Regional Encoding

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SBF9304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 SBF9304
Member since 2004 • 309 Posts
Are the video games region encoded just like DVDs, or could I buy a EU game and play it here in the US with no problem.
Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

Xbox 360 and Wii games are in fact region encoded. PS3, DS and PC games are not.

If you're going to play an EU game, you might need to install a mod chip in your console that can pick up other regions. Or pick up a console from that region...

SoulSlayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SoulSlayer_
Member since 2005 • 3426 Posts
How can you be a gamer and not know about region encoding? *looks at profile* Ah, well that explains a lot... Well, PC and handheld games don't have region encoding. PS3 is pretty much the first home console without region encoding. If you want to play console games from Europe, aside from a way to be able to run the games on your console (or just buy a European console), you're also gonna need a TV that supports PAL (EU standard). In Europe, all TVs from the last... ever support NTSC (US standard), but I've heard that TVs in the US that support PAL are pretty much nonexistent.
SBF9304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 SBF9304
Member since 2004 • 309 Posts

Okay, a few more things....

A) I can't wait and show this to the guy who set up my laptop, telling me I've got to grow out of video games (well, I am 26, but still I'm not the game geek who spends +6 hours a day in video games (although sometimes I spend that much time with movies)).

B) Now that I know a EU game will work in my DS, I have an addition question. I just downloaded/updated my Action Replay and downloaded codes for the EU games Pirates of the Caribean (both Dead Man's Chest and World's End), Hotel Dusk 215, and Lost in Blue 2. But I have the US games of those. Will the EU codes work for the US game versions or not (or will it if attempted to use, cuase harm to DS and/or games and/or Action Replay)