Saints Row 2: better than GTA IV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I'm a big sandbox game fan and lately I've been playing both GTA IV and Saints Row 2. Although I think GTA IV is a really great game, I still can see why many people dismissed it as a weak, boring chapter of the series: all the fun activities that were available in GTA San Andreas are nowhere to be found in IV: there are no more airplanes, no funny vehicles or funny-over the top weapons, no more crazy stunts (jumping off a mountain), also the game area is limited to a single city, as opposed to the four cities in San Andreas. Officially, the reason for all this is the more realistic approach rockstar took with this chapter, but ultimately resulting in an experience that will leave a somewhat bitter taste for the things that could have been in it but weren't.

Saints row 2, on the other hand, seems to be what GTA IV should have been: it lets you create a character from scratch, choosing sex, age, body shape, race, hairstyle, facial features, with unlimited customization options (as opposed to IV that only lets you customize a few details), you can buy dozens of clothes and accessories (ranging from underwear to suits, dresses, earrings and such) and mess around with them as you wish (dress up your guy as a woman and run around the city) and even choose how every piece of clothing is worn (for instance your shirt can be tucked or untucked, open or closed). You can steal every vehicle you see, including planes and you get rewarded for performing insane stunts. You gradually become more powerful and can hire henchmen to back you up, while in IV you're generally on your own.
Saints Row 2 also introduced checkpoints during the missions, avoiding those infuriating restarts when you die in IV.
Also the shooting in SR2 is FUN, as opposed to GTA IV, which feels like a frustrating chore at times.

On the bad side, SR2 looks terrible for today standards: it could easily be mistaken for an original xbox game, while as we know GTA IV looks gorgeous.

The story in SR2 is good, nothing original, but it will suck you in to see what happens next, although it's not written as nicely as the story of GTA IV.

So, SR2 ends up being a technically unimpressive game taht manages to be the spiritual successor to San Andreas, reprising many of the best features of that game, which were dropped by the official sequel, GTA IV.

My question for you is: can we say that Saints Row 2 is ultimately better or on par with GTA IV? Discuss.

Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts

As you stated, SR2's graphics are quite lame, GTA4's are quite awesome; SR2 has character creation, GTA4 does not. SR2 has non-repetitive missions, GTA4 does, GTA4's gameplay handles better than SR2.

Score: GTA4 - 2

SR2 - 2

We have a tie.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

SR2 is pretty much unplayable on the PC so I hate and I wish it would die.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Just to keep away from controversy, I won't answer the original question --BUT-- IF you like Saints Row 2 --DEFINITELY-- try Red Faction: Guerrilla. It's also by Volition, it was being developed for four years, the destruction engine is awesome, it's getting multiple DLC's and is just a ton of fun...

(including its online!)

It doesn't have character creation but most of the other things you may have liked in SR2 are also true in RF:G (including gaining influence and having other guerrillas join you when you fight)!

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Quick answer: "Hell No", but this topic has been beaten to death.

Imm0ral_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Imm0ral_Knight
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts
GTA IV
xibxanggduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xibxanggduk
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'd like to think that GTA IV is the better game but I have to admit that it might be the snob in me that says this. The graphics, story, script, mood, narrative and general feel of GTA IV are superb. SR2 is crass, buggy, wrong, cliched, tarty and gung-ho. SR2 is everything that's wrong about a sandbox game. However, all of those wrongs are carried off and executed almost perfectly. GTA IV is like a tweed jacket made by Versace. You know it's quality but it feels a bit dull. SR2 is a genuine pair of Air Jordans made by Matalan. I completed SR2. I got to about 60% through GTA and lost interest. I'm gonna say it... I think SR2 might actually be the better game.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#8 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Quick answer: "Hell No", but this topic has been beaten to death.

