Rayman: Origins impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Got my copy from GameFly today, played it for an hour. Game's great, beautiful too. Definitely feels like a throwback to the original Rayman game (some enemies and a bit of the structure are lifted right out of the first game), with the multiplayer madness of New Super Mario Bros. Wii tossed in for good measure.

It's a pretty standard platformer, so far. You run through vibrantly colored levels jumping about, grabbing collectibles, fighting monsters, and, assuming you play cooperatively, partaking in all sorts of crazy shenanigans. I played it with a second player in tow, and it was a lot of fun. Having another player around didn't seem to complicate things needlessly like these games are often wont to do. Seems like it'd be perfectly competent played as a single-player only game, though the multiplayer is where the game shines. The sheer chaos of multiple players jumping around and accidentally (or purposely) hindering each other's progress suits the goofy tone of it all perfectly.

Looks like there's a lot of content to delve into as well. Nothing spectacular, mind you -- just some time trials and hidden collectibles to find that correspond to unlockable costumes and the like -- but hey, it's something. Controls feel good, though it can at times be a touch difficult to control the character's mid-jump. They like to overshoot platforms and don't always jump as far as I'd like in spots. Probably just me having to get used to the mechanics, though, so it's hardly a big problem.

Anyone else here playing this fine platformer?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I Gamefly'd it, but it hasn't arrived yet. I suspect I'm just going to hit the "Keep It" button, though, as I'm a huge fan of Rayman and platformers are such a rare genre these days. I've heard near unanimous praise for the game, and I can't wait to check it out.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I want to play it but there's just so much other great stuff this holiday that I've put it on hold. And given that it's a Ubisoft game, I'd imagine it'll drop in price really fast.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I'd like to play it too. Looks like another colorful, geniunely fun platformer. I enjoyed DKCR and NSMB-Wii a lot, and this looks right up there with those two. Long live platformers!

Just wish I had the cash. I could definitely buy it, I've got enough, but I really should'nt, at least for now. I'll have to wait for a price drop. Shame, it looks like a lot of fun.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

I will be getting this on Black Friday for sure

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I want to play it but there's just so much other great stuff this holiday that I've put it on hold. And given that it's a Ubisoft game, I'd imagine it'll drop in price really fast.

Why is this game coming out now, anyway? Are they purposely burying it under Skyward Sword, Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.2?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I want to play it but there's just so much other great stuff this holiday that I've put it on hold. And given that it's a Ubisoft game, I'd imagine it'll drop in price really fast.Oilers99
Why is this game coming out now, anyway? Are they purposely burying it under Skyward Sword, Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.2?

AC 2.2? I honestly have NO IDEA where you got that from. Is it because it's still part of the AC II storyline? Maybe so, but AC Revelations has the same gameplay that remains the same while bringing in changes that haven't been seen in either ACII or Brotherhood, for that matter. You have played AC Revelations, haven't you? Or not yet?

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Oilers99

[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I want to play it but there's just so much other great stuff this holiday that I've put it on hold. And given that it's a Ubisoft game, I'd imagine it'll drop in price really fast.Metamania

AC 2.2? I honestly have NO IDEA where you got that from. Is it because it's still part of the AC II storyline? Maybe so, but AC Revelations has the same gameplay that remains the same while bringing in changes that haven't been seen in either ACII or Brotherhood, for that matter. You have played AC Revelations, haven't you? Or not yet?

I am writing this on a iPad's built in keyboard. Shorthand is at a premium. -_-
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Oilers99"] Why is this game coming out now, anyway? Are they purposely burying it under Skyward Sword, Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.2?Oilers99

I am writing this on a iPad's built in keyboard. Shorthand is at a premium. -_-

Indeed!

But back to the original posting...I have every intention of picking up Rayman Origins and seeing what the hoopola was surrounding the series when it first started coming out years ago. Seems like a solid platformer that looks gorgeous for the eyes.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

I Gamefly'd it, but it hasn't arrived yet. I suspect I'm just going to hit the "Keep It" button, though, as I'm a huge fan of Rayman and platformers are such a rare genre these days. I've heard near unanimous praise for the game, and I can't wait to check it out.

Shame-usBlackley
Yup, same here on both counts.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I loved the demo - but unfortunately, there's way too many games to play in November alone and not enough time. I'll purchase it eventually, but chances are it won't be at $59.99.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Why is this game coming out now, anyway? Are they purposely burying it under Skyward Sword, Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.2?Oilers99

I have no idea. Very dumb move on their part, though. Game doesn't have much of a chance at success at this point.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dracula68

[QUOTE="Oilers99"] Why is this game coming out now, anyway? Are they purposely burying it under Skyward Sword, Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.2?c_rake

I have no idea. Very dumb move on their part, though. Game doesn't have much of a chance at success at this point.

