playerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 playerp
Member since 2019 • 47 Posts

1. When you pick up items, but then fail a mission and have to do the same things all over again, you will find the same items again. Does this mean that what you picked up before was lost when you had to respawn, or are you getting more of the same loot?

2. How come in Far Cry 3 (and is this common?) you have to complete a mission before turning off the game? If you don't, you have to start all over again, which is really frustrating if you are 3/4 through a tough mission. Why can't you continue from checkpoint saves the next day?

3. In Far Cry 3, when you "learn" different skills, how do you employ them? I just click "learn this skill" and then what? Is it in my abilities when I'm fighting automatically?

4. Also, are these games RPGs or adventure games or both?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11687 Posts

Many games and genres have adopted RPG elements to give games longevity and replayability; however that's a shy few steps away from being an RPG game.

RPG games base the core-structure around tabletop mechanics such as Dungeon & Dragon's. Very stat focused, build variety, a ton of customisation, economy, resources, so many options to have a unique experience.

As for Adventure pretty sure that terminology is used for Point n Click games such as Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Telltale.

Overall because played Far Cry 5 recently feel I can sum up its genre. Would say (and tell me if I'm mistaken lovely users of GD) Far Cry is an Open World First Person Shooter, with lite-RPG elements. Primarily most would still just call them FPS games. Yes one has 'some' options in Far Cry but the base of it all is still very coherent. It's about going to an objective and shooting things. Namely in the face.

playerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 playerp

Okay. Do you have an answer to my other questions by any chance?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@playerp:

1. Checking your inventory would answer that question. Generally, if you are having to restart a checkpoint, then you begin with the same inventory you had before. That is, anything you picked up between the checkpoint and when you had to restart is lost.

2. Depends on the game. It's been a long time since I've played Far Cry 3 so I don't remember the checkpoint system very well. In most games I would say that checkpoints also act as safe points to exit the game to return to the same point at a later time.

3. It's applied automatically. I think the game shows you how to use it if it's a new move or something that would require you to know a new control.

4. Those are pretty broad terms and I would say Far Cry 3 has elements of both. I would say it's best described as an FPS RPG, although its RPG elements are pretty basic compared to games that are primarily an RPG.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11687 Posts

@playerp said:

Okay. Do you have an answer to my other questions by any chance?

Your other three questions ask about Far Cry 3 in particular, Far Cry 5 was my first and last FC game. As such not entirely sure how things change from, four/ five games is it?

Sonin360 has you covered for the other questions regardless. He's a reliable user that knows his games.

playerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 playerp

@SoNin360: Thank you. Great response!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

@playerp said:

1. When you pick up items, but then fail a mission and have to do the same things all over again, you will find the same items again. Does this mean that what you picked up before was lost when you had to respawn, or are you getting more of the same loot?

2. How come in Far Cry 3 (and is this common?) you have to complete a mission before turning off the game? If you don't, you have to start all over again, which is really frustrating if you are 3/4 through a tough mission. Why can't you continue from checkpoint saves the next day?

3. In Far Cry 3, when you "learn" different skills, how do you employ them? I just click "learn this skill" and then what? Is it in my abilities when I'm fighting automatically?

1. You don't really fail missions in most games any more, you just die and respawn. You will get the same loot; if it does not spawn with you, then you will find it in the same spot.

2. I agree, checkpoint saves are terrible. With that said, I never found it particularly frustrating in the Far Cry series to have to go back 5 minutes. Plus the missions are generally fun, replaying isn't a big deal.

Common? Yes, but generally not a huge problem. Obviously manual saves at any point are ideal, but for the most part not that bad.

3. The skill descriptions will tell you. Generally it's some variation of something you already do. So for example if you get the death from below skill, usually you just have to melee attack someone from below. If you get the kill-streak skill (forgot the name, but it;'s the one where you can melee multiple people in a row if they are close enough), you just keep tapping the melee attack button at the right moment

4. Neither. They are action/shooter/FPS games. Don't let the skill system fool you; these games are far from RPG's.