Dire_Weasel
Change my answer to Hell Yes, but keep everything else the same.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I didn't like Saints Row 2....... it felt TOO much like GTA

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

SR2 is way better than GTAIV. I think they spent too much times on graphics, and should of spent more time on content. It happens all the time nowadays. Work so hard on graphics and the game suffers. I love replaying SR2. Its got alot of stuff to do, tons of stuff to wear. Its a fun game. GTAIV is funt o play. But it gets old fast.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#11 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I didn't like Saints Row 2....... it felt TOO much like GTA

Chris_Williams
Sure in that Halo feels too much like Doom.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
GTAIV is immersive realism, SR2 is wacky fun. Also, have you even played the Xbox? SR2 may not be as technically impressive, but it's certainly up to par with today's technology.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10598 Posts

SR2 is pretty much unplayable on the PC so I hate and I wish it would die.

rzepak

agreed, cant speak for consoles but the gulf in class between the two games on pc is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

DManSteelerFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 DManSteelerFan
Member since 2009 • 1097 Posts
Yes, with flying colors!
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
To me GTA4 then SR2....
ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ps3tim
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts
ive played them both and own gtaIV and let me tell you, SR SUCKED!!!!!! It was nothing compared to gta. The only thing it had to offer was player creation nothing else! :evil:
LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
i loved Saints row 2 far more than GTA, i liked it more because it wasn't as "nitty gritty" it was more FUN
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Saints Row 2 is a bit more fun and does certain things better IMO. That said, overall, I think GTA4 is the better of the two.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="Ironserpent"]

As you stated, SR2's graphics are quite lame, GTA4's are quite awesome; SR2 has character creation, GTA4 does not. SR2 has non-repetitive missions, GTA4 does, GTA4's gameplay handles better than SR2.

Score: GTA4 - 2

SR2 - 2

We have a tie.

Hard to really say which one is better, some people like GTA more and some will like SR2 more...GTA 4 to alot of people felt to realistic and took the fun out of the game while SR2 felt alot like GTA games of the past, I would still take GTA 4 over it, just because its a better game to me.
energy5word

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 energy5word
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
sr2 is far more fun in my opinion not as serious as gta IV and sr2 had a better story and the cut scenes were more humorous and exciting
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
One of the biggest problems of SR2 is that it just feels old. The graphics look like a budget title and the combat is really antiquated. The lack of any cover system or any real nuances in the combat system make it feel hopelessly outdated and simple. The other problem with that combat system is that your character is a god. I don't know if anyone else felt this way, but I found Saints Row 2 to be a VERY easy game. My character was a nigh-invulnerable wrecking machine. I mean, that's fun to an extent, but it's also not what i'd consider AAA quality. GTA IV is just a better made, bigger production. Also, I didn't find SR2's missions much less repetitive than GTA's...though honestly, I didn't find either repetitive. What I DID find repetitive and flat-out annoying was SR2's respect meter, which is simply terrible. so yeah, GTA IV >> SR2 Also, SR2 the better story? That's just insane.
ktc0ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ktc0ut
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

I enjoyed the customization of SR:2 but GTAIV had a lot more work put into it with more seasoned programmers in my opinion. However, I found myself playing SR:2 a lot more considering the general fun factor and personal character/environmental customization really keeps me playing. SR:2 has a very colorful light hearted environment with GTAIV being very dark and heavy with some good humor and voice acting. I would probably say GTAIV deserves to be called the "better" game, but it is a very close call.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]One of the biggest problems of SR2 is that it just feels old. The graphics look like a budget title and the combat is really antiquated. The lack of any cover system or any real nuances in the combat system make it feel hopelessly outdated and simple. The other problem with that combat system is that your character is a god. I don't know if anyone else felt this way, but I found Saints Row 2 to be a VERY easy game. My character was a nigh-invulnerable wrecking machine. I mean, that's fun to an extent, but it's also not what i'd consider AAA quality. GTA IV is just a better made, bigger production. Also, I didn't find SR2's missions much less repetitive than GTA's...though honestly, I didn't find either repetitive. What I DID find repetitive and flat-out annoying was SR2's respect meter, which is simply terrible. so yeah, GTA IV >> SR2 Also, SR2 the better story? That's just insane.