For some reason I thought it was coming out 1st quarter 2012.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oilers99

[QUOTE="Oilers99"] Why is this game coming out now, anyway? Are they purposely burying it under Skyward Sword, Skyrim, MW3, Battlefield 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.2?c_rake

I have a feeling this game might get ICO'd/Beyond Good and Evil'd... a great game that gains attention from passionate fans after the buzz around the season's biggest games dies down.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I finally got to try the demo yesterday. It is quite good, but I think I am missing that "nostalgia" aspect to really appreciate it. People keep telling me the controls are "prefect" but I just don't see it. Rayman's movement is a little skitchy when changing direction, and it isn't as smooth as I've come to expect from 2D platformers these days. I would play it if I could get it for $15-20 on XBLA.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'd love to play it, but I dont have Gamefly anymore and I dont wanna pay 60 bucks for it. =P
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Metamania

I'd love to play it, but I dont have Gamefly anymore and I dont wanna pay 60 bucks for it. =PAllicrombie

Yeah, I'm thinking about waiting for the price to drop down for it. In fact, I'm not sure how long the game will be, so if it's a short game, no point in buying it now.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I played the demo and loved it. It was a lot like Rayman on the ps1 which was an awesome game. I'll definitely pick this game up some day but not now, probably next year when it drops in price. I just have to many game to play atm. And I agree that releasing this game now was a mistake. It will get overshadowed by bigger games like BF3, AC:R, MW3, etc. It's like they did it on purpose...
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I'd love to play it, but I dont have Gamefly anymore and I dont wanna pay 60 bucks for it. =PMetamania

Yeah, I'm thinking about waiting for the price to drop down for it. In fact, I'm not sure how long the game will be, so if it's a short game, no point in buying it now.

$40 on Black Friday at Gamestop

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I would love to get it, as I always love a good platformer... It's definitely on list of games I'm planning on purchasing at some point in the future.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I'd love to play it, but I dont have Gamefly anymore and I dont wanna pay 60 bucks for it. =Pmegadeth1117

$40 on Black Friday at Gamestop

Hmm...wonder how much MGS HD Collection would sell? I'm more interested in that than Rayman Origins at this point.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I just downloaded the demo but i haven't played it yet.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

At this point I've played the game extensively and I must say it is on the track to being the best 2D platformer ever created. After reaching the halfway point, the game goes into mega hyper overdrive! Having all of your powers makes all the difference! The level design is above Nintendo's super high standards and the set of abilities/ control are as smooth and perfect as any person could ever imagine! I loved the first Rayman on PS1 and Rayman 2 was the best game I played of the N64 generation, but Rayman's latest is clearly the best of the series.

symx8789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 symx8789
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

awesome, good to hear that pikmin. I had no hype for this game at all, but the ign review made me curious so i tried the demo and absolutely loved it. I preordered it right after playing and now its sitting here waiting for me to play, but i am first playing through rayman 2 on n64 to get more acquainted with the series. Glad to see it is as good as my first impressions were!

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 c_rakestraw  Moderator

At this point I've played the game extensively and I must say it is on the track to being the best 2D platformer ever created. After reaching the halfway point, the game goes into mega hyper overdrive! Having all of your powers makes all the difference! The level design is above Nintendo's super high standards and the set of abilities/ control are as smooth and perfect as any person could ever imagine! I loved the first Rayman on PS1 and Rayman 2 was the best game I played of the N64 generation, but Rayman's latest is clearly the best of the series.Pikminmaniac

So the platforming gets crazier? Sweet. I'm still in the early parts of the second world, so I haven't gotten much of the powers unlocked yet. I can only imagine what levels will throw at you once all the powers are available.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shame-usBlackley

Just played it... this game is amazing. It's nothing revolutionary, but it plays great and looks absolutely stunning. I'm just going to go buy it since Gamefly really doesn't do the game justice. I can tell I'm going to dig the s*** outta this game. Does anyone know if Michel Ancel had anything to do with this?

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Does anyone know if Michel Ancel had anything to do with this?

Shame-usBlackley
Lead designer.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pikminmaniac

Just played it... this game is amazing. It's nothing revolutionary, but it plays great and looks absolutely stunning. I'm just going to go buy it since Gamefly really doesn't do the game justice. I can tell I'm going to dig the s*** outta this game. Does anyone know if Michel Ancel had anything to do with this?

Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, this is the first game Michel has been completely in charge of creatively and otherwise since Beyond Good and Evil. It's obviously the reason why Rayman Origins is so darn good. Michel Ancel is a genius and I place him right next to Miyamoto for Game Directors that I respect.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Pikminmaniac

Yeah, this is the first game Michel has been completely in charge of creatively and otherwise since Beyond Good and Evil. It's obviously the reason why Rayman Origins is so darn good. Michel Ancel is a genius and I place him right next to Miyamoto for Game Directors that I respect.

