Upheld

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShermheadRyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ShermheadRyder
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149
phantomxxxxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 phantomxxxxxxx
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Clearly Australian adults are not mature enough to play that game.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
Its cheaper to import any way
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

huh?

I thought they finally implemented an 18+ rating, that would get rid of these garbage bans.

what's the problem now?

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

The entire way Australia treats video games is ridiculous.  I don't get it. 

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
So the problem is simply that the game can't feature drugs as a reward? That sounds easy enough to fix.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149ShermheadRyder
Question: can the ratings board simply choose to give the game a rating that allows it to be sold? Or would doing that be illegal under Australia's laws?
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Poor Australia.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

The entire way Australia treats video games is ridiculous. I don't get it.

Alpha_S_

after years of Crocodile Dundee and Foster's Beer commercials, gaming has taught us the truth about Australia. What a bunch of pansies. A little bit of comic violence and tongue-in-cheek lawbreaking and they're on top of the chair, clinching their skirts.

ShermheadRyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShermheadRyder
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
[QUOTE="ShermheadRyder"]What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149MrGeezer
Question: can the ratings board simply choose to give the game a rating that allows it to be sold? Or would doing that be illegal under Australia's laws?

Yes they can. But the original unedited version of the game, which will be sold in UK,US etc will be illegal to sell in Australia.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="ShermheadRyder"] Yes they can. But the original unedited version of the game, which will be sold in UK,US etc will be illegal to sell in Australia.

I think I'm a little bit confused here. You say that they can choose to just give the game a passing rating regardless on content, but it's also illegal to sell the game. How does that work, exactly? Does that law specifically ban games containing certain content? Or does that law specifically ban games with a certain rating? Or does the law simply give the ratings board complete and total control in deciding what games are allowed? How exactly does this law work?
Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
Doesn't really matter since they can just import from the UK, works out cheaper for them as well.
Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tokeism
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="ShermheadRyder"] Yes they can. But the original unedited version of the game, which will be sold in UK,US etc will be illegal to sell in Australia.

I think I'm a little bit confused here. You say that they can choose to just give the game a passing rating regardless on content, but it's also illegal to sell the game. How does that work, exactly? Does that law specifically ban games containing certain content? Or does that law specifically ban games with a certain rating? Or does the law simply give the ratings board complete and total control in deciding what games are allowed? How exactly does this law work?

There are classification guide lines which the board follows to rate game (g to r18), but in the end the board has total control over what games are allowed
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

The only BAN that is able to PASS in Australia is a RAY BAN I guess xD

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1560 Posts
couldn't y'all just import the game?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

import it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69736 Posts

What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish.http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149ShermheadRyder

Adults decided that other adults would make the decision of what games are acceptable. I don't understand why some folks cannot accept that not all societies are the same. I thought this was taught at an early age. :|

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Ridiculous beyond belief.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
For those who say to just import it, that's a big no-no. If you get caught importing it (unlikely I know but you never know), I think you get a massive fine.
Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tokeism
For those who say to just import it, that's a big no-no. If you get caught importing it (unlikely I know but you never know), I think you get a massive fine. hrt_rulz01
No, Its not illegal to own / import, its only illegal for an Australia store to sell it. Plus I think customs has more important things to do then stop the importation of a video game
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Yeah we got the R18+ but for some reason they only updated the use of violence and not drugs and sexual content
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]For those who say to just import it, that's a big no-no. If you get caught importing it (unlikely I know but you never know), I think you get a massive fine. Tokeism
No, Its not illegal to own / import, its only illegal for an Australia store to sell it. Plus I think customs has more important things to do then stop the importation of a video game

I'm sure I read on a document from the classification board that it's illegal to import it as well...
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Tokeism"][QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]For those who say to just import it, that's a big no-no. If you get caught importing it (unlikely I know but you never know), I think you get a massive fine. hrt_rulz01

I'm sure I read on a document from the classification board that it's illegal to import it as well...

Can only speak for germany and german law, but here, if a game is indicated, you are perfectly fine to still import it, even to BUY it. Ony SELLING and advertising for is forbidden. Buying, owning it = perfectly fine and legal.

Which makes the whole censoring / banning / indicating stuff even more ridiculous...ah well....

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1560 Posts

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"][QUOTE="Tokeism"] No, Its not illegal to own / import, its only illegal for an Australia store to sell it. Plus I think customs has more important things to do then stop the importation of a video gameJustforvisit

Can only speak for germany and german law, but here, if a game is indicated, you are perfectly fine to still import it, even to BUY it. Ony SELLING and advertising for is forbidden. Buying, owning it = perfectly fine and legal.

Which makes the whole censoring / banning / indicating stuff even more ridiculous...ah well....

at least theirs a loop whole
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

[QUOTE="ShermheadRyder"]What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish.http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149Pedro

Adults decided that other adults would make the decision of what games are acceptable. I don't understand why some folks cannot accept that not all societies are the same. I thought this was taught at an early age. :|

Stop it. Culture isn't a sufficient defense for idiocy (or much of anything for that matter). One can accept the idiosyncrasies of another (and by "accept" I mean cohabitate with those individuals) without respecting those behaviors as his/her own. To say nothing else about Australia, some of us would just prefer to live in a society where this particular kind of abridgement of free speech doesn't exist. Really nothing wrong with that. Certainly no need to be condescending.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69736 Posts

Stop it. Culture isn't a sufficient defense for idiocy (or much of anything for that matter). One can accept the idiosyncrasies of another (and by "accept" I mean cohabitate with those individuals) without respecting those behaviors as his/her own. To say nothing else about Australia, some of us would just prefer to live in a society where this particular kind of abridgement of free speech doesn't exist. Really nothing wrong with that. Certainly no need to be condescending.

Ish_basic

In your view its idiotic and your view is based on the culture that has sculpted your way of thinking. You now have the belief that YOUR view is the "correct" point of view, making all views that doesn't fall in line with yours incorrect. But somehow I am the condescending one.:| I am not saying that my post canot be interpretted as such but, the reality still remains that the decision for Australia to ban the game is theirs and not yours. It maybe wrong for you but not for them. It does not make the people who made this decision idiotic but simply different. So could you kindly get over yourself?:D

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Looks like things may be turning out differently now...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/modified-saints-row-iv-classified-ma15-in-australia-6412425

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149ShermheadRyder
Who gives a flying buttprobe what they do with physical disc. People can just buy it online and download it so i cant really see a problem,
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="ShermheadRyder"]What do you guys think of this? I personally think it's ridiculous; adults should have the free will to choose to play what they wish. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-iv-ban-upheld-in-australia-6412149Jacanuk
Who gives a flying buttprobe what they do with physical disc. People can just buy it online and download it so i cant really see a problem,

You might think so, but the goverment is very well capable of forbid the distribution of the game online as well. Try get Dead Island from a german Steam Account, good luck!