question for those who play the COD series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chertoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chertoo
Member since 2009 • 536 Posts

how long does it take for you to finish one of those games?

and now that they have successfully annihalated most of the map making and modding of the fps industry in comparrison to before, how qickly do you get bored of online play?

would buying 1 out of every 3 cod series games you play seem like a fair value to you?

thank you for responses.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I only play sp. The campaigns take me about 6-8 hours. MW2 took me 7 and a half hours to beat.

EDIT: As for the rest of the COD games I don't remember how long exactly but like I said about 6-8 hours.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Singleplayer 5 hours but i often get back, the firing mechanics are better than half the fps made on unreal enigne...no, ALL of them. I like mp for what it is, some of us dont like vehicles so battlefield isnt an option. As for mods? i HATE what mods did to cod4 on pc. They put alot of players in the game and unbalance it and i could not find a map that it was the default game and not some crazy altered mod. I never played cod online till cod4, which revolutionized mp fps,Still it had something missing. cod waw was pretty bad, MW2 was awesome and while black ops was a step up from waw it was not as good as mw2.
xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

how long does it take for you to finish one of those games?chertoo

Still not done with Sp yet, gonna finish it this friday if I can and I'd say it'll take me about... 8 hours, considering this is my first cod game and my friend forced me to play on veteran right away :P

and now that they have successfully annihalated most of the map making and modding of the fps industry in comparrison to before, how qickly do you get bored of online play?

chertoo

Are you saying that because modding is gone, multiplayer got boring? Not for me, I'm glad they got kicked out, I'm never bored of online play because there's always something to achieve, and it's always fun to play with friends.

would buying 1 out of every 3 cod series games you play seem like a fair value to you?

chertoo

I don't like the way they have too much cod games, but yeah I buy the games mostly for the story, it's worth hearing out especially if and when it's at a discounted price

chertoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chertoo

Are you saying that because modding is gone, multiplayer got boring? Not for me, I'm glad they got kicked out, I'm never bored of online play because there's always something to achieve, and it's always fun to play with friends.

xxKai

i dunno, achievements are just fluff i think, distracts from the fact theyve released like 10 games that are pretty much exactly the same but for full price

but dont you wish there were 500 maps instead of just 5-10? i doubt anyone plays a cod game online more than a few months without getting bored, just a shame i think, im an old fan of doom, ut2004, etc where a culture built up over years

every cod game released, aside from a new single player story, is pretty much just an addon for old cod games, while game makers release completely new concept games for the same price

just doesnt feel right to spend $60 on each new game in the series, thats the price an 80% new concept/art/etc game should cost, such as duke forever, etc.. i dunno, just like paying full price for a used pair of jeans, 1/3 price would be better

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

[QUOTE="xxKai"]

chertoo

i dunno, achievements are just fluff i think, distracts from the fact theyve released like 10 games that are pretty much exactly the same but for full price

Well no not achievements, because all Cod achievements were available through Single player and spec ops. I do agree, they put out too much games on there that are exactly the same and I hate buying the same game, but like I said, if it's not at full price, maybe even 30 bucks, I'd buy it. Campaign's always what I buy the game for, Mp's just a bonus

but dont you wish there were 500 maps instead of just 5-10? i doubt anyone plays a cod game online more than a few months without getting bored, just a shame i think, im an old fan of doom, ut2004, etc where a culture built up over years

chertoo

500 maps. no, not 500, stop exaggerating :P there's 16 maps that come with the game, and that's enough for me. I probably will get bored though, but for now I'm good

every cod game released, aside from a new single player story, is pretty much just an addon for old cod games, while game makers release completely new concept games for the same price

just doesnt feel right to spend $60 on each new game in the series, thats the price an 80% new concept/art/etc game should cost, such as duke forever, etc.. i dunno, just like paying full price for a used pair of jeans, 1/3 price would be better

chertoo

Like I said, I only buy the game for Single player, and I always look for a discount, because you're right it's not worth getting the game at full price

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
In recent years I've played the CoD4 and MW2 campaigns at least 4 times each, including twice on Veteran difficulty, I just love the plot and I think people who say there is none clearly skipped all the cutscenes or played with music covering the dialogue and couldn't wrap their heads around the story. Each playthrough takes about 7-10 hours depending on the difficulty. In the future I'm positive I may skip spinoffs like WaW and Black Ops and buy them later, since I'm mostly interested in the MW storyline (Cpt. Price being my favorite character in the series). I also spent several hundred hours on Special Ops in MW2, either in coop or single player
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Took me most of the times 8 hours to complete. (playing it slow) After that im playing it on veteran around 12 hours -,-.