Wow, that's why it feels so solid and has tons of personality. Dude may not make many games, but when he does, they're usually something pretty special. That just cements my decision to put this in the "buy" column. :)

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
I played the demo. Sweet Jesus, I loved the music. :) Being a musician, that is the thing I tend to notice most from games I play outside of competitive online shooters. Defininitely will pick it up this Black Friday.
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

Man, I tempted to pick it up now, but I'll wait a little longer.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pikminmaniac

OK, so I've gotten really far now in the game, and it has COMPLETELY EXPLODED MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy hell!!! Wall running is the greatest thing in the world! It is SO unfortunate that it probably won't sell very well :(

I think we have hit a new hallmark in 2D platforming

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hmm... I had a 2D platformer concept with wall-running. :3 Wish I had enough money to buy games I didn't have any real feelings about.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I played the demo. Sweet Jesus, I loved the music. :) Being a musician, that is the thing I tend to notice most from games I play outside of competitive online shooters. Defininitely will pick it up this Black Friday.CaptainAhab13

Completely agreed. The music is fantastic. Would love to own the soundtrack to this game.

OK, so I've gotten really far now in the game, and it has COMPLETELY EXPLODED MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy hell!!! Wall running is the greatest thing in the world! It is SO unfortunate that it probably won't sell very well :(

I think we have hit a new hallmark in 2D platforming

Pikminmaniac

Wall running? Awesome. I really need to pick up the pace on playing through this game.

Fluxation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fluxation
Member since 2011 • 37 Posts
Im a huge fan of the original Rayman, it was one of my first games i played. Im gonna get it for the Wii... (cheaper than the PS3 version :P). Its great to see it doing well.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Metamania

For anyone who has gotten through the game by this point...how long is the campaign in itself? Is it like Sonic Generations short? Or is it a really long platformer?

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

I got the demo and loved it, but part of my brain doesn't want to part with £40 for a platformer. I will rent it though.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dracula68
I'd love to play it, but I dont have Gamefly anymore and I dont wanna pay 60 bucks for it. =PAllicrombie
You and you old games. I would have stopped it too if I only rented old games:P Wow, I haven't had this much fun with a platformer in a long time. This really reminds me of Rayman on the PSX.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Really wishing I didn't buy BF3 now. I have a feeling that money would be much more wisely spent on Rayman than BF3.

Seeing this thread full of ppl enjoying it makes me a sad panda.

Are there any boss encounters in the game? Wishing to avoid spoilers of course, but do they just feel unique and awesome? Or kind of tacked on and slow down the pace?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Are there any boss encounters in the game? Wishing to avoid spoilers of course, but do they just feel unique and awesome? Or kind of tacked on and slow down the pace?MLBknights58

I've only encountered one so far, and it didn't seem like it disrupted the flow of the game. A little on the basic side, but overall it was fine.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pikminmaniac

Really wishing I didn't buy BF3 now. I have a feeling that money would be much more wisely spent on Rayman than BF3.

Seeing this thread full of ppl enjoying it makes me a sad panda.

Are there any boss encounters in the game? Wishing to avoid spoilers of course, but do they just feel unique and awesome? Or kind of tacked on and slow down the pace?

MLBknights58

After the halfway point, there are some major bosses that are VERY unique, well designed, and creative as well as quite difficult.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Oilers99

I got the demo and loved it, but part of my brain doesn't want to part with £40 for a platformer. I will rent it though.

DeX2010
Why is platforming fun less fun than other types of videogame fun? -_-
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

I got the game on PS3 and I'm kind of upset, I know to some it's no big deal but the PS3 version does not have a DD5.1 audio track it's only Dolby Prologic II. The 360 version has a DD 5.1 and the sound is much crisper. I love the game still and I'm enjoying but what the heck is UBI up to here? I wish I had bought the 360 version now.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I got the game on PS3 and I'm kind of upset, I know to some it's no big deal but the PS3 version does not have a DD5.1 audio track it's only Dolby Prologic II. The 360 version has a DD 5.1 and the sound is much crisper. I love the game still and I'm enjoying but what the heck is UBI up to here? I wish I had bought the 360 version now._Bear

Huh. Weird. Wonder why they couldn't be bothered to get 5.1 sound in both versions. Can't be that hard to do, I'd imagine.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

[QUOTE="_Bear"]I got the game on PS3 and I'm kind of upset, I know to some it's no big deal but the PS3 version does not have a DD5.1 audio track it's only Dolby Prologic II. The 360 version has a DD 5.1 and the sound is much crisper. I love the game still and I'm enjoying but what the heck is UBI up to here? I wish I had bought the 360 version now.c_rake

Huh. Weird. Wonder why they couldn't be bothered to get 5.1 sound in both versions. Can't be that hard to do, I'd imagine.

There really is quite a difference too, I downloaded the 360 demo just to see yesterday, and woe the sound is much fuller and encompassing. I hope they patch it. I have already written them to enquire about .
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the Wii version is? I will be getting it soon. Can't wait.