I just beat SR2 and I had a lot of fun. I have to agree on the fact that it's a fairly easy, with some sudden frustration spikes here and there. The gunplay is fun, way better than GTAIV's (the weapons are way better too), although it's too easy to quickly dispatch any enemy. I didn't find any repetition in the mission design, and although the respect bar is mildly annoying, you can fill it easily enough. In the end, both are great games, but SR2 kept me hooked to the very end and I beat it in a few days, while I still have to beat GTAIV after at least three months.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Paladin_King
I just beat SR2 and I had a lot of fun. I have to agree on the fact that it's a fairly easy, with some sudden frustration spikes here and there. The gunplay is fun, way better than GTAIV's (the weapons are way better too), although it's too easy to quickly dispatch any enemy. I didn't find any repetition in the mission design, and although the respect bar is mildly annoying, you can fill it easily enough. In the end, both are great games, but SR2 kept me hooked to the very end and I beat it in a few days, while I still have to beat GTAIV after at least three months.Black_Knight_00
Don't get me wrong, Saints Row 2 is a fun game and I enjoyed it, but I am simply unable to understand how anyone could call SR2's gunplay "way better" than GTA's, considering it's about as easy and simple as is possible. Seriously, it's pretty much point in general direction, shoot.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

This may be blasphemy, but SR2 was more fun to me than GTAIV. Yes GTAIV has better graphics, storyline, main character, ect. But it's just not as fun, IMO.

StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#26 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

It's nowhere near as good as GTA IV is. GTA's story is great. SA2's story is just a rehash of the first one. Both games are repetitive but at least GTA didn't draw out it's length by forcing me to earn rep.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I just beat SR2 and I had a lot of fun. I have to agree on the fact that it's a fairly easy, with some sudden frustration spikes here and there. The gunplay is fun, way better than GTAIV's (the weapons are way better too), although it's too easy to quickly dispatch any enemy. I didn't find any repetition in the mission design, and although the respect bar is mildly annoying, you can fill it easily enough. In the end, both are great games, but SR2 kept me hooked to the very end and I beat it in a few days, while I still have to beat GTAIV after at least three months.Paladin_King
Don't get me wrong, Saints Row 2 is a fun game and I enjoyed it, but I am simply unable to understand how anyone could call SR2's gunplay "way better" than GTA's, considering it's about as easy and simple as is possible. Seriously, it's pretty much point in general direction, shoot.

Well, its simple mechanics is what makes it better imo: yes, it's just strafe and shoot, flee when you're dying, duck behind somewhere waiting for your health to recharge, rinse and repeat, but at least it's never frustrating (except when you get run over or blown away from exploding cars): if you messed thing up, just run away, get your health back up and try again. This allows you to be a bit more reckless, while in GTA you have to be very careful because you can rarely recover health and death means starting the mission over, as opposed to the checkpoint system in SR2. Also, the weapons in GTA feel less accurate and this turns the sections with enemies taking cover in a redundant whack-a-mole contest, since you can basically hit them only when you have a lock on them. Maybe it's wrong to say that SR2's gunplay is flat out better, but it's surely more entertaining and less infuriating when you die that GTA's.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Paladin_King
Well, its simple mechanics is what makes it better imo: yes, it's just strafe and shoot, flee when you're dying, duck behind somewhere waiting for your health to recharge, rinse and repeat, but at least it's never frustrating (except when you get run over or blown away from exploding cars): if you messed thing up, just run away, get your health back up and try again. This allows you to be a bit more reckless, while in GTA you have to be very careful because you can rarely recover health and death means starting the mission over, as opposed to the checkpoint system in SR2. Also, the weapons in GTA feel less accurate and this turns the sections with enemies taking cover in a redundant whack-a-mole contest, since you can basically hit them only when you have a lock on them. Maybe it's wrong to say that SR2's gunplay is flat out better, but it's surely more entertaining and less infuriating when you die that GTA's.Black_Knight_00
Obviously this is a difference of opinion then. You're basically saying that you liked a game due to its sheer easiness. GTA IV's gunplay was far more nuanced, challenging, and realistic. For the reasons you've outlined, SR2 was basically impossible to lose.
Nawshus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nawshus
Member since 2009 • 89 Posts
everyone agrees that saints row 2 is funner, graphics sounds bla bla it doesn't count if a game is clearly more funner. Games are about fun, not realism or lighting effects. SR2>>>Overhyped dull GTA IV
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Paladin_King
everyone agrees that saints row 2 is funner, graphics sounds bla bla it doesn't count if a game is clearly more funner. Games are about fun, not realism or lighting effects. SR2>>>Overhyped dull GTA IVNawshus
Nice misuse of the word "everyone."
jJaAmMeEsS2184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jJaAmMeEsS2184
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