The online play is most of the times just around 3 full prestiges and them im done (exept with cod4), its pretty fun but can be annoying as hell.

Its worth to play them all, even the first one.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

It usually takes me about 8 hours to play through the campaign in a Call of Duty game which seems fine to me because I really enjoy the pace of the games and there's typically no unnecessary 'padding' to make the games longer. I'll also replay the campaigns a number of times on the higher difficulties.

I play the games on console so modding really isn't all that important to me. I really like the official maps that they put out themselves anyways and they space them out well so I don't get bored with the online play.

Personally I really like how they handle the franchise right now with having two development studios taking two years to make their game but releasing it on a yearly basis. After a year of playing the game on and off I'm ready for the next one.
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

I think beating CoD4 on Veteran took me something like 7 hours. MW2 - the same amount of time plus something like 8 more hours for getting all stars in SpecOps.

As for multiplayer: I don't bother with it.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

I beat COD2 SP in 5 hours. :P

chertoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chertoo

In recent years I've played the CoD4 and MW2 campaigns at least 4 times each, including twice on Veteran difficulty, I just love the plot and I think people who say there is none clearly skipped all the cutscenes or played with music covering the dialogue and couldn't wrap their heads around the story. Each playthrough takes about 7-10 hours depending on the difficulty. In the future I'm positive I may skip spinoffs like WaW and Black Ops and buy them later, since I'm mostly interested in the MW storyline (Cpt. Price being my favorite character in the series). I also spent several hundred hours on Special Ops in MW2, either in coop or single playerBlack_Knight_00

i dont get how you can stand playing a completely linear 5 hour game over and over again.. wow

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dakan45

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]In recent years I've played the CoD4 and MW2 campaigns at least 4 times each, including twice on Veteran difficulty, I just love the plot and I think people who say there is none clearly skipped all the cutscenes or played with music covering the dialogue and couldn't wrap their heads around the story. Each playthrough takes about 7-10 hours depending on the difficulty. In the future I'm positive I may skip spinoffs like WaW and Black Ops and buy them later, since I'm mostly interested in the MW storyline (Cpt. Price being my favorite character in the series). I also spent several hundred hours on Special Ops in MW2, either in coop or single playerchertoo

i dont get how you can stand playing a completely linear 5 hour game over and over again.. wow

On the other hand i dont get how people manage to complete assasin creed, its the same thing again or why do they replay mass effect? Its just some diffirent dialogues, thats all. Go figure.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]In recent years I've played the CoD4 and MW2 campaigns at least 4 times each, including twice on Veteran difficulty, I just love the plot and I think people who say there is none clearly skipped all the cutscenes or played with music covering the dialogue and couldn't wrap their heads around the story. Each playthrough takes about 7-10 hours depending on the difficulty. In the future I'm positive I may skip spinoffs like WaW and Black Ops and buy them later, since I'm mostly interested in the MW storyline (Cpt. Price being my favorite character in the series). I also spent several hundred hours on Special Ops in MW2, either in coop or single playerchertoo

Gameplay is perfect, the soundtrack is amazing, enemies are smart, the plot is intriguing, there's a million guns to pick up, combines great action with great stealth. Plus, I don't play them over and over, I beat them 4 times each and CoD4 has been out for almost 4 years while MW2 has been out for one year and a half
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hatiko

I guess you've never watched a movie more than once.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

The last COD game I've played through was Black Ops and that took me a week to go through and I only did so just to gain the achievement of beating the game, along with many others I could pick up.

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Usually around 6 hours. I usually play them on Veteran for an extra challenge since the other difficulties are too easy.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

The last COD game I've played through was Black Ops and that took me a week to go through and I only did so just to gain the achievement of beating the game, along with many others I could pick up.

