Q: Looking for an FPS suggestion..!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MadCtrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MadCtrl
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I used to play ETQW quite a lot then I kind of forgot about it for other things, but when I recently looked into it again I saw it's been taken off Steam and is, for all intents and purposes, dead. I was wondering if there are any games out there that provide a similar experience on a relatively low budget (I'm a student, after all).

I tried out ET:W, and I didn't like the whole xps thing or most of the maps. I've been dabbling in TF2 and it's a pretty fun game to dip in and out of, but doesn't have the depth or scale map-wise that QW had.

Ideally, an objective-based, class-dependent, teamwork-ish game with bigger maps. I'm particularly a fan of the arcadey/twitchy style of shooting found in above titles, rather than the whole 'challenge via. realism' thing that CS and others have. I'm not worried about graphical quality or anything, and just a small player base will do. And again: free/cheap is preferred. I'm not in a position to be dishing out £40 for the latest releases. And besides, my system probably wouldn't run them too well, anyway.

Thank you for your time!

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts

Quake 3:arena is still alive, though you would likely get slaughtered if you tried entering today.

The Tribes:ascend GOTY edition is on sale on steam now for $10, which gets you all of the unlockables. It should be something like what you're looking for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

aw that game was good, sadly it had a very distinct feel that I find hard to come by.

The team made another game, which never got off the ground.

Per sonally I would likely suggest Planetside 2, its F2P so no barrier of entry, it is not really the same, but at times it can feel a bit like it. Objectives are handled quite differently though.

so you might want to take a chance on that one.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I would have recommended the remake of Nexuiz.. but sadly that too has been pulled out of Steam. Give warsow a whirl.. its free and quite active.

MadCtrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MadCtrl
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Thanks for the replies all, I remember trying out Tribes a while ago and having some fun, although it seemed pretty hard to me lol. The GOTA edition looks awesome though and I definitely might check that out. I'll have a gander at those other titles you guys recommended. Thanks!

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zijuun
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

Enemy Territory looks really fun, I might try it out.

And you really should try out the online version of Counter Strike. It's addicting, very fun, simple and balanced.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/IgorLevochkin/counter-strike-web-browser-based-port-v2

If you don't already have Unity 3D, it only takes a few minutes to download. Try it out! :D