I liked GTAIV better...SR2 was basically the same as 1...I don't like therespect part of SR(some are fun on SR2, but I hated blazin thru missions then having to stop and build up respect)...add some side missions instead of little tasks, besides you're the leader this time..others should be respecting you lol...on the otherhand, the dating and hanging out part of GTA got annoying too, seemed that they would call right when you are about to do something..but if you accept, and call back and say you can't make it...it's all good..

also I experienced a ton of glitches on SR2..nothin too serious(mini map dissapearing, loud bang and suddenly my car comes to a dead stop, parts of my characters face dissapearing during some cutscenes, exited a car one time and the sound of the car at full revkept playin the whole time till I finished the mission I was on, and just some other random short freezes, and skipping music)..brand new game too...no problems with my 360 either (so far)

one plus for SR is the wanted level meter...it's so easy to lose your heat...GTAIV on the otherhand, I got a little annoyed after a while having to lose cops chasing me...I'm an excellent, but reckless driver..I'm always tryin to go as fast as possible..pretty good at it I think, but them damm peds, and dumb cops turning in front of you..then the chase is on to lose the cop or cops...making you go out of your way to lose them..just got old after a few hours into the game..especially if you had a destination you were trying to reach

overall I'd have to say Rockstar is still on top of their game when it comes to these kind of games..

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I played Saints Row One and that was a surprisingly good game. Definitely on par with the past GTA's. GTA 4 certainly was an amazing game, however, and raised the bar. I haven't tried SR2 yet, so I cant honestly say.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#33 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

I played Saints Row One and that was a surprisingly good game. Definitely on par with the past GTA's. GTA 4 certainly was an amazing game, however, and raised the bar. I haven't tried SR2 yet, so I cant honestly say.

sonicare
If you liked SR1 it's safe to say you'll like SR2 as much if not more. At least I did.
MrSmoothPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrSmoothPotato
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts

Saints row 2 was the better game in my humble opinion. GTA just got too boring for me and the driving was too realistic, meaning you couldnt really drive so fast and turn a sharp corner without spinning out like you sometimes need to. Saints Row 2's co-op was amazing and me and my friend played it to death till we completed it and then moved onto the multiplayer.

I have to say, the multiplayer on Saints Row 1 was atleast 20 times better than Saints Row 2's. I played Saints Row 1 online for a full year without getting bored. Thats replay value, and thats what made the game interesting, the gang system etc. Saints Row 2 had non of this, and I stopped playing online after about 2 weeks.

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#35 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
If that's your subjective opinion, then yes, you are welcome to express that. Why do you need to ask if it's ok?
Trooperdx3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Trooperdx3117
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
Two words Brucie Kibbutz, make of that what you will.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10598 Posts

everyone agrees that saints row 2 is funner, graphics sounds bla bla it doesn't count if a game is clearly more funner. Games are about fun, not realism or lighting effects. SR2>>>Overhyped dull GTA IVNawshus

funner lol

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Oy...look, we've had this topic far too many times in the past, and I really don't think it's needed to bring it back, because ultimately, it's been beaten to death and then some in previous SR2 and GTA4 conversation threads.