Metamania
Did you ever play CoD 4 or MW2? The campaign in either is far superior to Black Ops. Highly recommended. You can skip multiplayer, but the campaign deserves to be played
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Black_Knight_00

Did you ever play CoD 4 or MW2? The campaign in either is far superior to Black Ops. Highly recommended. You can skip multiplayer, but the campaign deserves to be played

Yes I did. The next comment will probably have you drop your jaw to the floor, but I found the campaign for both MW1 and 2 to be boring, the cast not so great and I just wasn't attached to the whole war deal...it's been done to death a million times over.. At least Black Ops tried something a little different by keeping the player in suspense and having us play the game just to find out more about the hero and what he was all about and why he did what he did.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Yes I did. The next comment will probably have you drop your jaw to the floor, but I found the campaign for both MW1 and 2 to be boring, the cast not so great and I just wasn't attached to the whole war deal...it's been done to death a million times over.. At least Black Ops tried something a little different by keeping the player in suspense and having us play the game just to find out more about the hero and what he was all about and why he did what he did.

What are you talking about "did what he did"? We have no clue until the end and after that all we get is some dumb mind control/ surgery scene that made no sense at all.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

I see what you mean, the story in Black Ops was definitely more clever and well written than any MW. Still, I really like the idea of a terrorist plot to pit nation against nation and cause WW3, with a handful of renegade soldiers hunted by both sides while struggling to capture the terrorist leader and avert the conflict

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Did you ever play CoD 4 or MW2? The campaign in either is far superior to Black Ops. Highly recommended. You can skip multiplayer, but the campaign deserves to be playedHatiko

What are you talking about "did what he did"? We have no clue until the end and after that all we get is some dumb mind control/ surgery scene that made no sense at all.

If I remember correctly, Mason was involved in a brainwashing program to understand the numbers broadcast, effectively becoming a Soviet sleeper agent. I also remember Mason executing Steiner as well, although Mason was adamant that it was Reznov that killed Steiner. That's what I think was the sole purpose of the mind control/surgery - to have Mason do what the enemy wanted.

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

*Large spoiler post*

Might want to put spoiler tags on that, for those who haven't finished the game.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dakan45

Gameplay is perfect, the soundtrack is amazing, enemies are smart, the plot is intriguing, there's a million guns to pick up, combines great action with great stealth. Plus, I don't play them over and over, I beat them 4 times each and CoD4 has been out for almost 4 years while MW2 has been out for one year and a halfBlack_Knight_00

I agree totally i played cod4 so many times, mw2 even more because of more action and more guns. Lots of guns really improve replay value in this kinda games. Also cod has the most solid aiming mechanics i have ever seen in an fps. Unlike fps made on unreal engine .

What are you talking about "did what he did"? We have no clue until the end and after that all we get is some dumb mind control/ surgery scene that made no sense at all.Hatiko

Actually that was a typical 60's anti-communist sleeper brainwashed spies theory that was pretty strong back then. I think there is even a movie about it.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Gameplay is perfect, the soundtrack is amazing, enemies are smart, the plot is intriguing, there's a million guns to pick up, combines great action with great stealth. Plus, I don't play them over and over, I beat them 4 times each and CoD4 has been out for almost 4 years while MW2 has been out for one year and a halfdakan45

I agree totally i played cod4 so many times, mw2 even more because of more action and more guns. Lots of guns really improve replay value in this kinda games. Also cod has the most solid aiming mechanics i have ever seen in an fps. Unlike fps made on unreal engine .

What are you talking about "did what he did"? We have no clue until the end and after that all we get is some dumb mind control/ surgery scene that made no sense at all.Hatiko

Actually that was a typical 60's anti-communist sleeper brainwashed spies theory that was pretty strong back then. I think there is even a movie about it.

Manchurian Candidate was it?

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

If I remember correctly, Mason was involved in a brainwashing program to understand the numbers broadcast, effectively becoming a Soviet sleeper agent. I also remember Mason executing Steiner as well, although Mason was adamant that it was Reznov that killed Steiner. That's what I think was the sole purpose of the mind control/surgery - to have Mason do what the enemy wanted.

It was just kind of weird how they tried to shove it all down your throat at once. Although the only thing that kept me in suspense was what the numbers meant.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Single player takes me about 7 hours.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I beat the campaigns in like 2-3 evenings after work. The multiplayer sometimes gets me interested another times I don't play it at all. It depends on my mood I guess.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hatiko

It was just kind of weird how they tried to shove it all down your throat at once. Although the only thing that kept me in suspense was what the numbers meant.

That was also part of the reason why I stuck with the campaign in BO, because I wanted to know what the numbers were for.. Like I said, at least BO went in a different direction and tried something new for a change.

chertoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chertoo

[QUOTE="chertoo"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]In recent years I've played the CoD4 and MW2 campaigns at least 4 times each, including twice on Veteran difficulty, I just love the plot and I think people who say there is none clearly skipped all the cutscenes or played with music covering the dialogue and couldn't wrap their heads around the story. Each playthrough takes about 7-10 hours depending on the difficulty. In the future I'm positive I may skip spinoffs like WaW and Black Ops and buy them later, since I'm mostly interested in the MW storyline (Cpt. Price being my favorite character in the series). I also spent several hundred hours on Special Ops in MW2, either in coop or single playerHatiko

games arent movies, even though they last just as long now days

a games linear gameplay couldnt possibly interest me a second time around, very rare, and definitely not 4 times

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="chertoo"]

chertoo

a games linear gameplay couldnt possibly interest me a second time around, very rare, and definitely not 4 times

Why not?

I am not saying that movies are games but when you watch a movie a second time it is the exact same. There is no deviation in the plot. It's like if you play a linear game more than once, there is no deviation at all from the first time through.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="chertoo"]

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hatiko

Why not?

I am not saying that movies are games but when you watch a movie a second time it is the exact same. There is no deviation in the plot. It's like if you play a linear game more than once, there is no deviation at all from the first time through.

This further proves my idea that most gamers today don't care about single player, let alone a good plot: they quickly breeze through campaign mode once (maybe not even that) and jump straight into multiplayer. Of course they don't understand why we enjoy multiple playthroughs: even playing single player once was a chore to them
PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

5-6 hours for the first time then it gets lower if I replay it again.Changing difficulty varies and game quality.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts
It only takes several hours to beat a game, but just because you beat something doesn't mean you just say "been there, done that" and retire it. I can play the SP several times over until I shelve it, I'm not to big on multiplayer though I did enjoy the co-op missions in MW2. Lots of people I've known to buy COD don't even play the SP part of the game, they just go into MP, I'd imagine it's those people that treat every COD game like a clone of the one before it. These games have there own stories, own settings, I think ever game gives me something new and I don't mind buying each installment, even if I'm not a big fan of the competitive MP.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hatiko

It only takes several hours to beat a game, but just because you beat something doesn't mean you just say "been there, done that" and retire it. I can play the SP several times over until I shelve it, I'm not to big on multiplayer though I did enjoy the co-op missions in MW2. Lots of people I've known to buy COD don't even play the SP part of the game, they just go into MP, I'd imagine it's those people that treat every COD game like a clone of the one before it. These games have there own stories, own settings, I think ever game gives me something new and I don't mind buying each installment, even if I'm not a big fan of the competitive MP.lamprey263

I agree with this completely. every complaint is from people that don't understand that the MW series is a continuity that actually goes with the previous games story wise. They say "Oh look! Let's do WW3 again! New story plaese.", well duh, it's continuing from MW2.Or they criticize the mp by looking at a sp trailer.

Shaggy_online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shaggy_online
Member since 2004 • 375 Posts

- In MW2 it took me about 6 hours on veteran.

- I don't get bored .. i just play MP for 2 - 4 hours and stop playing . not because i got bored .. but i don't like to play games for more than 2 - 4 hours .

- I only bought MW2 and waiting for MW3 ... i tried Black Ops but didn't like it .

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

dakan45

Wow mate, how much more are you gonna state your opinion about the unreal games not being to your liking? That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, it means your taste in shooters is quite limited.

cRRn1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cRRn1234
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The campaign mode is always very short, can usually be completed in a matter of hours. The online part however provides endless entertainment.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]

Geosisnl

Wow mate, how much more are you gonna state your opinion about the unreal games not being to your liking? That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, it means your taste in shooters is quite limited.

Name one fps on unreal engine. I say AGAIN fps not third person. with better aiming and firing mechanics than cod.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#40 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I mainly play the campaign in the CoD games. I don't do much with the multiplayer at the moment.

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Campaigns are 8-10 hours at the most, and it took me hundreds of hours of online play to get bored for a few months. Now I'm trying to reinstall WAW, that's how much I miss COD.